shape
carat
color
clarity

All about feldspar (moonstone, labradorite, sunstone, etc.)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you wear this ring everyday? How long have you worn it? How is it holding up?! Sorry for the million questions i'm so excited to see this stone as a everyday stone haha!

I've worn it off and on for a few years! It does not hold up well for everyday wear - it definitely has some scratches! But it is so pretty and when we got engaged we were on SUCH a budget and I just wanted to get a pretty ring, who cares how soft it is? But now I live in fear of smashing it to bits...

It's cool that it's faceted but probably more at risk of fracturing.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I didn't know Vancouver has a gem show! Is it Vancouver BC?
Yes, are you also from Vancouver? There is a BC gem show at Abbotsford every year. I have never been to this one. There is a Vancouver Gem & Mineral Show this August. Most of the items at the Vancouver Gem And Mineral Show are mineral specimens. Last time I went I only get two lavender rose quartz rough. There are some high price loose gems, but not many choices. But the show is getting better every year.

http://www.bclapidary.com/clubs.html has some mineral shows at different location in BC. I have only been to the one in Richmond.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, are you also from Vancouver? There is a BC gem show at Abbotsford every year. I have never been to this one. There is a Vancouver Gem & Mineral Show this August. Most of the items at the Vancouver Gem And Mineral Show are mineral specimens. Last time I went I only get two lavender rose quartz rough. There are some high price loose gems, but not many choices. But the show is getting better every year.

http://www.bclapidary.com/clubs.html has some mineral shows at different location in BC. I have only been to the one in Richmond.

Thanks for this info, I'll have to make it to a local show one of these days.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of setting feldspar but I got a 25ct. pendant long, long time ago set in silver. It was included but it was only USD110 if I recall.

Then my Burmese stone supplier had these moonstones for 10 years now. I wanted the brass settings and moonstones were the most affordable stones that came with them. I decided to take the 4 stones for USD40 with a TWC of 8.82cts.

On collector feldspars, I have these light, sparkly light blues that looks like an aquamarine. These light blue feldspars as far as I know are only mined in Kenya. I have 2 round ones set in good ol' studs. Definitely needs cleaning but you can see the blue tone well.

The next collector feldspar is a scapolite I got at a gem show, either from India or Pakistan with some rainbow going on in it.

The rest of the photos are a pair of peach sunstones and the rest some loose sunstones and feldspars

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a 10+ carat very transparent moonstone that I saw from one of my cutters. Just some blue hovering on top. I also attached a photo of it together with the typical moonstone.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Re: All about feldspar (moonstone, labradorite, sunstone, et

Superb deep blue with incredible transparency and clarity from the GIA website.

moonstone_satellite.jpg

moonstone_0.jpg
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl: Excuse me while I get my jaw from off the floor.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 10+ carat very transparent moonstone that I saw from one of my cutters. Just some blue hovering on top. I also attached a photo of it together with the typical moonstone.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
So lovely! I particularly love your pendant though. It's very dreamy and the plump shape and good size make it gorgeous. Some inclusions give it just a tad of body, like a mist instead of clear sky. Beautiful in a different way. I think you found a steal! Also LOVE those wonderful blue ones. Thank you for the great pictures!

The more I look, the more I realize it is quite an endeavor to find a nice, good sized blue moonstone for a pendant. I saw a large one at my jewelers, where I bought the antique moonstone bracelet. It was over the top expensive with the gold and diamonds around. Sigh...

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bluegemz and pwsg07, I will check out the price this weekend :) I can't remember but I didn't think it was exorbitant. I like the colours but I wouldn't know what to do with them as I'm a ring and earring person and they are too soft for rings.

The largest are probably the ringstones, but nothing as fine as OTL's! Like my jeweller says, the better ones are all sold and the mines closed or depleted. Only the white ones are common here now. I like the blue sheen pair in the black box but they are too small as earrings and would be lost with my long hair and ahem I'm getting to that age where dainty things on me don't look cute.

Some extra photos of the scapolites for you ladies :) the lilac one is around US$250. The larger pink is at US$850 as that's really rare. More for collectors than anything else, since local Burmese still prefer their gold and diamonds. I don't know if that's pricey or not as I don't have a basis for comparison.

20170528_132756.jpg

20170528_132814.jpg

20170528_132826.jpg

20170528_132838.jpg

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some extra photos of the scapolites for you ladies :) the lilac one is around US$250. The larger pink is at US$850 as that's really rare. More for collectors than anything else, since local Burmese still prefer their gold and diamonds. I don't know if that's pricey or not as I don't have a basis for comparison.

20170528_132756.jpg

20170528_132814.jpg

20170528_132826.jpg

20170528_132838.jpg
Thank you for telling us the price. I have no idea about the price of the cat's eye scapolite. I just remember pink is very rare and the pink cat's eye make it ultra rare.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burmezedaze, thank you! They are gorgeous. I've been searching, and I haven't found any others which would serve as a base for comparison either. I think the lavender one is adorable. Both would make lovely pendants.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love moonstone so great thread! :love:

I have a 3 stone ring that I've been wearing almost daily for the past year (no scratches so far!) Sorry I didn't have an individual pic...

Also I inherited a lovely moonstone sterling silver Scorpion brooch from my Grandmother as my star sign is Scorpio. My best friend also kindly gave me a topaz & labrodite necklace but I don't have any pics to handy show you.
IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0219.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love moonstone so great thread! :love:

I have a 3 stone ring that I've been wearing almost daily for the past year (no scratches so far!) Sorry I didn't have an individual pic...

Also I inherited a lovely moonstone sterling silver Scorpion brooch from my Grandmother as my star sign is Scorpio. My best friend also kindly gave me a topaz & labrodite necklace but I don't have any pics to handy show you.
IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0219.JPG
Wow, I love your moonstone ring! And, all of your other rings too. Those must be fun to stack in various combinations. Very cool scorpion!!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This pair of moonstones with a nice golden-white sheen grabbed my attention in a shop. It's in an old style setting with screwbacks that cater to non pierced ears. Definitely old stock. My jeweller was with me and confirmed that the current mines in Myanmar don't produce moonstones like these anymore. Available for a *mere* US$4500. STEEP MUCH.

20170616_144430.jpg

20170616_144428-1.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This pair of moonstones with a nice golden-white sheen grabbed my attention in a shop. It's in an old style setting with screwbacks that cater to non pierced ears. Definitely old stock. My jeweller was with me and confirmed that the current mines in Myanmar don't produce moonstones like these anymore. Available for a *mere* US$4500. STEEP MUCH.

20170616_144430.jpg

20170616_144428-1.jpg
Burmesedaze, thank you for those pictures. Oh gosh, now I understand what the golden moonstones are like. That price! Now I'm angry at myself for forgoing a large, 2 inch pendant in 22k gold, with a cluster of large, golden moonstones in it. This was 6 years ago, and she was selling it for $2,400. Stupid, stupid stupid! I knew I should have bought it. I've missed the chance unless I find through the secondary market. They are overwhelmingly beautiful!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh Bluegemz, they are definitely more golden irl with a secondary light blue sheen. Decent size too! While they aren't transparent clear, they are very clean with no inclusions.

I totally understand balking at that price for just moonstones!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a couple of bangles made of Dalmatian stone aka Dalmatian Jasper. However, there is quite an argument on this as some claim the stone is not jasper and is actually composed of feldspar and quartz, while the black spots are tourmaline or some type of amphibole.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple of bangles made of Dalmatian stone aka Dalmatian Jasper. However, there is quite an argument on this as some claim the stone is not jasper and is actually composed of feldspar and quartz, while the black spots are tourmaline or some type of amphibole.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Those are stunning! I've seen this material before and always thought that it's so dramatic. Those bangles are super elegant and just so unique. How interesting. It doesn't surprise me. The albite feldspar moonstone bangles I have also have a black and white coloration, ( they are on page 2 of this thread for reference) . And I've seen a lot of feldspars with black minerals mixed in on crystal specimens.

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Bluegemz!

The matrix, up close, is interesting. The black portions take a different polish from the white portions, and the yellow mineral is actually transparent.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Bluegemz!

The matrix, up close, is interesting. The black portions take a different polish from the white portions, and the yellow mineral is actually transparent.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
That is stunningly beautiful! What a find! Are they a recent purchase?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is stunningly beautiful! What a find! Are they a recent purchase?

Yes. I got it from a street market. The seller had about 8 bangles, and the colors and patterns were slightly different from each other. I chose the 2 patterns and color that I find most appealing.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I got it from a street market. The seller had about 8 bangles, and the colors and patterns were slightly different from each other. I chose the 2 patterns and color that I find most appealing.
Really great buy! There was once a seller on etsy from whom I bought my bangles...she had some like yours, and also a kind in between yours and mine, with large areas of yellow translucence, and marbled greys and blacks. I wish I would have purchased more because now they are no longer. She's the only person who I've seen who had such interesting and elegant bangles in these unique stones! They were literally gone within a few days. Anyway, I think those suit you well, because they are very much a unique beauty.

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Really great buy! There was once a seller on etsy from whom I bought my bangles...she had some like yours, and also a kind in between yours and mine, with large areas of yellow translucence, and marbled greys and blacks. I wish I would have purchased more because now they are no longer. She's the only person who I've seen who had such interesting and elegant bangles in these unique stones! They were literally gone within a few days. Anyway, I think those suit you well, because they are very much a unique beauty.

Bluegemz!
I got a couple more bangles from the seller with different patterns (see photo). If you want and it fits you (it's 59-60mm inner diameter), I can give you the one with the dalmatian pattern (no strings attached) but I don't know how coz there's no PM here on PS. I am at another gemology forum though with a PM.

image.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, YES! I would love one! I can wear anything from 56 up. I'd love to contact you on the other forum. You are so kind. I'm delighted. Thank you!

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if we are allowed to mention the name of other forums here but yes. Better make an edit though. :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oops ok, done.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my, YES! I would love one! I can wear anything from 56 up. I'd love to contact you on the other forum. You are so kind. I'm delighted. Thank you!

Same handle name at the gemology forum. :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do I access PM there? Actually I'm not authorized yet to PM because I just signed up. Maybe you should pm me , maybe that would work? Same handle! I just posted on an imperial jade thread, but will take some time before it becomes viewable for some reason.

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How do I access PM there? Actually I'm not authorized yet to PM because I just signed up. Maybe you should pm me , maybe that would work? Same handle! I just posted on an imperial jade thread, but will take some time before it becomes viewable for some reason.

Done! But the message seems to stays at the outbox. After several posts you will be allowed to PM. There was also an email option, I tried that one as well. :)

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I will post, but it says that I'm unauthorized to do so, even though I've registered a while ago, but never posted. I contacted a moderator.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a long awaited set of moonstones, and a little story that goes with them. My mother brought these blue moonstones back from Sri Lanka and gave them to me 2 days ago. She mentioned that they were the best she could find there, and had described them as large, clear with a strong blue sheen.

I gave her a picture of my moonstone bracelet as a reference for finding matching stones. They are water clear with a strong, blue Schiller centered on top. I know it's hard to find stones like these, but I'm surprised that these are what she found. I'm not complaining by any means, but the situation surprised me.

First, the well known jewelry store denied having seen stones this blue and said that they must be a synthetic, (a big red flag, as they most certainly are the real thing. But also sometimes pictures do not translate the blue flashes in opals and moonstone well, in other words, in life, the blue of the bracelet doesn't have those bright spots of blue inside the blue...hard to describe. One can get a sense of how they are based on pics by knowing moonstone qualities. )

The store is accredited with a local union or gem association, and has an expensive looking, glossy catalogue. She then purchased these as the best which they had. The larger pair has a slight milkiness to them, but the smaller are more clear although not water clear. She also bought other stones from them as gifts, including a star ruby for my niece, and amazingly some smaller, water clear blue moonstones set in silver as pendants.

She gave me the papers that went with them, and I'm shocked at the price. Though she's not knowledgeable about jewels and not a bargainer, because she believes that people are being fair with stated prices, I'm still really surprised. Basically she paid over 1500 euros for these. I imagine that is a price range for a pair of top blue blue moonstones, water clear with strong, even blue and no inclusions or fractures, though likely considerably smaller than these.

This situation is the opposite of what I had hoped, finding great deals near the source. She found expensive stones near the source. Next time she goes, she told me she will go to the mines to negotiate with the miners.

Of course, I am super grateful and they are plenty beautiful to me. They have a nice size and the blue is beautiful. The milkiness is ethereal. Could it be that moonstones really are becoming this expensive and rare? Maybe she paid for the added expense of a high end store?

Here again is a picture of my bracelet and a picture of the new stones....I'm really grateful for these and will make them into a treasured earring set so that I finally have matching earrings for my 2 blue moonstone necklaces and one bracelet.

IMG_3983.JPG
IMG_3342.JPG

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results