shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on a Diamond: 1.04ct J/VS2 Emerald-cut

samaple

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks, hope everyone is doing well. I've been learning a lot from you all at PS (especially since I'm shopping for a diamond for my wife).

I purchased a pre-owned 1.04ct Emerald-cut with an appraisal report of G-H and VVS. I sent it to get GIA verified and the report came back much different (link below):

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

I have to decide whether to keep it, return it or get a partial refund. I paid a little more than $2000 for it.

What do you all think? Is it worth keeping or should I just return it to them? My biggest concern is the J color, especially since it'll be in a platinum setting.

Thanks very much!

SP

PS: I can upload pictures in a day or two once I receive it back from the GIA.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ungraded stones are almost always optimistically graded, I am afraid. Here is a close price comp for you:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.04-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1096057

So your price is pretty good IF the stone is a well cut one, which we'd need pictures to see. I personally prefer a smaller table than that one has, so it probably would not be one I'd personally keep (I prefer closer to 60 table, but 65 and under I'd consider). You'll be looking at around $4k to bump up to I VS2, so the one you have might be a keeper if the cut is good and you don't see much visible tint.

samaple

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006, thanks for your reply. I'll update with photos in a day or two.

How concerned should I be about the GIA J color rating?

Thank you.
SP

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the stone a complete surprise for your wife?

Or have you tried on rings with her?

If it is not a surprise, you should find a reputable B&M vendor with GIA stones in stock, then see how she feels about a J - colour is entirely a personal preference, it does not effect the quality of a stone, just how it looks.

It will show some warmth, that is pretty certain, but if it bothers someone (and to what extent) is entirely personal preference :)

samaple

Rough_Rock
Thanks OoohShiny! She is aware of it. She even put it on her hand and it looked nice. I'll try to get some pictures by Monday/Tuesday. Thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she is fine with the colour, that is great :)

I think the key thing you need to do now is ensure it has good light performance - have you purchased an IdealScope and an ASETscope yet? They will allow you to determine how well the stone performs at its intended task; returning light to you in an attractive manner :)

I think there should be a link to purchasing an idealscope under the Tools tab at the top of the forum - if not, sometimes the adverts come up at the top and the bottom of the forum :)

Failing that, I know that Wink at High Performance Diamonds (who is one of the recommended forum vendors) supplies the tools to those purchasing stones from him - he may be able/willing to sell you them. See what he says!

Once you have them, you can capture the images and post them here for us to comment on. How long do you have to assess the stone? If you've already sent it to GIA then it must be getting close to keep-or-return day?!

samaple

Rough_Rock
Hi OoohShiny, yes - it's getting close, but I still have two weeks. Will definitely look into the tools you mentioned and submit photos as soon as I get it back Monday.

Thank you for the information and guidance.

SP

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent stuff, we will look forward to updates! :)

samaple

Rough_Rock
Hi OoohShiny,

I received the stone from the GIA and have attached pictures here. Am waiting for the scope as well.

Pictures were taken outside during the day.

Do let me know what you think.

Thanks!

dsc03353.jpg

dsc03356.jpg

dsc03351.jpg

dsc03334.jpg

dsc03338.jpg

dsc03343.jpg

dsc03348.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What vendor is taking those horrendous shots.

The diamond is on it's side. At an angle. And on a blue background.

Um. That's just a crappy thing all around. Very misleading and the vendor SHOULD know better.

Tell them to put the dratted thing in a four prong diamond holder. On a white background and to take the pictures head on.
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

samaple

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy, sorry that was me :(

Any advice on how to take good shots at home without a proper holder?

Thanks,
SP

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results