shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on I Color Diamond Purchase for Engagement Ring

j034c409

Rough_Rock
I'm in the process of purchasing an engagement ring, and have designed a custom setting that has a delicate micro-pave band with a solitaire setting. The whole setting is platinum.

I'm trying to get a good sized center diamond that gives me the most bang for my buck and is eye clean. The following diamond was recommended to me, and I'm wondering if I could get some advice on whether this is a good deal at around $8.8k.

It's a 1.50 ct, RBC, I color, VS2, Ex, Ex, Ex with Medium Blue Fluorescence.

Here are links to the GIA report and a video:

http://quick.as/1dmdhbeqk

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=6221997826

My main concern is the I coloration and whether that will appear yellowish in the platinum setting, but similar H priced diamonds are a lot steeper (like almost $2k). Any advice?

Thanks so much for your help. I've read a lot online, but am still pretty new to this.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The I color will not be a problem in a stone that size (or much larger than that)...

The problem is the cut is BAD. It scored terribly on the HCA at 5.6 -- you need to shoot for <2.

bb5596b8a65191ffbf04e5a277f5bd1b.png
15ae8602174d20f55181fdc9a04dcc7e.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you open to buying online, OP?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the diamond??

j034c409

Rough_Rock
It's got an Excellent GIA Cut rating. Is the cut just bad within that range (meaning still very good overall), or is it actually bad and I'm being misrepresented?

j034c409

Rough_Rock
I'm hoping to keep it around $8-9k, maybe a little higher.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
j034c409|1468862228|4056744 said:
It's got an Excellent GIA Cut rating. Is the cut just bad within that range (meaning still very good overall), or is it actually bad and I'm being misrepresented?
Look at the graph msop provided you. See where "X" is situated, near the dotted border in the blue zone.
The inside of the dotted border represents GIA X Cut proportions. Sadly, this stone BARELY qualifies for GIA X.
Now, look at the stone. Face up, the arrows look washed away and undefined. This tells you that the diamond does not have clear contrast/brightness pattern. This is expected of 35 crown/41.4 pav combo. To complement 35 crown, you want a pav angle between 40.5~40.9, preferably 40.6~40.8

Now, look at this.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.31-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1814297 (I know it's a J. Just giving you an example of a well cut diamond)
Nice arrows=>nice contrast

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My recommendation is to cancel the entire order and start all over again. If that's not possible, put the order on hold and wait until you do full research and find a good diamond. The second stone is not very impressive either (large table, low crown angle). This stone is likely to suffer in fire/sparkle/dispersion. I will explain later in detail. Other members may help you meanwhile.

j034c409

Rough_Rock
We're flying to Europe together in about 3 weeks, where I'm planning on proposing. I think I'm out of time. I have no idea what to do at this point!

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
I would also counsel you to consider a diamond just under 1.5 carats. There is a huge price jump when you hit that magical mark, and you can put that money towards better color if it's a concern for you. The size difference between a 1.5 and a 1.45 really will not be noticeable.

EDIT: or consider a branded cut that will take all of the guesswork out of this exercise. The below should be eye-clean and gets you just under 1.5 carats. And the cut should be about as good as it gets. It's a little pricier than the stone you originally linked, but I think it would be worth it.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3601957.htm

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
j034c409|1468873763|4056807 said:
We're flying to Europe together in about 3 weeks, where I'm planning on proposing. I think I'm out of time. I have no idea what to do at this point!

Call ID Jewelry and ask for Yekutiel - he helped me get a ring together for one of my best friend's in a day. He has access to many virtual stones that are listed on different sites if they're located in NY. He also has the imaging technology in house and knows what Pricescopers are looking for! Cherry on top is that his prices are awesome!

j034c409

Rough_Rock
I was having a custom ring made and have already ordered and paid. Am I totally screwed at this point? I would want the setting to be the same, just a different diamond.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
j034c409|1468876352|4056817 said:
I was having a custom ring made and have already ordered and paid. Am I totally screwed at this point? I would want the setting to be the same, just a different diamond.

If you must pick from their inventory and it must be over 1.5, this one has very good numbers:
https://www.rarepink.com/index.php?route=product/loose_diamond_product_detail&diamond_id=70268900

We would still want an ASET/IS image since the CA is 35.5, but it does compliment the shallower PA of 40.6. Regardless, it'll be better than both stones you posted above.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
j034c409 said:

GIA XXX is a very broad range. There are some amazingly well cut stones and then there are some not great cuts that fall under XXX.

AGS lab is the only one that grades for light performance. The best of the best stones are graded "Ideal."

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flyingpig said:
Look at the graph msop provided you. See where "X" is situated, near the dotted border in the blue zone.
The inside of the dotted border represents GIA X Cut proportions. Sadly, this stone BARELY qualifies for GIA X.
Now, look at the stone. Face up, the arrows look washed away and undefined. This tells you that the diamond does not have clear contrast/brightness pattern. This is expected of 35 crown/41.4 pav combo. To complement 35 crown, you want a pav angle between 40.5~40.9, preferably 40.6~40.8

Now, look at this.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.31-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1814297 (I know it's a J. Just giving you an example of a well cut diamond)
Nice arrows=>nice contrast

Great example, fp!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
j034c409 said:

Are you obligated to take this custom ring sight unseen, or is your payment contingent on your final "okay"?

j034c409

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. It's been a panicky kind of day full of buyer's remorse. I will see if I can get that switched out. If they are designing a custom setting, should it be a big problem to get the center stone (that is almost identical in size) switched out this late in the game?

Also, I found this one in their inventory that seems to grade well. Any thoughts how it stacks up:

https://www.rarepink.com/index.php?route=product/loose_diamond_product_detail&diamond_id=71257419

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
j034c409 said:
Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. It's been a panicky kind of day full of buyer's remorse. I will see if I can get that switched out. If they are designing a custom setting, should it be a big problem to get the center stone (that is almost identical in size) switched out this late in the game?

Also, I found this one in their inventory that seems to grade well. Any thoughts how it stacks up:

https://www.rarepink.com/index.php?route=product/loose_diamond_product_detail&diamond_id=71257419

OP, you need to ask your jeweler what size (in mm, NOT carat weight) stone the custom setting will accommodate. Depending on what type setting you're having made, there should be a little wiggle room. Find out the size range it will hold.

Then call IDJ and have Yuketiel find some stones that fall into the size range your setting will hold.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, you need to be able to see the diamond, not just a stock photo of one (as shown on rarepink.com)...

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are still trying to find a stone at the vendor's website, find a stone whose proportions qualify for

1. Inside the Dotted Border (GIA X)
AND
2. Inside the Solid Border (AGS Ideal) Or something really really close to the border.
AND
3. HCA Score Less than 2.0

and
Optional
4.Crown 34-35, Table 54-58, Depth less than 62.3, Pavillion 40.6-40.9
The proportions can be slightly outside these ranges, as long as they qualify for 1, 2, AND 3.

The first stone you already bought fails 2 and 3 and 4
The second stone you mentioned qualifies for 1 and 3, but not 2 and 4. No stone with table size of 62% qualify for AGS Ideal, and there is no solid border to begin with.

Look at the stone I linked (1.3 J). It passes 1,2,3 AND 4.

Yes, you also need the actual photo/video. AND preferably the ASET or Idealscope image to check for any light leakage.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
And DON"T PANIC. This can likely be made right. Take deep breaths.....

j034c409

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much. I really can't tell you how helpful you've been. I (very naively) spent a lot more time figuring out what setting to go with for my girlfriend's ring, and thought I could just pick a diamond based on the stats. Obviously I was very wrong about that. Hopefully I can get my current diamond swapped out for the one you recommended.

I'm happy to pay any sort of expediting fee.

Based on all your experience, is there any reason a company making a custom setting like this shouldn't be able to quickly obtain and switch out a diamond?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ac117|1468877482|4056821 said:
j034c409|1468876352|4056817 said:

If you must pick from their inventory and it must be over 1.5, this one has very good numbers:
https://www.rarepink.com/index.php?route=product/loose_diamond_product_detail&diamond_id=70268900

We would still want an ASET/IS image since the CA is 35.5, but it does compliment the shallower PA of 40.6. Regardless, it'll be better than both stones you posted above.

I agree. This one is promising.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a well cut stone. The crown is low, the bottom half is deep... :knockout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

j034c409

Rough_Rock
Thanks! It looks like they're going to be able to swap out my original stone for the one you guys recommended. My jeweler is double checking to make sure the inclusions aren't eye visible since they're in the middle (it's VVS2, so I wouldn't think so, right?) and to make sure the shading isn't weird (brown/gray instead of yellow).

Anything else I should have her check before saying yes? I don't know that I'll be able to get an ideal scope or ASET image before I have to finalize, so I'm trying to do the best with what I've got.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad they were able to accommodate the switch! Yes, ask about the body color. I would also ask to make sure there's no milkiness/haziness from the medium fluorescence (there shouldn't be especially in medium range but I'd ask anyway). You have nothing to worry about with inclusions in a VVS2 stone. Those are hard enough to see under magnification!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
j034c409|1468931757|4057060 said:
Thanks! It looks like they're going to be able to swap out my original stone for the one you guys recommended. My jeweler is double checking to make sure the inclusions aren't eye visible since they're in the middle (it's VVS2, so I wouldn't think so, right?) and to make sure the shading isn't weird (brown/gray instead of yellow).

Anything else I should have her check before saying yes? I don't know that I'll be able to get an ideal scope or ASET image before I have to finalize, so I'm trying to do the best with what I've got.

Hi j034c409 -

I have to say, if your jeweler is checking to see if a VVS2 diamond is eye clean, then he can't have much experience with diamonds. Either that, or perhaps he doesn't know the definition of 'eye clean'; no inclusions visible with the unaided eye at 8 or 10" (depending which def you're using). If he's looking at it under magnification, unless it's flawless he's always going to find inclusions. But that's not what eye clean means.

And I'm really glad you're switching out your center stone - the first one was a bit of a woofer! Just make sure that your new stone is the same, or close, in dimensions, not ctw. If your ring has been made for a stone which is 7.3mm, I wouldn't want to go more than .1mm in either direction (small or larger).

Wishing you the very best of luck! And as everyone has said - keep calm; this is completely fixable!

ETA Have you decided on the I VVS2 1.53ct stone? It's definitely close enough in size to fit your setting.

And - as per your original question - I'm including a photo of my I VS2 stone. This is an accurate reflection of its color in real life. It's also 3.61ct - so if there was any tint, it would be obvious.

img_12327.jpg

j034c409

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much! That's very helpful and encouraging. They're going to switch out my original one for the 1.53 ct, and I should be getting pictures/videos of that one soon. Will update ASAP!

Your ring is beautiful, by the way! I don't see any tint at all. Seems like I'm good to go with the I color!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results