shape
carat
color
clarity

A Terrible experience with IG Seller CeylonSapphireGems

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not used this seller and a seller is judged not by what goes right but by how they handle things when it goes wrong.

I have to say one thing though …. It potentially would have been very very difficult for him to organise FedEx with two addresses in the US when he’s abroad but if he had been honest and asked one if you to do it and then immediately reimbursed that person it would have been a better solution. All vendors make mistakes and this is probably a one off BUT this is not how you expect a vendor to treat customers.

I suspect he will have lost PS business because if this because a search in the group will always throw up this thread.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have not used this seller and a seller is judged not by what goes right but by how they handle things when it goes wrong.

I have to say one thing though …. It potentially would have been very very difficult for him to organise FedEx with two addresses in the US when he’s abroad but if he had been honest and asked one if you to do it and then immediately reimbursed that person it would have been a better solution. All vendors make mistakes and this is probably a one off BUT this is not how you expect a vendor to treat customers.

I suspect he will have lost PS business because if this because a search in the group will always throw up this thread.

It would be difficult for him to arrange FedEx, but what he should have done in my opinion was let the buyers ship their respective stones back to him and let him resend the correct stone to the correct buyer. Instead, he didn't even offer that as an option, probably because of the custom duties, although there's definitely a way to get around that. Furthermore, he lied to the OP and later only offered a discount on future purchases. When prices are not transparent, that's worth nothing, because he can always mark up before giving the "discount".

cheegg

Rough_Rock

I totally understand it is difficult for him to arrange the Fedex label, and I was willing to do that. I just had a really bad feeling from the beginning that he was just trying to avoid fixing the problem and not keeping his words.
The fact that he said 3 days in a row that he will create shipping label "today", but he was really just trying to delay, since he had no intentions to refund us at all...

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I totally understand it is difficult for him to arrange the Fedex label, and I was willing to do that. I just had a really bad feeling from the beginning that he was just trying to avoid fixing the problem and not keeping his words.
The fact that he said 3 days in a row that he will create shipping label "today", but he was really just trying to delay, since he had no intentions to refund us at all...

Yes exactly this. He should have just said it is too complicated to do the label and offered a reimbursement for it.

cheegg

Rough_Rock
It would be difficult for him to arrange FedEx, but what he should have done in my opinion was let the buyers ship their respective stones back to him and let him resend the correct stone to the correct buyer. Instead, he didn't even offer that as an option, probably because of the custom duties, although there's definitely a way to get around that. Furthermore, he lied to the OP and later only offered a discount on future purchases. When prices are not transparent, that's worth nothing, because he can always mark up before giving the "discount".

I did offer to have the gem to send back so he can fix the situation, but he insisted on us exchanging the gems.
For me, I could not trust he would do another transaction correctly since he was not even willing to fix the first issue, so the discount was not an option in my mind.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

I agree with you here @voce .
The only truly correct & proper way to ensure both stones complete safety was to have him pay or reimburse both customers to send back both stones to them. That way he can inspect them and if one was damaged he is in charge of it and can visibly see the damage and assess it. There's all sorts of immoral handling with this case, IMHO of course. It could have been such a bigger mess. Also imagine if one customer had never shipped a stone before and simply just placed it loose in a mailer? This is all of course if he was an honest & trusted seller but sadly in this situation we can see that the customers didn't feel comfortable that they'd even ever receive their stones if they sent them back. So many awful scenarios, that's why in my previous post, I explained how truly lucky you both were to get eachother!

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
Thank you VERY much for sharing your experience. This vendor will solidly go in my "NO" column for buying.
I usually dislike posts that criticize vendors, but this is an exception! You've done the community a great service by taking the time to detail what happened and I really appreciate it!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Not commenting on the business practises or communication issues here but for the benefit of education for those who may not know…

In Sri Lanka you can’t just send gemstones out by FedEx / “create a lable”.

The export of gems and jewellery can only be done through the National Gem and Jewellery Authority (NGJA). It requires a valid Official Gem Dealers License and is a process which is not suited to retail delivery. There are also import restrictions on cut gemstones to protect the Sri Lankan industry.

This is why if you buy directly from SL don’t ever think you’ll be able to return or exchange the stone. It simply doesn’t work that way.

The option to return the stones, switch them and re-export is pretty much unviable.

This is the risk you take when you buy direct from a dealer in an Asian country. It is NOT the same as buying from the US. Which is why the price you pay is half what you would pay a US vendor.

This risk needs to be factored into your consideration when buying. If you’re not familiar with the practises of a specific country please research and educate yourself.

W

westofhere

And yet if they could wire money to him he should have conceivably been able to wire the shipping fees back to them? It’s the “hey you can have a discount next time” remark that was beyond clueless, imho.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
And yet if they could wire money to him he should have conceivably been able to wire the shipping fees back to them? It’s the “hey you can have a discount next time” remark that was beyond clueless, imho.

Also very usual when dealing with Thai, Indian or Sri Lankan vendors. And they do mean it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Exactly. I completely understand if it wouldn't be possible for him to organize fedex labels, or even if it isn't feasible to have both individuals return the stones to him. What I find inexcusable, though, is that he promised to refund them the cost of shipping and then never did.

W

westofhere

Exactly. I completely understand if it wouldn't be possible for him to organize fedex labels, or even if it isn't feasible to have both individuals return the stones to him. What I find inexcusable, though, is that he promised to refund them the cost of shipping and then never did.

And then used his failure as an attempt to generate more business! Gross.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t read through the whole thread yet but I just wanted to quickly add that myself and @AnastasiaBeaverhausen are currently in a fight with him trying to get our refunds and have written up our experiences and were going to post soon.

I’m so sorry you’re in a similar boat @cheegg. This vendor is not trustworthy, is a liar, and is shady.

This is why if you buy directly from SL don’t ever think you’ll be able to return or exchange the stone. It simply doesn’t work that way.

Huh. I wish Ceylonsapphiregems had disclosed this prior to having me send the stone back for a refund. I've been holding back on posting about my experience, because he's been promising to give me my refund for the past 3 weeks.

Guess I'm not getting my thousands of dollars back after all.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Not commenting on the business practises or communication issues here but for the benefit of education for those who may not know…

In Sri Lanka you can’t just send gemstones out by FedEx / “create a lable”.

The export of gems and jewellery can only be done through the National Gem and Jewellery Authority (NGJA). It requires a valid Official Gem Dealers License and is a process which is not suited to retail delivery. There are also import restrictions on cut gemstones to protect the Sri Lankan industry.

The option to return the stones, switch them and re-export is pretty much unviable.

This is the risk you take when you buy direct from a dealer in an Asian country. It is NOT the same as buying from the US. Which is why the price you pay is half what you would pay a US vendor.

This risk needs to be factored into your consideration when buying. If you’re not familiar with the practises of a specific country please research and educate yourself.

The victim blaming is strong with this one.

And why an Asian country? Why not Switzerland, other parts of Europe? Australia? Just Asia then?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Huh. I wish Ceylonsapphiregems had disclosed this prior to having me send the stone back for a refund. I've been holding back on posting about my experience, because he's been promising to give me my refund for the past 3 weeks.

That’s terrible. I’m so sorry and still crossing my fingers for you and @Spring Day that you do get a resolution.

M

maru8888777

I could be wrong, but I think import fees are charged to sellers in Sri Lanka when customers return stones. So, I don't think it's impossible, it's just that the terms of the transaction need to be clear to all parties beforehand.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Spring Day @Ionysis I think we all understand the risks we take with wiring funds directly to Instagram vendors. I agree it's unfair to categorically say all Asian vendors are a certain way and to set expectations low, since there have been excellent ones honoring returns and being honest. I have dealt with some excellent vendors from Singapore, Thailand, and Hong Kong.

cheegg

Rough_Rock
Stories like this are why I will only use PayPal or the ol’ American Express. If I’m purchasing something big, I want to know that I’m protected if things go south!

This is definitely a painful lesson on my side.
I just hope whoever read this would be careful and hopefully wont have to go through what we went through...

cheegg

Rough_Rock
I agree with you here @voce .
The only truly correct & proper way to ensure both stones complete safety was to have him pay or reimburse both customers to send back both stones to them. That way he can inspect them and if one was damaged he is in charge of it and can visibly see the damage and assess it. There's all sorts of immoral handling with this case, IMHO of course. It could have been such a bigger mess. Also imagine if one customer had never shipped a stone before and simply just placed it loose in a mailer? This is all of course if he was an honest & trusted seller but sadly in this situation we can see that the customers didn't feel comfortable that they'd even ever receive their stones if they sent them back. So many awful scenarios, that's why in my previous post, I explained how truly lucky you both were to get eachother!

I had concerns on all the things you mentioned, and even more, lol. Who should be responsible if the stone was damaged, exchanged or worst case, never showed up? When I raised my concerns to him, he "promised" he would refund if things went wrong...
And yes, I feel really lucky that the other party was R!

cheegg

Rough_Rock
I haven’t read through the whole thread yet but I just wanted to quickly add that myself and @AnastasiaBeaverhausen are currently in a fight with him trying to get our refunds and have written up our experiences and were going to post soon.

I’m so sorry you’re in a similar boat @cheegg. This vendor is not trustworthy, is a liar, and is shady.

I am really sorry to hear that, I hope you two can get a solution soon!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ughhhhh what a f--king nightmare. I am so sorry

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
I understand that the practice in different countries could be different. If that is the practice in Sri Lanka, please do not say "I can give you 100% money back guarantee" to the customers. When a vendor says that but knowingly it could be very difficult to do a return / exchange, then I cannot say the vendor is a honest person. I think the issues here are not that we do not accept his difficulties in creating Fedex labels / refund etc. The main problems is he failed to honour his promises.

I did not encounter much hiccups when I buy from him, only waited a little longer for the delivery. The stone is lovely which I have it made into a beautiful ring. But having hearing the problems from other PSers, I will be very hesitated to buy again.

Last edited:

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

I am so sorry. I hope you get it resolves very soon.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gasp! Thousands of dollars down the drain? I am so sorry this happened to you. Thank you for posting this and I think you should start a thread to help warn future customers who search out this seller's name on PS.

W

westofhere

Is there a way to let Instagram know? Do they ever remove vendors?

Since the export was done via the Authority. Will you consider making an inquiry to them? I did some research before I made my purchase and I read most info in their website. Here is a link you can try. https://ngja.gov.lk/contact/

Sorry I'm not clear what this inquiry form is for. Is it to report him for fraud? Because he already got the stone back 3 weeks ago. He just won't refund my money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results