shape
carat
color
clarity

A piece with a 125 year history

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs Every bit and piece of this makes my heart smile! I am so happy for you my friend!! Hope tomorrow’s delivery comes quickly- congratulations
Edited to correct spelling ;-)

Last edited:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy for you @lovedogs! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! The ring is beautiful and made even more special by the sentiment and family history behind it. Looking forward to more pics!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Huge congratulations!!! Wishing you and your fiancé all the best. What a beautiful, meaningful ring. Wear with love!

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring and congratulations to you both!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats!!! and that is a way cool story!! wear the ring with love and pride!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love:So very happy for you that you have found a great guy who is a true partner and soulmate.
Cheers to LOVE!:love:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, @lovedogs - on so many things! <3

Re this precious, precious, precious new ring (I LOVE a wide band!) - I was wondering....

Given that it's already been modified by previous owners, and given that you intend to wear it regularly, is there any chance you'd consider dropping the head down a few mm's? My concern, looking at it, is that one good, solid whack would take the whole head off. Instead of tapered prongs that join at one point on the ring, what if you opened up a small hole in the ring beneath the diamond, and had the diamond dropped right down, so the head of it still sat above the ring (ie so it wasn't bezel set or bead set or anything like that), but so that the prongs were attached to the sides of the hole, rather than tapered and soldered to the top of band, and only very short, and the bottom tip of the diamond was protected by the band.

If it had never been modified, I wouldn't suggest this. But it seems that previous owners have switched it up and put their own spin on it, and it would be heartbreaking beyond words if it was ever damaged.

So, just a thought.

Either way, very best wishes on this next phase of your life - I hope it brings you great joy.

I was going to suggest the exact same thing

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b thanks again for the recommendation about the head. DK is going to secure the head, do engraving, and resize if needed.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b thanks again for the recommendation about the head. DK is going to secure the head, do engraving, and resize if needed.

Wow - very nice! And you're welcome. :)) I wish everyone had engraved their wedding dates inside the band - can you imagine a ring with 3 or 4 sets of wedding dates on the inside as it was passed down from generation to generation? Probably not enough room for that, but - man! - it would have been awesome!

Anyway, I think your plans will bring your flair to it and it will be EXTRA beautiful! Can't wait to see this one.... <3

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - very nice! And you're welcome. :)) I wish everyone had engraved their wedding dates inside the band - can you imagine a ring with 3 or 4 sets of wedding dates on the inside as it was passed down from generation to generation? Probably not enough room for that, but - man! - it would have been awesome!

Anyway, I think your plans will bring your flair to it and it will be EXTRA beautiful! Can't wait to see this one.... <3

Agreed, which is why we are going to get all of the dates engraved. That way the ring will have 4 unique wedding dates, which I think will be incredible (even if the font has to be tiny haha)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, which is why we are going to get all of the dates engraved. That way the ring will have 4 unique wedding dates, which I think will be incredible (even if the font has to be tiny haha)

Gaaaaaah!! That's AWESOME!!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! I am soooo excited for you!!!!!!! Is it crazy i have tears??!! OK, full disclosure I am going through menopause so everything makes me emotional but i am soooo happy for you!!! I actually just got married (my second marriage) this past May (at 49 years old... LOL) and I know how amazing it is to find your partner after heartbreak. I am sooo excited for you! Are you doing a full wedding in July? If so, I need to see your dress and flowers and all that fun stuff!

ETA: ummm... it IS now Saturday..... sooooo we expect pics!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spoiler/Warning: this is not a piece that most PSers would probably choose, but it means the absolute world to me and I cannot wait to see it IRL on Saturday. No, it's not my Octavia haha.

Many of you know I got divorced based on other threads. What no one knows (until now) is that I'm getting remarried in July. He has been one of my closest friends for 3-4 years now, and once my marriage was clearly over we realized pretty quickly that we share future goals, dreams, and are looking for similar things in a life partner/spouse. He is a true partner in every sense, and we live our life as a team. I appreciate him so much.

When he told his mom that we are designing my engagement ring (spoiler: the Octavia is my engagement ring! Yay!), she said she was hoping to give him her mom's ring.

I told my partner and his mom that I would be honored to wear and cherish it as an RHR, and asked her to share the story with me.

This is what she texted:

"This is Mom’s (my future mother in laws mom--partner's grandma's) diamond mounted on my paternal grandmother’s (my partner's great grandma's) wedding ring.

The wedding band has my grandparents initials and date of the wedding 6-16-98(1898 ) **eighteen ninety eight, no idea why it keeps formatting eights as smiley faces**

I wore the wedding band after my Dad died (during the 80’s and 90’s), then after Mom died in 1996 I had her diamond mounted on the band. Dad gave this diamond to Mom sometime in the 70’s."

So this ring has been in the family for almost 125 years(!!!) And comprises pieces from my partner's great grandparents (the band) and grandparents (the diamond).

My partner and I plan to get his grandparent's, parents, and our wedding dates engraved. His great grandparents wedding date is already engraved. In total there will be 4 wedding dates engraved to show the 4 generations of love this ring has seen.

I don't even have words for how thankful I am to be the caretaker of this ring, and cannot wait to wear it.

Finally, pics!

image000001(1).jpg

image000000(4).jpg

For once, I don't care if the cut is ideal, or the band width/design. I love the history and meaning, and smile whenever I think about how much love this ring has seen in it's long life. I hope the ring will see more generations of love while in my care.

Thanks for reading to anyone who made it this far!

love this
and i love the ring and all its family love
and his mom must really love you

these are my favourite sort of threads

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spoiler/Warning: this is not a piece that most PSers would probably choose, but it means the absolute world to me and I cannot wait to see it IRL on Saturday. No, it's not my Octavia haha.

Many of you know I got divorced based on other threads. What no one knows (until now) is that I'm getting remarried in July. He has been one of my closest friends for 3-4 years now, and once my marriage was clearly over we realized pretty quickly that we share future goals, dreams, and are looking for similar things in a life partner/spouse. He is a true partner in every sense, and we live our life as a team. I appreciate him so much.

When he told his mom that we are designing my engagement ring (spoiler: the Octavia is my engagement ring! Yay!), she said she was hoping to give him her mom's ring.

I told my partner and his mom that I would be honored to wear and cherish it as an RHR, and asked her to share the story with me.

This is what she texted:

"This is Mom’s (my future mother in laws mom--partner's grandma's) diamond mounted on my paternal grandmother’s (my partner's great grandma's) wedding ring.

The wedding band has my grandparents initials and date of the wedding 6-16-98(1898 ) **eighteen ninety eight, no idea why it keeps formatting eights as smiley faces**

I wore the wedding band after my Dad died (during the 80’s and 90’s), then after Mom died in 1996 I had her diamond mounted on the band. Dad gave this diamond to Mom sometime in the 70’s."

So this ring has been in the family for almost 125 years(!!!) And comprises pieces from my partner's great grandparents (the band) and grandparents (the diamond).

My partner and I plan to get his grandparent's, parents, and our wedding dates engraved. His great grandparents wedding date is already engraved. In total there will be 4 wedding dates engraved to show the 4 generations of love this ring has seen.

I don't even have words for how thankful I am to be the caretaker of this ring, and cannot wait to wear it.

Finally, pics!

image000001(1).jpg

image000000(4).jpg

For once, I don't care if the cut is ideal, or the band width/design. I love the history and meaning, and smile whenever I think about how much love this ring has seen in it's long life. I hope the ring will see more generations of love while in my care.

Thanks for reading to anyone who made it this far!

opps
forgot to say @lovedogs congradulations to you and your man on your upcoming wedding

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My partners mom brought the ring over today :) I think it would be within 1/4 of my ring size (maybe a 6.5 instead of 6.75-7), but it's super wide so I'll want it resized up about a size. It's a lovely rose gold hue and the metal is SO SHINY. I dont know how it's still so shiny after such a long time.

It definitely needs to be cleaned from sitting in a jewelery box for about a decade. The diamond is definitely reflecting some dirt/grime that I can see needs to be gently scrubbed.

I took pics and then reluctantly gave it to my partner so he can officially propose with it :)

Future MIL is looking for her parents wedding date as she cant remember the year. Once it's on my hand again I'll clean it and send to DK.

Soooooo happy!!!!

Edit: I decided I'm officially going to use it as my engagement ring. My Octavia can be a treasured RHR. But this ring is too precious not to have the most important spot on my hand:)

Last edited:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Oh it does look so shiny and I really like the wide band too! So happy for you and how lovely that you decided to use this ring as your ER.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful and oh, so special! I could not be happier for you!!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on a ring that is not only beautiful and beautiful on you, but has generations of love attached to it! You are truly joining your beloved's family!

My great-grandmother's ring, from about 1908, looks a lot like it. Very broad and still shiny and has their initials inside, but no date. It went to my sister when my mother died, as she is my great-grandmother's namesake.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! Everything about this ring is beautiful! I especially love the history. So much love embodied in one ring. Have you thought ahead to decide whether you are going to add a wedding band, when the time comes? You must have exceptionally long fingers, because as wide as that band looks, it still appears that you have space to add a thin diamond eternity band (just saying.)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Everything about this ring is beautiful! I especially love the history. So much love embodied in one ring. Have you thought ahead to decide whether you are going to add a wedding band, when the time comes? You must have exceptionally long fingers, because as wide as that band looks, it still appears that you have space to add a thin diamond eternity band (just saying.)

Haha I feel like it's as wide as my entire finger! But thank you :) I think it would need to be a super thin band. But I of course love the idea of a delicate diamond eternity!

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful, heartwarming story! And so very gracious of you to wear it as your engagement ring. Nothing could be filled with more love!
Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I love this so much! I am so very happy for you and wish you a lifetime of love and joy!

As someone who just went through a divorce 3 years ago, and found the truest form of pure unconditional love since then, I am beyond excited for your new journey. It makes you wonder how you ever existed prior to finding this wonderful human, right??! Life is funny sometimes. Congratulations and cheers to the next chapter!

Oh, and the ring is gorgeous!

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!! It’s so special that your future MIL wanted you to have this as your engagement ring. And it’s stunning to boot!!

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! And what a treasure you have there!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how did I miss this? A big congratulations to you @lovedogs
I am so happy for you that you found happiness again. And you are showered with love from your new partner and his family. I loved reading the story behind the ring and how much love has gone through it. I am so glad that you are using this as your E ring!! I seriously cannot describe how happy this makes me, just reading this!! I am so glad that you were able to tweak the ring to fit you better as well. Many many congratulations to you.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear it just like that, it’s really fabulous and eye-catching.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Awwwwwwww! Can’t think of more to say. Congratulations :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear it just like that, it’s really fabulous and eye-catching.

I definitely will once my partner officially proposes with it and it doesnt feel so tight haha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results