shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice please - custom ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Lots of people here are so knowledgeable about designing and customizing rings, etc., especially with colored stones. I attached a picture of the ring that I might talk to a jeweler about recreating. It is pink tourmaline, white gold, and has diamonds. The person from eBay that had it up for auction and will make it if I contact him about it, will charge about $3,200 and he is from the UK. I thought, of course, depending on the quality of both the tourmaline and diamonds, I would be able to find someone who could possibly make this much more inexpensively. I saw the "How to: A full custom ring process" thread in Rocky Talky, but I want advice for this particular ring.

My questions are:

1. How do I even go about attempting to get the ring made - I have never in my life done this and it scares me to be quite honest? Do I contact a jeweler and say - can you make this for me? If so, then who (question #2)
2. Who do you think, out of the jewelers you all have worked with, could make this ring or make it more beautiful than this ring?
3. Would I have to acquire the tourmaline and diamonds from somewhere first then send the stone(s) to him/her?
4. I will be wearing this ring everyday, so do you think that the pink tourmaline is too soft?
5. I don''t want to re-plate the white gold, so should I go for palladium or platinum? I do not like high maintenance jewelry.

Help! Please help me with the process. Thank you so much. I hope this is the right forum to post in for this request.

Thanks! (I posted this in colored stones but thought there might be more viewers who could help me here?)

Elegant

img5edit.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think you'll be able to create that ring for less than $3200. Many folks on here tried to find a similar design baguette halo "back in the day" and prices were HIGH because it is hard to cut those baguettes into the proper shape. Lots of waste, if I recall correctly. Leon Mege's done a similar halo around a sapphire & Daniel K did it around a diamond but it seemed that a lot of designers just said "no" period. And I'd worry about the ones who'd say yes & charge less than the above price -- stuff like that can go terribly wrong - rippled metal, uneven channels, dead stones (bags are tricky to choose - TONS of bad ones out there).

Sure others will weigh in .... many will remember this saga.

ETA: Isuku's tried it ... I tried it ... Mara & Gypsy saw a similar one in a store ... I know others have pondered this design over the years & no one ever ended up with it. WAIT .. Diamondsmitten did. Maybe you could search for her threads. Some local jeweler did hers around a diamond I think.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
1. How do I even go about attempting to get the ring made - I have never in my life done this and it scares me to be quite honest? Do I contact a jeweler and say - can you make this for me?
-Yup. I think that''s about it! You would probably send your ''inspiration'' pic out to see if you can get an estimate.

If so, then who (question #2)
2. Who do you think, out of the jewelers you all have worked with, could make this ring or make it more beautiful than this ring?
-I''ve seen really great reviews for Brian Gavin diamonds lately. I think it also depends on the metals you are using.

3. Would I have to acquire the tourmaline and diamonds from somewhere first then send the stone(s) to him/her?
-Depends on the designer/jeweler. I think most could and should probably source the diamonds for you. The tourmaline you might want to find yourself through. Try posting the color you''re looking for over in Colored Stones.

4. I will be wearing this ring everyday, so do you think that the pink tourmaline is too soft?
-I don''t think so, especially if its in that setting and bezeled in. It might also depend on how ''rough'' you are with your jewelery.

5. I don''t want to re-plate the white gold, so should I go for palladium or platinum? I do not like high maintenance jewelry.
-I think plat. might put you over budget. I just read a thread about 19k white gold with a similar sheen or coloring to platinum that is very hard as well, so that''s worth checking out.

Are baguettes essential to your ring? (I just read Deco''s post)

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much you guys. I didn''t know that similar problems had existed and that there is a lot of waste associated with baguettes. Are baguettes essential to the ring? Yes, probably. I haven''t read Deco''s post but I will search for it. Thank you for posting the link and thank you for responding to my questions. I really appreciate it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi again,
Wanted to clarify so you don't go hunting too much -- I never had a thread about *my* attempts at this design. It was back when I was a lurker actually! I had some email correspondence about it with some vendors way back in 2005. I think it may have been Jonathan at GOG who explained the difficulties of the setting design? People were guessing 4-5K just for the setting alone. Leon had made a ring like it and some earrings I think that were attracting some attention. Its very difficult work.

Isuku has some threads about her search I think ... "baguette halo" might turn up some results. Good luck!

ETA:

Here's one of Isaku5's threads

Here's one where the former Pricscope admin describes the \"sagas\" regarding this style

Here's one where Diamond Smitten shares the info on where she got her version

Here's a quest to pair the setting with a pink sapphire.

This brave gal thought baguettes around a PEAR sounded good to her!

Gypsy's Quest Quest? And where coined the term \"Viva Las Vegas\" about the style ..

Here's where Leon Mege quoted Gypsy 5-6K for the setting ALONE!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As you can see... I considered the design for years. 3200 is actually a good price. Especially from a vendor who has done it before and can execute it they way you like it. I WAS REALLY worried about execution (you can see some examples of poorly executed ones in the last thread deco showed you).

I got qoutes from 2900-5500 for that design.

I DO highly recommend platinum for that design as it is not a brittle as gold or palladium which, if you bang it or anything you are going to be grateful for.

Platinum won't need dipping but it will need polishing.

The reason the cost of the setting is so high is because the baguettes have to be custom cut and completely symmetrical for it. There is a LOT of waste and a LOT of extremely detailed work that has to be done to get it right. You need a perfectionist.

I think a tourmaline is great... BUT not for everyday wear. For everyday where I'd try to find a sapphire, personally.

Good luck it's a lovely design that will look best with a colored stone center.

I would get qoutes, to check to see what prices are now. It seems (from other posts) that Leon has lowered his prices somewhat. So I would get a qoute from him. And Maytal Hannah and BGD. Those would be my choices, if I were getting qoutes for that setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy%20Ring%20Perfect.jpg

This is the final design I had settled on, thanks to a lot of people helping me with their photoshop skills. And this is the one I sent out to qoute.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/26/2009 9:11:15 PM
Author: szh07
1.-Yup. I think that''s about it! You would probably send your ''inspiration'' pic out to see if you can get an estimate.
Thanks!
2.-I''ve seen really great reviews for Brian Gavin diamonds lately. I think it also depends on the metals you are using.
He seems very talented, I agree.
3. -Depends on the designer/jeweler. I think most could and should probably source the diamonds for you. The tourmaline you might want to find yourself through. Try posting the color you''re looking for over in Colored Stones.
Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, if I work with the UK seller, he seems to have the stones himself, but I do not know much about tourmaline. The original ring that I like that was for auction was a much lighter color tourmaline and I liked the lighter color much better. I totally understand about the diamonds though.
4. -I don''t think so, especially if its in that setting and bezeled in. It might also depend on how ''rough'' you are with your jewelery.
I''m not too rough but I use my hands a lot and I am a bit clumbsy!
40.gif

5.-I think plat. might put you over budget. I just read a thread about 19k white gold with a similar sheen or coloring to platinum that is very hard as well, so that''s worth checking out.
Yeah, I think platinum will put me over the edge. 19k white gold, huh? Interesting. I''ll look into that.
Thanks so much!

Date: 7/26/2009 11:11:21 PM
Author: decodelighted
Hi again,
Wanted to clarify so you don''t go hunting too much -- I never had a thread about *my* attempts at this design. It was back when I was a lurker actually! I had some email correspondence about it with some vendors way back in 2005. I think it may have been Jonathan at GOG who explained the difficulties of the setting design? People were guessing 4-5K just for the setting alone. Leon had made a ring like it and some earrings I think that were attracting some attention. Its very difficult work. Isuku has some threads about her search I think ... ''baguette halo'' might turn up some results. Good luck!
ETA:
Here''s one of Isaku5''s threads
Here''s one where the former Pricscope admin describes the ''sagas'' regarding this style
Here''s one where Diamond Smitten shares the info on where she got her version
Here''s a quest to pair the setting with a pink sapphire.
This brave gal thought baguettes around a PEAR sounded good to her!
Gypsy''s Quest Quest? And where coined the term ''Viva Las Vegas'' about the style ..
Here''s where Leon Mege quoted Gypsy 5-6K for the setting ALONE!
Hi decodelighted,
Yeah, after I wrote that reply I thought about it and thought you hadn''t either...thanks! I was confused...for a little bit. Thank you so much for finding these - I studied up and read them all page after page and I think I am now well-versed in this baguette halo subject matter. Thanks for putting so much time and effort into helping a lost soul out!
1.gif
Funny though, the UK eBay guy never once mentioned how difficult it is. In the picture, it almost looks like the corners of the baguette halo are angled linear slices of diamond and not so much a whole piece, do you know what I mean? Wonder if it is just my imagination? 5-6K for a setting is WAY over my budget. Thank you again!

Date: 7/27/2009 2:27:19 PM
Author: Gypsy
As you can see... I considered the design for years. 3200 is actually a good price. Especially from a vendor who has done it before and can execute it they way you like it. I WAS REALLY worried about execution (you can see some examples of poorly executed ones in the last thread deco showed you).
I got quotes from 2900-5500 for that design.
I DO highly recommend platinum for that design as it is not a brittle as gold or palladium which, if you bang it or anything you are going to be grateful for.
Platinum won''t need dipping but it will need polishing.
The reason the cost of the setting is so high is because the baguettes have to be custom cut and completely symmetrical for it. There is a LOT of waste and a LOT of extremely detailed work that has to be done to get it right. You need a perfectionist.
I think a tourmaline is great... BUT not for everyday wear. For everyday where I''d try to find a sapphire, personally.
Good luck it''s a lovely design that will look best with a colored stone center.
I would get quotes, to check to see what prices are now. It seems (from other posts) that Leon has lowered his prices somewhat. So I would get a qoute from him. And Maytal Hannah and BGD. Those would be my choices, if I were getting qoutes for that setting.
Hi Gypsy,
Yeah, I looked through that thread and saw the examples. The UK vendor works with 18kt white gold and I wonder if he is comfortable working with platinum, and just how much more expensive it would be...I love tourmaline but I guess I should find an alternative as I plan to never take this ring off my had...well...wear it on a daily basis. Thank you so much for helping out and thanks for the recommended vendors!

Date: 7/27/2009 2:41:17 PM
Author: Gypsy
Gypsy%20Ring%20Perfect.jpg

This is the final design I had settled on, thanks to a lot of people helping me with their photoshop skills. And this is the one I sent out to qoute.

That is absolutely gorgeous...WAY over my budget...just beautiful. Thank you!

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a full frontal of the ring - what''s up with the tourmaline? Even in a regular, uncompressed pic it still looks weird in the center. Any ideas what that is? Do you think his workmanship is good?

img1edit.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It might be the picture but head on I'm not sure the baguettes line up. The two parallel sides should be identical, and it doesn't look from the pic, that they are. But it's hard to tell, cause they could be and th pic could be off.

And for me, personally, there's a little too much metal. But I like as little metal as possible, so if you like the look of the metal, that's just a personal taste thing. As for the tourmaline... not my area of expertise, might want to post on the CS board.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don''t jump on me but that last picture looks photoshopped.
39.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does, doesn''t it.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 4:23:47 PM
Author: Chrono
Please don't jump on me but that last picture looks photoshopped.
39.gif
Oh goodness! Too good to be true?
32.gif
I just looked at it again and it does...but why? The other pics show a pink tourmaline, right? What would they be hiding? A large window? It looks really weird...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results