shape
carat
color
clarity

All about feldspar (moonstone, labradorite, sunstone, etc.)

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think moonstones and feldspars are just beautiful in the less expensive forms as well. Thankfully there is beauty at all price points! I recently purchased some lovely peach moonstone beads, and a suite of grey moonstone earrings, pendant and ring

Meant to quote you for above post.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some the peach moonstone beads which I bought at a jewelry supply store sale. They are just too beautiful not to do something with! They were very, very inexpensive, but every one has a Schiller sheen. Maybe a torsade with small, glittery gold beads?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great thread! I love moonstones! I have one bracelet with very blue sheen moonstones. My mother visited Sri Lanka this Spring and purchased two large, blue sheen ovals to make earrings from so that I finally will have a set to go with the bracelet. I haven't seen them yet though.
Here's my collection of feldspars: taken with both flash and no flash because my bedroom is very shaded.
First, a golden/white, tiny moonstone, 18k necklace.
Next, an antique moonstone and sapphire bracelet. Originally, there were opals in this bracelet, but they were very cracked and were replaced with these.
Next a blue moonstone briolet, 18k, prehnite, and aquamarine necklace. This one reminds me of a spring time mossy forest with mist.
Then a labradorite nexklace with two gold and silver beads. I get so many compliments on this simple necklace!
Finally, moonstone a lite feldspar bangles.

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2895.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

I LOVE the floral themed necklaces and bracelet, Bluegemz! It's a pity Myanmar is running low on blue sheen moonstones, otherwise I'd geab a bunch to make similar ones too. Looks like the Sri Lankan mines are still producing well.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the floral themed necklaces and bracelet, Bluegemz! It's a pity Myanmar is running low on blue sheen moonstones, otherwise I'd geab a bunch to make similar ones too. Looks like the Sri Lankan mines are still producing well.
Burmezedaze, thank you! That is such a pity that the mines are running low there. According to my mother, who took a trip to Sri Lanka to relax, ( I told her that she was going to gem island and I'd never forgive her if she left without a few stones lol!) finding the stones wasn't so easy. She had to go to a number of sellers. They had more small ones than larger.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course, there are plenty coming from India. I believe the little golden white ones in one of my necklaces are made with Indian moonstones. Not the blue flash kind, but still gorgeous.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ah i did see the gold sheen moonstones from Bihar at the Bangkok gem fair but they were on the small side and included.
The gold sheen moonstones in Myanmar are rarer than the blue sheen and command a premium. I will try to take some photos of the ones my jeweller has tomorrow to show. There's also a lavender cats eye moonstone, which I suspect has scapolite content. Pretty interesting.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are the photos I promised. The tiny one in my open hand is a golden moonstone but can't quite capture by my mobile phone. I was told before the mines here were depleted, they used to have more golden ones.

The ones at the top that are purple and pink cats eyes are scapolites.

I realise whatever the light source, i can't get the right sheen and shade on my phone. Oh well, nevertheless, just enjoy the photos :)

20170521_133740-1.jpg

20170521_133754-1.jpg

20170521_134709.jpg

20170521_134151-1.jpg

20170521_134402.jpg

20170521_133750.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burmezedaze, thank you for coming through with the pictures! This is my idea of fun, seeing these gems. Now I see what a precious golden moonstone is, and now I'm kicking myself because once my jeweler tried To sell me a 22k pendant with large, golden moonstones (that type which you showed) at a great deal.
Those moonstones are all beautiful in clarity. I love the scapolites especially because of the pastel body colors. I'll have to read up about the hardness and toughness . I'm wondering how expensive they are, and wether they would be a good ring stone. Were you tempted by any that you saw?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are the photos I promised. The tiny one in my open hand is a golden moonstone but can't quite capture by my mobile phone. I was told before the mines here were depleted, they used to have more golden ones.

The ones at the top that are purple and pink cats eyes are scapolites.

I realise whatever the light source, i can't get the right sheen and shade on my phone. Oh well, nevertheless, just enjoy the photos :)

20170521_133740-1.jpg

20170521_133754-1.jpg

20170521_134709.jpg

20170521_134151-1.jpg

20170521_134402.jpg

20170521_133750.jpg

Wow, I was told that pink scapolite are very very rare. I wonder how much is the pink cat's eye scapolite. Is the purple scapolite also very rare? You are so lucky seeing all these wonderful gems. I am looking for a large moonstone but I don't see any online vendor has any. What is the largest transparent blue moonstone you have seen?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I'm late to the party! I am having a moonstone fever lately. Already made 2 pairs of faceted moonstone earrings, 1 moonstone ring and 1 creating a CAD at this moment. I love both blue ones and rainbow ones! Faceted or cabochon!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Adding two incredible rainbow moonstone pictures. The biggest pear is wholly 15cts. Although gorgeous, too big for my taste:lol-2::shhh:

I bought the smallest two stones in the center as a pair. No idea what to do yet.

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bluegemz and pwsg07, I will check out the price this weekend :) I can't remember but I didn't think it was exorbitant. I like the colours but I wouldn't know what to do with them as I'm a ring and earring person and they are too soft for rings.

The largest are probably the ringstones, but nothing as fine as OTL's! Like my jeweller says, the better ones are all sold and the mines closed or depleted. Only the white ones are common here now. I like the blue sheen pair in the black box but they are too small as earrings and would be lost with my long hair and ahem I'm getting to that age where dainty things on me don't look cute.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz and pwsg07, I will check out the price this weekend :) I can't remember but I didn't think it was exorbitant. I like the colours but I wouldn't know what to do with them as I'm a ring and earring person and they are too soft for rings.

The largest are probably the ringstones, but nothing as fine as OTL's! Like my jeweller says, the better ones are all sold and the mines closed or depleted. Only the white ones are common here now. I like the blue sheen pair in the black box but they are too small as earrings and would be lost with my long hair and ahem I'm getting to that age where dainty things on me don't look cute.
Lol! I'm getting to that age too. It's funny but dainty things just look too young for me now. Thank you for the pics and the info on the scapolites!

OTL, better late than never! I love that large moonstone. If only I could find one like that for a pendant to go with my blue moonstone bracelet. You have gorgeous stones! Do you have a plan for it? It deserves a fabulous setting.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Adding two incredible rainbow moonstone pictures. The biggest pear is wholly 15cts. Although gorgeous, too big for my taste:lol-2::shhh:

I bought the smallest two stones in the center as a pair. No idea what to do yet.

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

OTL, your collection is amazing. I have never seen rainbow moonstone or blue sheen moonstone this big and I like that they are water clear. You can make a suite with these stone. Actually, I have never seen rainbow moonstone in my life. I didn't seen any in the show in Vancouver.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would guess 'rainbow moonstone' , which is a white labradorite. Gorgeous!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearaffair: that is so lovely and unique!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_0410.JPG My engagement ring is a feldspar!

What kind would you suppose it is?

Do you wear this ring everyday? How long have you worn it? How is it holding up?! Sorry for the million questions i'm so excited to see this stone as a everyday stone haha!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OTL, showed your bedazzling moonstones to my local jewellers. They said the Burma moonstones of old were like that... But those mines are now closed and no one is allowed to go near them... Hmm

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OTL, showed your bedazzling moonstones to my local jewellers. They said the Burma moonstones of old were like that... But those mines are now closed and no one is allowed to go near them... Hmm

Forgive my dumb-ness... So what does this mean?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
OTL, your collection is amazing. I have never seen rainbow moonstone or blue sheen moonstone this big and I like that they are water clear. You can make a suite with these stone. Actually, I have never seen rainbow moonstone in my life. I didn't seen any in the show in Vancouver.
I didn't know Vancouver has a gem show! Is it Vancouver BC?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know where my jeweler got that big one, but I think it's Sri Lanka, not Burma. I will confirm. Hmm, I am no pendant person but you guys are making me thinking if I should get it....Since it's so rare...:oops2:

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Lol! I'm getting to that age too. It's funny but dainty things just look too young for me now. Thank you for the pics and the info on the scapolites!

OTL, better late than never! I love that large moonstone. If only I could find one like that for a pendant to go with my blue moonstone bracelet. You have gorgeous stones! Do you have a plan for it? It deserves a fabulous setting.
I didn't buy the big one. It was too big and I don't wear necklace. I would went head over toes for it if it's faceted though. Then I can set it in a ring ring ring! :)

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sensitive* mineral deposit...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results