shape
carat
color
clarity

A Thread A Decade in the Making -- moved??

danny0927

Rough_Rock
I hope I've done this right, trying to move my thread to the right place. I left off here:

I'm a bit lost on where to properly post, so I apologize if I'm doing this wrong. I took Karl's advice and looked at "settings" and some diamonds but really I'm completely unqualified and forget what small amount I learned in 2007-08. Here's what I know and I wondered can someone take this info and help be like, "Yeah, we can get you that," pointing me to a diamond (that I'll unabashedly ask if Karl approves of lol) and I hand over the money and they send the ring, I feel incapable of buying a loose diamond and then matching it with a place that sells settings. Anyway:
1. I want a lab grown stone, whatever the right term for that is. Looks like ~2-2.75 carat is what I can afford. I want the "cut" to something you nerds (said with affection) would approve of and clarity and color to be in sort of upper class range but doesn't have to be perfect.
2. I like these settings but the odd thing to me is a lot of places don't let you see what the ring looks like under the stone, I think I saw a diagram calling it the "basket." I want that part to be simple, like petite if that's a proper word. Some rings I like don't show that bit so I'm unsure. But what I do think I know is:
- I like settings that have 6 prongs. I don't know why, I just like em. For example:

www.jamesallen.com

18K Yellow Gold Modified French Cut Six Prong Engagement Ring

A modified French cut band adorned with round brilliant diamonds showcases a 6-prong head assembly with dahlia petal-inspired accents. Tasteful, feminine, and unique, it is sure to garner attention wherever she goes.

www.jamesallen.com
www.jamesallen.com

- I like when they have diamonds running down the side, I think that's called "pave".
https://www.adiamor.com/Top-Engagement-Ring-Styles (the very top photo, the one of the girl's hand, that ring on her hand, I like it.)
3. I'm trying not to confuse myself, but I think I might also like "pear" and "oval" shapes, though I don't know if that's like a "don't get too cute, pal" type of thing for a wedding ring for a middle classer like me.
4. I think I like the gold rings, they seem both classic and modern to me. If girls don't like them, please let me know.
Again, thank you all so much for the kindness. I'm happy to pay someone to help me but only if they get a letter of recommendation from Karl.:lol-2:
Any advice given the above? Again, my budget is ~$9500ish, for the whole ring, like the diamond and the setting.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I like both platinum and gold, I'd be happy either way honestly, although I favor platinum a smidge more. I think what's important when getting a gold setting is to have the basket (you used the term correctly) in white gold. This way the diamond itself does not pick up too much of the color of the setting, taking away from some of its *whiteness* assuming you want a colorness range diamond.

In terms of shapes, what do you think she'd like? Again, I like many shapes, but I prefer a round because I get the best sparkle, which is important to me personally.

You are also correct about pave, that is also a very popular detail, so I think you have the right eye, now its just getting down to the nitty-gritty of cut parameters. FYI this thread probably will be sent to the lab grown diamond section under *forums* if you can't find it within the next day or so.

@Karl_K @DejaWiz

EDIT ** my bad this is the lab grown section ha

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
danny0927 what do you think of this, as an example?

18k YG cathedral pave setting with floral/tulip basket for $1121:

Many sellers (including the one linked here) can do custom settings, so recreating the style from JA shouldn't be a problem.

GIA graded 2.91 D VVS2 HPHT (no blue nuance!) for $5274
Video: Screenshot_20230608-063702-085.png

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Other great options are the JannPaul Decagon in LGD flavor...you can likely get 2.5-2.8 carat colorless extremely high clarity for your budget while leaving ample room for the setting.

Whiteflash now has their Precision LGD and tons of setting options to pick from (or design).

Jon at Distinctive Gem stocks some Hearts and Arrows rounds or can custom cut one to your desired carat weight or diameter range.

Brian Gavin, same.

Victor Canera can get LGD that would adhere to his high quality standards.

Check with Wink at Continental Diamond.

Frank Darling, Adiamor, I.D. Jewelry, and Delicate Gems have (or can get) GCAL 8X.

I've also heard great things about Ada Diamonds and By Bonnie Jewelry.

The sky is the limit!

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whiteflash now has their Precision LGD and tons of setting options to pick from (or design).

Victor Canera can get LGD that would adhere to his high quality standards.

Check with Wink at Continental Diamond.
Those 3 would be the easy button ask if they have a suitable size\clarity\color\price in stock in their premium lgd lines and will guide you on the setting.
Then run it by here to verify and your good to go.
It likely wont be the cheapest but the extras add value.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I’m excited for you! Is your wife’s current set yellow gold or white?

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
A low, cathedral setting would give you the 6 prong head with pave that you like the look of, but also be not too inconvenient for daily wear if she's chasing a toddler around. The cathedral parts are where the shoulders of the ring rise up to meet the head/basket. This setting by Vatche would be one I'd choose for you based on your specs above. Comes in yellow gold too

1686272709462.png

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Very grateful for the help. I'm only slow because I can only look when she's asleep or away or from my car, etc. Many thanks the two who sent ring examples. I have a question, using the below as an example, is there a way to get a 6 prong but with less stuff under the diamond or is this as sort of simple as it gets? I think I'm talking about the basket. I like the examples sent but I envisioned something very simple, like not a lot of 'metal'.

Also, using the same photo, it's the circular ring, and then some other metal runs up the side. But in the second example the diamond sits on top of the circular ring without any other things running up the side, if that makes sense. I like that more (I think), but maybe you can't get a "pave" setting like that?

I want it to be very simple, like not a whole lot going on, maybe I've put myself on the wrong track? When I figure out the "setting" I'll do exactly what Karl endorsed above and contact those 3 sources and hopefully they can make it easy. Whatever they come up with I'll then post here and be appreciative for folks' assessment as I'm over my head.

Finally, is there something I should look at on the settings to know if the ring is like chunky or petite or whatever the right words are? She's small, I learned stealthily that she is a size 6 ring, approximately, I think that's small (??). I want the ring to be like "thin" if that's a term, like the metal bit not to be real wide.

Answering questions:

1. I don't know what her current ring's metal is, maybe platinum? As I said, it was my mom's original engagement ring, and they were as poor as us when they got married. It's nothing anyone here would drool over, but it's all I could do. I was POOOR when I moved to Asia without a job and over 100k in student loans. It's silver, not gold, but I kind of like the gold, they look both modern and classic to me, but I could be easily swayed on the color.

2. On the Whiteflash diamond posted, I've no idea if that's a good one or a good price. I'm okay in that price range, but I don't know if that's a good stone to buy, I'd refer you to my representative Karl :lol-2:. If he likes it, I like it. And, speaking of, Karl, since you are and "industry" person now, can't you just sell me a ring and we can get this over with? Is that a thing?

Vatche-1514-Felicity-Pave-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-White-Gold_gi_3803_2-37868.jpg

BE16999_RD_75ct_yellow_side1.jpg

:lol-2::lol-2:

Last edited:

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
1. Here’s another option, pave, thinner shank (what you are referring to as the “band”). Perhaps, you can request Whiteflash add a 6-prong head. I have this setting without the pave and a six prong head and I love it. It’s really beautiful. I’m a size 4.5 and prefer thinner bands on me. This is sleek and elegant.
2. That diamond I posted from Whiteflash is beautiful. Just sayin’ =)2
3. I’d suggest platinum for the metal.
4. You are asking all the right questions! Glad to help you along on this journey!!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
The Valoria is beautiful in its simplicity. It might be what you are talking about. Here is a link to a website that explains all the components of a ring. Hoping it will help you with your descriptions and questions. Good luck!

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Also, using the same photo, it's the circular ring, and then some other metal runs up the side. But in the second example the diamond sits on top of the circular ring without any other things running up the side, if that makes sense. I like that more (I think), but maybe you can't get a "pave" setting like that?

The style I posted (that you do not like) with the metal running up the side is called a Cathedral setting.

The style you like would be what I call a "peg head" solitaire style, but there are likely other names. "Non-cathedral solitaire" would also work as a descriptor :)

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Emmy! Yes, that's it, the first one. Love it! Thank you. I want that setting, it's perfect, and a 2 to 3 carat stone in the middle or whatever I can afford for total price around 9.5k. But I REALLY don't want to have to buy a stone and ring separate unless there's a way to make that easy. Is there a way I can now get that setting and a stone that Karl will approve of and just send the money?

danny0927

Rough_Rock
I looked on that site for stones, Frank Darlin, but I am incapable on my own. The pricing seems to make no sense. Some have great "specs" but are inexpensive and others are smaller with worse specs seemingly and are 3x the price.

It would literally be impossible for me to know which stone based on the data on the site.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I looked on that site for stones, Frank Darlin, but I am incapable on my own. The pricing seems to make no sense. Some have great "specs" but are inexpensive and others are smaller with worse specs seemingly and are 3x the price.

It would literally be impossible for me to know which stone based on the data on the site.

How does that 2.91 D look to you (the one I posted earlier in this thread)?

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Deja, Thanks for your help. Tbh I don't know if I like that diamond. I see all the numbers but idk if they are good. I looked to see if there's some grade on the cut but couldn't find it.

I'm fine with the price. If Karl or the rest of you diamond geniuses like it I am good, though I've never heard of the vendor.

The setting looks pretty much the same as the one I liked, no? So maybe a lot of places have that one?

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Sorry what is FD hunting?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Sorry what is FD hunting?

Frank Darling...hunting their inventory for outstanding options to pick from.

The diamond that I linked (the 2.91) has extremely awesome proportions and angles. :)

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Sorry to be a pain. I just read the terms of use on the loosegrowndiamonds site and I won't order from that site. I know I am pedantic but the disclaimer of warranty is really rough. It disclaims even intentional misreps on the site. In addition it has what is called an arbitration provision mandating that if you have a problem you cannot bring suit, anywhere, but can arbitrate in a place in India I have not heard of. I just could never order from a place like that, no chance.

Would be grateful for other options.

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Frank Darling...hunting their inventory for outstanding options to pick from.

The diamond that I linked (the 2.91) has extremely awesome proportions and angles. :)

Was that stone from Frank Darling? If so their terms look better. Somehow I thought it was from the site I mentioned above. I'm so sorry, I'm awful at this.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Was that stone from Frank Darling? If so their terms look better. Somehow I thought it was from the site I mentioned above. I'm so sorry, I'm awful at this.

It's listed at both sellers. FD's price on it isn't horribly inflated in comparison...couple/few hundred dollars more is all, and maybe they'll price match if you ask.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Question for you, danny0927: how big do you wanna go on carat/spread?
With your generous budget, I'm seeing beautiful cut and proportioned GIA graded D VS1 or better 3.6+ carats. Is your 2.75 limit a hard stop for you? Just want to make sure I'm searching for recommendations that will fit what you're targeting.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Example: about $8200
Screenshot_20230616-185342-913.png

Screenshot_20230616-185408-519.png

Screenshot_20230616-185447-754.png

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Hi Deja, I don't have any limited on size but I would say she's small and we aren't flashy, she won't want something that looks like it's from the Flintstones. I thought 2-3 was a reasonable size but I know nothing.

katyb

Rough_Rock
It looks to me like the 2.91 diamond is $6131 at Frank Darling. It is $5274 at Loose Grown Diamond.
Edited to add: It is $6363 (a sale!) at Adiamor.

Last edited:

danny0927

Rough_Rock
I'd be happy to pay a bit more from the FD site but they do price match so I would ask I suppose. The 2 you posted, one 3.8c and the other 2.9c, do those have the good cut that you all are experts at here? Should I contact them about those two, like do I ask for the idelacope images etc or not necessary?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results