shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on cloudy diamond...

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I've seen quite a few threads regarding cloudy or milky diamonds and wanted to get some input on the one that I have. My fiance purchased my setting and rock through a brick and mortar seller sometime last July. The store did not carry any diamonds in store- rather they had a "database" and would pull GIA/video/pictures and send links to my fiance and recommend stones for him. The brick and mortar seller recommended two stones. My fiance asked if it would be possible to see the stone in person first (for one of the stones, he said the diamond seller was ok with sending it out first for review. Second diamond seller said no). Unfortunately, before he could respond back, the first diamond already sold to someone else. So he was left with only a GIA report and photo to go off of. (He only proposed last month so I haven't had the ring myself for very long).

I'll have to pull the characteristics from the GIA report later tonight, but from what I can remember off the top of my head, everything rated excellent, no fluoresence, color H, clarity SI2 and comments under clarity said twining, clouds and wisps and surface graining not shown.

The very first thing I noticed when I saw the ring was - "Why is that diamond so white and milky?" He proposed outside during the daytime so there was ample sunlight. Under low light conditions, it sparkles beautifully. But here's the main problem, there are two side stones with my setting. No matter what lighting conditions, the two side stones have much more sparkle, fire and brilliance than the middle stone.

I also ran the specs through HCA last night and it got a horrifying 5.9 score.

I attached some photos for reference...thoughts? Am I just being too picky? I know my fiance paid around $8k+ for this stone.

ring1.jpg ring2.jpg ring3.jpg ring4.jpg ring5.jpg

Reactions: AV_

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello! I've seen quite a few threads regarding cloudy or milky diamonds and wanted to get some input on the one that I have. My fiance purchased my setting and rock through a brick and mortar seller sometime last July. The store did not carry any diamonds in store- rather they had a "database" and would pull GIA/video/pictures and send links to my fiance and recommend stones for him. The brick and mortar seller recommended two stones. My fiance asked if it would be possible to see the stone in person first (for one of the stones, he said the diamond seller was ok with sending it out first for review. Second diamond seller said no). Unfortunately, before he could respond back, the first diamond already sold to someone else. So he was left with only a GIA report and photo to go off of. (He only proposed last month so I haven't had the ring myself for very long).

I'll have to pull the characteristics from the GIA report later tonight, but from what I can remember off the top of my head, everything rated excellent, no fluoresence, color H, clarity SI2 and comments under clarity said twining, clouds and wisps and surface graining not shown.

The very first thing I noticed when I saw the ring was - "Why is that diamond so white and milky?" He proposed outside during the daytime so there was ample sunlight. Under low light conditions, it sparkles beautifully. But here's the main problem, there are two side stones with my setting. No matter what lighting conditions, the two side stones have much more sparkle, fire and brilliance than the middle stone.

I also ran the specs through HCA last night and it got a horrifying 5.9 score.

I attached some photos for reference...thoughts? Am I just being too picky? I know my fiance paid around $8k+ for this stone.

ring1.jpg ring2.jpg ring3.jpg ring4.jpg ring5.jpg
First of all the ring setting is gorgeous!!!love it ! Yeas ,it looks pretty cloudy :( have you tried to give it a good clean ? Can you stop by the jeweler the ring was purchased from and do a professional cleaning ? Was there any comments like clarity grade was based on clouds not shown ?

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Hi Golden_bird! Thanks for the reply. I love the setting too- actually I researched and picked the setting and then let my fiance do the driving when it came to the stone.

The GIA comment said that there were twining, wisps and clouds, and surface graining not shown. I asked my fiance to email the store today to see if they would be willing to help- even though I'm sure we're far past any sort of return policy.

I have cleaned it a couple times with warm water, dish soap and a soft toothbrush. It does sparkle a lot more after it is cleaned, but the whiteness never quite goes away.

It's just disheartening to see how milky and white it is (which is super noticeable to me) especially with the side stones competing with it.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
If you aren’t crazy attached to the stone, I’d ask about an exchange. Given the GIA notes, all the cleaning in the world isn’t going to take away the haze :cry2:
If he can return or exchange, drag him over here so he can get some pro-sumer advice ;)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately cleaning likely won't help. It's the clouds and not great cut that are making it not perform well. I would ask about a return or exchange. We can help him find something much much better.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The clouds not shown could be why your diamond is hazy. The HCA score doesn't help either. My wife has a 1.7ct G/SI1 that rated under 2 on the HCA and had great idealscope and ASET images (meaning, deemed good light return), but regardless, the "clouds not shown" have also made this diamond not as sparkly and more hazy than the diamond I wear (we are a same sex couple).

I can't for the life of me capture a good photo of it, but it looks similar to yours in some lighting. I'd see if an exchange is possible. Your setting is beautiful by the way!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
report says no florescence

oldworlddiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
The diamond should not be "milky" like that. As others have mentioned, if you're not attached to the diamond I would bring it back to the jeweler and address the situation. They knew very well it was a very "milky" stone and that's not cool.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I really appreciate it!

I am not attached to the stone and would actually feel much better if I could get it exchanged. It is beautiful in some regard but it just doesn't sit right with me that my fiance paid so much for a milky diamond. The jeweler kept telling him that it was such a good price for this diamond and that the GIA report looked good. He basically just trusted the jeweler's word and when he picked it up, he said it looked "sparkly" so he left the store without another word.

The last photo is actually the most accurate of what it looks like most of the time. Chalky white-ness competing with the sparkling, tiny side stones :cry2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it back and find a beautiful stone. Are you in the return period?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take it back and exchange it. If the jeweler argues about an exchange I would stand my ground and tell him he was the one that suggested this diamond..you are not happy and want to exchange it..I do see the milkiness and cloudiness...unfortunately..Please come back and tell us what happens..

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure what their return period is but I'm certain whatever it is- we are not within that time frame. He purchased the stone in July 2018, picked it up sometime in Nov 2018, and proposed in Jan 2019.

I've been trying to love it and be ok with the milkyness the entire time I've had it but it makes me sad each time I remember how much he paid and what we got in return. Initially, I also wasn't sure if I was just being overly picky. I mentioned it to a couple of my friends and they told me to stop being ridiculous and that it was beautiful. But these friends also have no idea what the 4C's even are...so there's that!

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it's ridiculous and unfair that the jeweler sold him an obviously cloudy diamond. Very irritating! Especially since he paid so much :( Definitely ask for a refund or exchange. If he can get diamonds that are available online, then we can find a great stone and just have that jeweler bring it in and have you guys purchase from him. That way it's not a straight refund, it's an exchange and he isn't losing the sale.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what their return period is but I'm certain whatever it is- we are not within that time frame. He purchased the stone in July 2018, picked it up sometime in Nov 2018, and proposed in Jan 2019.

I've been trying to love it and be ok with the milkyness the entire time I've had it but it makes me sad each time I remember how much he paid and what we got in return. Initially, I also wasn't sure if I was just being overly picky. I mentioned it to a couple of my friends and they told me to stop being ridiculous and that it was beautiful. But these friends also have no idea what the 4C's even are...so there's that!
Don’t hesitate..Tell the jeweler he just proposed and you want it exchanged. Have your fiancé with you and be firm. In this world of reviews it wouldn’t be in his best interest to argue the point. Pick a day like a Saturday when he’s busy with a lot of people in the store..so he can’t brush you off. I don’t live by this rule but the squeaky wheel gets the most grease. I would start off very pleasant and increase your firmness if he doesn’t budge...

ctsamg

Rough_Rock
I think a good jeweler would be willing to work with you, there may be some cost, but a good jeweler wants you to leave happy and return through a lifetime. That should be worth more to them than the relatively small cost of having to help you source a new diamond and taking that one back.

Do note, that the cost of resetting might end up falling on you.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed!

Let me say this much - I LOVE your diamond... (I also know how not common this taste is, and would not be too pleased with the price).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with the other, go in and demand a refund or at least exchange. He knowingly sold you an expensive dud! :angryfire:

Her FI bought the stone.

Kind of on him to do his homework prior to purchase. He wasn’t defrauded, but it certainly sounds like he certainly made a poor vendor choice. At this point they’re probably going to be relying on this vendor’s good nature and desire for referrals/repeat business... and making “demands” will probably get them a whole lot of nowhere.

Understand what you are and are not contractually entitled to. Your contract is what’s on your paperwork and what’s on the vendor’s website - read all the fine print before you go in.

When you go in, be clear on what you want. Do you want an exchange? What color/clarity/size? How much additional money are you willing to sink into this project?

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Dang....8k is like my dream budget for a diamond ring!!
8-11k in my opinion can get you one of the prettiest diamonds youve ever set your eyes on, with a great chunky size.

I'm so sorry this happened :( your diamond is still beautiful, sadly it just definetely does not look like the price tag of an 8k diamond.
I understand your pain in this scenario...im sure you wouldnt complain if he had explained that he had paid half that amount or less for it but its the feeling of him or you both being swindled that dampens the engagement.

If worse comes to worse, depending on your situation you could always wear it and save up for 3-10 years and then get the diamond of your dreams for the same price and make a nice bezel set diamond pendant out of your milky girl!

Just trying to look on the bright side!

If i were you I'd march myself into the store and explain my strife with the diamond and my unsatisfaction with it. Almost demanding a refund or exchange as it isn't excellent quality. You just may cause them to extend their return period...couldnt hurt. Being kind but firm in how you feel will also help.

Others are ultimately right though, while most of us have the same taste in diamonds, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and if the paperwork they gave you fits the diamond, and they called it beautiful or excellent, sadly your fiance is the only one to blame as its important to do your research when spending such a large sum of money. I also have empathy for him though because I know how easy it is for most salesmen to make something look so good and if i had to pick out something for my fiance that i knew nothing about id also probably make the same mistake and lean on the jeweler/salesperson for expertise.

Aaaaand sorry for the rant, this is a hard one!

Crossing my fingers that you get an amicable outcome!

Last edited:

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for all your replies, everyone! I really appreciate the input that everyone has given. My fiance called the store yesterday, explained the situation to them. They want us to go to the store and look at the diamond themselves and try to clean it first. So we'll be doing that this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the GIA report number...or did I miss it somewhere?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m glad you reached out to them then, and I’m glad your partner is on board! As a side note, can you tell me where you got the dinosaur bracelet? I love it lol.
I want to know too! I always told my boys when they were little that I loved them bigger than a dinosaur so they could understand how big I loved them. Now my daughter-in-law says it to me! I would love to get one!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I’m glad you reached out to them then, and I’m glad your partner is on board! As a side note, can you tell me where you got the dinosaur bracelet? I love it lol.

Oh! The dinosaur bracelet is from Coach. They have a rose gold and gold version and matching bracelet too- it's all from their Rexy collection.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Can you post the GIA report number...or did I miss it somewhere?

Ah, forgot to update the post. Here is the GIA number: 7276759455

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Clouds, graining, inclusions and cut... they are all culprits. I think whoever graded the stone was overly generous.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Oh! The dinosaur bracelet is from Coach. They have a rose gold and gold version and matching bracelet too- it's all from their Rexy collection.

Er, somehow I can't edit my old post- I meant matching ring!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Her FI bought the stone.

Kind of on him to do his homework prior to purchase. He wasn’t defrauded, but it certainly sounds like he certainly made a poor vendor choice. At this point they’re probably going to be relying on this vendor’s good nature and desire for referrals/repeat business... and making “demands” will probably get them a whole lot of nowhere.

Understand what you are and are not contractually entitled to. Your contract is what’s on your paperwork and what’s on the vendor’s website - read all the fine print before you go in.

When you go in, be clear on what you want. Do you want an exchange? What color/clarity/size? How much additional money are you willing to sink into this project?

I understand your frustration, but as @yssie said, the vendor doesn't owe you anything. There were not any fraudulent business practices here. They disclosed all of the information at the time of purchase to your fiancé by giving him the GIA certificate. I'm sure they also had a return period during which he could've returned the diamond (typically 30 days). Again, as @yssie and @TheGarnetGirl said, it's on the buyer to do their homework in these circumstances. If he had done a bit of research, he would've known that SI1-SI2 diamonds with twinning wisps or clouds as the grade-setting inclusion typically suffer from transparency problems. And if he had looked closely at the diamond after initially picking it up from the store and seen how much different it looked from the side stones, then he could've returned it for a different stone at that time.

I certainly think it's worthwhile to approach the jeweler and inquire about a possible exchange, and it sounds like they might be willing to work with you judging by the initial phone inquiry. But I would not go in there and "demand" anything as others in this thread have suggested. Approaching the jeweler as if he/she has wronged you (which he/she has not BTW) will likely not get you anywhere, as it will just tick off the jeweler. In such a case, they'll probably tell you to "read the fine print" on your receipt, remind you that they disclosed everything at the time of sale, and show you the door.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results