shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on 1.62 MMD Diamond from Ritani

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some advice on a diamond for an engagement ring. I did some research on the forum and followed the criteria below for the diamond:

diamond parameters
Table 54-58%
Depth 60-62.4%
Pavilion Angle 40.6-40.9 degrees
Crown Angle 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 or perhaps even 36 with a 40.6 pavilion)

And came up with this one:

Can someone give me some advice on how this looks? To me the cut doesn't look perfectly symmetrical in the middle (table) but am I being too picky?

Thank you very much in advance!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think you’re being too picky. This one doesn’t do it for me- the crown angle is a bit high, it’s within acceptable depth, but on the very lower end, so face up size will be average. It also has a lot of body color for an H.
Keep looking friend!

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
Thanks anangel! It's really hard to find something within that spec from Ritani. Are you able to tell me which one of those specs would be the most important? Much appreciated!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks anangel! It's really hard to find something within that spec from Ritani. Are you able to tell me which one of those specs would be the most important? Much appreciated!
They all play together to make a stone with good light return. If you’re shopping on your own, I really recommend being mindful to depth, crown and pavilion angles. What you posted above tends to be the PS go to’s because they pretty consistently are going to be well performing stones, assuming they also have good symmetry as the angles on the report are averages.
The tint in the stone was pretty bad in my opinion for an H. What is your price point?

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
They all play together to make a stone with good light return. If you’re shopping on your own, I really recommend being mindful to depth, crown and pavilion angles. What you posted above tends to be the PS go to’s because they pretty consistently are going to be well performing stones, assuming they also have good symmetry as the angles on the report are averages.
The tint in the stone was pretty bad in my opinion for an H. What is your price point?

I was hoping to find a 1.5ct lab diamond under 3500ish. If you don't think that is realistic I am willing to increase my budget. Thanks!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I just did a quick search, but I like this one - good angles and way less tint!
This one

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I was hoping to find a 1.5ct lab diamond under 3500ish. If you don't think that is realistic I am willing to increase my budget. Thanks!

Is there a particular reason you want it to be from Ritani? Your budget is completely reasonable for what you are searching for in general.

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
Is there a particular reason you want it to be from Ritani? Your budget is completely reasonable for what you are searching for in general.

no reason really but it just seems that they have some really good prices. I'm open to any vendor as long as I can get a good one within my budget!

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
I just did a quick search, but I like this one - good angles and way less tint!
This one

you're so awesome!! If you don't mind me asking (as I'm a newbie at this) do you simply search for the diamonds to fit in the parameters I've listed above and look at the picture to determine if the diamond has yellow tint in it?

I'm simply trying to figure out how much extra I'd have to pay to find something comparable that's bigger? Or you guys think there's virtually no difference between a 1.5 vs a 1.6 or 1.65? Thanks again!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
you're so awesome!! If you don't mind me asking (as I'm a newbie at this) do you simply search for the diamonds to fit in the parameters I've listed above and look at the picture to determine if the diamond has yellow tint in it?

I'm simply trying to figure out how much extra I'd have to pay to find something comparable that's bigger? Or you guys think there's virtually no difference between a 1.5 vs a 1.6 or 1.65? Thanks again!

I used the RareCarat search engine, advanced filters to only include those within the parameters and then let my eyes judge. I look for clearly defined arrows and excellent symmetry, avoid diamonds with too much tint.
I think you could get up to 1.6 on your budget- I hear people notice a size difference of .2 mm or more when comparing diamonds. Either way, a bright diamond with excellent light return is going to look bigger than a comparable sized diamond with a mediocre cut.
Good luck!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Here is something a bit bigger in your budget. You need to request pics of the diamond but on paper it’s very nice, and I’ve purchased from Yadav before- I think they’re a solid vendor
Over 1.6

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
I used the RareCarat search engine, advanced filters to only include those within the parameters and then let my eyes judge. I look for clearly defined arrows and excellent symmetry, avoid diamonds with too much tint.
I think you could get up to 1.6 on your budget- I hear people notice a size difference of .2 mm or more when comparing diamonds. Either way, a bright diamond with excellent light return is going to look bigger than a comparable sized diamond with a mediocre cut.
Good luck!

Thank you so much! If you have a little bit of budget left, would you rather look for something a little bigger or use that budget to get something with better color (E or F)?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much! If you have a little bit of budget left, would you rather look for something a little bigger or use that budget to get something with better color (E or F)?

Depends on how color sensitive you are- I have a 2.14 H, and it’s about as tinted as I would go in that size. It faces up quite white, in part due to the quality of the cut, but I would not consider it icy.
I think if you find a good G, you could go bigger, but looking at pics, I’m surprised at how many levels of tint I’m seeing with that color grade.
If you want an icy look, shoot for an E or F- You won’t get that at G or H period.
If you’re happy with the 1.6 carat size, perhaps you could take the extra budget and splurge a bit on the setting or the wedding band.
What size finger are does the recipient have?
For reference, here is a 1.62 carat F colored diamond I had- lovely, but more white light return than colored light play (all personal preference!):
I know have a 2.14 carat H- very happy with the size, and love the cut!

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
Depends on how color sensitive you are- I have a 2.14 H, and it’s about as tinted as I would go in that size. It faces up quite white, in part due to the quality of the cut, but I would not consider it icy.
I think if you find a good G, you could go bigger, but looking at pics, I’m surprised at how many levels of tint I’m seeing with that color grade.
If you want an icy look, shoot for an E or F- You won’t get that at G or H period.
If you’re happy with the 1.6 carat size, perhaps you could take the extra budget and splurge a bit on the setting or the wedding band.
What size finger are does the recipient have?
For reference, here is a 1.62 carat F colored diamond I had- lovely, but more white light return than colored light play (all personal preference!):
514D8ECE-4A62-413D-8AB5-F3548B7FC4C0.jpeg
I know have a 2.14 carat H- very happy with the size, and love the cut!
3939213F-6FEC-4904-883D-CD5348292507.jpeg

Those look stunning! She has size 6 finger and I honestly think she cares more size and brilliance/how sparkly it is than color. Would you say that the 1.5 you picked for me has a similar cut quality as the two you showed me? And if you don't mind me asking what's your finger size?

Thanks so much for your assistance!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Those look stunning! She has size 6 finger and I honestly think she cares more size and brilliance/how sparkly it is than color. Would you say that the 1.5 you picked for me has a similar cut quality as the two you showed me? And if you don't mind me asking what's your finger size?

Thanks so much for your assistance!

I ran the 1.5 in the HCA- given the images, and the HCA score, I’m sure it would be stunning!
FDE86789-C815-491B-B075-60EFD3D19911.png
752C4B48-07DF-4D51-B35E-A58E68B63948.png
I really think this is a beautiful diamond- G color will be colorless for most people, VS2 is going to be eye clean, tiny table (which many believe leads to more colored light return). Feel free to get a second opinion, but I’d recommend reserving the diamond before you do so no one swipes it.
my finger size is 6.25, so the diamond should look pretty close to the top picture.

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
I ran the 1.5 in the HCA- given the images, and the HCA score, I’m sure it would be stunning!
FDE86789-C815-491B-B075-60EFD3D19911.png
752C4B48-07DF-4D51-B35E-A58E68B63948.png
I really think this is a beautiful diamond- G color will be colorless for most people, VS2 is going to be eye clean, tiny table (which many believe leads to more colored light return). Feel free to get a second opinion, but I’d recommend reserving the diamond before you do so no one swipes it.
my finger size is 6.25, so the diamond should look pretty close to the top picture.

I've just reserved the 1.5! And as soon as Yadav gets back to me with some pictures I will make a decision between these two! Can't thank you enough!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Yadav got back to me with a video of the diamond:

I'd really appreciate if you could give me some advice on it, thanks!

I wish I could put my finger on it, but this one doesn’t doesn’t impress me as much as the other. Still better than your original pick, and probably 90% of diamonds out there.
@lovedogs do you mind having a look at the 1.5 and 1.6 images? You have such a good eye.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could put my finger on it, but this one doesn’t doesn’t impress me as much as the other. Still better than your original pick, and probably 90% of diamonds out there.
@lovedogs do you mind having a look at the 1.5 and 1.6 images? You have such a good eye.

I personally prefer the 1.5. I somehow don't love the look of the 1.6--something about darkness under the table is bothering me.

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@xoulsinz I looked at the list, and I’m not sure if it’s just low inventory post holiday, but none of them really stood out to me. You’re getting to be a good judge too though! Your search parameters were solid and the dark base you were referring to is likely leakage from the table, so yeah, those would not be ideal.
You might have the play with waiting game for a few until inventory improves.

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
@xoulsinz I looked at the list, and I’m not sure if it’s just low inventory post holiday, but none of them really stood out to me. You’re getting to be a good judge too though! Your search parameters were solid and the dark base you were referring to is likely leakage from the table, so yeah, those would not be ideal.
You might have the play with waiting game for a few until inventory improves.

Thank you so very much! I think I will stay put for now then.

xoulsinz

Rough_Rock
@anangel

I'm back with a few more choices, what do you think about this one?

and the ones from this list? I'm so sorry to keep bothering you!! :) Thanks in advance!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results