shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice: Is a custom setting needed for this design?

Nolo20

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I'm new to the forum and wanted some advice about designing and ultimately paying for a custom ring setting.

At this point, I know what type of diamond she wants, but I'm not sure how to proceed with the setting. My GF found a style on Etsy that she LOVES (oval stone, skinny/dainty 1.5mm gold band, hidden halo). Here's a link to a similar ring -- The one I saw the other night sold. I included some photos of the original below. We didn't buy it because it is a clarified diamond.

In addition to that, she'd also like a lower setting for the ring, similar to the Stella setting from Apres here. Pictures are also included below for reference. I've asked around but still haven't found the right jeweler. I know JA has a custom setting option, so I can always go that route if need be.

In summary.....
  1. Solitaire with a basket or hidden halo
  2. Thing band without diamonds on it
  3. Rounded prongs
  4. Low setting
My questions are as follows --
  • Is there a standard ring setting out there that combines the requirements above? Or would this be a custom setting?
    • (I've searched for a few hours but couldn't find one)
  • If so, do you all have recommendations on a PS vendor who has done similar work? '
    • (I'm in the DC area and would prefer to go local, but haven't found the right jeweler yet)
  • Is it possible to create a custom wedding band that will work with a low setting?
    • (I've seen one in person with a ring cut-out so that it could slide flush with the band)
  • Lastly, how much of a price premium do you all think something like this will command?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-154022_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201130-154022_Chrome.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20201129-185504_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201129-185504_Chrome.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20201129-185509_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201129-185509_Chrome.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 6

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

your girlfriend might want to read this thread on dainty rings:

I don’t know of a stock setting that combines all your wishes. But David Klass definitley could recreate a very similiar ring. I would budget 2000 usd (it could be less, but prices go up all the time). I would check out his Instagram for similiar setting he has done.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These skinny rings are not very practical. She will need to baby it. I'm pretty sure you'll need to go custom to get the combination
of both thin and low set. She does realize that with it low set a wedding band will have to go out and around the end of the stone?
Make sure she likes that look. I personally suggest going wider like maybe 1.8-2.0.

Nolo20

Rough_Rock
Hi,

your girlfriend might want to read this thread on dainty rings:

I don’t know of a stock setting that combines all your wishes. But David Klass definitley could recreate a very similiar ring. I would budget 2000 usd (it could be less, but prices go up all the time). I would check out his Instagram for similiar setting he has done.

Thanks. I shared the thread with her. I also have some concerns about the structural integrity of the ring if the band is that small.

This is helpful though - I wasn't sure if there was a common setting that had some of these characteristics. It sounds like the answer is no, and I need to go custom.

Nolo20

Rough_Rock
These skinny rings are not very practical. She will need to baby it. I'm pretty sure you'll need to go custom to get the combination
of both thin and low set. She does realize that with it low set, a wedding band will have to go out and around the end of the stone?
Make sure she likes that look. I personally suggest going wider like maybe 1.8-2.0.

Thank you. The low setting is a lower priority than the basket / halo under the stone. I appreciate the recommendation on bandwidth as well -- I'll get her into a jeweler so that she can try and a few with that width range in person.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. The low setting is a lower priority than the basket / halo under the stone. I appreciate the recommendation on bandwidth as well -- I'll get her into a jeweler so that she can try and a few with that width range in person.

the underhalo is pretty common but as other posters mentioned not combined with the setting being low (i'd guess b/c that makes it hard to see the hidden halo)

trying things on in person if possible will hopefully help a lot - congrats on your future engagement =)

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
A thin band can also spin or tilt sideways under the weight of the stone.
It can also crack more easily doing every day tasks .
You want to be sure the stones in the hidden halo are set well, so none fall out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results