shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS Diamond Quality Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 12:27:53 PM
Author: Pricescope
Update.

As we wrote in the first post, when we first saw the announcement, we emailed to AGS with the following questions.

1. What is the difference in factual grading data and legal aspects between previous grading reports and new certificates? “By publishing this signed document, AGS’ DQC meets the legal definition of a certificate,” said Cecilia Garner, President and CEO of the Jewelers Vigilance Committee.According to Wikipedia: ''A certificate is an official document affirming some fact''. It is not clear how this document is legally different from other grading reports that also provide facts/data on the diamonds.
  2. On the sample of the document there is a disclaimer advising consulting independent expert/gemologist. Furthermore, on the reverse side of the document there is a usual disclaimer of any warranty. What is the value of the certificate, which still requires third party verification and doesn’t warranty anything?
  3. “the DQC is a guarantee of authenticity and performance by the jeweler“. and “The DQC is validated at the retail level, making it the first certificate ever to connect the jeweler to the consumer…The DQC is validated at the retail level, making it the first certificate ever to connect the jeweler to the consumer,” It sounds more like certification of a jeweler than a diamond
  4. The fact that it will only be available for AGS retailers and will not be available in the Internet sounds a bit like protectionism.
  5. Can a diamond with DQC be (re)sold on eBay by private consumers or AGS members (companies) or it becomes invalid and looses its value when used for reselling?
With gratitude, we publish here the reply from Ms. Ruth Batson, executive director and CEO, American Gem Society. (published with permission of Ms. Batson)

Thank you for your interest in the new American Gem Society Diamond Quality Certificate. The AGS created this product as part of its continuing dedication to consumer protection and setting and maintaining the highest possible standard of business ethics and professionalism in the jewelry industry. Prior to launching the DQC, the American Gem Society conferred with, and ultimately received the approval of, the leading legal watchdog in the jewelry industry, the Jewelers Vigilance Committee to call this new grading report a certificate.

The primary benefit of the new DQC is that the consumer receives a written warranty from both the American Gem Society Laboratories and an AGS credentialed jeweler that the information contained in the DQC is accurate. The certificate, however, is not a valuation or an appraisal and therefore the certificate disclaims any representation or warranty regarding the diamond’s value.
Thanks Leonid for this.

A few thoughts from a bystander...

Some items left unaddressed, some addressed, and at least one needs to be reviewed if to be taken appropriately seriously...

For example...

4 - ha
5 - not at all
1 & 3 - efforts made to respond...maybe sufficiently?
2 - this gives me trouble. There are AGS admin fans on this board. Maybe they''ll step up?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Considering earlier discussion in this thread and official clarifications from AGS and JVC, it is pretty much clear the meaning of "certificate" and "grading report".

I guess, any vendor (manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, or appraiser) can issue their own certificates and thus take legal responsibility for information supplied with their goods.

Our only concern in the statement is that AGS DQL won't be available in the Internet.

1. AGS states that it is dedicated "to consumer protection". There are quite a few Internet sources (including Blue Nile that sells about 4% of engagement rings) now and provide great service to consumers although for less price (which is also beneficial to consumers). Why an organization that put protection of consumers first, won't supply good Internet companies with great track-record with the new document?

2. Internet did a lot promoting grading reports from AGS Laboratories because AGSL provided more cut related information for round diamonds and thus help Internet buyers.

Edited to add>> Other labs (EGL, PGS, AGA) provided cut information before AGSL.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2007 12:50:29 PM
Author: Regular Guy

There are AGS admin fans on this board. Maybe they''ll step up?

I guess this is aimed at me since I’m the only AGS member who regularly participates here but we certainly have some non-member supporters as well.

The problem here is in the marketing materials put out by AGS, not in the report itself or the service being offered. AGS and it’s members are an important group of clients for AGSL and they requested a custom document be made available for them. This is not so different from the custom report formatting options available from GCAL, IGI and others to their important clients. Since this document can only be issued by an AGS retail member firm anyway, the only people being restricted by the no Internet sales rule are otherwise eligible AGS firms who choose to advertise online. Tiffany & Co. for example. I can’t say that I fully understand why they would want to limit their own members’ advertising in this way but the explanation given is that they would like for this particular report to used to encourage face-to-face sales. In the end, it’s effectively a cooperative advertising program between AGS and certain members where the majority of the costs fall on the members who choose to use it. Members are under no obligation to participate in this program and the ones with an Internet presence or who are considering making one probably won''t. Whether the development and promotion of this is a worthwhile use of members dues and limited AGS resources is an interesting question that will be answered over time but it’s no more a collective snubbing of Internet customers and retailers than AGS sponsored development of TV commercials and print advertising materials is snubbing members who don’t advertise on TV or consumers who don’t read the newspaper.

My guess is that the ‘no Internet’ thing is going to be dropped from the promotional materials forthwith because the issue is entirely covered in the requirement that the report be signed by a titleholder in the presence of the retail consumer. The rule serves no purpose.

The guarantee component is not transferable so, although consumers and aftermarket dealers are welcome to resell whatever they want and in whatever marketplace they can, the new buyer would not be specifically included in the contractual obligations owed by that original retailer. Non-transferable warranties aren’t unusual and, frankly, I wouldn’t describe it as much of a problem. For the second and subsequent buyers, I would not expect this additional report to represent much if anything in the way added value.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 2:56:56 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 5/21/2007 12:50:29 PM
Author: Regular Guy

There are AGS admin fans on this board. Maybe they''ll step up?

I guess this is aimed at me since I’m the only AGS member who regularly participates here but we certainly have some non-member supporters as well.

Neil,

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, but I miss your hitting my ball...

Re the query #2...

"On the sample of the document there is a disclaimer advising consulting independent expert/gemologist. Furthermore, on the reverse side of the document there is a usual disclaimer of any warranty. What is the value of the certificate, which still requires third party verification and doesn’t warranty anything?"

...for AGS member jewler who might wish to be spending the (what is it...$56 bucks?) for the certificate, if he is asked this by the shopper, what does he say?

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 12:41:54 PM
For those who interested, ethical standards of AGS can be found here: http://www.americangemsociety.org/whoisamericangemsoci.htm

By receiving the answer above from AGS, we took a liberty to ask Ms. Cecilia L. Gardner, JVC’s president, CEO and general counsel, several questions, which are published below along with her answers.

Q: What is legal definition of a certificate?
A: A certificate includes a signature taking legal responsibility for the statement contained therein.

Q: Why traditional grading report cannot be considered a certificate while same report signed by a jeweler can?
A: Because a ''traditional'' grading report is not signed.

As a non legal opinion, I would argue with Ms Gardner that her definition of" certificate" is misleading..

In the past, many "reports", from many labs have been "signed" by unreadable "signatures" which are now replaced by corporate holograms or seals, which, in my opinion, create a "signature", or a written affirmation that the statements made on the paper are "fact", regardless of the fine print on the back disavowing any responsibility for the statements made.

Case in point would be, how could someone sue GIA over Certifigate representations if they were disavoved the moment the paper was printed and before the ink was dry. Of course, most, if not all, of these actions are hidden from public view and "settled" out of court.

There is a compelling arguement for differing viewpoints, as all opinions are subject to uncertainty because the yardsticks used, for lets say color grading, are of varying lengths.

It is the seller who often creates expressed warranties by stating that the diamonds are, for example, "GIA certified", a misnomer, however, consumer and/or trade marketing of, lets say, GIA,IGI, AGS etc reports, could be argued as to creating the semblance of a "guarantee", again regardless of the fine print on the back.

Unfortuantely, "standards" also vary from lab to lab, and in some documented cases, are continually changing to the detriment of the consumer. Is it a "true D" or a "new D" because of fluorescence, case in point.

My two cents...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ira,

Presumably the consultation with a Certified Gemologist is happening at the same time that the certificate is being presented to the customer and adding the signature by the titleholder is the culmination of that discussion so I don’t see this as being any problem at all.

The statement on the back is from AGSL, not from either AGS or the retailer. I presume that it was put there by AGSL attorneys who want to establish that THEY aren’t doing anything different here. It’s effectively identical to what appears on the back of both the DQD and DQR. The retailer will need to offer some sort of ‘terms and conditions’ from their own store that explains what offer it is that they are making and why your diamond purchase is better because it comes from them rather than one of their numerous competitors. The consumer then get''s to decide how persuasive this argument is. Whether it''s worth the $59 to the store or if they would be better off simply producing their own paperwork is yet to be seen and I think it depends largely on whether AGS spends significant member resources promoting this particular program to the public. I wouldn''t call it a particularly good use of MY dues but I''m probably not the right person to ask since Independent Appraisers are specifically excluded from the program.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Neil, let me ask you a question about very simple theoretical but possible scenario.

An AGS jeweler has a diamond with such certificate in hand and DO NOT agree with the color listed. What would he/she do - sign, don''t sign?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2007 5:44:25 PM
Thank you Neil, let me ask you a question about very simple theoretical but possible scenario.

An AGS jeweler has a diamond with such certificate in hand and DO NOT agree with the color listed. What would he/she do - sign, don''t sign?

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend signing it but, as a practical matter, the risk to the retailer is rather low unless there is some debate about whether the subject stone is the same one that is described on the report. By signing, the retailer is financially committing to the idea that AGSL will again call it the same color if resubmitted. In practice, the retailer is already making this commitment by presenting themselves as an expert and providing the diamond grading information as part of a sales presentation wherein they are encouraging the consumer to rely on them in making a purchase decision.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thank you again Neil, my question was mostly about this: If and when a jeweler is accredited/knowledgeable/professional enough to evaluate a diamond in hand and assign color, clarity...to a diamond AND SIGN a guarantee, then who needs a Report it came with?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I agree. Customers have been trained, in no small part by Internet vendors and by forums like this one, that a dealer who sells diamonds without providing a recognized lab report, is not to be trusted. This is a point of great frustration for responsible jewelers but they too have learned, and the lab business is now one of the best segments of the jewelry industry because of it. The labs are regularly now being used as a substitute for confidence in a jeweler rather than as reinforcement of it. This is hardly limited to diamonds and Americans love their paperwork.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

TheWiz.jpg

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 7:07:50 PM

I agree. Customers have been trained, in no small part by Internet vendors and by forums like this one, that a dealer who sells diamonds without providing a recognized lab report, is not to be trusted. This is a point of great frustration for responsible jewelers but they too have learned, and the lab business is now one of the best segments of the jewelry industry because of it. The labs are regularly now being used as a substitute for confidence in a jeweler rather than as reinforcement of it. This is hardly limited to diamonds and Americans love their paperwork.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Neil... What percentage of retailers who hold themselves out to be "jewelers" and their sales staff do you think deserve to hold that distinction, by virtue of training, knowledge (and ethics)???? I think the percentge may be in the low teens from what I''ve seen on "shopping" excursions.

Even on the internet, there are a lot of "merchants" who resell without even seeing what they are selling, with virtual inventory.

I think that the consumer has been forced into outside opinions, some of which, aren''t worth the paper they are printed on, unfortunately.

One of the problems in the industry is that very few consumers seek "qualified" verification of what they are buying, and they are led down the path of no return by hype, superlatives, and puffery offered.

And when I mean no return, that''s it, as the legal system has made it very difficult and expensive to get refunds when the consumer is sold unjustified "sizzle" and not the steak they think they are purchasing.

While there are many labs, large and small worldwide, there are very very few, who are considered as offering credible opinions, whether it comes to gemological properties or valuations.

AGS appears to be on the top of the mountain. By signing the DQC, AGS titleholders hold themselves in writing to be qualified to render the consenting opinion, with implied independent verification, another set of "qualified" eyes, a good thing, forcing AGS jewelers to spot potential human mistakes before they are passed to the consumer as "fact".

One could argue that GIA paper is heading to the bottom of the heap also, for a lot of reasons, like cut grade, rounding, loosening definitions, etc.. I have known of at least one major diamond wholesaler who have told me they couldn''t (or wouldn''t) sell some GIA papered stones with the "paper" because no one would believe it. I respected them for that.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
ahhhh a little bread and circus to go with the smoke and mirrors....
how fitting......

TheWiz.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For those who interested, ethical standards of AGS can be found here: http://www.americangemsociety.org/whoisamericangemsoci.htm

By receiving the answer above from AGS, we took a liberty to ask Ms. Cecilia L. Gardner, JVC’s president, CEO and general counsel, several questions, which are published below along with her answers.

A: A certificate includes a signature taking legal responsibility for the statement contained therein.

Q: Why traditional grading report cannot be considered a certificate while same report signed by a jeweler can?

Q: Does it mean that there is a certain guarantee involved and what is guaranteed in particular in this case (accuracy of grading, representations, etc)?
A: The difference is that the signer of the certificate takes legal responsibility for the statement contained within the certificate.

Q: Can any other grading lab (big or small) issue similar type of the document for their clients (e.g. manufacturers, wholesalers, jewelers) which they can sign and turn into certificate?
A: yes.

We appreciate Ms. Gardner help with our questions very much indeed.
Now we really understand....
Does the statement mentioned include all the facts????

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2007 5:20:02 AM
Author: DiaGem

A: Because a 'traditional' grading report is not signed.

Q: Does it mean that there is a certain guarantee involved and what is guaranteed in particular in this case (accuracy of grading, representations, etc)?
A: The difference is that the signer of the certificate takes legal responsibility for the statement contained within the certificate.

Q: Can any other grading lab (big or small) issue similar type of the document for their clients (e.g. manufacturers, wholesalers, jewelers) which they can sign and turn into certificate?

Diagem... Many in the industry have taken notatble exception towards Ms Gardner, who seeks to become the guru of appraisal standards, certifying JBAR graduates as qualifed, as a joke, considered a laugh umongst professionals in the industry. At the recent GIA sympoium, Ms Gardner, as I understand it, and been laughed off the stage, or out of the discussions, with snake rattles.

I wouldn't take what she says with a large grain of salt.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/22/2007 7:52:41 AM
Author: adamasgem

Date: 5/22/2007 5:20:02 AM
Author: DiaGem

Diagem.. Many in the industry have taken notatble exception towards Ms Gradner, who seeks to become the guru of appraisal standards, certifying JBAR graduates as qualifed, as a joke, considered a laugh umongst professions in the industry. AT the recent GIA sympoium, Ms Gradner, as I understand it, and been laughed off the stage, or out of the discussions, with snake rattles.

I woldn''t take what she says with a large grain of salt.

Simple question: Why is she speaking and not answering questions on behalf of AGS/L?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Marty,

I reasonably well understand how the situation came about and I don’t disagree that it’s in response to a genuine problem and some genuine abuse. Jewelers are seen by many as being barely more credible than carnival hucksters as sources of information and there’s plenty out there who deserve this. This too is a point of great frustration for the responsible ones and there is a great deal of handwringing going on in trying to decide how they can market the difference between a jeweler that does deserve your trust and someone that is just moving boxes around. Doing it well takes more time and costs more money. Training skilled workers costs more. Most of the jewelers who pride themselves in being a professional jeweler and not just a merchant are struggling while the largest retail jeweler in America is now Walmart, who doesn’t even pretend to hire a skilled staff. Instead they rely on IGI to provide their clients with product knowledge and those who want more than that can shop somewhere else or they can buy their product education ala carte from a 3rd party like an independent appraiser. Walmart and their various clones generally have very agreeable return policies, in part for this reason and independent appraisers are also a growing segment of the industry. That's good news for us. It’s a big world and there’s room for both approaches I think but the ‘trusted advisor’ stores do need to market themselves better if they are going to hold their ground against their competitors. Perhaps this kind of thing will help.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/22/2007 8:19:13 AM
Marty,

I reasonably well understand how the situation came about and I don’t disagree that it’s in response to a genuine problem and some genuine abuse. Jewelers are seen by many as being barely more credible than carnival hucksters as sources of information and there’s plenty out there who deserve this. This too is a point of great frustration for the responsible ones and there is a great deal of handwringing going on in trying to decide how they can market the difference between a jeweler that does deserve your trust and someone that is just moving boxes around. Doing it well takes more time and costs more money. Training skilled workers costs more. Most of the jewelers who pride themselves in being a professional jeweler and not just a merchant are struggling while the largest retail jeweler in America is now Walmart, who doesn’t even pretend to hire a skilled staff. Instead they rely on IGI to provide their clients with product knowledge and those who want more than that can shop somewhere else or they can buy their product education ala carte from a 3rd party like an independent appraiser. Walmart and their various clones generally have very agreeable return policies, in part for this reason and independent appraisers are also a growing segment of the industry. It’s a big world and there’s room for both approaches I think but the ‘trusted advisor’ stores do need to market themselves better if they are going to hold their ground against their competitors. Perhaps this kind of thing will help.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Neil...

I am surprised at your view..., In this industry you have to work real hard to earn Trust!!!
You can''t buy it for $59.--!!!

On the contrary... This may just do the opposite effect..., For example: Why cant I trust this jeweler Since he (the jeweler) needs a backer (AGS) to authorize his trust???

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diagem,

I didn’t say you could buy trust for $59. The jeweler can buy a prop for $59. Their trustworthiness has to do with the internal culture at the store and especially the ethics of the store management. How they market it is an entirely different issue. They could, and many do, offer the entire substance of the DQC for free. The $59 gets them a nifty leatherette binder and a pretty report to use as a talking point. I’m not even defending that it’s a good buy for them, only that it’s not without merit and that what it stands for IS of value to many consumers.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/22/2007 9:07:31 AM
Diagem,

I didn’t say you could buy trust for $59. The jeweler can buy a prop for $59. Their trustworthiness has to do with the internal culture at the store and especially the ethics of the store management. How they market it is an entirely different issue. They could, and many do, offer the entire substance of the DQC for free. The $59 gets them a nifty leatherette binder and a pretty report to use as a talking point. I’m not even defending that it’s a good buy for them, only that it’s not without merit and that what it stands for IS of value to many consumers.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
I always said that "packaging" is important!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2007 9:07:31 AM
Diagem,

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
It only has value for an educated consumer if it means something and has teeth.
As far as I''m concerned it fails on both counts.
Its using FUD in an attempt to gain trust.
I wonder if they hired Fred to give them advise on setting it up.....

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Wizard of OZ.......

Seems to me there were Ruby Shoes in that movie as well. Guess it just matters WHO is wearing them?

RE: on the assertion of an Certiification, Warranty or other assumption of accuracy by someone relying on the report.

At the foundation of all representations there is the basis of that needs to be considered. The "warranty" , promise, indication of whatever is represented is ONLY AS GOOD AS THE PERSON MAKING IT.

Years ago GIA reports carried the initials of the individual graders who examined the stones. In issues where the gradings were challenged, attorney named GIA in their complaints, as well as personal suits against those who signed the documents. In response, GIA changed this, I believe mainly to protect their employees from having to defend these sort of actions.

But under the Uniform Commercial Code, representations made where a consideration to buy or purchase is based on representations in the sale, in most instances consumers are protected as to accuracy, resulting in either an express or implied warranty.

In these matters there is a two party alliance. It''s between the buyer and the seller. If the seller uses representations from GIA, AGS, the lab ( limited by language, terms and conditions in the report rendered by the lab) the jeweler has the available choice legally persue the lab report. Because the lab isn''t a party to the actual sale, the consumer doesn''t have this option.

Here I agree in basis with Leonid. I''m not sure that the AGS Certificate provides much more than what already is legally in place. I suppose that the extra fee is mostly for the presentation. I think AGSLAB has positioned themselves in relation to this document to place whatever perceived liability on the AGS member.

Leonid also makes an interesting question as to what action or position to take if the AGS member disagrees with the lab report results. Under AGS ethical rules, I don''t believe the jeweler has much of a choice. If he is honest, ethical and does the required due diligence in reviewing the grading results, as required by the AGS ethics standards, he CAN''T sign the document. In such instances, I suppose the only option open is the responsibility of the AGS member to contact the lab and report any dissenting opinion, and attempt to find an agreeable meeting of the minds. I have had disseting opinion relevant to major lab reports. Most recently with one from GIA, which in my opinion was 2 clarity grades higher than GIA''s conclusion.

All this being said, I suppose the ultimate taste test, would be to see what a Court would say in the event of an actual trial and appeal, currently which is just assumed. Maybe the legal prediction will be correct as stated, but maybe not.

An additional consideration of grading accuracy, is a double edged sword. If the grading is believed to be lower than the lab report, the purchaser is damaged. If the conclusion challenged represents a lower concluson of the grading, in instances where the stone should have had a "higher grade", then the seller is damaged. Seems the only considerations made so far only address the issue of the stone being of a lower grade. But sometimes it is the opposite position that needs to be considered as well.

Rockdoc

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rock, it was me Irina trying to understand the logic, i guess Leo is done with it. I have a new solitaire design not published yet and plan to deal with a manufacturer on a condition that he will sell this ring ONLY over the Net. I also will specify that use of a telephone is prohibited, well maybe cell phones...
Just for the kick of it
9.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/22/2007 1:27:58 PM
Hi Rock, it was me Irina trying to understand the logic, i guess Leo is done with it. I have a new solitaire design not published yet and plan to deal with a manufacturer on a condition that he will sell this ring ONLY over the Net. I also will specify that use of a telephone is prohibited, well maybe cell phones...
Just for the kick of it
9.gif
What about VOIP?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results