shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on I Color Diamond Purchase for Engagement Ring

j034c409

Rough_Rock
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread or not, but Rare Pink confirmed they could swap out my original choice with the 1.53 VVS2 that you all recommended. They sent me the attached pic of the 1.53 diamond, and will be following up with a video soon. Do you see anything in the pic that would give you reservations? The price point on this is almost $1000 lower than some similarly rated diamonds I've seen, and I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

https://gm1.ggpht.com/4m3AbGW2KEV_L...WsnYRWWMtYLcIDc6XRzhvLKhrs9c=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

Here's another pic hosted on a different website: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Round/GIA-Certified-1-53-Carat-I-Color-VVS2-Clarity-Diamond-507Z3536Z

Also, Rare Pink sent me a second video of the original diamond that they had picked out. It looks nice to me, and I was wondering if someone could explain what about the cut on this one made it score so much lower?

http://t.yesware.com/tt/2275367952d9f53544addcf2e59de64b10e2fd31/7936c91dd71b0e79244250d9ed9ab5ee/f2cffc85909a4a5715c99239067cb770/quick.as/4omoiAkoJ

Thanks again for all your help! I'm in the home stretch!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask rarepink to get a video of the stone they're swapping in (the I vvs2 1.53) AND this stone side by side.

This one has a big "blank" circle in the middle of the stone which can be expected with those angles as flyingpig explained earlier. It scored POOR on the HCA for fire and scintillation and only good for light return.

If they show you a video side by side of that original stone and the better one they were swapping in, you can let your eyes decide.

Personally, I wouldn't want a big dead circle in the middle of my stone. I also wouldn't want a GIA X that is that close to the outside border that grades POOR. I would take a GIA X that is closer to (or even inside) the inside border (AGS ideal).

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, Rare Pink sent me a second video of the original diamond that they had picked out. It looks nice to me, and I was wondering if someone could explain what about the cut on this one made it score so much lower?
I agree. I cannot say that stone is ugly. It is still GIA XXX. It is still a diamond. You will hardly find a disastrous looking GIA X stone. When I go to a mall and they pull out a random GIA X, it looks pretty. It is just some are more thrilling than others. This goes back to your original question. "Is the cut just bad within that range (meaning still very good overall)" It is GIA X. But it is not top level GIA X. But it is still GIA X. It still may look decent. Question is "is it good enough for YOU??" Just compare this stone to mrs-blop's stone. Look how well defined the contrast pattern is in mrs-blop's stone, whereas it is significantly unclear, skinnier and smaller in yours. This will negatively affect fire, especially in spotlighting environment. Again, the table is too big. Some people like this. It can make a diamond appear larger. However, I (and many) prefer better balance between table facet and crown facets. I like the tighter look of a diamond with a smaller table (eg again mrs-blop's). And I see some potential light leakage issue under the table. I can almost see your fingers thru some areas (under the table) of the diamond.

ringo865|1469292485|4058631 said:
This one has a big "blank" circle in the middle of the stone which can be expected with those angles as flyingpig explained earlier. It scored POOR on the HCA for fire and scintillation and only good for light return.

Are you talking about the black ring surrounding the very inner white circle? My understanding is that is likely due to head shadow/body obstruction/photography issues. I am not an expert either.

Wait until you get the video of the new stone.

PS. Have you requested the Idealscope image??

j034c409

Rough_Rock
Ok, thanks for the input! I can definitely see the differences in contrast that you're pointing out.

As far as the new diamond, they are supposed to send me a video, ASET image, and ideal scope image as soon as possible (probably not until Monday though). Can you tell anything from the pictures I posted as far as whether that appears to be a good cut? It meets all the other standards we've discussed, but is there anything else I could be missing?

You all have basically said that a GIA X rating, combined with a low HCA score means that it's about 95% or higher that the diamond is well cut, but how do you determine if a diamond that meets these criteria is one of the 5% that doesn't?

I guess I'm just a little suspicious that this diamond seems to be priced lower than some other similar diamonds with very good cut evaluations (and I would have assumed I was paying a premium for the VVS2 clarity).

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
j034c409|1469301307|4058660 said:
You all have basically said that a GIA X rating, combined with a low HCA score means that it's about 95% or higher that the diamond is well cut, but how do you determine if a diamond that meets these criteria is one of the 5% that doesn't?

This is why you need the ASET/IS as a final selection tool.
Lets hope they provide you with the ASET/IS. :pray:

the first link you provided does not work. The photo from enchanted diamond is not well taken.

j034c409

Rough_Rock
The ASET/ideal scope images are still pending, but I got a video of the diamonds side by side.

http://quick.as/ggagtrlq6

Are you able to tell which is which from the video? And/or whether the "better" diamond is as well cut as we thought?

I'm pretty sure I know, but wanted to double check with someone who actually knows a little more about diamonds.

Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
j034c409|1469893035|4060857 said:
The ASET/ideal scope images are still pending, but I got a video of the diamonds side by side.

http://quick.as/ggagtrlq6

Are you able to tell which is which from the video? And/or whether the "better" diamond is as well cut as we thought?
need to compare under a few different lighting environments.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results