shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice/insight about adjusting to “warm” stone?

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
Not sure this applies but in a few of your photos it seems the walls/surroundings may be a pale beige or cream color, which your diamond would pick up and reflect. Otherwise, FWIW most of your photos do show (to my eyes) a white/colorless diamond.

Thank you marymm! Good catch! I do have cream/pale beige walls. I think that combined with the warm lighting was bringing out color that I wouldn’t have otherwise seen. That and my paranoia!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
First off congrates on your engagement!!!!!!!
I am not saying 100% that this is what your seeing but diamonds pick up color from the environment around them.
Even the clothes you are wearing.
Ovals and pears more so than ideal cut rounds because they draw light from more angles than an ideal cut mrb.
If it is in just one or 2 places look around the room behind you and what you are wearing and see what colors are around you.
Then move around and see if the color tracks the color in the room in the diamond.
It is not unusual at all for the melee not to pick up the color because of their size and where they are drawing light compared to the much larger and different cut center stone.
Also make sure the diamond is clean, some left over polishing compound on the diamond even the pavilion can totally change the diamonds color from some angles.

The difference in lighting color can also make a difference.

Thank you Karl_K! I am happy to report that I have “made peace” with my oval stone! It was definitely an adjustment at first - a lot of my research was taking into account MRBs moreso than fancy shapes - and I think that skewed how I anticipated the color/warmth to show and when. That being said, I am thrilled with my ring! All its “birthmarks” make it even more unique and special.:roll2:

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
Oh! Thanks for correcting that. I can see tint on an H. I love warmer colors on other people and can appreciate their beauty, but on me, I keep wanting warmer colors to be whiter.

But I will take an SI2 stone (depending) so it just depends on how your mind works i guess..

Right?! I think it’s really interesting how preferences on diamond colors, cuts, clarity, etc. are so personal and vary. For me, I think this is my sweet spot. I could see myself maybe going lower in clarity in the future but not color I don’t think. Maybe if it was a MRB, but not an oval!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi whitewave:wavey: My engagement ring is an E, VVS2 and lately i got a J, SI2 (eye clean). You know what? Ι honestly love the warmer/lower clarity stone much more than the crispy white one, even when i look at them with the one right next to the other!!

To the OP: Your ring is GORGEOUS and looks very white and beautiful on your hand! Huge congrats on your engagement and as everybody else suggested, try to take photos of it while you're wearing white clothes and your surroundings are of whiter color too. Sometimes, even my E stone looks yellowish when my clothes and surroundings are of the...wrong color!

Hi Natylad! I hope you enjoying both of your stones, they sound lovely!!!

Thank you for your kind words about my ring. I can honestly and happily report that I have come to love it! I do sometimes detect some warmth, but when I do, it’s more... charming than anything? Almost comforting in a way, because it is my diamond’s “birthmark”. I love the pastel flashes I get and how it sparkles and looks so incredibly lively. It’s perfect for me! :kiss2:

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
It depends on the lighting. I have two warm stones, a K and an L. Sometimes they look very white and every so often I catch a tint. In fact they always look different in every single lighting situation.
In your photos I don’t see tint. I think when the diamond is very clean and sparkling you would have to work hard to see tint.
My advice would be to stop obsessing and enjoy your beautiful ring, unless you are really miserable.

GREAT advice Jimmianne! I stopped obsessing and started enjoying - happily I can say I am IN LOVE with my ring now. It’s unique and special, just like the love it represents!

I hope you are enjoying your stones - they both sound amazing!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
First off, no apologies necessary when asking or doing a dear diary post on this site. Most of us have come in a dire need or urgency for assurance, comfort, or guidance.

I'm not an oval expert and plenty of wisdom already shared already. I just wanted to commiserate with my own story that hopefully brings you comfort. My E-ring is a color H and a 5 stone RHR that was color J. I always heard that going 2 colors up or down, you can't really notice the difference, especially that it would be worn on two hands. Turns out that my E-ring might be whiter than an H and I noticed a disparity between the two colors. The J didn't have a yellow tint but it bothered me that there was a difference in color between the stones as in I wish they were all J color or I wish they were all H colors. Wondered if I made a mistake. Had some moments that it bothered me and even talked to the vendor again about making changes. Months later though, I got used to it and it doesn't bug me anymore. Please give it more time and hopefully the next step will be clear!

As everyone already mentioned though, it's a beautiful ring and congratulations again!

PierreBear, thank you so much! I was embarrassed at the time because I felt like it was so ridiculous, and to be honest, I didn’t want to seem ungrateful to DF. He spent quite a pretty penny on my ring, more than I think he was intending to, and I had managed to find fault with it.

That being said, I am happy to report that I have fallen head over heels in love with my ring! I did as you suggested, just wore it and got used to it, and came to realize that it is perfectly imperfect. The tiny bit of warmth doesn’t bother me in the slightest any longer - in fact I find it really pretty when it does come out - and I am happy I took the advice of yourself and others who suggested I just take it day by day. Looking back, I think if I had tinkered with it, I would have been very sorry I did.

Again, thank you for your kind words! They were a great comfort!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
First, congratulations on your engagement! What a wonderful and exciting time for you =)2

As for your ring... if you spend enough time on here reading threads you'll find that an overwhelming majority of people change something about their ring at some point. It might be a new setting or a new stone, but something was "improved": Larger stone, different shape, better color, different metal, different style.... the list is endless. So please don't feel that your situation is unusual. What I'd encourage you to do is to give it some time; often what jumps out to us at first can eventually fade in to the background (and I say that as a fellow perfectionist for details!). To share a quick personal story, I had a similar situation - when I was first given my custom-made ring there was one aspect that I really didn't like and it's ALL I saw every time I looked at my ring. However, within a couple of months, I barely noticed it and now see the ring as a whole instead of individual pieces. My hope is that that will be the case for you too.

One thing that may help is the selection of your wedding bands. You may find on that helps it all blend together very well. And if SOMETHING ends up needing to be changed, I'd strongly suggest having your melee swapped for a G/H grade because your oval is gorgeous!

ILikeShiny, thank you so much for your comment! I am happy to report that I love my ring now! Honestly, truly love it. I look down at my ring and sigh contentedly because I know it was purchased with all the love in the world and I think about how it is exactly what I wanted.

Like you predicted, the “warmth” has faded into the background of the ring as a whole and really contributed to its charm. I’m thrilled I got over it because it’s made DF happy but also it’s been a weight off my shoulders to not have feelings of regret any longer or the associated stress.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your story and to share your kind words! It was such a comfort to hear I wasn’t alone in my plight! :bigsmile:

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
59D29629-D900-46DC-80AA-DCBA52FB17CD.jpeg 547FE976-C7BB-4B06-80B2-02CC3A133D67.jpeg Lighting can be crazy! Look at my d colour superideal in weird lighting!

Your ring looks white to me :)

GORGEOUS!!!! Wear it in good health and happiness! Thank you for sharing and commenting pearaffair! :roll2:

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you love it! It’s absolutely gorgeous and looks fantastic on your hand! :appl:

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
I’ll join @pearaffair:

My G color EC in very soft, antique lighting: 4A371EBB-10E7-481D-BBA1-79EE9E49D871.jpeg

The same G EC in my soft, home lighting:

F81EB8A7-E214-418A-A6C9-9AE15AF0A468.jpeg

And the same G EC in natural sunlight at Clearwater Beach, FL:

B8ACCEB3-4F15-4451-AF0A-6CA7EB7F63DC.jpeg
My diamond reflects and picks up colors in the environment!! I have black kitchen appliances. You can imagine what my diamonds look like in the reflection, every time I walk past my oven...lol!! Step Cuts tend to show more body color than brilliant cuts. My EC picks up all colors, not just her own...just like water. ;)2
You’re safe with your oval; she’s very, very white. :mrgreen2:

Amazing!!!! You are so kind, Matthews1127! I really appreciate you sharing your beautiful bling with me and helping to put my mind at rest. I have come to ADORE my ring, really, and just am so happy with it.

It’s so funny - I never considered step cuts when I first was looking, but lately I cannot get a baguette band out of my mind. They’re so elegant looking imo. All you shared is simply stunning - I hope you wear them with good health and great happiness!!! :love:

Thank you again, your words and pictures were so helpful and such a comfort! 8)

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
I like all the wonderful people above don't see a lot of color but in one pix. I love your ring.. it's beautiful.. but I can say, if color bothers you, you may want to change the stone at some time.. people can love stones with yellow hints.. but if it continually bothers you, then it would be upgrade time. It looks perfect to me and congratulations!

Thank you Tekate! I have come to love my ring, every little bit of it. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and thank you for the congratulations!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
I want to tell you to love it, but if it bothers you now, it's likely it always will. If you can change it, I'd do that....

Hi ac117! I took some time to enjoy my ring and sure enough, I do love it!!!! I was obsessing unnecessarily.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT advice Jimmianne! I stopped obsessing and started enjoying - happily I can say I am IN LOVE with my ring now. It’s unique and special, just like the love it represents!

I hope you are enjoying your stones - they both sound amazing!
I am happy to hear that!!

P

PierreBear

PierreBear, thank you so much! I was embarrassed at the time because I felt like it was so ridiculous, and to be honest, I didn’t want to seem ungrateful to DF. He spent quite a pretty penny on my ring, more than I think he was intending to, and I had managed to find fault with it.

That being said, I am happy to report that I have fallen head over heels in love with my ring! I did as you suggested, just wore it and got used to it, and came to realize that it is perfectly imperfect. The tiny bit of warmth doesn’t bother me in the slightest any longer - in fact I find it really pretty when it does come out - and I am happy I took the advice of yourself and others who suggested I just take it day by day. Looking back, I think if I had tinkered with it, I would have been very sorry I did.

Again, thank you for your kind words! They were a great comfort!

Hey lady!! I appreciate you reporting back and so glad that it is good news. Hurray! Just take what you've learned and if you make future purchases you can consider the new knowledge in color sensitivity. Keep enjoying your beauties!!! :clap:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thrilled I got over it because it’s made DF happy but also it’s been a weight off my shoulders to not have feelings of regret any longer or the associated stress.
:confused2:I was happy all along. Your beautiful ring costed me an arm and two legs..:lol:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I missed this thread somehow, but seeing all the great advice and encouragement you have received in this thread makes me very happy that I saw it today.

As a Jeweler, I can tell you that your initial reaction is every jeweler's nightmare. We make the ring to the client's directions. We love the ring, think it is incredible, and the client is not happy for any reason. It really does not matter why, it just matters that it is so.

It is fantastic for you that you ended up loving the ring, and also, especially for your fiancé who honored you enough to have you guide the creation of his symbol of his love for you.

It warms my heart to read this thread on a cold Idaho day.

Wink

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
Who was the jeweler you used, @boomcast ?

Signed, a curious PSer from Dallas.

Hi MonkeysInk! I got my beautiful ring made by Lauren with Lauren Belle Jewelry. I would highly recommend her if you are looking for custom pieces. She was so entirely patient with me during the design process and even after when I bombarded her with questions - she was just great and the ring she designed is fantastic. My diamond dilemma here is entirely separate; Lauren’s work is well done, completely lovely and the customer service is second to none. I worked with her all the way from San Francisco and would do it again in a heartbeat!

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi MonkeysInk! I got my beautiful ring made by Lauren with Lauren Belle Jewelry. I would highly recommend her if you are looking for custom pieces. She was so entirely patient with me during the design process and even after when I bombarded her with questions - she was just great and the ring she designed is fantastic. My diamond dilemma here is entirely separate; Lauren’s work is well done, completely lovely and the customer service is second to none. I worked with her all the way from San Francisco and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Thanks - I’ll have to check her out next time I’m in that part of town!

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you love your ring now! To me, H is completely white. I am surprised anyone thinks differently because diamonds pick up so many colors even if in very specific lighting an F or G would be whiter when does that happen ? I have a J that looks ice white to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results