shape
carat
color
clarity

A Terrible experience with IG Seller CeylonSapphireGems

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I'm not clear what this inquiry form is for. Is it to report him for fraud? Because he already got the stone back 3 weeks ago. He just won't refund my money.

Omg!!! So it's not even like the stone is lost and now there is dispute over who wears the loss!!!!

I feel so terrible on your behalf!!!!!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Sorry I'm not clear what this inquiry form is for. Is it to report him for fraud? Because he already got the stone back 3 weeks ago. He just won't refund my money.

This is the authority responsible for exporting gems from Sri Lanka. When you buy from a Sri Lanka vendor, he/she has to send the stone and other documents to the authority for clearance. I suspect they are the one sending it too (remember the brown package with seal wax?). Since they are the one exporting the stone, they should know if it is possible to return. I just think it is worth asking them and see if you can find a solution.

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is why if you buy directly from SL don’t ever think you’ll be able to return or exchange the stone. It simply doesn’t work that way.

The option to return the stones, switch them and re-export is pretty much unviable.

This is the risk you take when you buy direct from a dealer in an Asian country.

I keep clearing misconceptions regarding this (and related things) every several months on here over and over... But again:

Import of gemstones into Sri Lanka is not illegal or impossible. There aren't even any customs duties on that.

It costs a little bit to receive the stones back. Not a lot - clearance charges basically, sans taxes or customs.

So it isn't an inherent risk, but rather simply a matter of seller/company policy. Between the lines, it's just a question of whether one wants to bother or not.

As over-regulated, slow and inefficient as the Sri Lankan gem trade oversight bodies may be, which they certainly are, "can't send gems back" is simply untrue.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I keep clearing misconceptions regarding this (and related things) every several months on here over and over... But again:

Import of gemstones into Sri Lanka is not illegal or impossible. There aren't even any customs duties on that.

It costs a little bit to receive the stones back. Not a lot - clearance charges basically, sans taxes or customs.

So it isn't an inherent risk, but rather simply a matter of seller/company policy. Between the lines, it's just a question of whether one wants to bother or not.

As over-regulated, slow and inefficient as the Sri Lankan gem trade oversight bodies may be, which they certainly are, "can't send gems back" is simply untrue.

I didn’t say you CANNOT send them back.

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I didn’t say you CANNOT send them back.

Of course not - I'm simply clearing it in a more general sense since I periodically come across implications of returns being discouraged on account of being too difficult to organize, as well as some mentions of import restrictions (which isn't the case) and similar stuff. The only restriction is a total ban on rough export.

Most source countries seem to have very few restrictions on these things afaik, with the obvious exception of Burma and recurring temporary bans in Madagascar/Tanzania etc.

This is the authority responsible for exporting gems from Sri Lanka. When you buy from a Sri Lanka vendor, he/she has to send the stone and other documents to the authority for clearance. I suspect they are the one sending it too (remember the brown package with seal wax?). Since they are the one exporting the stone, they should know if it is possible to return. I just think it is worth asking them and see if you can find a solution.

......but it has been returned? As in he retrieved the package on July 22nd and confirmed that the sapphire was in the same condition as when he sent it to me.

What do you think the Authority can do at this point?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I haven’t read through the whole thread yet but I just wanted to quickly add that myself and @AnastasiaBeaverhausen are currently in a fight with him trying to get our refunds and have written up our experiences and were going to post soon.

I’m so sorry you’re in a similar boat @cheegg. This vendor is not trustworthy, is a liar, and is shady.

Omg I’m so sorry for you and @AnastasiaBeaverhausen …absolute nightmare. Please keep us posted.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
......but it has been returned? As in he retrieved the package on July 22nd and confirmed that the sapphire was in the same condition as when he sent it to me.

What do you think the Authority can do at this point?

I’ve also been in the same position on waiting for a USD refund from Sri Lanka. There are restrictions on sending foreign currency from SL banks which have been implemented by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka.

I wouldn’t worry too much, you’ll almost certainly get your refund but it’ll probably be remitted in tranches from correspondents.

Business in Sri Lanka, particularly this industry, is still done based on trust and a handshake agreement. This is NOT the west and not like shopping at Walmart.

Once a relationship is established a vendor would send stones even before full payment if it guarantees a sale. I’ve been in a position where I owe vendors money for stones I’ve already received - and, obviously the other way around.

Business is not done as we would expect it to be done - you can call that unacceptable - as it may well be unacceptable FOR YOU (not you specifically Anastasia, I’m using the you in general terms). And that’s ok. People shouldn’t deal with those vendors or in a way which makes them uncomfortable.

If you actually find yourself ripped off / stolen from / out of pocket that’s a different story. But I think that’s extremely unlikely.

Please do update when you get your money back.

@cheegg - Finally finished typing up my thread!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Ionysis I find it very disconcerting how you assume the refund is a sure thing. You cannot know, and you come off as victim shaming, when you tout your experience as the only one that matters and only speaking on behalf of the vendors.

Snowbebe

Rough_Rock
I’ve also been in the same position on waiting for a USD refund from Sri Lanka. There are restrictions on sending foreign currency from SL banks which have been implemented by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka.

I wouldn’t worry too much, you’ll almost certainly get your refund but it’ll probably be remitted in tranches from correspondents.

Business in Sri Lanka, particularly this industry, is still done based on trust and a handshake agreement. This is NOT the west and not like shopping at Walmart.

Once a relationship is established a vendor would send stones even before full payment if it guarantees a sale. I’ve been in a position where I owe vendors money for stones I’ve already received - and, obviously the other way around.

Business is not done as we would expect it to be done - you can call that unacceptable - as it may well be unacceptable FOR YOU (not you specifically Anastasia, I’m using the you in general terms). And that’s ok. People shouldn’t deal with those vendors or in a way which makes them uncomfortable.

If you actually find yourself ripped off / stolen from / out of pocket that’s a different story. But I think that’s extremely unlikely.

I feel that your posts come off as defending this particular vendor and blaming on the buyers. I actually bought multiple times from him before. Chee and my experience has nothing to do with how Sri Lanka vendors work though. He made a mistake and did not handle it well. The same for Anastasia. It’s how he handled the transaction and not following up with his words. It has nothing to do with how their process works.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ionysis I find it very disconcerting how you assume the refund is a sure thing. You cannot know, and you come off as victim shaming, when you tout your experience as the only one that matters and only speaking on behalf of the vendors.

Came here to say this! I dont understand how anyone could read either of these threads and have this attitude

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Refer to my comment on Anastasia’s thread. Please do point out where I have in any way “blamed” a purchaser. I’m merely saying that this kind of thing isn’t actually unusual when buying directly from source. It’s totally not for everyone. Stating that isn’t an adverse comment on the purchaser.

Most of my friends would never in a million years contemplate purchasing gemstones through some of the channels that I use. And I get that. Because they don’t want to risk this kind of experience. For me, it’s worth it. The cost savings outweigh the concerns for me. Although I’ve never been left out of pocket I also don’t risk more than I could afford to lose - and the volume of gems I buy means if I did get gypped by someone once I’d still have been in a better financial position overall than buying the same stones through western vendors.

There is no implied criticism of the posters here in any way. I sympathise with their stress. I was trying to be reassuring to Anastasia in saying I think it’s likely she will get her money back. Shoot me for trying to make her feel better!

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
Huh. I wish Ceylonsapphiregems had disclosed this prior to having me send the stone back for a refund. I've been holding back on posting about my experience, because he's been promising to give me my refund for the past 3 weeks.

Guess I'm not getting my thousands of dollars back after all.
Not commenting on the business practises or communication issues here but for the benefit of education for those who may not know…

In Sri Lanka you can’t just send gemstones out by FedEx / “create a lable”.

The export of gems and jewellery can only be done through the National Gem and Jewellery Authority (NGJA). It requires a valid Official Gem Dealers License and is a process which is not suited to retail delivery. There are also import restrictions on cut gemstones to protect the Sri Lankan industry.

This is why if you buy directly from SL don’t ever think you’ll be able to return or exchange the stone. It simply doesn’t work that way.

The option to return the stones, switch them and re-export is pretty much unviable.

This is the risk you take when you buy direct from a dealer in an Asian country. It is NOT the same as buying from the US. Which is why the price you pay is half what you would pay a US vendor.

This risk needs to be factored into your consideration when buying. If you’re not familiar with the practises of a specific country please research and educate yourself.

I appreciate this information, but when a vendor assures you there are "no pr
I feel that your posts come off as defending this particular vendor and blaming on the buyers. I actually bought multiple times from him before. Chee and my experience has nothing to do with how Sri Lanka vendors work though. He made a mistake and did not handle it well. The same for Anastasia. It’s how he handled the transaction and not following up with his words. It has nothing to do with how their process works.

Came here to say this! I dont understand how anyone could read either of these threads and have this attitude

Agree. The pattern of misrepresenting, (aka lying), by the vendor is well established. One cannot defend the indefensible.

I'm concerned that @AnastasiaBeaverhausen's bank information is in a fraudster's hands. I'd advise to remove funds from that account, so Ceylonsapphiregems, (or his/her cohorts), would only be able to deposit, (not withdraw).

She has my deepest sympathies and I appreciate her sharing her horrific experience.

cheegg

Rough_Rock

Allow me to point out the thing many other people pointed out again, the issue we are discussing here is not how difficult it is to "create a shipping label" or "refund money". It is simply the dishonesty of the vendor.

Trust is a good word. As customer, we trusted the vendor, majority because the reviews we hear from here, so we did what he suggested. And if he could be honest with customer up front, then that will be OK to "blame" customers when it comes to the consequences.

Maybe business is done differently there, but if he promises something, we simply expect him to follow through. That's a fair expectation. Sadly it is not for some of us, and that's why we spent time to share our story to alert others.

Anastasia, is there any way to have a bank reverse a wire transfer if fraud has been committed?

Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I think too much time has passed. Since the funds have already reach his account, sounds like he only thing I can do about that is to contact his bank and see if they'll be willing to send the money back to me (ha). ;(

cheegg

Rough_Rock
Not so much an update.

The seller contacted me the day I posted my story, which was surprisingly quick. Nothing but some some angry messages that accused me of being to blame for the situation, but he did not dispute the story, and that's it.
He insisted that it was not his fault that the stone got messed up, thus in his mind, I am just ruining his reputation here...

Thanks for all are supportive and caring, and glad there is a channel for me to "complain" about this seller:lol-2:

I am sincerely sorry for the other OP. I hope no one has to go through any of this again.

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen any luck getting your refund?

ETA: Sorry, I got my threads confused. I found your update. I was hoping for a better one for you!

Thank you for checking in on me, @kah42. Still no refund as of today. I'll post a longer response on the other thread. I feel bad I keep hijacking cheegg's thread!
Not so much an update.

The seller contacted me the day I posted my story, which was surprisingly quick. Nothing but some some angry messages that accused me of being to blame for the situation, but he did not dispute the story, and that's it.
He insisted that it was not his fault that the stone got messed up, thus in his mind, I am just ruining his reputation here...

Thanks for all are supportive and caring, and glad there is a channel for me to "complain" about this seller:lol-2:

I am sincerely sorry for the other OP. I hope no one has to go through any of this again.

Geez Louise. He actually believes this was somehow your fault for sharing your experience with others?

Ya know, I used to feel so guilty speaking poorly about a vendor, because I didn't want to affect their livelihood, etc. etc. And so I just refrained from saying anything about em.

But now, I realize I have no reason to feel guilty about speaking up.

A decent vendor will truthfully address the situation, offer a reasonable resolution if possible, and then follow through with it. On the other hand, a terrible vendor makes themselves look bad due to shoddy practices and refusing to admit fault when they share some of the blame.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results