shape
carat
color
clarity

A Thread A Decade in the Making -- moved??

katyb

Rough_Rock
The 2 you posted, one 3.8c and the other 2.9c, do those have the good cut that you all are experts at here? Should I contact them about those two, like do I ask for the idelacope images etc or not necessary?
I personally would not want a diamond that is 3.8 carats. For me, that would be too large and too flashy. Some women love that size, though. So before you go that large, make sure that's something your wife would want.

Meanwhile, if you haven't checked it out, MamaBear posted a diamond over at Whiteflash: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...rity-round-ideal-cut-lab-sku-p223285?a_aid=PS

If it were me, I would be comparing the 2.64 carat at Whiteflash recommended by MamaBear with the 2.91 carat at Frank Darling recommended by DejaWiz. But if you are sure your wife would want a 3.8 carat diamond, then throw that into the mix, too.

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Honestly if that's anything close to flashy she would feel awkward or uncomfortable with it so I will stick in the smaller 2.5ish range give or take.

I know Whiteflash has been around since I first was here before we got upended but I don't see that they have that setting.

Maybe I can call both and see which seems nicer, that's about the level I'm on

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would not want a diamond that is 3.8 carats. For me, that would be too large and too flashy. Some women love that size, though. So before you go that large, make sure that's something your wife would want.

Meanwhile, if you haven't checked it out, MamaBear posted a diamond over at Whiteflash: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...rity-round-ideal-cut-lab-sku-p223285?a_aid=PS

If it were me, I would be comparing the 2.64 carat at Whiteflash recommended by MamaBear with the 2.91 carat at Frank Darling recommended by DejaWiz. But if you are sure your wife would want a 3.8 carat diamond, then throw that into the mix, too.

Agree completely.

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Yip, someone posted that setting. I like it but want 6 prongs not 4, idk why, I just think it is pretty. The WF diamonds are def more expensive but I just emailed her the diamond mama recommended and the setting I like. I will also contact FD about the setting I like and the 2.9c recommended which somehow is way less than the 2.6c even though better color and fewer inclusions.

I'll keep you posted and would be grateful if ya'll verified both those stones are meeting your approval.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
For what its worth, I too agree with less than 3 carat. I upgraded to a 3 carat and while I do enjoy the larger size, I will not go larger than that. It's definitely big, but still reasonable for daily wear.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Yip, someone posted that setting. I like it but want 6 prongs not 4, idk why, I just think it is pretty. The WF diamonds are def more expensive but I just emailed her the diamond mama recommended and the setting I like. I will also contact FD about the setting I like and the 2.9c recommended which somehow is way less than the 2.6c even though better color and fewer inclusions.

I'll keep you posted and would be grateful if ya'll verified both those stones are meeting your approval.

I believe Whiteflash has customized the Valoria setting many times for other PS members without much fuss: 6 prong variations, and two-tone settings (where the head is a white metal and the shank is rose/yellow gold).

Usually the stipulation is that the setting will not be returnable if it's customized.

EDIT TO ADD:
(1) Also take a look at this setting on WF. The head is slightly different (closer to Tiffany style head) but still a 6 prong pave solitaire. Very similar to the labgrowndiamonds setting that was posted earlier.
(2) I also would stick to under 3ct if she's not a flashy person
(3) After having an ideal cut and being in your carat size range pf 2-3ct, what is the next most important thing for you? Cost? clarity? colour?

I.e. Is it more important that you spend the entire budget and get the most colourless (DEF) and flawless (VVS or IF) diamond you can afford? Or would you prefer to spend less of your budget and get a stone that has more specs that are very good for colour (GH) and Eye-clean clarity (VS-VVS or better)?

I hesitate to use the words "best colour and best clarity" because colour preference is subjective, and VS and VVS and IF stones will look identical.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

The difference is pricing largely has to do with the vetting that Whiteflash performs in order to attach their name...and their reputation...to each diamond that they put up for sale.
It is possible to find great diamonds at FD, but you'll need to pick 2-5 diamonds and ask them to bring them in and then vet them for you.

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Hi All, thanks for all your help. I spoke to WF (Jennifer) and emailed both WF and FD. At FD they asked if I could send the link to the stone that you liked Deja, can you help me? You posted a pic of its angles and of the stone but I don't see a link to it anywhere, but I'm a moron.

On the settings, thank you all for the suggestions. I still like best the one Emmy posted and by a real margin, Idk if I can even articulate why. Maybe the prongs or shafts holding the prongs (???) are like more petite? It has six prongs but the metal bits (the lines) are all thin and they don't protrude out and they don't like shape the diamond, they just appear to hold it amd stay out of the way or, anyway, that is the best I can do, and I love that ring.

On the factors, yiu are right I want the cut to be great (that's how I found this place 15 yes ago). From there I'd prefer to be in the 2.5c range based on what I'm hearing from others, not bigger, and if the difference between clarity and color is unnoticeable maybe prefer to save the money if the difference is substantial? But I don't want the ring to look yellow or anyone looking to see anything inside it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi All, thanks for all your help. I spoke to WF (Jennifer) and emailed both WF and FD. At FD they asked if I could send the link to the stone that you liked Deja, can you help me? You posted a pic of its angles and of the stone but I don't see a link to it anywhere, but I'm a moron.

On the settings, thank you all for the suggestions. I still like best the one Emmy posted and by a real margin, Idk if I can even articulate why. Maybe the prongs or shafts holding the prongs (???) are like more petite? It has six prongs but the metal bits (the lines) are all thin and they don't protrude out and they don't like shape the diamond, they just appear to hold it amd stay out of the way or, anyway, that is the best I can do, and I love that ring.

On the factors, yiu are right I want the cut to be great (that's how I found this place 15 yes ago). From there I'd prefer to be in the 2.5c range based on what I'm hearing from others, not bigger, and if the difference between clarity and color is unnoticeable maybe prefer to save the money if the difference is substantial? But I don't want the ring to look yellow or anyone looking to see anything inside it.

No worries...here's the link to the 2.91 D at FD:

Have a look through their inventory to find other candidates for the sake of comparison.
My search was limited to the following criteria:
GIA
D color
VS1 and better
56% max table width
$8500 max price
2.00 min carat weight
...after that, I went through the results to find diamonds with a 40.6-40.8 pavilion angle, 34-35 crown angle, 15%+ crown height, looked for indicators of pavilion twist and light leakage, and any weird color hues (such as blue, gray, brownish-yellow, or brownish-gray).

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Glad we were able to find you the setting you were envisioning!

I don't remember if you said you wanted her to have a yellow or a white metal for this ring. White metal (or at least white metal for the prongs) will keep the diamonds looking whitest if you are going with a DEF coloured stone.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a sucker for chunkier facets, so this looks nice to me and with a VS1 clarity grade but still D colour.

I use easy mode and filtered by "super ideal" cut on FD to pre-filter, and then selected GIA grading lab. Limited search to DEF colour, and VS1 to VVS1 , with the angles that were posted above.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'm a sucker for chunkier facets, so this looks nice to me and with a VS1 clarity grade but still D colour.

I use easy mode and filtered by "super ideal" cut on FD to pre-filter, and then selected GIA grading lab. Limited search to DEF colour, and VS1 to VVS1 , with the angles that were posted above.

I saw that one, but I'm suspecting a bit of cut slop in the pavilion facets.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you want to push the upper limit of your carat weight range, then I found this gorgeously proportioned diamond that appears to be a very clean VS2:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I think you like the 6 prong better than 4 because the 4 prong makes the diamond look squarish.
You have some great choices. Good luck making a decision!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you want to push the upper limit of your carat weight range, then I found this gorgeously proportioned diamond that appears to be a very clean VS2:

Here's the interactive rotational video for this one:
This is one I would urge you to put on hold/reserve and have them bring it in for ASET images and videos under various lighting conditions!

katyb

Rough_Rock
@danny0927

One suggestion: ask the sales associate to make a video of the diamond or diamonds on the hand of a woman. Find out what ring size the hand model is. This will give you an idea of how large the diamond will look on your wife's hand.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the interactive rotational video for this one:
This is one I would urge you to put on hold/reserve and have them bring it in for ASET images and videos under various lighting conditions!

I agree its worth getting more data on.
WF has a few different choices that would be awesome.

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Hey All,

Thanks for your help. On the originally recommended stone, the link is here and the salesperson said they would price match:

My concern, if any, is that it might be too big. I don't want it to be like showy or gaudy, and my wife def won't want that, she is shy.

Somehow, oddly, last night I was trying to find out her ring size and she told me something like "don't you think it is time for a new ring", which was amazing to hear. She thinks she is a size 5, not a 6. I def have to get that sorted.

Karl, is the stone I just posted, which was the first recommended on this thread, good? Can I tell the salesperson, Kegan, what addled info would help?

Lastly, the salesperson brought up the issue of maybe doing the prongs in a white metal to avoid the stone looking yellow. Ao I asked him for a pic of what that looks like.

One last thing, should I just ask him to jump in here or is that a horrible idea? If you all say something is good I am all set.

So appreciative of the help to all of you.

danny0927

Rough_Rock
I agree its worth getting more data on.
WF has a few different choices that would be awesome.

Frank Datling told me they could get the ring in for photos etc but not if they price match. The difference is $1100. He said he didn't think it necessary but could do it for the higher price, stating:

"If you’re comfortable with the website price I’m happy to bring the stone
in and send videos etc. I don’t think it’s necessary with this stone given
the four c’s, usually it’s more helpful with fancy shapes where there is no
official cut grade, but it is something people often ask us to do and
generally takes about a week."

WF has seemed more salesman-y, but still nice, emails have things like "diamonds sell fast, reserve and purchase now" or whatever. They open tomorrow and are going to get me a quote to match the 6 prong setting at that time but to do that they need my full name, address, and other info. Fair enough I guess.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Frank Datling told me they could get the ring in for photos etc but not if they price match. The difference is $1100. He said he didn't think it necessary but could do it for the higher price, stating:

"If you’re comfortable with the website price I’m happy to bring the stone
in and send videos etc. I don’t think it’s necessary with this stone given
the four c’s, usually it’s more helpful with fancy shapes where there is no
official cut grade, but it is something people often ask us to do and
generally takes about a week."

WF has seemed more salesman-y, but still nice, emails have things like "diamonds sell fast, reserve and purchase now" or whatever. They open tomorrow and are going to get me a quote to match the 6 prong setting at that time but even to do that they need my full name, address, and other info. Fair enough I guess.
$1100 is a lot of money for some videos and photos.
It could be the profit margin is to low on the price match to pay for the time and trouble so that's understandable.
I would at least want an ASET or IS image.
That could be a negotiating point, just the advanced image for less money.

"diamonds sell fast, reserve and purchase now"
Its not a false statement, there have been a lot of cases over the years particularly around the holidays where multiple people are after the same diamond where someone has lost out on a diamond.
In your case there are multiple suitable stones in a slower time so its not a huge problem.
I do recommend that people put stones on hold that they are seriously interested in getting.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
$1100 is a lot of money for some videos and photos.
It could be the profit margin is to low on the price match to pay for the time and trouble so that's understandable.
I would at least want an ASET or IS image.
That could be a negotiating point, just the advanced image for less money.

Its not a false statement, there have been a lot of cases over the years particularly around the holidays where multiple people are after the same diamond where someone has lost out on a diamond.
In your case there are multiple suitable stones in a slower time so its not a huge problem.
I do recommend that people put stones on hold that they are seriously interested in getting.

danny0927, Karl makes a good point: ask if they'll price match and provide the ASET Scope image...no videos, so no extra time and labor for that.
Please, regardless of what you decide, contact them and put a hold on it ASAP. There have been so many here that have lost our on their dream diamonds because they were hours (sometimes even minutes) too late and didn't place a hold on the diamonds.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Another one popped up that you may want to seriously consider, if you want a bit more modesty with the diameter (still a nice 2.2 carat size!):

katyb

Rough_Rock
Lastly, the salesperson brought up the issue of maybe doing the prongs in a white metal to avoid the stone looking yellow.

I love this idea of making the prongs in platinum or white gold. I love the look. Not everyone does, of course, so it's a personal choice.

Another one popped up that you may want to seriously consider, if you want a bit more modesty with the diameter (still a nice 2.2 carat size!):

This is my favorite because of the size. I think the 2.2 carat is a perfect size. Not too big. Not too small. But big enough to get noticed. But again, picking out a diamond and a setting for a ring are very personal choices.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Forgot to link the interactive rotational video:

And the GIA grading report:

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Lastly, the salesperson brought up the issue of maybe doing the prongs in a white metal to avoid the stone looking yellow. Ao I asked him for a pic of what that looks like
This video that will be helpful for deciding which look you like, either white metal or two tone.

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Welcome to PriceScope. It is always sad to read how much misplaced power some paper pushing agents have. Glad to hear you overcame the abuse and are now living happily with your wife.

I have enjoyed reading of your journey and your search, and I am confident you will find a very nice ring for your wife with the help of the friendly people of PriceScope.

an advanced image IS/ASET

I asked the vendor for this stone and will keep you posted. I think 2.91 is too big. I have a friend whose wife has what I think is a big diamond ring. He sent me receipt, it's 1.73 G VS1. So 2.91c feels huge. I think that 2.2-2.6c range is great, approx.

Emmy, thank you for that video. Now I kinda like the platinum, doh!

Again, thank you guys for all the help. I'm super excited to show her this thread someday, and the one from 2008, she's gonna cry for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results