shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice/insight about adjusting to “warm” stone?

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
ED36379A-4B32-4642-9793-E1A1CC63137A.jpeg 6414FB8A-D22F-4C55-B650-BD057995CFB0.jpeg DD5FFDD9-1B4B-4018-A0EB-E6FBC935AB9A.jpeg 8E106779-75E7-458C-9316-A645A220B174.jpeg BEC393A3-0562-497D-9365-D70731D52F89.jpeg 11CDB0E7-24EC-4E78-A0AC-0CDF85CA85CE.jpeg AC19DDA1-BD20-40E7-9B18-FAFC196186FF.jpeg E6A5C0CF-AADE-4E5F-BD68-FF51672B6C18.jpeg Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you for reading the below. I will admit it is a stream of my thought and relatively disorganized but I assumed the experts on here could give me some advice/insight.

Okay, my dilemma - I just got engaged on Saturday (not the problem at all, I’m thrilled about this lol) and my lovely fiancé let me take the reigns on my ring. When we were talking about getting engaged, he mentioned he was overwhelmed by all the choices and wanted me to have *exactly* what I wanted, hence began me basically building my ring.

I picked the stone first - a beautiful 1.71 oval, GIA VS2, H color and then a few weeks after I found the woman we would end up using to make the setting. As she was in Dallas and we are in SF, we had to send the stone to her to mount. I mention this because a few days before I we got engaged, she posted a photo on instagram that looked eerily like my ring or what I imagined it to look like, as I never got any pictures from her, just CADs early in the design process. I texted my then boyfriend (who was keeping the ring in safe keeping and without me seeing it) to ask if that was it, and he said it wasn’t my ring.

This is where we get to the meat and bones of it - I was so RELIEVED to hear this. The moment I saw the ring, I was like, oh my gosh that center stone is yellowish! Please don’t let that be mine!

And well, it was.

Now when I first contacted our setting designer, I asked her is she was able to use lower grade melee to help the contrast between center stone and pave band not be so great. I understand now that really wasn’t going to help anything, and I am not entirely sure it was done as she assured me the melee would be selected to compliment my center stone and I never heard anything more, or as I mentioned, saw any photos.

I guess the main thing now is whenever I look at my hand indoors or in certain situations my eyes can now pick up the “warmth” of my stone. I didn’t realize I was color sensitive - we looked at both a G stone as well when purchasing this stone and I went for mine as it had better proportions - inside the store and outside in overcast SF Bay weather. I saw absolutely no warmth at the time, but then again it was unmounted. The only time I had an opportunity to observe it next to pave stones was under jewelry lights with the stone resting loose in the setting, and even then, I didn’t pick up on it.

I’m frustrated with myself because I feel I made a mistake somehow. I did SO, so much research on every little bit and felt very comfortable with my decisions prior to this - I was sure it would be the ring of my dreams! My fiancé noticed the warmth after I frantically asked him to check the ring before he proposed, but he blames it on our very warm home lighting and maybe a filter our ring designer used, although I noticed it when it was overcast outside this morning too.

I had a very specific “vision” of how I wanted my ring to look, and I was not anticipating for any warmth in my center stone/contrast between the pave stones. I feel like since the picture our designer posted (attached - she’s the one picture on the white hand) that’s the only thing I am focusing on, as it was my unintentional introduction to my ring. I am a tinkerer and perfectionist by nature, and I’ve mentioned a few times to my fiancé that I feel bad because it is a gorgeous stone and “maybe I should have just gone for a plain white gold band.” He says he wants me to be happy and embrace the imperfections - because, as he says, nothing is ever perfect. To him it is most important that we “built” the ring together (which is true, he supported my decisions and weighed in when asked.) I know he does not want to make any alterations to the ring as he feels that I have an insane eye for detail and once I tinker, the ring will never be done. His exact words were “I know you view everything in life as a project, but I would really hope you could be happy with this as it is and enjoy it.” I mentioned I feel like I failed him somehow and he said there is no way to fail when my ring wasn’t a test.

Another problem I think is that I have not really ever looked at diamonds before irl, especially ovals, so I am unfamiliar with their quirks and how they typically react/show warmth, and therefore am unable to judge if all of this is “normal.”

I am sorry everyone - I just need some reassurance and insight!

Last edited:

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
To be honest, I see very little colour in the diamond and think your ring is lovely. Sorry that's not much help but I'm sure others will offer suggestions.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ED36379A-4B32-4642-9793-E1A1CC63137A.jpeg 6414FB8A-D22F-4C55-B650-BD057995CFB0.jpeg DD5FFDD9-1B4B-4018-A0EB-E6FBC935AB9A.jpeg 8E106779-75E7-458C-9316-A645A220B174.jpeg BEC393A3-0562-497D-9365-D70731D52F89.jpeg 11CDB0E7-24EC-4E78-A0AC-0CDF85CA85CE.jpeg AC19DDA1-BD20-40E7-9B18-FAFC196186FF.jpeg E6A5C0CF-AADE-4E5F-BD68-FF51672B6C18.jpeg Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you for reading the below. I will admit it is a stream of my thought and relatively disorganized but I assumed the experts on here could give me some advice/insight.

Okay, my dilemma - I just got engaged on Saturday (not the problem at all, I’m thrilled about this lol) and my lovely fiancé let me take the reigns on my ring. When we were talking about getting engaged, he mentioned he was overwhelmed by all the choices and wanted me to have *exactly* what I wanted, hence began me basically building my ring.

I picked the stone first - a beautiful 1.71 oval, GIA VS2, H color and then a few weeks after I found the woman we would end up using to make the setting. As she was in Dallas and we are in SF, we had to send the stone to her to mount. I mention this because a few days before I we got engaged, she posted a photo on instagram that looked eerily like my ring or what I imagined it to look like, as I never got any pictures from her, just CADs early in the design process. I texted my then boyfriend (who was keeping the ring in safe keeping and without me seeing it) to ask if that was it, and he said it wasn’t my ring.

This is where we get to the meat and bones of it - I was so RELIEVED to hear this. The moment I saw the ring, I was like, oh my gosh that center stone is yellowish! Please don’t let that be mine!

And well, it was.

Now when I first contacted our setting designer, I asked her is she was able to use lower grade melee to help the contrast between center stone and pave band not be so great. I understand now that really wasn’t going to help anything, and I am not entirely sure it was done as she assured me the melee would be selected to compliment my center stone and I never heard anything more, or as I mentioned, saw any photos.

I guess the main thing now is whenever I look at my hand indoors or in certain situations my eyes can now pick up the “warmth” of my stone. I didn’t realize I was color sensitive - we looked at both a G stone as well when purchasing this stone and I went for mine as it had better proportions - inside the store and outside in overcast SF Bay weather. I saw absolutely no warmth at the time, but then again it was unmounted. The only time I had an opportunity to observe it next to pave stones was under jewelry lights with the stone resting loose in the setting, and even then, I didn’t pick up on it.

I’m frustrated with myself because I feel I made a mistake somehow. I did SO, so much research on every little bit and felt very comfortable with my decisions prior to this - I was sure it would be the ring of my dreams! My fiancé noticed the warmth after I frantically asked him to check the ring before he proposed, but he blames it on our very warm home lighting and maybe a filter our ring designer used, although I noticed it when it was overcast outside this morning too.

I had a very specific “vision” of how I wanted my ring to look, and I was not anticipating for any warmth in my center stone/contrast between the pave stones. I feel like since the picture our designer posted (attached - she’s the one picture on the white hand) that’s the only thing I am focusing on, as it was my unintentional introduction to my ring. I am a tinkerer and perfectionist by nature, and I’ve mentioned a few times to my fiancé that I feel bad because it is a gorgeous stone and “maybe I should have just gone for a plain white gold band.” He says he wants me to be happy and embrace the imperfections - because, as he says, nothing is ever perfect. To him it is most important that we “built” the ring together (which is true, he supported my decisions and weighed in when asked.) I know he does not want to make any alterations to the ring as he feels that I have an insane eye for detail and once I tinker, the ring will never be done. His exact words were “I know you view everything in life as a project, but I would really hope you could be happy with this as it is and enjoy it.” I mentioned I feel like I failed him somehow and he said there is no way to fail when my ring wasn’t a test.

Another problem I think is that I have not really ever looked at diamonds before irl, especially ovals, so I am unfamiliar with their quirks and how they typically react/show warmth, and therefore am unable to judge if all of this is “normal.”

I am sorry everyone - I just need some reassurance and insight!

The only photo that shows a hint of color is the photo from Instagram; the stone looks completely white on you. Not certain where the color is showing, when you look at it, but from the top, it faces up extremely white! Kudos to you for finding an oval that has consistent facets across the stone, with minimal bow tie effect!! It’s a beautiful diamond, and those ovals are tough to find! You made the right decision by choosing the stone with better proportions!! H color really shouldn’t show much tint, unless you’re viewing it from the side. I understand the contrast with the melee, but there is minimal to no contrast in those photos.
You really shouldn’t beat yourself up; your ring is beautiful, and you found a true unicorn with that oval! I wouldn’t change it, and since your FI is set on it, I’d embrace it. Just be sure to try wedding rings on in person to avoid any further issues!
Congratulations on your engagement! The ring is really beautiful on you, and gives you nice coverage!!! :mrgreen2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Matthews1127 the only time I see any tint is in 1 of the photos, and that could be picking up colour from the surroundings.

You’ve only had the ring a couple of days, do you think you’re ‘looking’ for tint because of the photo you saw before you got it?

Honestly, I see a beautiful, white sparkly ring.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Like you, I am color sensitive and I see a very slight tint, although it still looks white to me. I am guessing once set in a ring it brings out a different flavor or somehow makes the color more apparent to you in real life.

Please don't beat yourself up for a "wrong" decision - the truth is a lot of times we don't quite know what our tolerance levels are for color in a diamond (which we only know over time after more diamond purchases!), or how a diamond would look in a setting until after it has happened. I made both those costly mistakes (misjudging my color tolerance, switching to a setting that made my center stone look worse), and there are a ton of threads on PS where others have had similar experiences before!

I do think it looks really lovely. But if it continues to bug you, would you and the fiance consider setting it in a simple rose gold shank with platinum prongs setting? I know there are discussions on here about metals, and how a colored metal (rose gold, or yellow) with a white basket and prongs helps make the center stone whiter due to the contrast. If you guys are open to it that could be an option.

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yayyy another oval lover! I also bought my oval last week and i am head over heels in love! I saw the photos but i dont think the color is that bad! Honestly my oval is an I color and that is a huge faux pas in the oval world! But it makes me happy ;)2. Enjoy it! Please dont look for imperfections! No diamond is 100% perfect! If you are anything like me, i would obsess over the color, return it for a D, then obsess over the clarity, return it for a vvs1 or IF, then obsess over the carat because at that point and with my budget, I could probably afford a 0.3 carat with those high end specs when I started out with a 1.81 carat! Then i would obsess over the new 0.3 carat stone, cry, and want the original 1.81 stone back but by that time it would have been sold lol. Its so easy to find imperfections in diamonds because they are nature made. Just like a mom who loves her child that is not 100 percent perfect, you will love your diamond ring. Hope this helps. Now, off to exchange my I color oval for a D color oval. Just kidding.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm colour sensitive and although noticeable, I think it still looks lovely! There's something

Colour is very much an artificial construct to make us believe that white is better (yet we then set a price for fancy colour diamonds, particularly pink). I agree with BlingBlingLova - no diamond is 100% perfect. That is a beautiful stone in a stunning setting. Wear it a week or two and you'll find small little details you look at no longer bother you. The buyer's remorse will pass. That's a stunning ring.

Give it some time before you do anything. We did that with an expensive coat - oh, but it's too tight around the shoulders, what about that one, I spent this much... should I have bought the other one. Now it gets lots of wear! It wasn't too tight and fits fashionably well. And That would be my advice.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful and faces up very white! But yours is the only opinion that matters!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think colour is a very personal choice what one person is O.K with another is not. That is the problem here, if you are not happy with the ring then you will either have to grow to like it or you might indeed never really be happy with the colour. Ovals and pears as cuts tend to show more tint than some of the other cuts that hide or mask colour better. A lot of jewellers cannot find well cut melee in lower colours so that might have been another reason melee a higher colour got used in the ring setting, or indeed it could just be that rounds disguise colour a lot better than ovals do.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only photo that shows a hint of color is the photo from Instagram; the stone looks completely white on you. Not certain where the color is showing, when you look at it, but from the top, it faces up extremely white! Kudos to you for finding an oval that has consistent facets across the stone, with minimal bow tie effect!! It’s a beautiful diamond, and those ovals are tough to find! You made the right decision by choosing the stone with better proportions!! H color really shouldn’t show much tint, unless you’re viewing it from the side. I understand the contrast with the melee, but there is minimal to no contrast in those photos.
You really shouldn’t beat yourself up; your ring is beautiful, and you found a true unicorn with that oval! I wouldn’t change it, and since your FI is set on it, I’d embrace it. Just be sure to try wedding rings on in person to avoid any further issues!
Congratulations on your engagement! The ring is really beautiful on you, and gives you nice coverage!!! :mrgreen2:

I agree with @Matthews1127... the IG pic shows a little warmth, but it could just be the lighting. Ovals are tough, and it looks like you chose a nice one! The ring is beautiful and looks lovely on your finger. All that said, if it truly bothers you, can you have your jeweler start the search for another oval in a G or above? Does he/she offer an upgrade/exchange policy? Are you in the return window?
Also, I don't know if this is an option, but @Rhino has created the "Opulance" ovals from his August Vintage line that have AMAZING light performance... it's in the early stages, so there aren't just a ton of them cut already to my knowledge, but you may want to check them out! TBH, I wouldn't mind having an H/I color in one of those bc their light performance acts a lot like rounds!

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence/carat-weight-range_1-50-1-69ct

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks very pretty...but OK, enough about me. Did you happen to use a vendor with a good return policy? A lot of Pricescope vendors have 30
day returns if you're not happy for some reason. I realize that you may be out of that since you had a setting made.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think colour is a very personal choice what one person is O.K with another is not. That is the problem here, if you are not happy with the ring then you will either have to grow to like it or you might indeed never really be happy with the colour. Ovals and pears as cuts tend to show more tint than some of the other cuts that hide or mask colour better. A lot of jewellers cannot find well cut melee in lower colours so that might have been another reason melee a higher colour got used in the ring setting, or indeed it could just be that rounds disguise colour a lot better than ovals do.

It doesn’t look warm to me. Maybe you’re looking for icy white, which is fine. I agree with @arkieb1 over time, you may or may not be happy with it. I don’t think you should force yourself to love it and be ok with it if you aren’t. You could try a different setting or sell it or upgrade it at a future date. I understand your fiance’s comments about not wanting to change it but you’re the one wearing it, not him. For me, the biggest struggle is trying to tell myself on a daily basis to be ok with something when I’m not. Good luck!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure this applies but in a few of your photos it seems the walls/surroundings may be a pale beige or cream color, which your diamond would pick up and reflect. Otherwise, FWIW most of your photos do show (to my eyes) a white/colorless diamond.

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I see very little colour in the diamond and think your ring is lovely. Sorry that's not much help but I'm sure others will offer suggestions.

Thank you Jacquiemalta! I appreciate you weighing in with your opinion and taking the time to read my thread!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get someone to check the GIA numbers on the stone with your report just to be sure it is the same stone.

A G is not warm (I am tint sensitive).

Clean your diamond-- that is always step one.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"inside the store and outside in overcast SF Bay weather. I saw absolutely no warmth at the time, but then again it was unmounted. The only time I had an opportunity to observe it next to pave stones was under jewelry lights with the stone resting loose in the setting, and even then, I didn’t pick up on it.

I’m frustrated with myself because I feel I made a mistake somehow. I did SO, so much research on every little bit and felt very comfortable with my decisions prior to this - I was sure it would be the ring of my dreams! My fiancé noticed the warmth after I frantically asked him to check the ring before he proposed, but he blames it on our very warm home lighting"

Most home lighting is very warm at 2700k. Most retailers use more neutral or cooler lighting, often fluorescent light. Daylighting is even cooler at 5000~10000k, especially under overcast or blue sky.

I think your fiance nailed it.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
First off congrates on your engagement!!!!!!!
I am not saying 100% that this is what your seeing but diamonds pick up color from the environment around them.
Even the clothes you are wearing.
Ovals and pears more so than ideal cut rounds because they draw light from more angles than an ideal cut mrb.
If it is in just one or 2 places look around the room behind you and what you are wearing and see what colors are around you.
Then move around and see if the color tracks the color in the room in the diamond.
It is not unusual at all for the melee not to pick up the color because of their size and where they are drawing light compared to the much larger and different cut center stone.
Also make sure the diamond is clean, some left over polishing compound on the diamond even the pavilion can totally change the diamonds color from some angles.

The difference in lighting color can also make a difference.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get someone to check the GIA numbers on the stone with your report just to be sure it is the same stone.

A G is not warm (I am tint sensitive).

Clean your diamond-- that is always step one.

Her diamond is an H color, not G.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most home lighting is very warm at 2700k. Most retailers use more neutral or cooler lighting, often fluorescent light. Daylighting is even cooler at 5000~10000k, especially under overcast or blue sky.

I think your fiance nailed it.
I would agree that that could be what is going on also.
Even my D color diamond looks different colors in different lighting colors.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her diamond is an H color, not G.

Oh! Thanks for correcting that. I can see tint on an H. I love warmer colors on other people and can appreciate their beauty, but on me, I keep wanting warmer colors to be whiter.

But I will take an SI2 stone (depending) so it just depends on how your mind works i guess..

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! Thanks for correcting that. I can see tint on an H. I love warmer colors on other people and can appreciate their beauty, but on me, I keep wanting warmer colors to be whiter.

But I will take an SI2 stone (depending) so it just depends on how your mind works i guess..

Hi whitewave:wavey: My engagement ring is an E, VVS2 and lately i got a J, SI2 (eye clean). You know what? Ι honestly love the warmer/lower clarity stone much more than the crispy white one, even when i look at them with the one right next to the other!!

To the OP: Your ring is GORGEOUS and looks very white and beautiful on your hand! Huge congrats on your engagement and as everybody else suggested, try to take photos of it while you're wearing white clothes and your surroundings are of whiter color too. Sometimes, even my E stone looks yellowish when my clothes and surroundings are of the...wrong color!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the lighting. I have two warm stones, a K and an L. Sometimes they look very white and every so often I catch a tint. In fact they always look different in every single lighting situation.
In your photos I don’t see tint. I think when the diamond is very clean and sparkling you would have to work hard to see tint.
My advice would be to stop obsessing and enjoy your beautiful ring, unless you are really miserable.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, congratulations on your engagement! What a wonderful and exciting time for you =)2

As for your ring... if you spend enough time on here reading threads you'll find that an overwhelming majority of people change something about their ring at some point. It might be a new setting or a new stone, but something was "improved": Larger stone, different shape, better color, different metal, different style.... the list is endless. So please don't feel that your situation is unusual. What I'd encourage you to do is to give it some time; often what jumps out to us at first can eventually fade in to the background (and I say that as a fellow perfectionist for details!). To share a quick personal story, I had a similar situation - when I was first given my custom-made ring there was one aspect that I really didn't like and it's ALL I saw every time I looked at my ring. However, within a couple of months, I barely noticed it and now see the ring as a whole instead of individual pieces. My hope is that that will be the case for you too.

One thing that may help is the selection of your wedding bands. You may find on that helps it all blend together very well. And if SOMETHING ends up needing to be changed, I'd strongly suggest having your melee swapped for a G/H grade because your oval is gorgeous!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium

Hi Matthews1127, thank you so much for taking the time to read my long, rambling thread and your insight on my stone! I appreciate the affirmation in my decision - as I mentioned, I did boatloads of research and was so proud of myself! That said, I still am! The stone sparkles like crazy and gives off rainbows whenever light hits it.

I think the Instagram photo majorily threw me off and it all snowballed from there.

I’m very happy to have a ring at all, and especially one from a guy who loves me as much as my fiancé does! Thank you again SO much!!!

P

PierreBear

First off, no apologies necessary when asking or doing a dear diary post on this site. Most of us have come in a dire need or urgency for assurance, comfort, or guidance.

I'm not an oval expert and plenty of wisdom already shared already. I just wanted to commiserate with my own story that hopefully brings you comfort. My E-ring is a color H and a 5 stone RHR that was color J. I always heard that going 2 colors up or down, you can't really notice the difference, especially that it would be worn on two hands. Turns out that my E-ring might be whiter than an H and I noticed a disparity between the two colors. The J didn't have a yellow tint but it bothered me that there was a difference in color between the stones as in I wish they were all J color or I wish they were all H colors. Wondered if I made a mistake. Had some moments that it bothered me and even talked to the vendor again about making changes. Months later though, I got used to it and it doesn't bug me anymore. Please give it more time and hopefully the next step will be clear!

As everyone already mentioned though, it's a beautiful ring and congratulations again!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm colour sensitive and although noticeable, I think it still looks lovely! There's something

Colour is very much an artificial construct to make us believe that white is better (yet we then set a price for fancy colour diamonds, particularly pink). I agree with BlingBlingLova - no diamond is 100% perfect. That is a beautiful stone in a stunning setting. Wear it a week or two and you'll find small little details you look at no longer bother you. The buyer's remorse will pass. That's a stunning ring.

Give it some time before you do anything. We did that with an expensive coat - oh, but it's too tight around the shoulders, what about that one, I spent this much... should I have bought the other one. Now it gets lots of wear! It wasn't too tight and fits fashionably well. And That would be my advice.

I don’t want too TOTALLY thread-jack, but what brand was the coat? I’m coat shopping...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll join @pearaffair:

My G color EC in very soft, antique lighting: 4A371EBB-10E7-481D-BBA1-79EE9E49D871.jpeg

The same G EC in my soft, home lighting:

F81EB8A7-E214-418A-A6C9-9AE15AF0A468.jpeg

And the same G EC in natural sunlight at Clearwater Beach, FL:

B8ACCEB3-4F15-4451-AF0A-6CA7EB7F63DC.jpeg
My diamond reflects and picks up colors in the environment!! I have black kitchen appliances. You can imagine what my diamonds look like in the reflection, every time I walk past my oven...lol!! Step Cuts tend to show more body color than brilliant cuts. My EC picks up all colors, not just her own...just like water. ;)2
You’re safe with your oval; she’s very, very white. :mrgreen2:

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don’t want too TOTALLY thread-jack, but what brand was the coat? I’m coat shopping...

Canada Goose. More of a parka than a coat I suppose. Something to travel to Switzerland over Christmas yet flexible enough for the torrid European/UK weather.

Love seeing the photos in this thread... and the yellow tinged D coloured ring on the Macaron ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results