shape
carat
color
clarity

About to purchase WF ACA studs...need some input :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would choose the middle pair. Not sure the largest pair is worth the extra 1k and the inclusions in one of those stones is a bit off putting. I haven't studied them in depth - this was just from a quick perusal. Guess you would have to decide how much your final budget is and how large you feel you need to go. The difference in size in the last two pairs does not seem significant.

Would it be worth having them shipped to you loose before you set them just so you could see and play with them?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would choose the middle pair. Not sure the largest pair is worth the extra 1k and the inclusions in one of those stones is a bit off putting. I haven't studied them in depth - this was just from a quick perusal. Guess you would have to decide how much your final budget is and how large you feel you need to go. The difference in size in the last two pairs does not seem significant.

Would it be worth having them shipped to you loose before you set them just so you could see and play with them?

Agree w/ MGR on her pick. Let me page @diamondseeker2006 as well!

Do you think I colored studs will be white enough for you?

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I hope so bc I don't want to spend any more lol. But I do love the color of the costco stones a lot, and I love the color of my pendant stone and both are GIA triple excellent I color stones...not to say I couldn't go one shade whiter but I do really like I color.
Oh and thanks for asking DS!

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I've been thinking about that....for some reason I always love stones more when they are set...I feel like settings add more depth and beauty to the stones for some reason compared to when they are loose. So I'd b afraid that if I ordered loose that I might not be giving them the best chance by not setting them. I also realized that I don't really like the teeny tiny pinpoint prongs of the 8 prong setting and they are sooo tiny that from viewing distance it looks like the diamonds are just floating on my ears with no metal around them. They look like they are loose just floating on my ears lol...I wonder if i would like them better if I had a more substantial setting. I really like the 6 prong look in the costco stones and think the WF 6 prong setting would be even nicer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking at them now. What size is the diamond in your e-ring, and are you planning on keeping or upgrading diamond size?

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am looking at them now. What size is the diamond in your e-ring, and are you planning on keeping or upgrading diamond size?
Ering is 1.7oec and 7.4mm but its in a halo so it looks larger...i may upgrade lol. I wish I could just see a pair of WF I color ACA around 7mn next to a pair of amazing high color oecs and make up my mind 100%

Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In general, I like these:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?

idnos=3970288,3986350

Mine are just slightly smaller at about 7mm and 1.28 each. I think you'll notice the difference in size from the ones you had, and the higher color will make them slightly brighter, too!

Oh thanks I will check out your thread! How many mm are your studs again? I'm staring at the diamonds and trying to figure out if the whiteness being more will give me what my eyeballs are looking for...also wondering if possibly the glowy look I like is partially due to higher crown...i notice I like the crown area in the Costco diamonds and the crown angle us 36%....i wonder if WF has stones with that crown angle...or if it's not the crown angle at all and just the color that I like.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thanks I will check out your thread! How many mm are your studs again? I'm staring at the diamonds and trying to figure out if the whiteness being more will give me what my eyeballs are looking for...also wondering if possibly the glowy look I like is partially due to higher crown...i notice I like the crown area in the Costco diamonds and the crown angle us 36%....i wonder if WF has stones with that crown angle...or if it's not the crown angle at all and just the color that I like.

The crown angle cutoff for WF for their ACA line is 35. A higher crown angle depends on the pavilion angle that it is paired with in terms of performance. I'd think the color is more of a factor for you than the crown angle. What color diamond is in your ering?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

To me, on the ears, great light return and diameter is very important, so I went with ACAs for that reason. Not to mention, the ability to upgrade was important to me. Mine are almost exactly 7mm. Here is one of my stones.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3833740.htm

I definitely would consider making some kind of drop earrings with smaller OECs or rose cuts, though. Matching 7mm OECs for earrings would be almost impossible for me, personally (because I'd want stones very well matched in measurements and facet pattern), plus I just don't think they are the best cut to show up on the ears. I do love them, but I just like my ACAs best for classic studs. I'd probably love AVR studs, but it is rare to find a matched pair of those, too. I do understand the dilemma!

I think 7mm would be a good size with your ring stone being 7.4mm.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I almost want to see an H and an I together to be sure which I like best. I love a bit of warmth in my oecs ..GIA J or K is dreamy to me. My e-ring would cert a K or L but with a halo of white diamonds, I love warmth in oec stones...BUT I am a little wierd bc in RBs, I like whiter....at least I color it seems and I may even prefer H bc my uncerted rbs in my favorite little rb earrings and pendants ( most of them r sold) are even 1-2 shades whiter than my certed I color stones.

Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks what are the inclusions in one of the larger pair that you mentioned? I can't seem to see things very well in those macro pics sometimes. LOL

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am looking at both H and I now...after everyone's great questions I'm realizing I may want to try H color as well...maybe I'll order one of each color and view them loose? Any thoughts?

In H color there aren't many pair options that don't go above budget of about 11k each stone There are 2 H color VS options but neither have a pair, I could wait for a match for one of these:

1.305 7.06-7.09 mm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3980394.htm
1.337 7.11-7.14mm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3965453.htm

There are 3 matching options that are H SI1...any thoughts on these or on SI1 in general? I love clean clean stones...so I am always unsure of SI. But sometimes they can be great right?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3955174,3955173,3961916

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks what are the inclusions in one of the larger pair that you mentioned? I can't seem to see things very well in those macro pics sometimes. LOL

The 1.41 had a knot listed as an inclusion and when I quickly looked at the stone, it seemed like something that could be visible to the naked eye. It might, however, be a whiter inclusion that would be fine but something I would definitely ask about before ordering.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The 1.41 had a knot listed as an inclusion and when I quickly looked at the stone, it seemed like something that could be visible to the naked eye. It might, however, be a whiter inclusion that would be fine but something I would definitely ask about before ordering.
I will ask about that for sure...

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is one more pretty video of the WF earrings that I sent back...They look amazing in the video :) If they always looked that white I would LOVE them lol. But my house with the wall colors makes diamonds warm up a bit I think.
I am trying to view an I color and H color loose stone side by side to decide which color to go with.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have any thoughts on Victor Canera super ideal rounds?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stick with WF for the selection they have. You never know if you'll want to upgrade in some way, even color and not size. Keep your focus where it is, because they always have the best selection for choosing studs.

They have a ton of options in the 1.38-1.40 ct range in I VS.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stick with WF for the selection they have. You never know if you'll want to upgrade in some way, even color and not size. Keep your focus where it is, because they always have the best selection for choosing studs.

They have a ton of options in the 1.38-1.40 ct range in I VS.

Will do, thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I missed this question. I cannot do J color in a modern round, but I can do I color. My AVR is I color. My studs are H color, but that is partly because I might give each granddaughter one for an e-ring one day, and I just thought it would be nice to do H. I could have gone to 1.4 each the last time I upgraded if I had changed to I color, but I am already wearing the largest studs of anyone in my close circle at 1.28 each, so I just didn't do it. I have seen m-2-b's studs on her ears and in my hands, and I honestly think they look great.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I missed this question. I cannot do J color in a modern round, but I can do I color. My AVR is I color. My studs are H color, but that is partly because I might give each granddaughter one for an e-ring one day, and I just thought it would be nice to do H. I could have gone to 1.4 each the last time I upgraded if I had changed to I color, but I am already wearing the largest studs of anyone in my close circle at 1.28 each, so I just didn't do it. I have seen m-2-b's studs on her ears and in my hands, and I honestly think they look great.

Hi DS...I am not sure if I color will be white enough either...but I hope so!!! Most of my oecs are warm and range from J,K to L (only one I color lol) and I adore them all.. but for some reason in stud earrings I just LOVE bright white stones against my face. The Costco stones that are I color are beautiful and that color may be enough coupled with WF ACA cut...but not sure if I need to go with H to get that pop of white I love to see on my ears....My idea was to see an H and I color together loose and then decide from there which pair to go with. I have picked these 2 stones to view bc I will be able to see what color I like and also the size options...I'll be able to see if the small size increase really makes a difference to me (the I color stone is the 1.4 that hits about 7.2mm, the H is the 7.11x7.14) I wish there was a White Flash in Southern CA!

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3965453.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4015034.htm

If I go with H color then I'll need to be patient because there isn't a match for the 1.3 and I can't go up in size and stay within budget. The 1.4 VS stones are over budget for me... Becca emailed me a possible match with the H stone above and an H sI1 (only one of hte H sI1s is even I clean in that size) but that diameter difference seems way too much for my eyeballs...what do you all think? I'm pretty sure I would see that and be bugged:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3961916,3965453

And if I go with I color and decide I like the 7.2mm size then there is no match bc the one has a knot that MGR brought to my attention and that won't work for me...so I may have to be patient and wait either way :)

Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MGR, the knot was something that they never mentioned to me, but when I asked about it, it is a white knot right at the surface and I would not be okay with that. Honestly I bet my eyeballs could see it lol Thank you for mentioning that!!!

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR, the knot was something that they never mentioned to me, but when I asked about it, it is a white knot right at the surface and I would not be okay with that. Honestly I bet my eyeballs could see it lol Thank you for mentioning that!!!

I wish I was the person that could go with a little 'goo' in a stone and not worry about it but I am not that person. Twelve other people might be fine with it but thought I'd mention it just in case it would bother you. However, a white inclusion is certainly better than a black one! However, in earrings I might be able to be a bit more lax.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish I was the person that could go with a little 'goo' in a stone and not worry about it but I am not that person. Twelve other people might be fine with it but thought I'd mention it just in case it would bother you. However, a white inclusion is certainly better than a black one! However, in earrings I might be able to be a bit more lax.
I really appreciate you mentioning it. I want these to be perfect especially with the amount of cash I am dropping on them. these are definitely not stones I want to compromise on lol..... I wish I was the person who couldn't see everything in stones lol. It is a lot more expensive that way. My sisters will look at me like I'm nuts if I point out something in a diamond that bugs me. lol. They think I'm crazy, they are lucky because they can LOVE stones on a much better budget! My MIL has a foggy I clarity diamond with not so great cut from the nearest local jeweler, and she is over the moon about it, it is just perfect to her and she has no desire for anything different (she has funds to upgrade to her hearts content, but she is totally happy)....sometimes I wish I could do that lol

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really appreciate you mentioning it. I want these to be perfect especially with the amount of cash I am dropping on them. these are definitely not stones I want to compromise on lol..... I wish I was the person who couldn't see everything in stones lol. It is a lot more expensive that way. My sisters will look at me like I'm nuts if I point out something in a diamond that bugs me. lol. They think I'm crazy, they are lucky because they can LOVE stones on a much better budget!

Sadly, I can see the flaws before I see the beauty. I see that as being more of a curse than anything but something I've learned to accept about myself.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I am like MGR as to wanting stones to be mindclean! My sisters are the same as yours. I am sure they have no idea of the color or clarity of their diamonds! And they'd likely flip out if they had any idea how much I've spent on diamonds! :lol:

I will say that I agree that I can handle more color in antique stones than modern. But I also think if you're wearing these studs with your OECs, I wouldn't want stark white studs and then below low color stones on my hands. That's why I think I color is a good compromise for you.

Do have them line up the I color stones you are considering on a white background and have them choose the highest I color stones. They have done that for me. The time before my last upgrade I did have an I color pair as a possibility, but one stone was visibly lower in color than it's match, so I eliminated them.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sadly, I can see the flaws before I see the beauty. I see that as being more of a curse than anything but something I've learned to accept about myself.
I know what you mean! I do think it enables us to see and savor all the details of beauty though!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results