shape
carat
color
clarity

A piece with a 125 year history

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spoiler/Warning: this is not a piece that most PSers would probably choose, but it means the absolute world to me and I cannot wait to see it IRL on Saturday. No, it's not my Octavia haha.

Many of you know I got divorced based on other threads. What no one knows (until now) is that I'm getting remarried in July. He has been one of my closest friends for 3-4 years now, and once my marriage was clearly over we realized pretty quickly that we share future goals, dreams, and are looking for similar things in a life partner/spouse. He is a true partner in every sense, and we live our life as a team. I appreciate him so much.

When he told his mom that we are designing my engagement ring (spoiler: the Octavia is my engagement ring! Yay!), she said she was hoping to give him her mom's ring.

I told my partner and his mom that I would be honored to wear and cherish it as an RHR, and asked her to share the story with me.

This is what she texted:

"This is Mom’s (my future mother in laws mom--partner's grandma's) diamond mounted on my paternal grandmother’s (my partner's great grandma's) wedding ring.

The wedding band has my grandparents initials and date of the wedding 6-16-98(1898 ) **eighteen ninety eight, no idea why it keeps formatting eights as smiley faces**

I wore the wedding band after my Dad died (during the 80’s and 90’s), then after Mom died in 1996 I had her diamond mounted on the band. Dad gave this diamond to Mom sometime in the 70’s."

So this ring has been in the family for almost 125 years(!!!) And comprises pieces from my partner's great grandparents (the band) and grandparents (the diamond).

My partner and I plan to get his grandparent's, parents, and our wedding dates engraved. His great grandparents wedding date is already engraved. In total there will be 4 wedding dates engraved to show the 4 generations of love this ring has seen.

I don't even have words for how thankful I am to be the caretaker of this ring, and cannot wait to wear it.

Finally, pics!

image000001(1).jpg

image000000(4).jpg

For once, I don't care if the cut is ideal, or the band width/design. I love the history and meaning, and smile whenever I think about how much love this ring has seen in it's long life. I hope the ring will see more generations of love while in my care.

Thanks for reading to anyone who made it this far!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, congratulations @lovedogs ! What an amazing piece of history to have as your RHR. It's so amazing that your love stories will be linked together in that one ring! :kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, congratulations @lovedogs ! What an amazing piece of history to have as your RHR. It's so amazing that your love stories will be linked together in that one ring! :kiss2:

Thank you!!! I should have said this above, but I plan to ask my future MIL If she would prefer that I use this as my engagement ring and wear my Octavia as an RHR. I honestly dont care which hand I wear each ring on, and if it would be meaningful to her then that is what matters :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Such a special piece with so much history and sentiment. Congratulations on your marriage ❤️

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations @lovedogs. This ring is beautiful and the sentiment is so special. Some many years of love behind this beautiful ring and now you get the honor of adding many many more years to it. I’m so very happy for you! Thank you for sharing this wonderful news with us.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited for you! New beginnings with family heirlooms….

How lovely you are so cherished by your future husband’s family.

Best wishes for a wonderful future together.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was so heartwarming to read your post; such a lovely tribute to both families and such a beautiful ring imbued with love through the ages -- Congratulations @lovedogs wishing you every happiness!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, congratulations, lovedogs! The history in that ring is so touching and special. How wonderful that you'll get to wear it and be a part of that history. I'm very happy for you and wishing you all the best.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

DK :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful story! This brought a tear to my eye!

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement, your irreplaceable piece of treasured history & your happy ever after :kiss2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!! What an honor to be entrusted with such a storied piece of the family’s history. It’s a beautiful, sentimental reminder to the love that four generations had and and still share. Love the story. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I am very happy for you and wish you all things bright and beautiful moving forward!

Such a sweet, sentimental piece of jewelry you have been gifted! It is so special and the story is just intertwined with love. We have read here before of girls being given a family ring either didn't want it or appreciate it. Your love and appreciation of this family ring is both heartwarming and genuine. Thanks for sharing this with us!

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
I love this so much! And congratulations on your engagement!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful piece with a beautiful history! Congrats @lovedogs ! I also wanted to share my support. I had a similar situation and married my husband within a year of my divorce. We knew each other and were friends for several year and my previous marriage was a toxic disaster (which I didn’t even fully realize until I was finally out of it). We are about to celebrate 15 years and I could not be happier. It’s unbelievable how good it feels to be in a healthy, loving relationship with someone who adores and respects you and to grow together and support each other through good times and bad. Congratulations on your new beginning!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I love jewelry stories such as these, and how wonderful that the Octavia will also be your e-ring :)

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How lovely is that!?! Congratulations and cheers to new beginnings with a talisman of enduring love blessing your union! :love:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, well that is great, both the upcoming wedding and ring, I’m glad you have found happiness. Also, although not popular here, I happen to love the big thick yellow gold band and diamond look.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Beautiful sentiment and just such a special ring. I wish you all the best!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Eeeee! I'm so happy for you, to find a true partner is a precious thing.
The ring is a perfect encapsulation of what rings can be. What an honor to add your story to the stories it will remember.
Congratulations! 929431

EllenS1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Spoiler/Warning: this is not a piece that most PSers would probably choose, but it means the absolute world to me and I cannot wait to see it IRL on Saturday. No, it's not my Octavia haha.

Many of you know I got divorced based on other threads. What no one knows (until now) is that I'm getting remarried in July. He has been one of my closest friends for 3-4 years now, and once my marriage was clearly over we realized pretty quickly that we share future goals, dreams, and are looking for similar things in a life partner/spouse. He is a true partner in every sense, and we live our life as a team. I appreciate him so much.

When he told his mom that we are designing my engagement ring (spoiler: the Octavia is my engagement ring! Yay!), she said she was hoping to give him her mom's ring.

I told my partner and his mom that I would be honored to wear and cherish it as an RHR, and asked her to share the story with me.

This is what she texted:

"This is Mom’s (my future mother in laws mom--partner's grandma's) diamond mounted on my paternal grandmother’s (my partner's great grandma's) wedding ring.

The wedding band has my grandparents initials and date of the wedding 6-16-98(1898 ) **eighteen ninety eight, no idea why it keeps formatting eights as smiley faces**

I wore the wedding band after my Dad died (during the 80’s and 90’s), then after Mom died in 1996 I had her diamond mounted on the band. Dad gave this diamond to Mom sometime in the 70’s."

So this ring has been in the family for almost 125 years(!!!) And comprises pieces from my partner's great grandparents (the band) and grandparents (the diamond).

My partner and I plan to get his grandparent's, parents, and our wedding dates engraved. His great grandparents wedding date is already engraved. In total there will be 4 wedding dates engraved to show the 4 generations of love this ring has seen.

I don't even have words for how thankful I am to be the caretaker of this ring, and cannot wait to wear it.

Finally, pics!

image000001(1).jpg

image000000(4).jpg

For once, I don't care if the cut is ideal, or the band width/design. I love the history and meaning, and smile whenever I think about how much love this ring has seen in it's long life. I hope the ring will see more generations of love while in my care.

Thanks for reading to anyone who made it this far!

What an amazing history and what a privilege to receive a family heirloom such as this. Thank you for sharing!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, @lovedogs - on so many things! <3

Re this precious, precious, precious new ring (I LOVE a wide band!) - I was wondering....

Given that it's already been modified by previous owners, and given that you intend to wear it regularly, is there any chance you'd consider dropping the head down a few mm's? My concern, looking at it, is that one good, solid whack would take the whole head off. Instead of tapered prongs that join at one point on the ring, what if you opened up a small hole in the ring beneath the diamond, and had the diamond dropped right down, so the head of it still sat above the ring (ie so it wasn't bezel set or bead set or anything like that), but so that the prongs were attached to the sides of the hole, rather than tapered and soldered to the top of band, and only very short, and the bottom tip of the diamond was protected by the band.

If it had never been modified, I wouldn't suggest this. But it seems that previous owners have switched it up and put their own spin on it, and it would be heartbreaking beyond words if it was ever damaged.

So, just a thought.

Either way, very best wishes on this next phase of your life - I hope it brings you great joy.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! I am so happy for you! I hope you have a beautiful wedding day and many years together! :D

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!!! What a wonderful story with a ring that represents so many special relationships and memories. Wear it in good health and happiness.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, @lovedogs - on so many things! <3

Re this precious, precious, precious new ring (I LOVE a wide band!) - I was wondering....

Given that it's already been modified by previous owners, and given that you intend to wear it regularly, is there any chance you'd consider dropping the head down a few mm's? My concern, looking at it, is that one good, solid whack would take the whole head off. Instead of tapered prongs that join at one point on the ring, what if you opened up a small hole in the ring beneath the diamond, and had the diamond dropped right down, so the head of it still sat above the ring (ie so it wasn't bezel set or bead set or anything like that), but so that the prongs were attached to the sides of the hole, rather than tapered and soldered to the top of band, and only very short, and the bottom tip of the diamond was protected by the band.

If it had never been modified, I wouldn't suggest this. But it seems that previous owners have switched it up and put their own spin on it, and it would be heartbreaking beyond words if it was ever damaged.

So, just a thought.

Either way, very best wishes on this next phase of your life - I hope it brings you great joy.

Thank you for the suggestion! My partner agrees and thinks it's a great idea to make it more secure. Plus, as you pointed out, it's been modified before so no one will be offended. I just emailed DK about it, as I trust his bench and have had good experiences with them engraving rings, as well as resizing them (which may also be needed).

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, congratulations on your new man and upcoming wedding. So exciting!! But that ring means so much and has so much history in the family. You are so lucky to have it and be able to wear it. May it bring you never ending happiness.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I love everything about this ring! I’m a sucker for history and sentiment. I can’t wait to see more pictures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results