shape
carat
color
clarity

got an H that faces up yellow......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

genette

Shiny_Rock
It doesn''t sound like your satisfied with the stone. Is it possible to exchange it or return it?

genette

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention in previous post....instead of giving it to her this weekend can you get another stone? One that would be of your expectations

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
when you say yellow - do you mean golden, yellow, or the color of vanilla ice cream (ecru)?

i think he is not liking the "off white"/eggshell color of an H stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also it is possible you are one of those colour sensitive souls who truly need a D E or F to be happy and for it to be 'mindclean.' If this is really bothering you and you have listened to the previous advice, checked it in different lighting and still are not happy, I would advise you to consider exchanging it. This diamond is too important and too costly for you to feel it is lacking in any way, IMHO. To most people an H is plenty white, but it is a near colourless, so I would have thought even in an H with med blue flourescence the very slight tint wouldn't be an issue and would be barely discernable with a GIA cert, in your case it just might be....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 10:40:39 PM
Author: scott32
i also thought that going with an isee2 i would get a much better cut stone....
You did get a well cut stone, don''t doubt that.

Are you seeing the color of an H? not sure. But don''t doubt the cut.

Remember, diamonds are always picking up reflections from their surroundings. I''m posting a pic of my diamomd outside. I was sitting completely in the sun, but my patio tables umbrella was in front of me a few feet. The diamond still managed to pick up color from it.

NewRing 0592.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ELLEN,

I love your ring
30.gif
are there pictures and details of the stone and setting somewhere around here??

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 9:47:01 AM
Author: mrssalvo
ELLEN,

I love your ring
30.gif
Aw, thank you!
1.gif

No, I haven''t done a thread on it yet for a couple reasons. My monitor is going out, so I want to wait for the new one to know what all my pics truly look like, and I still need to learn how to zoom in and crop. So, as soon as I get everything learned and bought, I promise I''ll post.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 10:34:39 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 7/19/2006 9:47:01 AM

Author: mrssalvo

ELLEN,

I love your ring
30.gif

Aw, thank you!
1.gif

No, I haven't done a thread on it yet for a couple reasons. My monitor is going out, so I want to wait for the new one to know what all my pics truly look like, and I still need to learn how to zoom in and crop. So, as soon as I get everything learned and bought, I promise I'll post.
2.gif

ok, can you give us a little hint? ..i do see you said the stone is a G? what setting did you get? is is a designer or custom? (mrssalvo...desperate to find a setting
41.gif
)

can't wait for your thread woman...your ring is seriously amazing.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh shoot, late 4 work, but 1.40 G Isee2. WG D''Vatche X-Prong.

And thank you again, mine seems so plain compared to all the lovlies on here, it''s funny to hear someone appreciate it like I do!

Gotta run or get fired!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 10:46:16 AM
Author: Ellen
Oh shoot, late 4 work, but 1.40 G Isee2. WG D''Vatche X-Prong.

And thank you again, mine seems so plain compared to all the lovlies on here, it''s funny to hear someone appreciate it like I do!

Gotta run or get fired!

hehe, we''ll dont'' get fired..it really looks so perfect on you. just when I get close to deciding I''ll see a classic beauty like yours and i start second guessing myself
40.gif

it really is fabulous and I surely wouldn''t call it plain
2.gif

scott32

Rough_Rock
Ok.
The stone def has a yellow tinge to it. Especially from the side. I am a niave buyer. I listened to many off of this site who informed me that an H well cut with med flouresence would face up VERY white. Well, this 2 ct Isee2 stone 9.8, with 3 VH brilliancescope, and med blue flouresence faces up with a faint yellow tinge. It is a large stone, so from the side the yellow is VERY noticible to me. cost was roughly 25000 for the stone alone....now, for the worst part.....It is set in a Mark Morrell platinum setting. THe setting is spectacular. however, I am now at a loss for words. This piece took SOOO long to get togehter, about 6 weeks...and I DO NOT like it at all......I would have had no problem spending more money, or going with a smaller stone for a white diamond....This is to be the weekend...it too took lots of planning.......
SO, I can onl say to others....Be very careful purchasing a larger H color stone. If you are in your 40-50''s, wear reading glasses, perhaps it faces up white. The only other thing I am doig is taking it too a gemologist to make sure it is the same stone i purchases. It looks like a J to me. It came from a VERY respectable internet jeweler, talked about LOTS on this site, and was sent directly to Jeweler, then directly to me......I doubt this is the case..............

guess we will ahve to see if that vendor still offers the trade in value for the ten year......

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 12:14:53 AM
Ok.

The stone def has a yellow tinge to it. Especially from the side. I am a niave buyer. I listened to many off of this site who informed me that an H well cut with med flouresence would face up VERY white. Well, this 2 ct Isee2 stone 9.8, with 3 VH brilliancescope, and med blue flouresence faces up with a faint yellow tinge. It is a large stone, so from the side the yellow is VERY noticible to me. cost was roughly 25000 for the stone alone....now, for the worst part.....It is set in a Mark Morrell platinum setting. THe setting is spectacular. however, I am now at a loss for words. This piece took SOOO long to get togehter, about 6 weeks...and I DO NOT like it at all......I would have had no problem spending more money, or going with a smaller stone for a white diamond....This is to be the weekend...it too took lots of planning.......

SO, I can onl say to others....Be very careful purchasing a larger H color stone. If you are in your 40-50''s, wear reading glasses, perhaps it faces up white. The only other thing I am doig is taking it too a gemologist to make sure it is the same stone i purchases. It looks like a J to me. It came from a VERY respectable internet jeweler, talked about LOTS on this site, and was sent directly to Jeweler, then directly to me......I doubt this is the case..............

guess we will ahve to see if that vendor still offers the trade in value for the ten year......

I''m sorry to hear you''re disappointed with the stone. Especially since it''s now in a beautiful setting custom made to the specs of that stone. Did you see the diamond prior to having it sent to Mark Morrell for setting? Did you see other H color stones in that size range? It seems very unlikely that the stone was switched. It just sounds like you are very color sensitive and perhaps this stone is closer to an I than to an H. Is there any way you can present the ring to her as planned and see whether she sees any color in it? If so, or if it continues to bother you, what about finding a higher color stone with a similar diameter so that you can salvage the setting? Can you post pics of the ring? Good luck and keep us posted!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scott, if you are that unhappy with the stone, you should certainly return it and get an E or maybe F 1.7 or so. Mark Morrell surely can rework the head. Many of the people on this forum have I and J color 2 ct. stones, so it seemed safe for people to recommend H. And some of them are certainly around 30 or younger. Even those of us over 40 can still see color, by the way...needing reading glasses might cause one to miss inclusions but not color!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I think that stones are color graded face up though, so the side view tinge would not affect the overall color grade??

anyhow, if you are truly unhappy with it I would talk to the vendor who sourced the stone to begin with and see if you can upgrade it to a better color.

genette

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you should post some pics so we know how it looks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scott, I really think you should return this diamond as I don''t think you will ever be happy with it. It is such a shame, especially as you went to all that trouble, but you are probably one of those really colour sensitive folk I mentioned earlier - and as such might need a colourless diamond to be truly happy with it. I still believe an properly graded H with med blue should face up white to most people, but in this case you aren''t happy with it so best to change it.

Best of luck to you!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i think it''s like going to the paint store, asking for off- white paint and finding that there are about 40 shades of off white.

an H would have been eggshell "off white" and he discovered does not like it.

he wants refrigerator white! Go get ''em tiger! be careful there are many shades of refrigerator white as well. D E F at least three.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2006 8:12:24 AM
Author: ladykemma

he wants refrigerator white! Go get 'em tiger!
LOL- I think you may be right Lady K! Or to put it another way, he wants an ICY WHITE DIAMOND!
41.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Re refrigerator white. I returned a F - IF almost 4 ct. emerald. After spending LOTS of time reading threads, (this place is addicting!) I realized I went for paper good, because the stone just didn''t thrill me in the real world. (granted it was an emerald which has less fire) but after all that, today I am picking up my G- VS1 Radiant!

Hopefully you can find what you are looking for! Enjoy the process.
9.gif

I know my process has kept me awake alot......

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
moved this entry about refigerator white paint to "family and home".

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Scott, I'm sorry you're so unhappy with your choice of stone. Buyer's remorse is an awful feeling. However...

In earlier posts you mention seeing "I" and "H" stones elsewhere that looked very white to you. Yet the tint of your "H" is driving you crazy...
You also emphasized before that your stone is an "unbelievable cut" and that it "sparkles like crazy, almost blinding". But in this later post you say you expected a better cut stone?

I'm wondering if maybe your emotions are getting the better of you right now. You've just made a very significant purchase for somebody you care about very much... you are planning to ask this person to spend the rest of her life with you... that is a lot to process! Especially for somebody who is used to feeling unruffled and in control of most situations in their life. It's no wonder that you are suddenly focusing extra-hard on the non-emotional details here (such as the ring) to try and re-establish some sense of control during this crazy time.

I think you should go ahead with the proposal and then let HER decide. After all, if she thinks it's perfect, isn't that really most important? And I would be willing to bet it will start to look a WHOLE lot more perfect to you then, too.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
he keeps confusing the issues.

and y'all said it faces up white, but he keeps looking at the color from the side. An H color stone will have tint when viewed from the side.

Part of the problem is the "pricescope syndrome" (my words) . we extoll the virtues of these stones, and then the customer receives it and it's not the holy grail after all.

i can't get the highlighter to turn off

either way he's not happy with it - for 25000 dolares he needs to be happy with it.

as a gurl, I would like to see it first, i might prefer the larger size.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2006 12:14:53 AM
Ok.

I''m sorry to hear this has been a disappointing endeavor for you - a 2ct ideal cut stone in a MWM setting sounds fabulous, but ultimately YOU have to be satisfied as well.

Just to throw my 2 cents in here - I am color sensitive as well. I can easily see the "yellow tint" in my (0.5ct) G color (GIA). So when I upgraded, I wanted WHITE - and I found a D with strong blue fluoresence - perfect! (for me...)

My D is also an ideal cut, H&A, Triple VH on the BS, etc - and my first reaction to it when seeing it in person was "that''s it?" I don''t know if I was expecting magic or something, but I think the PS descriptions of stones often leads to elevated expectations of what a stone is SUPPOSED to do in person. Perhaps instead of relying on what PS considers to be "perfect" in terms of a round, why not contact the vendor (GOG?), and perhaps go to their location to look at more stones (shapes? Colors? Sizes? Cuts? etc...) in person - the price of the trip may be worth it if you will both be satisfied in the long run.

I know this is supposed to be "the weekend" - can you still propose anyway? Why NOT let her be involved in the ring selection process? Isn''t the proposal supposed to be the important part anyway? Then be honest - tell her you have a (the?) ring - tell her your feelings about it, and see what she says. My hubby propsed without a ring (he knows me better than that!), and I think that''s great - we were able to pick out our original ring TOGETHER - and it meant more to both of us that way. But then I''m not the kind of gal who would have been able to be silent about it if I didn''t like it (had he "surprised" me with one at the time), but I''d have been concerned about hurting his feelings if I did say something. But - equally important to me - would be knowing that he wasn''t satisfied with what he gave me, even if it was something I loved - we both deserve to be happy with the choice, and so do you.

She loves YOU, not a rock - she''ll say yes, even without a fancy ring. So if you aren''t happy with the stone, then by all means carry on with the proposal, but do it ring less (or get a "placeholder" - Cracker Jacks? A CZ? A birthstone? ...)

I wish you luck in the quest for the right stone - but don''t let a rock mask the real significance of what it is you are doing. It''s just a rock, in the long run - your relationship is infinitely more valuable, and you should both be happy with whatever manner you both decide to express this committment to the world.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I really think you should try to exchange this stone for one of higher color. It sounds like you''ll never be happy with it. I myself like stones in the D-F range. If I could afford it, I would buy all of my diamonds in this color range. I do have a G colored stone with medium blue fluorescence, and it looks pretty white to me. I''m not sure that it would look noticeably whiter than your H though. I have an F stone that is absolutely white as can be, so if I were you, I would see if you can get an F. That way you won''t pay quite as high price as you would for a D or an E.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 9:52:29 AM
Author: ephemery1

Scott, I''m sorry you''re so unhappy with your choice of stone. Buyer''s remorse is an awful feeling. However...

In earlier posts you mention seeing ''I'' and ''H'' stones elsewhere that looked very white to you. Yet the tint of your ''H'' is driving you crazy...

You also emphasized before that your stone is an ''unbelievable cut'' and that it ''sparkles like crazy, almost blinding''. But in this later post you say you expected a better cut stone?

I''m wondering if maybe your emotions are getting the better of you right now. You''ve just made a very significant purchase for somebody you care about very much... you are planning to ask this person to spend the rest of her life with you... that is a lot to process! Especially for somebody who is used to feeling unruffled and in control of most situations in their life. It''s no wonder that you are suddenly focusing extra-hard on the non-emotional details here (such as the ring) to try and re-establish some sense of control during this crazy time.

I think you should go ahead with the proposal and then let HER decide. After all, if she thinks it''s perfect, isn''t that really most important? And I would be willing to bet it will start to look a WHOLE lot more perfect to you then, too.
I agree, let her decide if she likes it. I would go on with the proposal, and I would not mention the color. She may very well not see it. I think the size is what she''ll really be focused on.
2.gif

But let her know, if there is anything she doesn''t like about it, that to get a different one is no problem. That allows her to be truthful about the ring, and you''ll know for sure if SHE''S happy with it!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I think we should all learn from Demelza''s story. (Her recent upgrade - "put a folk in me I''m done" - from an I to a G)
As one ps member signature stone says, "it''s harder to find a mind clean stone than an eye clean stone."
If it''s knawing at you and bugging you it just isn''t the right stone for you.

My ering is a beautifully cut G from GOG. (I think it might be quite a low G)
I can see warmth and it honestly bugs me.
I could see it from the beginning and it bugged me then and still bothers me.
I should have known that it would always bug me - and upgraded in color even if that meant
dropping in size a little.
Side note* (Part of the reason we went with GOG was for the upgrade policy, and now my FI is saying he doesn''t ever want me to upgrade.
29.gif
)

Scintillating...

3hearts

Shiny_Rock

Hi Scott,

i''d love to see pics of the ring. i too thought an ''h'' would face up white. i have a ''k'' 2.5 stone that faces up white and yes, from the side there is a warmth, but just for a minute and then it disappears - i don''t know if that makes sense, but i''ll post some pics. this one was taking in my kitchen....

DSC00218123PP.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it's so surprising to me that one would see 'yellow' in an H especially when looking down into the stone...even my 2.32c J looks white peering down into the stone, i only see a bit of color from the side. i had a G and then an H and now two J's and i didn't see one iota of color in the G or H at all from top or side. but some people are super color sensitive...did you go into stores beforehand to see stones and figure out your own color sensitivity? that is often recommended on here....because your eyes are not going to be my eyes or anyone else's eyes. typically people will NOT see color in an exceptionally cut H colored stone and it's very surprising it has med blue fluor and shows color as fluor is supposed to help make lower color grades whiter...especially table down visuals. in any case, it's unfortunate you did not know beforehand of your color sensitivity...but i would return the stone and find a new one that fits your requirements for color. and see if the setting could be modified. you really only have two options at this point. keep it and possibly be unhappy or return it and get a new stone. good luck!

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
inside the car, hand on steering wheel.... if you see the warmth in this stone, then i would stay with a ''d, e, f'' stone.. i''m not color sensitive, i''m a clarity nut....

DSC00498Ppp.jpg

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 9:52:29 AM
Author: ephemery1

Scott, I'm sorry you're so unhappy with your choice of stone. Buyer's remorse is an awful feeling. However...

In earlier posts you mention seeing 'I' and 'H' stones elsewhere that looked very white to you. Yet the tint of your 'H' is driving you crazy...
You also emphasized before that your stone is an 'unbelievable cut' and that it 'sparkles like crazy, almost blinding'. But in this later post you say you expected a better cut stone?

I'm wondering if maybe your emotions are getting the better of you right now. You've just made a very significant purchase for somebody you care about very much... you are planning to ask this person to spend the rest of her life with you... that is a lot to process! Especially for somebody who is used to feeling unruffled and in control of most situations in their life. It's no wonder that you are suddenly focusing extra-hard on the non-emotional details here (such as the ring) to try and re-establish some sense of control during this crazy time.

I think you should go ahead with the proposal and then let HER decide. After all, if she thinks it's perfect, isn't that really most important? And I would be willing to bet it will start to look a WHOLE lot more perfect to you then, too.
Again, he has already seen I and H stones that he thought looked very white. That is what makes me think he may not be "color-sensitive" so much as "detail-sensitive" right now... this is a stressful time (positive stress, but a lot to deal with nonetheless!) and focusing on details like that is a very common way of trying to re-establish control over something that feels a little crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results