shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice between 3.25ct H VS2 and 3.5ct I VS2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Luia1977

Rough_Rock
Hi
Am new to this site but was wondering if someone could give me advice between buying an engagement ring having either

1) 3.25 carat H VS2

and

2) 3.50 carat I VS2

Prices are very similar and both Excellent cuts with GIA reports.

As am new to this, how big are these stones compared to average engagement rings and can one note the difference between an I and H colour.

I have been told that inclusions are not visible to the naked eye on VS2 but have not checked.
thanks for your help

28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2009 6:36:58 AM
Author:Luia1977
Hi
Am new to this site but was wondering if someone could give me advice between buying an engagement ring having either

1) 3.25 carat H VS2

and

2) 3.50 carat I VS2

As am new to this, how big are these stones compared to average engagement rings and can one note the difference between an I and H colour.

I have been told that inclusions are not visible to the naked eye on VS2 but have not checked.
thanks for your help

28.gif
Hi Luia and welcome!

It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty in case you are new to this, so in order to be able to help you, we need some more information on each diamond if you can get it please. The info we need will be on the GIA report in each case. If you could get the -

depth %
table %
crown angle
pavilion angle
polish and symmetry grades
girdle thickness
diameter measurements
fluorescence if applicable

We will be able to see which diamond is the best cut, or be the best type of diamond for your needs. I take it the diamond is intended for an engagement ring?

As to the difference between H and I colour, these are very large diamonds...I would doubt that the average person would notice a difference with direct comparison if the diamonds were mounted, assuming these are well cut diamonds, a great cut has an additional benefit of minimising any face up warmth, so in my non expert opinion unless you want the icy whiteness of DEF colour, H or I can be a good choice as they will still be plenty white but less expensive.

As to how large these diamonds are in comparison to the average engagement ring, these are far larger than the average, to the best of my knowledge I think the national average in the USA is somewhere around one third of a carat, so the weights you are considering vastly exceed that - I don't know if you have seen these sizes in person but they are very large diamonds! I will post a link for you of one of my favourites here belonging to Kristydarling so you can get an idea. Bear in mind hand and finger size can make a difference to apparent size, a 3.5ct diamond looks smaller on me with large hands proportionally than someone with daintier hands.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/handshots-of-my-custom-ring.35653/

See above for photos of a 3.5 ct solitaire.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These diamonds are HUGE! I don''t know of anyone in real life who wears more than a 2 ct. diamond!

If both were equal in cut (which, as Lorelei pointed out, we need the numbers to determine), I would choose the slightly smaller H color stone.

tdha

Rough_Rock
The H, no matter what the diamond is huge and a very impressive stone. Color is going to be more important in a big stone like that too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If all things are equal, I would definitely go for the smaller H. At 3.25 carats, that is a huge stone and I wouldn''t compromise on color to get a 3.50 stone.

Have you tried on rings with stones that size to see what they would look like on your hand? We in PS land love diamonds of course and generally love big stones too. However, when I tried on a 3.00 stone at Tiffany''s, it looked too over the top for me. Never thought I would think or say that but it did. Just not a look I loved or would be comfortable with but if you love it, go for it!

I second Lorelei on getting the stats though so we can take a better look at cut parameters on the stones.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the H! That is, can you see them side by side? The H could be a high H or a low H... And the I could be high I or a low I. So I''d try to use that to determine the value and make my decision.

You''re going to see a LOT more color in a larger stone. Even a G in a 3 carat is visible to me (maybe I''m color sensitive), where as a J in a 1 carat or smaller could look really white assuming both are cut well. If you don''t mind the warmth, then go for the I! It''s larger and the bursts of fire will be dynamite! But if you''re color sensitive, I would go for the slightly smaller H. Either way, you''ve got some really nice choices!!!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi

1) 3.25 carat H VS2

and

2) 3.50 carat I VS2

thanks for your help

28.gif
Surely you must know that they''re huge compared to average engagement rings.

No, I wouldn''t think the difference between H and I was perceptible to 99% of the population.

You should be advised (per a pricescope article- I don''t have the link, sorry) that VS2 is not necessary eye clean. I think the article said that 1 in 100 people can see inclusions in VS2. The article said if this bothers you, get VS1. Of course, a more practical idea is just to find out whether the VS2 is eye clean, or not.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi

1) 3.25 carat H VS2

and

2) 3.50 carat I VS2

thanks for your help

28.gif
All things equal, it depends on how colour-sensitive you are. Again it depends (where are the inclusions, etc.?).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, it would depend on the cut. I don't trust GIA's excellent cut. Please provide all the information on the cert so that we may advise accordingly:
1. Depth
2. Table
3. Crown angle
4. Pavilon angle
5. Culet
6. Girdle
7. Polish & Symmetry

An H and I are next to each other in the colour grade and it'll be very difficult to tell them apart when set in the ring.

Ayers

Rough_Rock
Also is there any fluorescence? Are the polish/symmetry excellent (or matched)? Judging from the posted photos, any 3+ ct diamond is plenty big :) But I''m a guy...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''d look more into the cut to decide. GIA excellent cuts are NOT all equal. Get all the specs that Chrono posted first, because if you''re gonna spend that kind of money on a rock, why not get THE best cut possible? Other than that, I color would be fine with me, but I do know color shows up more in larger stones, and over three carats is alreasy going to be HUGE!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

1) 3.25 carat H VS2

and

2) 3.50 carat I VS2

thanks for your help

28.gif
For me it is very important that the diamond presents as very white.

But in saying that, as Ive grown older, Im increasingly attracted to bigger stones and I look for the good in them and enjoy them even if I see a bit of warmth.

eg. my Mums 3 carat princess sometimes displays some warmth but it is still beautiful and white enough to get heaps of compliments and stares. However my Mum has the european olive skin.....everything looks white on her!!!!

Lately I saw a very old lady getting her nails done. She was wearing a huge rb diamond ring with lots of warmth. There was no mistaking that it was a tinted diamond. However, it was so sparkely and huge (maybe 6 carats)...and it was set in a very elegant yellow gold simple setting.....and maybe the lady just looked very pressious and so well put together....well, I just couldnt stop admiring!!!!

So I say go for the bigger one, and if you dont like it then go for the smaller one. Best would be to see them side by side.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2009 6:52:08 AM
Author: Lorelei

Hi

1) 3.25 carat H VS2

and

2) 3.50 carat I VS2

thanks for your help

28.gif
Hi Luia and welcome!

It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty in case you are new to this, so in order to be able to help you, we need some more information on each diamond if you can get it please. The info we need will be on the GIA report in each case. If you could get the -

depth %
table %
crown angle
pavilion angle
polish and symmetry grades
girdle thickness
diameter measurements
fluorescence if applicable

We will be able to see which diamond is the best cut, or be the best type of diamond for your needs. I take it the diamond is intended for an engagement ring?

As to the difference between H and I colour, these are very large diamonds...I would doubt that the average person would notice a difference with direct comparison if the diamonds were mounted, assuming these are well cut diamonds, a great cut has an additional benefit of minimising any face up warmth, so in my non expert opinion unless you want the icy whiteness of DEF colour, H or I can be a good choice as they will still be plenty white but less expensive.

As to how large these diamonds are in comparison to the average engagement ring, these are far larger than the average, to the best of my knowledge I think the national average in the USA is somewhere around one third of a carat, so the weights you are considering vastly exceed that - I don''t know if you have seen these sizes in person but they are very large diamonds! I will post a link for you of one of my favourites here belonging to Kristydarling so you can get an idea. Bear in mind hand and finger size can make a difference to apparent size, a 3.5ct diamond looks smaller on me with large hands proportionally than someone with daintier hands.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/handshots-of-my-custom-ring.35653/

See above for photos of a 3.5 ct solitaire.
Bump!

Any luck on getting the above info Luia?

Luia1977

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your advice. Was away from teh PC for a couple of days. The H is actually a 3.55ct but VS2 but with strong blue fluotesence and the other is a 3.45ct I VS" with no fluoresence. There is also a 3.12 H colour VS2 with no fluoresence

These are the details I have managed to get on the stones:

1) 3.55 carat H stone - VS2

depth 61.0%
table 60.0%
symmetry: EX
Polish: EX
Girdle: TN-M
Cutlet: V
Fluoresence: SB
Measurements: 9.85-9.91-6.03
certificate: GIA

2) 3.45 carat I stone - VS2
depth 60.2%
table 60.0%
symmetry: EX
Polish: EX
Girdle: don''t knowCutlet: N
Fluoresence: SB
Measurements: 9.78-9.85-5.91

3) 3.12 carat H stone - VS2
depth 63.2%
table 57.0%
symmetry: VG
Polish: VG
Girdle: TN-M
Cutlet: N
Fluoresence: None
Measurements: 9.25-9.30-5.86

thanks again all for your comments and help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really sorry to have to ask you to get more info, but can you get the crown and pavilion angles for these diamonds please? Those are critical to how well a diamond will perform and sparkle, if the GIA reports are relatively recent then they should be noted there.

The last diamond is a bit deeper than I prefer, the first two have larger tables which is not grounds for rejecting them as some like the larger tabled look, but the angles are crucial so if you can get them I will be able to get a much better idea.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luia,
We still need 2 more EXTREMELY important information:
1. Crown angle
2. Pavilion angle

Without these 2 measurements, we cannot use the HCA calculator.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If Luia can provide grading report numbers you can use GIA Report Check for many details, as long as the reports are recent.
Easier than a numbers-chase for Luia maybe?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 10:57:44 AM
Author: John Pollard
If Luia can provide grading report numbers you can use GIA Report Check for many details, as long as the reports are recent.
Easier than a numbers-chase for Luia maybe?
Good thinking Sir!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 10:45:39 AM
Author: Lorelei
I am really sorry to have to ask you to get more info, but can you get the crown and pavilion angles for these diamonds please? Those are critical to how well a diamond will perform and sparkle, if the GIA reports are relatively recent then they should be noted there.

The last diamond is a bit deeper than I prefer, the first two have larger tables which is not grounds for rejecting them as some like the larger tabled look, but the angles are crucial so if you can get them I will be able to get a much better idea.

Just wanted to say DITTO THIS!!

Luia1977

Rough_Rock
Am still trying to get two of these reports,

The only one I have got is for the 3.12 H cut which has GIA report number 17235327

should have the other two in next couple of days.

thanks again

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 2:53:42 PM
Author: Luia1977
Am still trying to get two of these reports,

The only one I have got is for the 3.12 H cut which has GIA report number 17235327

should have the other two in next couple of days.

thanks again
Hi luia,

Thanks for the info. I looked up the proportions of that diamond and I would recommend passing on that one, it is what we call a steep deep and has some extra depth, this diamond is not likely to be the best performer and would probably leak light as a result of the angles.

Luia1977

Rough_Rock
ok thanks for the help. I will try and get the other 2 reports asap.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 7:04:17 AM
ok thanks for the help. I will try and get the other 2 reports asap.
Most welcome!

Luia1977

Rough_Rock
OK...managed to get the two report numbers.

1) H VS2 3.55 carat is GIA 17259091

and

2) I VS2 3.45 carat is GIA 2101538881

thanks again

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 10:22:31 AM
OK...managed to get the two report numbers.

1) H VS2 3.55 carat is GIA 17259091

and

2) I VS2 3.45 carat is GIA 2101538881

thanks again
Thanks luia,

Ok I had a look and unfortunately neither of these are of top cut quality, the first appears to be worse than the second one. Have you seen these diamonds in person or are they online? If you could give us an idea of budget for the diamond, maybe we could help you find a diamond of the size and quality you want with a great cut? You don''t necessarily have to go for the ultimate cut when buying a diamond, but you do want the cut of your diamond to be good as that is what will give it beauty. We would be very glad to help in this way if you would like us to!

Luia1977

Rough_Rock
OK that is very interesting.

Does it mean that both these stones are visually not very appelaing to the eye?

I have not actually seen them in person yet.

I intend on spending up to USD45k (but more like 42k) and am not interested in going lower than an I cut or VS2.

What size of stone do you think I can achieve. Bear in mind it doesnt need to be the utmost supreme cut.

thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 10:46:28 AM
OK that is very interesting.

Does it mean that both these stones are visually not very appelaing to the eye?

I have not actually seen them in person yet.

I intend on spending up to USD45k (but more like 42k) and am not interested in going lower than an I cut or VS2.

What size of stone do you think I can achieve. Bear in mind it doesnt need to be the utmost supreme cut.

thanks
Going by the proportions and the results on the cut advisor, it would appear from this that neither of these diamonds will be the most attractive or sparkly diamonds. It is hard to say for certain without images of the diamonds, but the odds are that they will not be spectacular performers.

Luia1977

Rough_Rock
sorry to disturb you Lorelei but just a final query on this stone with GIA report 2105533947 and 3.58 carat

thanks so much for your help

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 10:59:50 AM
sorry to disturb you Lorelei but just a final query on this stone with GIA report 2105533947 and 3.58 carat

thanks so much for your help
You are not disturbing me at all Luia! I will have a look for you and if this one doesn't check out I will have a look to see what else is out there which might suit you shortly.

Yes, this one has potential!! Is it an online diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results