shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS Diamond Quality Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
This news has been publish in most trade sources a few days ago. I've got quite a few questions, which I forwarded to AGS before posting here.

Here is DQC sample.

Below is the official press release.

AMERICAN GEM SOCIETY
DEDICATED TO PROVEN ETHICS, KNOWLEDGE AND CONSUMER PROTECTION

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

American Gem Society™ Unveils Diamond Quality™ Certificate at 2007 Annual Conclave
Connecting the consumer directly to the jewelry retailer, the DQC guarantees performance and authenticity.

LAS VEGAS, Nevada — May 2, 2007 — Representatives from the American Gem Society™, in conjunction with representatives from the American Gem Society Laboratories, LLC introduced a new diamond grading document, the Diamond Quality™ Certificate (DQC), to attendees of the American Gem Society International Conclave 2007 in Denver, Colorado.

Available exclusively to American Gem Society retail members, the DQC is a guarantee of authenticity and performance by the jeweler. “The DQC is validated at the retail level, making it the first certificate ever to connect the jeweler to the consumer,” said Bill Underwood, CGA of Underwood’s Jewelers. “This certificate furthermore guarantees the consumer a face-to-face consultation with an American Gem Society titleholder, a professionally trained jeweler/gemologist. The consumer can then be more confident in their diamond buying decision.”

The DQC cannot be issued for diamonds sold via the Internet and must be signed by an American Gem Society titleholder in the presence of the consumer. The American Gem Society Laboratories will grade diamonds qualifying for the DQC. “By publishing this signed document, AGS’ DQC meets the legal definition of a certificate,” said Cecilia Garner, President and CEO of the Jewelers Vigilance Committee.

The American Gem Society, founded in 1934 by Robert M. Shipley, is a not-for-profit trade association dedicated to proven ethics, knowledge and consumer protection within the jewelry industry. The American Gem Society is the international professional organization for all Registered Jewelers (RJ), Certified Gemologists (CG), and Certified Gemologist Appraisers (CGA). Members are held to the highest ethical and professional standards in the industry and must pass annual recertification examinations to maintain their American Gem Society titles. Less than five percent of jewelers in the country have met the exacting requirements necessary for membership. For more information regarding the American Gem Society, please call 702.255.6500, or visit their website at www.AmericanGemSociety.org.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Certainly, it will be good to get the answers to your questions. Meanwhile, it is at least easy to speculate.

Diamonds vis-a-vis mattresses...

Cert A vs Cert B for this given Certifying Agency: AGS

and I quote:

Comparison Shopping
If you are a shopper who likes to compare values from store to store, you should be aware that comparison shopping by model name can lead to frustration. The manufacturer, who relies on retail stores to sell its products, makes minor modifications to their mattresses for each mattress retailer. The manufacturer will put a different cover on the mattress and change the name so that it will be difficult to compare from one retailer to another. This will result in very similar mattresses being sold by different retailers under different names most likely at different prices. So, find a sleep set you like, then see what level of comfort, support, and quality components you can get for the same amount of money in another store.

Make mine extra firm, please...

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my take. None of the AGS stores here have the nice ASET scope. Had to bring my own little scope last time I visited one. Owners even joke about spending big bucks on one. So, assuming it's like this in most places, this report makes a decent ASET image available that the store can talk to if someone asks. It's something that's important to the organization and therefore important to AGS credibility, even if many folks on the front lines don't see the need.

It's also a nice twist on a GCAL report feature (both photos). Maybe to a lesser extent there's an aspect of responding to the competition, or adopting someone else's good ideas.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Also from National Jeweler

The document—available only to AGS members—is designed to guarantee diamond authenticity and to cement the relationship between jewelers and their customers. AGS jewelers who use the document certify the authenticity and quality of the diamond; that the diamond has been graded by the American Gem Society Laboratories; that they have the knowledge to validate the information within the certificate; their commitment to build a lasting relationship with the customer; and that they''re dedicated to setting, maintaining and promoting the highest standards of ethical conduct and professional behavior in the jewelry industry and community. AGS titleholders must sign off on the certificate in the presence of customers.

.... document will help AGS jewelers to further differentiate themselves from competition.

... The document is available to members for $59.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The DQC is supplemental documentation for AGS retailers who wish to use it. It says that the retailer stands behind the grading of the stone. By signing this document, the retailer is making a commitment to their customer that the stone is exactly as described. AGS retailers are held to high standard of ethics in order to maintain their membership and this certificate is evidence that that the selling jeweler is continuing their commitment to those standards. It’s worth noting that all AGS retailers are required to uphold the AGS code of ethics with everything the sell be it diamonds, watches, giftware or anything else, whether or not this report accompanies the sale. A diamond is worth more when backed by the right jeweler and this document is a way for them to toot their own horn as members of the premier retail jewelers organization in the world. The store is adding value to the deal and this is a way of documenting at least a part of that added value.

The ASET photo is taken in the lab by a special camera setup that was built for this purpose. They don’t use any of the equipment they sell in taking this picture. They do now have a 'photographic' version of the tool that they make available for their retailers and anyone else who wants to spring for one and that takes a pretty good image using a built in camera. It garnered a lot of interest at conclave and I think consumers will start to see ASET type equipment more and more at the aggressive retailers as it gets better known.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2007 8:44:04 AM
Author: denverappraiser
The DQC is supplemental documentation for AGS retailers who wish to use it. It says that the retailer stands behind the grading of the stone. By signing this document, the retailer is making a commitment to their customer that the stone is exactly as described. AGS retailers are held to high standard of ethics in order to maintain their membership and this certificate is evidence that that the selling jeweler is continuing their commitment to those standards. It’s worth noting that all AGS retailers are required to uphold the AGS code of ethics with everything the sell be it diamonds, watches, giftware or anything else, whether or not this report accompanies the sale. A diamond is worth more when backed by the right jeweler and this document is a way for them to toot their own horn as members of the premier retail jewelers organization in the world. The store is adding value to the deal and this is a way of documenting at least a part of that added value.

The ASET photo is taken in the lab by a special camera setup that was built for this purpose. They don’t use any of the equipment they sell in taking this picture. They do now have a ''photographic'' version of the tool that they make available for their retailers and anyone else who wants to spring for one and that takes a pretty good image using a built in camera. It garnered a lot of interest at conclave and I think consumers will start to see ASET type equipment more and more at the aggressive retailers as it gets better known.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Oh, a guarantee???
So now its not an opinion anymore? (Like GIA?)
So why only from AGS 3cut, AGS 3 Color AND AGS 6 Clarity?? The rest is.....?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2007 9:19:25 AM
Author: DiaGem

The ASET photo is taken in the lab by a special camera setup that was built for this purpose. They don’t use any of the equipment they sell in taking this picture. They do now have a ''photographic'' version of the tool that they make available for their retailers and anyone else who wants to spring for one and that takes a pretty good image using a built in camera. It garnered a lot of interest at conclave and I think consumers will start to see ASET type equipment more and more at the aggressive retailers as it gets better known.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Oh, a guarantee???

So now its not an opinion anymore? (Like GIA?)

So why only from AGS 3cut, AGS 3 Color AND AGS 6 Clarity?? The rest is.....?

Yes, it’s a guarantee.

Like all guarantees, it’s important to look at the details. What is being guaranteed is that AGSL calls the stone XYZ. If the stone is resubmitted to AGSL and found to be different from that (and it’s unaltered and undamaged of course), the original customer would be entitled to reparations, presumably a full or partial refund of their purchase. The guarantor is the retailer, not AGS and not AGSL. The stated guarantee is only available to the original retail purchaser and is non-transferable.

AGSL is providing an opinion.
The retailer is providing a guarantee.

This is the same as it has always been. Any retailer can, and many do, make a similar offer.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So why only a limited Cut, Color and Clarity?
Why not any Diamond AGS/L grades?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Don’t confuse AGS with AGSL.

AGS is a private, membership only organization consisting primarily of retail jewelry stores. AGS is the majority stockholder in AGSL. AGS offers this as a member benefit for AGS retail member firms. In that since it’s rather like the consumer financing program offered through Wells Fargo, merchant credit card processing, employee training etc. Some stores use it, some don’t and some will use a competitive provider that they feel more suites their specific needs. They also offer assistance with advertising materials and many other benefits that some stores take great advantage of while others completely ignore the offer. This sort of thing is part of the reason to become an AGS member.

AGS hired AGSL to design the document and implement the techniques, like the ASET photograph, that are required to prepare it. The retailer pays AGSL for the services associated with each individual report. The retailer could just as easily have hired a graphics design firm of their own and developed or subcontracted their own photography system. As was pointed out above, GCAL is in this business. The guarantee would be the same. It’s the retailer, not AGS and not AGSL that’s underwriting it.

Technically, AGSL could generate the report on any old mudball that the client wanted but the board of AGS decided that it would be bad for their image to allow this to happen. It’s their report so they can put any restrictions on it they want. They determined for marketing reasons that they would limit available to only AGS retailer firms, specifically excluding independent appraisers and titleholders with supplier firms, as well as limiting it to stones initially graded by AGSL and to stones that meet certain minimum standards. Again, it’s their report and they can offer it to whoever they wish.

If a retailer, including an AGS member firm, wants to offer a guarantee on other stones, for example stones graded by GIA, their own in-house lab, they want to make a guarantee on AGS stones outside of the parameters available with this program or they just object to the $59 fee, they are welcome to do so. AGS members who do this would be held to the same ethics rules involving accuracy of grading and product representation as they are by issuing this one. All merchants, including non-member’s doing this would be bound by the relevant local, state and federal rules about misrepresentation and by the terms and conditions of the guarantee itself. Naturally, they would be forbidden to use the AGS masthead or to represent that the stone was graded by AGSL unless this is the case.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2007 1:02:01 PM
Are ASG and AGSL related in a business/Law sense?

Yes, they''re related. AGSL is a corporation. The American Gem Society (AGS) is the majority stockholder. Most of the other stockholders are AGS members.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hereby guarantee that my best buddy Joe says this shirt is blue, if you ask Joe what color it is and he says green I will give you your money back.
What a joke.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2007 1:52:54 PM
Author: strmrdr
I hereby guarantee that my best buddy Joe says this shirt is blue, if you ask Joe what color it is and he says green I will give you your money back.
What a joke.
Good morning strm..., welcome aboard...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Storm,

AGSL does not offer preferential grading to AGS stores, to their stockholding members, to their regular clients or to anyone else. They grade stones as they seem and there is definitely NOT a component in the grading results of who are friends with whom.

I agree that it’s debatable how valuable this new product will be for the retailers and I don’t expect it to be especially popular but there’s nothing wrong with it either. Dealers who stand behind their merchandise and who are willing to put their signature on a report specifically stating the grades is a good thing. The consuming public would be better served if every jeweler would do this instead of pretending that they are somehow out of the loop of responsibility since they are selling are ‘certified’ stones.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2007 3:41:05 PM
Storm,

AGSL does not offer preferential grading to AGS stores, to their stockholding members, to their regular clients or to anyone else. They grade stones as they seem and there is definitely NOT a component in the grading results of who are friends with whom.
Agreed..., and no one said else...
I agree that it’s debatable how valuable this new product will be for the retailers and I don’t expect it to be especially popular but there’s nothing wrong with it either. Dealers who stand behind their merchandise and who are willing to put their signature on a report specifically stating the grades is a good thing. The consuming public would be better served if every jeweler would do this instead of pretending that they are somehow out of the loop of responsibility since they are selling are ‘certified’ stones.

I agree..., but it is worth a thought...

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Storm,

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
I didn''t say they gave preferential treatment, I just said this product is a joke.
Its a circular web of trust that has no value.
In store appraisals is a similar product that lacks a branching web of trust.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Storm,

Thats a little harsh I would say....

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
I guess coming out with all that paper work is trendy these days...
I know the WFDB (World Federation of Diamond Bourses) is adopting a similar technique using a logo that the Diamonds marketed by their selected members are backed by the organization (ethicaly). But they are not issuing "grades" ...
Big difference!!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Quoted from the official press release:

"AMERICAN GEM SOCIETY
DEDICATED TO PROVEN ETHICS, KNOWLEDGE AND CONSUMER PROTECTION"

"The DQC cannot be issued for diamonds sold via the Internet and must be signed by an American Gem Society titleholder in the presence of the consumer...."

My question would be: are consumers that purchase via Internet second class consumers??
Why would AGS differentiate between consumer types?

Just wondering...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Storm,

I thought your post was suggesting collusion between AGS & AGSL for being friends. In rereading it I think you were clearly not doing this. I apologize.

The primary reason people choose to buy from AGS and other branded retailers is because they would like to have an advisor that they can trust to assist them with the diamond and jewelry shopping process. This is extremely useful, especially for customers who aren’t interested in tackling the learning curve that this site represents and, in general, the AGS stores provide good council. This new report documents exactly who is being trusted in the deal -- the retailer. I agree that a well written receipt and warranty statement will serve exactly the same purpose. I think this sort of assurance is valuable and I think every retailer both online and on the street should be doing it. It wouldn’t be difficult although the nifty embossed leatherette case is a little hard to come by and $59 is actually a reasonable price. Who says it’s a particular grade? The retailer making the sale does. That’s who’s taking your money. It makes no difference whether they are online or on the street or whether they are members of AGS, JA, or the BBB. The lab report as a selling tool is intended to support or refute the trust placed in the seller, not as a substitute for it. It’s the dealer who is saying that it’s the correct stone, that the lab report is genuine and unaltered, that the opinions given on the report are correct and that the stone is undamaged at the time of sale, etc. Upwards of 90% of shoppers will buy a diamond from a local store or favorite website and will then get on with their lives without ever knowing or caring how grading works and without considering what is and is not to be learned from a lab report. They are placing their trust with the retailer and the onus is on the retailers to demonstrate that they deserve it. This trust is misplaced if the dealer want to pass the buck to the lab and the lab then points to the fine print denying responsibility. This disconnect leads to frequent problems, especially online where people tend to view ‘the Internet’ as a single entity and where pretty much every stone is ‘certified’. I suppose I shouldn’t complain, it provides me with a steady stream of clients but the process isn’t doing the consuming public any favors. Who’s responsible? The dealers. That’s who’s getting your money and that’s who generally chooses the remainder of the supply chain, including the lab and even the appraiser if they can.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2007 5:41:51 PM

Quoted from the official press release:

''AMERICAN GEM SOCIETY

DEDICATED TO PROVEN ETHICS, KNOWLEDGE AND CONSUMER PROTECTION''

''The DQC cannot be issued for diamonds sold via the Internet and must be signed by an American Gem Society titleholder in the presence of the consumer....''

My question would be: are consumers that purchase via Internet second class consumers??

Why would AGS differentiate between consumer types?

Just wondering...

Apparently so.

AGS retailers who do business with their clients via the Internet are apparently second-class as well. Something tells me that this policy isn’t going to last long. Retailers with sense have websites and some are very successful at it. Evidence would suggest that selling online is a sound strategy and at every conclave AGS members are hammered with this observation and with statistics to support it. Relegating the smart and aggressive ones to the back of the proverbial bus is damaging to AGS’s reputation and undermining their ability to recruit the best stores to join and to remain with them.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Years ago, the years before there was an AGSL, there was a diamond grading system which was proprietary to AGS and only for their membership. It was a distinct member benefit, but the members failed to make the most of it or benefit from it in the best way. The AGS created the AGS Lab and also took the proprietary grading system to the general trade and made it a commercially viable system with good marketing and some advertising. Once again, many or most of the AGS Retail members failed to capitalize on the AGS Lab or the new diamond grading system, but this time outsiders found out that they could use it to advantage and made it just that much more difficult for AGS Retailers to benefit from their expensive AGS membership. We were AGS wholesale members for over 20 years, so I know what "expensive" means from personal experience. My firm left AGS membership since as wholesalers and appraisers we were not allowed to use our Certified Gemologist titles on appraisal reports, but the AGS Lab was going to take this business from us and AGS would not allow us to compete. It made no sense then and still makes no sense today. At least they picked a great guy, Peter Yantzer, to head up the operation and he makes me feel good about the attitude of his lab every time we meet. Nothing is all bad. Its not a black and white situation.

AGS has made a move to give a member benefit to AGS Retailers. Its a good move and probably many years past due. The original AGS diamond grading system belonged to these members and it was taken from them ,although it has now gained recognition and respect. It is time to give these folks who support AGS something to use to help them compete. Its a sad joke at this point that it won''t be allowed for Internet dealing. That is a going to difficult to enforce and members ought to be able to use such a document in any way they wish. It will do no harm.

GCAL provides a guarantee on grading and so does my lab. Its the same kind of promise which says, "If you show me the same diamond, I promise to grade it the same a second time unless it is a different diamond, then all bets are off."
19.gif
29.gif
Any lab can offer this, but few do. With technology and computerization, we can re-identify most stones when they are re-submitted. Any diamond which comes back for a re-check is readily identified. What''s the big deal? I would ask why GIA doesn''t offer such a simple guarantee of repeability rather than denigrate labs which do offer this simple promise. I know GIA can do it if they wanted to and it may have some meaning to consumers. For the trade, it is a guarantee with what I see as little to no risk.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2007 6:44:20 PM
Author: elmo
Well this does sound like a twist on the GCAL certificate (yes they call it a certificate): GCAL 'guaranteed grading'.

Yes, they are variations on the same theme. It’s a little hard for me to decide which is a more valuable service for shoppers and who really benefits from either one. The GCAL offer expires 2 years from the date of inspection and suffers from the same circular chain of responsibility that Storm points out but at least the grading is backed by the lab that did the grading and not just the retailer. In the end, I agree with Dave, both are a pretty hollow promises.

AGS supplier/appraiser isn’t a combination that I would expect to work well with them. I’m not surprised that it wasn’t worth your dues. Suppliers are generally members because they want an avenue to sell to the AGS retailers and the retailers would like to keep them from becoming competitors. Appraisers are a touchy topic because so many retailers write appraisals and because they want to use appraisals as a selling or buying tool. Independent Appraisers are the red headed stepchildren of the AGS. The retailers can and do compete with the appraisers but the appraisers are forbidden to compete with the retailers.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My argument is that "Appraising" is neither a Wholesale functon nor a Retail function. It is somewhat the same as Teaching or the practice of Medicine where there is no wholesale or retail. AGS wrote me a letter with their viewpoint that appraising was a retail function. Rather than make enemies of many AGS retail members who were our wholesale cutomers, I felt compelled to simply resign and not fight. It would have created a hostile environment for my larger wholesale business that was going along well with many AGS retailers at the time. I could be an ICGA today under the circumstances we have now, but a close AGS affiliation would not be something I have interest in any longer. To me, its a one way street with protectionism of retail members foremost in mind.

I think the guarantee of grading accuracy and repeatability ought to be made by any lab that claims to do a good job, not be just two or three labs. I know it is sort of a hollow promise, but it is much better than putting somewhere in tiny print on a report that you are not responsible for the accuracy of the document and that actions taken based on the correctness of the report are not the responsibility of the lab. That is the important element we should concentrate on instead. Labs that guarantee something are helping to create pressure that will change the responsibility of the larger labs to do a better, more consistent job. Instead of criticizing the guarantee is a hollow one, why not compare it to the lack of any guranteee, which is far more common. Every good lab ought to make this minimal pledge of responsibility and repeatble accuracy.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2007 6:43:03 PM
Author: oldminer
Years ago, the years before there was an AGSL, there was a diamond grading system which was proprietary to AGS and only for their membership. It was a distinct member benefit, but the members failed to make the most of it or benefit from it in the best way. The AGS created the AGS Lab and also took the proprietary grading system to the general trade and made it a commercially viable system with good marketing and some advertising. Once again, many or most of the AGS Retail members failed to capitalize on the AGS Lab or the new diamond grading system, but this time outsiders found out that they could use it to advantage and made it just that much more difficult for AGS Retailers to benefit from their expensive AGS membership. We were AGS wholesale members for over 20 years, so I know what ''expensive'' means from personal experience. My firm left AGS membership since as wholesalers and appraisers we were not allowed to use our Certified Gemologist titles on appraisal reports, but the AGS Lab was going to take this business from us and AGS would not allow us to compete. It made no sense then and still makes no sense today. At least they picked a great guy, Peter Yantzer, to head up the operation and he makes me feel good about the attitude of his lab every time we meet. Nothing is all bad. Its not a black and white situation.
It seems pretty black and white to me...

AGS has made a move to give a member benefit to AGS Retailers. Its a good move and probably many years past due. The original AGS diamond grading system belonged to these members and it was taken from them ,although it has now gained recognition and respect. It is time to give these folks who support AGS something to use to help them compete. Its a sad joke at this point that it won''t be allowed for Internet dealing. That is a going to difficult to enforce and members ought to be able to use such a document in any way they wish. It will do no harm.

"AMERICAN GEM SOCIETY
DEDICATED TO PROVEN ETHICS, KNOWLEDGE AND CONSUMER PROTECTION " Only protecting Class A Consumers!!!!

GCAL provides a guarantee on grading and so does my lab. Its the same kind of promise which says, ''If you show me the same diamond, I promise to grade it the same a second time unless it is a different diamond, then all bets are off.''
19.gif
29.gif
Any lab can offer this, but few do. With technology and computerization, we can re-identify most stones when they are re-submitted. Any diamond which comes back for a re-check is readily identified. What''s the big deal? I would ask why GIA doesn''t offer such a simple guarantee of repeability rather than denigrate labs which do offer this simple promise. I know GIA can do it if they wanted to and it may have some meaning to consumers. For the trade, it is a guarantee with what I see as little to no risk.

What if GCAL or you make a mistake in grading a Diamond..., according to your promise..., the mistake cant be corrected.
The good thing with the GIA is the fact that they dont...
A lot of times they will issue a Diamond a grade that is disputable even after a recheck/observation...
But that same exact Diamond can be resubmited (for a new report) and can be graded correctly by a different grading team!!!

David, please dont forget that grade reports issued on Diamonds (no matter where!!!) are an OPINION only!!!
And in my opinion cant be guaranteed..., (ethically.)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
The DQC is supplemental documentation for AGS retailers...
Sorry, maybe this is obvious by now, or not, but...

So, the DQC comes primarily in addition to the DQD, and not as a replacement for it?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/6/2007 6:21:42 AM
Author: oldminer
My argument is that 'Appraising' is neither a Wholesale functon nor a Retail function. It is somewhat the same as Teaching or the practice of Medicine where there is no wholesale or retail.

Appraising, teaching and medicine all have both retail and wholesale business models. My wife spent many years working for a medical service provider that involved traveling throughout the state offering unusual services for patients at rural hospitals. They would set up their equipment and provide a technician who would perform the tests and bill the hospital at the end of a days work. The hospital would then and bill the patient or their insurer at a different rate for the service. This is as wholesale as it gets. I have taught classes at a local museum with a very similar arrangement. They provided the classroom, the accounting and some of the promotion, I provided the classroom experience and the necessary supplies. We split the money. Appraisers who offer services to dealers who then resell these services to the public are wholesaling. Appraisers who are selling services directly with the public are retailing. It is possible and in fact common for an individual appraiser to do both under different circumstances. AGS’s definition of an ICGA firm is a retail operation selling services directly to the public although most of them also offer at least a limited set of wholesale services as well.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/6/2007 7:30:52 AM
Author: Regular Guy

The DQC is supplemental documentation for AGS retailers...

Sorry, maybe this is obvious by now, or not, but...

So, the DQC comes primarily in addition to the DQD, and not as a replacement for it?

Correct. A DQC is only available for stones that already have a DQD. This is a supplement, not a replacement.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"David, please dont forget that grade reports issued on Diamonds (no matter where!!!) are an OPINION only!!!
And in my opinion cant be guaranteed..., (ethically.)"

One can ethically guarantee their opinion. They can guarantee their opinion will be the same today as it will be next week or next year when it comes to diamond grading provided they can re-identify the diamond as one they gave an opinion on previously. Since every guarantee has a degree of tolerance for the subjectivity inherent in an opinion, there is no dilemma created. It certainly is NOT an issue of ethics. Maybe you define ethics in some other way, but this is my field of special interest, so there is some misunderstanding of the term, I''m afraid.

The fact that a customer may dispute a grade from a lab is not affected in any way. A lab can change their opinion in those situations if they they review the grade and then agree they wish to change it. Few dealers ever request a lower grade, but many request only higher grades. This is an ethics issue of importance. The knowing attempt to get high grades for profit, not because there is a justification otherwise. Its a game where all the players are professionals who know all the rules and all the tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results