shape
carat
color
clarity

About to purchase WF ACA studs...need some input :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, you picked a perfect pair. Real bang for the buck. I think you're going to love them! :appl:

Looking forward to pics! :love:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone!!! I'm super excited :)

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alrighty I really need some input to help decide before I pull the trigger.

I was set on the new VS stone instead of the SI1 but Becca from WF just emailed saying it's not as good in her opinion...Becca looked at the new VS stone and in her opinion, it sounds like it may not be any better than the original SI1 regarding clarity... I'll paste what she said below. Based on the videos for the diamonds in their links, I personally thought the new 1.151ct J VS stone was cleaner looking than the 1.163 J SI1 regarding clarity, but Becca said it isn't hmmmm...any thoughts on that? I also thought the 1.151 table percentage and other measurements were a better match for the 1.154 that is the keeper, but she seems to think the SI1 stone is better option.

Here is what she said (pasted below) and a link to see all the diamonds I also uploaded a screen shot of all 3 candidates' measurements etc right next to each other:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3956072,3737622,3986339

"The SI1 and the new VS diamond you added both have inclusions in the table, The VS2 is a combo white/dark inclusion while the SI1 is just a white inclusion. I wasn’t able to see either without magnification, even from as close as 6 inches. Both perform exactly the same and are the same color, so you can’t go wrong either way. I snapped a couple images on my hand for you and did a quick video. The 1.163ct J SI1 is on the left (closest to palm), the 1.151ct J VS2 in the middle and the 1.154ct J VS2 is on the right."

For reference in the photos:The 1.163ct J SI1 is on the left (closest to palm), the 1.151ct J VS2 in the middle and the 1.154ct J VS2 is on the right."..the 1.154ct is the one keeper and the 1.151 and 1.163 are the 2 being decided on:

1.163ct J SI1_1.151ct J VS2_1.154ct J VS2_2.jpg
1.163ct J SI1_1.151ct J VS2_1.154ct J VS2_1.jpg 20180716_130226.png

Here are links for all 3 stones individually:

$6141 1.154ct 6.72x6.75 J VS2 55.9% table
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3986339.htm

$6129 1.163 J SI1 6.73x6.74mm 56.8% table
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3956072.htm

$6488 1.151 J VS2 6.73x6.76mm table 56.1%

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3737622.htm

Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awesome, these are a great size and the size I had before my current ones! I'd go with the two J VS2 stones. Tables are close, lower girdle facets close. diameters close, color/clarity the same.

DS I'd love your help and opinion on the last post with Becca's input regarding the stones (she has a different opinion). I don't want to miss anything!

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 1.34.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 1.36.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 1.34.01 PM.png PS I am also worried that I might see the inclusion in the SI1 stone which is why I had chosen the 1.151 VS stone..the video of the SI1 looks a lot less clear than the macro video of the 1.151...but Becca seems to think it isn't as clean an has a dark spot on the table whereas the SI1 only has a white spot (her wuote is in my last post) ..I'd love input on this....I really wish I could get a good clear pic of the stones where I can see the facets and inclusions get an idea of what my eyeballs would see..I asked her for one and will post if I get it. My phone can zoom in to see facets but the pics she has set have been really grainy...hopefully there is a clear one she can take..

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
normally for earrings I'd say "eh, no one will see an inclusion on your ears", but since these are <1ct ACAs (and $$$) I'd personally hold out for a similar sized eye-clean J to become available.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just got off the phone with Becca and decided to go with the 1.151 J VS stone and the 1.154 J VS...they are totally eyeclean from what she said and they should be fantastic...very excited...I'm going to see if I can delete the previous posts since I got it all figured out now :)

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!! These are going to be an incredible pair!!!

So excited for you!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, sorry I am just now seeing this. I would still choose the two VS2's as well, assuming they are both eyeclean, which she confirmed. I am really excited for you! This is a great size!

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes both eye clean and great stones! Very excited...now I just have to wait till august 2cnd when they will be done! I'm doing the simple 8 prong martini bc it's the only style that works for my tiny ear lobes lol. Thanks for all the help and input everyone!

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hoping they are white enough bc I love the 6.7mm size! If I go up in color to I stones it's not a huge price difference ($500 more for the pair of I VS stones that i found) but that would get me 6.5mm stones and I love the 6.7mm size...there actually weren't even stones available in I VS that measured 6.7mm, the closest were 6.6mm and the price jump would be about 2k. Definitely hoping this pair is "the one"...lol well, at least "the one" for now bc we know that story goes around here :)

Last edited:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Hoping they are white enough bc I love the 6.7mm size! If I go up in color to I stones it's not a huge price difference ($500 more for the pair of I VS stones that i found) but that would get me 6.5mm stones and I love the 6.7mm size...there actually weren't even stones available in I VS that measured 6.7mm, the closest were 6.6mm and the price jump would be about 2k. Definitely hoping this pair is "the one"...lol well, at least "the one" for now bc we know that story goes around here :)

Gosh- 6.7mm is HUGE I am so excited for you!!! These are going to be amazeballs!!!

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gosh- 6.7mm is HUGE I am so excited for you!!! These are going to be amazeballs!!!
I got super lucky to find that size in 2 stones! I'm so excited :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So did your earrings arrive? Can't wait to see them!

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I just got them yesterday! They are beautiful, I have not had time to take videos and pics but I will definitely make a new thread with all that and post it here when I have time. Hopefully this weekend!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all the posters here, this was a helpful thread to read. Discovered it after I ordered my new studs but that's the way it goes.

REALLY looking forward to seeing your photos @goldenfire

ETA: What's the importance of the lower girdle percentage? @diamondseeker2006

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all the posters here, this was a helpful thread to read. Discovered it after I ordered my new studs but that's the way it goes.

REALLY looking forward to seeing your photos @goldenfire

ETA: What's the importance of the lower girdle percentage? @diamondseeker2006

When you look down at the stone, the LGF is relating to how wide the arrows are. I wouldn't pair a 75 (wider arrows) with an 80 (skinny arrows). But the smaller the stones, the less it matters. Most ACAs are going to be 76-78, which is pretty much okay toegther unless you are getting a pair of 2 ct stones or something! In an old cut style like my AVRs, the LGFs are in the 60s...wider facets.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you look down at the stone, the LGF is relating to how wide the arrows are. I wouldn't pair a 75 (wider arrows) with an 80 (skinny arrows). But the smaller the stones, the less it matters. Most ACAs are going to be 76-78, which is pretty much okay toegther unless you are getting a pair of 2 ct stones or something! In an old cut style like my AVRs, the LGFs are in the 60s...wider facets.

THANKS that's a perfect explanation!! Very helpful :D

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Quick question...are my stones more spready than is normal for 1.15cts each measuring at 6.7mm?

I just took a bunch of pics and video and will upload soon...I am trying to figure out what I don't like about these stones so that I can figure out where I need to go from here. While the cut is impeccable and so beyond perfect, there is less brilliance and fire and a slightly muted and shallow look in these 6.7mm stones as opposed to my other ideal (triple excellent but not not super ideal) stones...I know I prefer I color over J but I adore J stones in oecs, and have had a pair of Brian Gavid ideal cut studs and loved them..(though I prefer whiter) and I wouldn't mind the color in these stones if they had the sparkle and fire that even my 2ctw Costco stones, 6mm rb pendant and 5mm studs have...they are just missing something and everyone I show irl can see it when i put them side by side with other stones...it's hard to show on camera bc the WF stones photograph so perfectly with their amazing cut. they look good on camera from every angle! And I will upload some videos and lots of pics soon!

I have been trying to compare the certs of my other triple excellent diamonds that I like to figure out if I can find anything there to show me what my eyeballs prefer (I will upload certs so you all can help me lol)

All I know is that they have shallower look and more of a monotone look like shallower stone, and the fire and sparkle is less brilliant than my other ideal stones, even my husband can see how they are "lacking in the sparkle" and he preferred the other stones as do I. David Klass told me that even aside from the percentages, the cut the clarity etc, that there is "life in the stone" and that all diamonds have their own life and are different... so maybe it is that....i don't know...all I know is these are missing something for me and I want to figure out what lol. My first thought is that they are on the shallow side maybe?

Here is a video...but just a warning you can't see any of the issues in the below video lol...the stones are amazing performers in that lighting and on video lol. the cut is just exquisite..I can only see the issues irl and I did get a few pics that "might" show what I'm seeing, but not much
Costco 6 prong studs on top triple excellent I VS2 (about 6.4mm) and WF J VS2 6.7mm studs

Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay here is a video where you can maybe see the mutedness...when I'm outside or near sunlight, you cant see it much at all because it reflects light sooo well (though I can still see it), but indoors when the sun goes down I can see it well.. and this video shows what I am talking about or what I see a little. The Costco triple excellent GIA I VS2 stud is the 6 prong stud (bottom) and the WF stud is the 8 prong (top)...you can see the slight dullness of the WF stone and how the Costco stone has more brilliance and just fire and sparkle...The Costco stone isn't as good of a cut, so that's not the issue and the Costco stone is a bit too deep, but regardless of those issues the sparkle of the WF stone is lacking in comparison. I find the same thing when I compare the WF stones to my 6mm .80 carat triple excellent diamond as well as my 5mm ideal diamonds...I am leaning towards this either being due to these stones being more shallow than usual? (not sure, but they have that look), or maybe the stones just are lacking life like David Klass talks about idk

This video doesn't show anything other than how pretty they all are lol:

Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is the only other 1.15ct stone I could find in WF inventory right now....diameter is

6.69x6.71x4.13 mm

here is the link:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4011143.htm

I found 2 Brian Gavin Signature stones in 1.15 and they measure:

6.71 X 6.74 X 4.13
6.71 X 6.72 X 4.13

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.151-g-vs1-round-diamond-bkags-104099574004

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.152-g-vs2-round-diamond-bkags-104099574006

My stones are these 2: and measure:
6.73x6.76x4.13 mm AND
6.72x6.75x4.16 mm

So are they more spready than the usual 1.15ct stone? Maybe a tad and would that amount really make a difference? Perhaps this is why they are missing something to my eyeballs compared to my other ideal cut diamonds..??

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3737622.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3986339.htm

Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GIA cert for My pendant stone that I love...it is neither too deep nor too shallow looking to my eyes and sparkles amazingly, not lacking in anything 20180803_214538.jpg

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GIA Cert for costco stone...it's cut a little deep for a 1ct in my opinion and I can see a little darkness in the stone from that but it is still gorgeous. Despite being a bit too deep the sparkle is fantastic and it has more flash and fire and brilliance than the Wf stones in real life. though the cut ofcourse is not as good as WF stones. 20180803_215343.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think that you like one of the studs better than the other? The crown/pavilion angles might account for that. I think I'm hearing though that you don't prefer either of them so is it possible that it is the color of the stones that is a turn off for you?

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah I think the color is definitely a big factor and yes it's both stones. I definitely prefer at least I color..hopefully I does the trick

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I think the color is definitely a big factor and yes it's both stones. I definitely prefer at least I color..hopefully I does the trick

Were you able to find some new I color stones?

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They have a few options...there is a 7mm pair but only one VS stone...and i havent heard back as to how clean the "eyeclean" SI stone is...i dont want anything thay i can see and my eyes kinda see a lot lol. I'm trying to decide right now what size to do.

Also I've noticed that the sparkle glow look that I like in the Costco stones is on the crown portion....so thanks for suggesting to look into the crown and pavilion angle

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry to hear you aren't real happy with your stones. I have read over your post a couple times, and have a few suggestions before you send them back.

1. Sounds silly maybe, but are the diamonds really clean? One fingerprint and it cuts out some light return/scintillation. (one poster had their earrings sent without being cleaned) So give them a good scrub first.

2. They look like they have great light return. Compared to the Costco stone, which is not ideal cut, and does show some light leakage, which can make the stone have more of a "mix" of light and dark areas. Well cut just looks more light overall because they have better light return.

3. Have you put them on and then looked at them in the mirror to see how they behave? When we hold them in our hands, whether we know it or not, we block some of the light hitting the diamond. They can't "show off" as well in this situation.

4. Different cut diamonds react to different lighting situations. They really do have "personalities". Try going out and about and see if they grow on you. Go in lots of different places you would normally go. Restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Take a compact!

If after all this, you still don't love them, send them back. But at least this way you gave it your best shot. ;))

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear you aren't real happy with your stones. I have read over your post a couple times, and have a few suggestions before you send them back.

1. Sounds silly maybe, but are the diamonds really clean? One fingerprint and it cuts out some light return/scintillation. (one poster had their earrings sent without being cleaned) So give them a good scrub first.

2. They look like they have great light return. Compared to the Costco stone, which is not ideal cut, and does show some light leakage, which can make the stone have more of a "mix" of light and dark areas. Well cut just looks more light overall because they have better light return.

3. Have you put them on and then looked at them in the mirror to see how they behave? When we hold them in our hands, whether we know it or not, we block some of the light hitting the diamond. They can't "show off" as well in this situation.

4. Different cut diamonds react to different lighting situations. They really do have "personalities". Try going out and about and see if they grow on you. Go in lots of different places you would normally go. Restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Take a compact!

If after all this, you still don't love them, send them back. But at least this way you gave it your best shot. ;))

ALL good ideas! Thank you so much for reading over and being so helpful :) I agree the costco stones definitely have light leakage and they have dark pockets too..but I do love the color :) the cut on the WF stones is totally superior and fantastic.

Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, after wearing these ALL day and staring at them and taking them off and comparing them both on my ears and hands and in all lighting lol... I've decided that I would really like to have slightly larger studs and a tad whiter is my preference..unfortunately this takes me up in price like mad and I'm trying to decide what to do. The below links are the pairs I've found. The smallest pair closest to 7mm doesn't have any VS stone pairs, just one VS and one SI1. I am trying to decide what size I ideally would want whether 7.0mm or 7.2mm...and honestly i'm not sure if I want to spend my savings on one pair of earrings bc I could probably get a knockout pair of oec diamonds for much much less. Although, if these studs in ACA's would be the studs to end all studs for me and everything I hoped for then it might just be worth it lol. I am also concurrently hunting for oec stud pairs but nothing has come up yet.
Here are the options smallest to largest:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3970288,3986350
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3925331,3956075
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=4015034,3970291

Attachments

• 20180803_164411.jpg
    20180803_164411.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 54
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results