shape
carat
color
clarity

About $25,000 to spend on a round stone - can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kipp

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I''m looking to spend somewhere between $23 and $27K (max $30 K) on a stone for my soon-to-be fiancee. She wants a round stone, so a round stone she will get. The only thing she really cares about is that it sparkles well and is a decent size, but that doesn''t leave me with a ton to work with I suppose.

From what I''ve read I''m thinking H and VS2 are probably the lower end on color and clarity, but if I get a well cut stone those should be fine. When I look on the price engine, this will put me somewhere in the 2.2 to 2.5 range in terms of carat. There really is almost nothing "In House" that meets these criteria (except for a $31K H&A from GOG), so I think I''m going to need a little advice.

Should I be going up one on color or clarity? If H and VS2 are fine, what else should I be looking at if the diamond isn''t in-house? Should I just shoot for AGS 0 to narrow down? If I use VS2, H, 2.3-2.5, AGS0, I get about 10 hits, but it really only represents 3 diamonds (including the GOG one). Should I drop closer to the 2.2-2.3 range to get an extremely well cut stone that sparkles?

I''m wondering what you folks think I should do. Part of me thinks I should bite the bullet and go for the 2.38 ct. H VS2 from GOG Link, but that''s a lot of money to be spending on a diamond, and I''m not really sure I can justify that expense.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
use the ps search and enter 2.00-2.50 g-i vs1-si2 and select 'cut quality search'. you will get two pages of matches offering a wide selection. keep an eye on the dimensions, it means more than just the carat weight itself.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00483461

I know people are going to start saying it's a little deep, but it's in budget and it's the clarity and color you want.

As belle said, look at the spread, not the carat weight.

You could do well to look for an eye-clean SI1, because it'll be worth it. But bookmark that BN one in case nothing comes up.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I loved the title of your thread. If no one rushes in to help you, I''d be very surprised. The world of diamond sellers are on their way to you right now.

Best of luck with the purchase. Many of us here can help you and will gladly do so.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Try looking for an eye clean SI1. And if you and your soon-to-be fiancee are not color sensitive, I really think you can drop down to a J in color, assuming this is going to be a well-cut stone. I''ve seen Mara and Kristydarling''s Js in person, and they''re super white.

Good luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
cinderella, kristydarling''s center is and H not a J
2.gif

I agree that J''s can be beautiful but with your budget I''d personally prefer to stick to a G-H, but G is my personally sweet spot
1.gif

the larger the stone the tougher it gets to find exactly what you are looking for. If you have a prefered vendor, I''d suggest contacting them to see what they might have coming in.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, with your budget I honestly would not consider going below H VS2! You have a budget that will allow you to get a fine cut, color, clarity, over 2 ct. diamond. I think either stone posted looks great depending on the size and price you want. I was extremely pleased with my experience with Good Old Gold. I bought a 1.63 H VS1 about a month ago. Good luck and please keep us updated as to your decision!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 3:42:11 PM
Author: JulieN
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00483461

I know people are going to start saying it''s a little deep, but it''s in budget and it''s the clarity and color you want.
Well, I have to agree that I am going to say it......it''s a little deep for my preference, which would be fine if there was nothing better available, but there are better choices available.

My absolute top pick.....

2.326 I, VS2 for $21,148 - huge size, absolutely PRIMO numbers on everything (including depth), more diameter, less expensive......total winner.

Other options:

2.00, G, VS2 for $25968

2.023 I, SI2 for $16752

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This 2.05 G/VS2 from GOG for $26,291 will stay under your budget. Excellent numbers and it''s a G/VS2.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2006 4:15:13 PM
Author: aljdewey

Well, I have to agree that I am going to say it.
I thought about you as I typed.
19.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d stick to the budget and not get the GOG H VS2. They have a 2.5 I SI1 (although I''m not sure about that inclusion) and that about 2 carat G VS2 that are in your price range. That''s what a budget is for, and yours seems very generous.

I don''t know, I''d almost recommend visiting GOG or another store. I think that you''ll know the stone when you see it. It can''t all be numbers, and the H thing seems kind of arbitrary (remember that Tiffany''s carries I stones).

But just to play to the devil''s advocate to the advice I just gave
2.gif
, that 2.38 H VS2 is only $30,795 (that''s the price listed on the search engine here -- not sure if that is just the wire price or is a PS discount, as some vendors do), and that is only $795 over what you said was really the top of your budget. So who knows, maybe that''s your stone.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 4:54:22 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
I''d almost recommend visiting GOG or another store...
Best recommendation I heard.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 4:46:08 PM
Author: JulieN

Date: 8/9/2006 4:15:13 PM

Well, I have to agree that I am going to say it.
I thought about you as I typed.
19.gif
I knew you were......but please don''t misunderstand.
1.gif

I''ve been pretty clear that it''s just my preference. I am in no way suggesting that such a diamond is "bad" or will perform poorly. I simply prefer slightly shallower stones.

We all have things we''re fussy about. For some folks, it''s the table size. For others, it''s clarity. For me, I''m fussy about the measurements, including depth.

Of course, like anything else, we make compromises in life. Sometimes, when we can''t find precisely what we want, we choose the least of the evils to compromise on. But, I''m a firm believer that it''s better not to compromise at all unless there is no other option.
36.gif

kipp

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 8:23:33 PM

AH.............I *love* that stone, but I didn''t think he''d stretch to J.
Thank you everyone for your help. The rocks you''ve picked are excellent suggestions. Would a J be okay in a platinum setting? I''m worried that it would look too yellow. That 2.575 H&A is HUGE, and the VS1 is a nice kicker as well, I''m just worried that the color might be too evident. What do you think?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should call around and ask Hearts on Fire dealers for 2 c rounds in J and go see the color with your own eyes. Honestly. Or go to GOG. Reverse that actually. GOG first choice.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 9:36:21 PM
Author: Gypsy
I think you should call around and ask Hearts on Fire dealers for 2 c rounds in J and go see the color with your own eyes. Honestly. Or go to GOG. Reverse that actually. GOG first choice.

ditto. it''s really not accurate to try and judge the color of stones from our computers as everyone''s is different. Color is very personal, some are happy with J''s and others prefer higher color grades. Going to GOG to see some in person is the best option.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
There are many J stones set in platinum or whitegold on PriceScope and they look great! You can call WF and they will honestly tell you if the stone is colorless or not.

kipp

Rough_Rock
Sounds like the general consensus is that before I buy anything I should drive out to Good Old Gold and see some rocks in person. It seems to me like they have a good inventory of I and J stones. I think that''s probably the best idea so I can get a good idea of how low I''m wiling to go on color. Should I call for an appointment or can I just go over there?

I''ll be bringing my girlfriend with me. That may sound crazy, but she''s going to be the one stuck with this very expensive rock for the rest of her life, so I want her to decide if she is willing to go with I or J before I do anything.

Thanks, and I will let you all know how it goes (I''m probably going on Saturday - it''s a good thing I''ll be out on Long Island anyway).

Kipp

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 9:36:22 AM
Author: kipp
Should I call for an appointment or can I just go over there?

I''ll be bringing my girlfriend with me. That may sound crazy, but she''s going to be the one stuck with this very expensive rock for the rest of her life, so I want her to decide if she is willing to go with I or J before I do anything.

Thanks, and I will let you all know how it goes (I''m probably going on Saturday - it''s a good thing I''ll be out on Long Island anyway).

Kipp

definitely make an appointment, especially on a saturday.

I thinks it''s wonderful you''re bringing you gal, you''re one wise man
2.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like the general consensus is that before I buy anything I should drive out to Good Old Gold and see some rocks in person. It seems to me like they have a good inventory of I and J stones. I think that''s probably the best idea so I can get a good idea of how low I''m wiling to go on color. Should I call for an appointment or can I just go over there?

Kipp
1) Great idea going.
2) Absolutely, make an appointment. I have a sneaking feeling someone will make time to see you.
3) My idea...consider leaving the girl at home (I''ll get hit for this). Or take her. But...if you want her input based particularly on color, any local reputable GIA carrying store will have perfectly good diamonds to look at, to show accurate representations of color.
4) Associated with #3...and no one spending any length of time on this site, tautologically speaking, can appreciate this...make looking for a diamond your job, not hers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kipp, just wanted to agree with letting her see the stones! With your budget, I''d rather have a 2 ct. G-H VS over a larger J especially. I might consider an I. But taking her will be the very best, because none of us can know what her preferences would be. Plus looking at settings will be helpful, too.

As mrssalvo said, be sure to call and make an appt. Saturday is probably their busiest day!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2006 9:48:17 AM
Author: Regular Guy

I'll be bringing my girlfriend with me. That may sound crazy, but she's going to be the one stuck with this very expensive rock for the rest of her life, so I want her to decide if she is willing to go with I or J before I do anything.
1) Great idea going.
2) Absolutely, make an appointment. I have a sneaking feeling someone will make time to see you.
3) My idea...consider leaving the girl at home (I'll get hit for this). Or take her. But...if you want her input based particularly on color, any local reputable GIA carrying store will have perfectly good diamonds to look at, to show accurate representations of color.
4) Associated with #3...and no one spending any length of time on this site, tautologically speaking, can appreciate this...make looking for a diamond your job, not hers.
Kipp, I much prefer your idea of bringing her.

For women, looking at diamonds is not a *job*....it's a pleasure.

Ira's right that any reputable vendor will be able to show you accurate representations of color, but there is only ONE person qualified to tell you if SHE will LIKE the color.....and that's her.
2.gif

You're a smart man, Kipp.
36.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that will be just so much fun! I wasn''t sure if you were located near any of PS vendors who have all those great H&A''s, so I think it''s great that you can just up and visit GOG. Let us know what tickles your fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results