shape
carat
color
clarity

got an H that faces up yellow......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scott32

Rough_Rock
got an 2 ct H VS1 off the internet that I had set in a tiffany replica. the setting is awesome, the stone is extremely well cut. just got the stone yesterday....it could be the lighting, but it appears to face up somewhat yellow. more than i would have thought for an H with some FL and extremely well cut. wondering now if I should have gone with an F....I am not comparing it to another diamond, so i thought it would look white...could be the lighting..i have yellow walls in my living room.......i am planning on giving this stone this weekend and i want it to lok perfect........

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely look at the stone in other lighting conditions and away from yellow walls. If you still find that it looks yellow to you, I would go up in color, because you may be color sensitive, which is normal. I would go to a nearby jewelry store to look at stones graded F and H and see if you can see the difference. Do not look at them side by side. That should help you determine how low in color you can go without detecting warmth in the stone.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Step away from the yellow walls!!

In my experience all well cut stones face up white. It''s not til you are looking at it from differnt angles that you''ll start to see the color.

Diamonds do reflect whatever is around them.
On a sunny clear day, it can look blue when outdorrs (reflecting the sky).

Let us know how it looks in different lighting and in other spaces.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Scott... you mentioned you purchased the stone off the internet... what is the certification on the diamond? An H from a respectable lab (GIA, AGS, etc.) may be equivalent to an I, J, or even K grade from a "softer" lab. Otherwise, you may just be one of those color-sensitive people... I''m one of them too!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 7:59:45 PM
Author: ephemery1
An H from a respectable lab (GIA, AGS, etc.) may be equivalent to an I, J, or even K grade from a ''softer'' lab. Otherwise, you may just be one of those color-sensitive people... I''m one of them too!
Not really sure what you mean by this. AGS and GIA are well-repected and tend to be quite accurate with their gradings. An AGS H will not be equivalent to a I, J, K from a softer lab. In fact, softer labs tend to exaggerate their grades. So if they say a diamond is a K, is it probably lower.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s the yellow in the room probably combined with yellow lamp light! I hope you aren''t proposing in your living room! An H is not yellow. Go outside and look at it in the daylight. It shouldn''t look yellow there!

scott32

Rough_Rock
The stone is GIA certified, it is an Isee2 2ct stone. My walls in the living room are a vanilla/yellowish color. My drapes are the same color.....outside it sparkles like crazy, almost blinding me i the sun today. it is a large stone, and from the side it does appear to have a yellow color to it, sometimes from the top as well. I looked at an equiv cut stone in the store, and could not see a dif between an F and an H. However, maybe I should have gome with an E???

are you folks saying that especially in a plat setting, an Isee2 9.8 brilliance all 3 VH should look very white?? I hope so, spent a lot of money on this baby and i want it to look great.........

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will look very white face up. It sounds like a great stone! We just bought a 1.63 H VS1 this week and it was not yellow. It is in my avatar now, but the green is reflecting off of the azalea bushes outside!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scott, any chance you could post a picture? I''d love to see it! I''m considering a Tiffany replica as well. Which one did you choose?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm, sounds like a great stone. How does it look outside. Defintely take it away from yellow walls. This stone should face up very wihite. Can you post some pics for us??

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 9:02:11 PM
Author: jazmine

Date: 7/16/2006 7:59:45 PM
Author: ephemery1
An H from a respectable lab (GIA, AGS, etc.) may be equivalent to an I, J, or even K grade from a 'softer' lab. Otherwise, you may just be one of those color-sensitive people... I'm one of them too!
Not really sure what you mean by this. AGS and GIA are well-repected and tend to be quite accurate with their gradings. An AGS H will not be equivalent to a I, J, K from a softer lab. In fact, softer labs tend to exaggerate their grades. So if they say a diamond is a K, is it probably lower.
Oops! Thanks for catching that Jazmine... I changed my wording before I submitted the post and it definitely came out unclear. It should have read "An H from a "softer" lab may be equivalent to an I, J, or even K grade from a more respectable lab (GIA, AGS, etc.)" Moot point since his diamond was GIA anyway!
1.gif

scott32

Rough_Rock
Left the dig camera at the GFs.....It will have to wait till next weekend. looking at it in m bed now....again yellow walls...not real yellow, but that off white vanilla color........he cut is amazing// will poost pics next week.....

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is the fluoro yellow? (bad) or blue (good).

If it was a radiant or princess it would be more of an issue.

I do not stock below H color for that reason, and above 1.5ct the ony H i will stock is a blue medium to strong blue fluoro. As stones get bigger color can be seen to cost a lot more than clarity for that reason.

But your problem is probably lighting and paint related.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Scott. I have a GIA G Isee2, and it definitely looks yellow in some rooms of my home, but it''s not the wall colors, it''s the lights that give off yellow. Outside, or in whiter light, I don''t see a trace of yellow, so I''d be kind of surprised if one color down is showing that much, but I suppose it''s possible.

Something else to think about, let''s say you really are color sensitive and can see some yellow, that doesn''t mean your girlfriend will. So I wouldn''t get too worried yet.
2.gif

Can''t wait to see your pics! They are stunning stones.

scott32

Rough_Rock
the stone is Med flouresence. I had initially planned on not going below a G, but saw an 8star H that was unbelievable...only was an SI2.

The stone here is an unbelievable cut, an is going on a 5.5 finger, so will look plenty big, just want it to be nice and white....

genette

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to share that I have a H/VS2 stone from GOG and it faces up really white and from the side I don''t see any yellow but its not as icy white either. The only time the stone looks like it is yellow is when the lighting I am in is yellow other than that it is white as can be even in low light it just stands out. I just wanted to share as I have the same color as you. I hope this helps any.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I will chime in here to say, I have a J and it looks kind of tinged in our bathroom which is a yellowy vanilla color, Behr Havana Cream, if anyone is familiar with that color. Anyway, take it into a different room, take it to the grocery store or somewhere where it gets another light source. I doubt the H looks yellow!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
red pill or blue pill?

jojofrankie

Rough_Rock
Is the setting yellow gold? If so, this can definitely give the stone a slightly yellowish tint no matter what quality the stone. A good way to see the color of a stone is to turn it on it''s side and put it in a "V" shaped piece of paper. You can really see the color of the stone using this method. For the record, there is no way that you can visibly see a difference in an E, F, and G stone when facing up. The only way that you can see a color difference with the naked eye is with the aforementioned method. Don''t waste your money on the better color unless you plan on selling it.

scott32

Rough_Rock
Again, the stone is a 2.01 ct Isee2 H VS1, med flouresence. I went with the H as most folks on here said it was impossible to tell the difference between an H and an E once set.....The stone is set in an exceptional Platinum setting. I took it outside today, took it in my car, took it in the grocery store. On first look in these places, it does look white...then when i look at it more closely, the facets seem to reflect a goldish color....When you look at the stone trhough the side. the crown, it does have a yellowish tint to it...

It was graded by GIA, but i may take it to another GIA gemologist to have it reappraised..perhaps it is just me...perhaps i am just too nervous...we will see soon, as her sister has a well cut 1.8 D....i am sure they will compare it. THis stone i have is super tight........Her sisters is not....do not get me wrong, the stone looks exceptional. A few of the girls i work with saw it when it was delivered, held it next to their own, and it blew them away. I a just wondering if an F would have been better, as this is the color i was initialy going to go with. Thanks....i will post a pic as soon as i get the cam this weekend at the GFs....

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
scott, you still haven't answered Garry's question. does it have yellow or blue fluor? if it's yellow, that is bad and will make your stone look yellow. Blue can be very good and actually can help a stone look whiter? which type of fluor. does your stone have?

scott32

Rough_Rock
It is with blue flouresence. med flouresence.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
right. the color of the fluorescence will make a difference.

scott32

Rough_Rock
I am going to NYC this weekend....I plan on going into Tiffany''s, looking at some rings, and pulling out my ring..perhaps i will tell them it is my sister''s, and want a ring that looks like it....I almost bought a 1.8 I 2ct stone there....It loked very white...I went with the Isee 2 to save some cash, about 6 grand, and to get a higher color level. I just hope it did not backfire on me.......

scott32

Rough_Rock
i also thought that going with an isee2 i would get a much better cut stone....

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm..well I happen to LOVE blue fluor and am surprised you are seeing any "yellow." Tiffany''s has incredible lighting so I''m sure your stone will easily measure up to anything they can show you
2.gif
. Perhaps you are one who is just really sensitive to color and even the H is bothersome?? I would love to see pictures of this stone, it really sounds lovely.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
does it say ''medium blue'' on the report?

when you go to tiff''s you don''t have to make up a story about why you already have a ring. just tell them the truth, that you want to compare.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, unless all Tiffany stores are totally different, I can tell you that it will be a wasted trip! I went there to try to determine the color I wanted, and with their lighting, and E and an I looked the same. The only thing that helped me was to see the size of the stones. I can guarantee you that if you are doubting this H, you surely wouldn't have been happy with an I color stone from Tiffany. And I am sure you probably got a better cut stone.

I am puzzled because I just had two H diamonds at my home last week, one an Isee2 by the way, and they did not look yellow even when I put them face down on a white index card. In lamp light in the evening, they looked more tinted and firey, but in flourescent and daylight, they looked very white. Your med blue flourescence should help, I would think.

Now if she is going to be holding her stone right next to her sister's ring, then it probably won't look as white as a D. So if it has to hold up to that comparison, you should have stuck with an E.
2.gif

Did you get the SuperbCert Tiffany setting or the MM sunburst? I am considering those as well. (You could just send me your ring if you decide you don't want it.
2.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results