shape
carat
color
clarity

A hard decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''ll join the over team.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just for the record, we''re all going to h*e*l*l

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:11:16 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Thread has gotten a bit mean-spirited, no?
I agree ... but when you storm out of a room slamming doors & cursing -- would you really expect the folks left behind to ignore the "big scene"/elephant in the room?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Sorry Loves. It''s just that this is the 4th time she has "threatened" to leave/take a break, and it is ALWAYS when she asks for advice and then doesn''t want to hear it.

She started a thread not 3 weeks ago about being low on cash and many of these same things were said about saving money instead of worrying about where to spend it. Would you expect to hear something different?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Well, this thread was good for something. Lucyandroger, I''m totally stealing your idea for our anniversary. I''ve got the day off and we''ll do a staycation!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:15:09 PM
Author: meresal

Sorry Loves. It''s just that this is the 4th time she has ''threatened'' to leave/take a break, and it is ALWAYS when she asks for advice and then doesn''t want to hear it.

She started a thread not 3 weeks ago about being low on cash and many of these same things were said about saving money instead of worrying about where to spend it. Would you expect to hear something different?
Perhaps her dad will come through with a honeymoon trip as well?

::crossesfingers::

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, every time you post you have a different avatar and each is cuter than the last!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:13:16 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Just for the record, we''re all going to h*e*l*l

this made me LOL

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know that even w/the explanation I get the whole over/under thing. Can I buy a vowel? Or get a scratch ticket?

Smurfy, I get that you want to enjoy life while you can, and nobody knows what''s going to happen tomorrow..but one thing you know that''s coming is job loss. Not too many people have so much advance notice, so I think it would be wiser to just save the money. Maybe that extra 1k will not be needed during the crunch time after your job is gone, and in that case, it will still be there later on. If you use it now and need it later, there''s no way to take it back. Better to have it and not need it, I think. And, say you don''t go anywhere and save it, and after the job loss in a few months you turn around and find a kick ass paying job-then you''ll be able to add to the $1000 and take a BETTER honeymoon. It sucks, but sometimes you have to take one for the team and just ride it out. I''ve not been on a vacation since February 2003, so I know what it feels like to want to GO somewhere and DO something-but that''s just not always possible.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:20:21 PM
Author: elrohwen
Fiery, everytime you post you have a different avatar and each is cuter than the last!!
LOL Thanks! I couldn''t figure out how to get it to 96 x 96.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiery, everytime you post you have a different avatar and each is cuter than the last!!

Oh hey! I just noticed that! Keep this one w/the pink hat tho-she''s so smoochable!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:20:59 PM
Author: packrat
I don''t know that even w/the explanation I get the whole over/under thing. Can I buy a vowel? Or get a scratch ticket?

Smurfy, I get that you want to enjoy life while you can, and nobody knows what''s going to happen tomorrow..but one thing you know that''s coming is job loss. Not too many people have so much advance notice, so I think it would be wiser to just save the money. Maybe that extra 1k will not be needed during the crunch time after your job is gone, and in that case, it will still be there later on. If you use it now and need it later, there''s no way to take it back. Better to have it and not need it, I think. And, say you don''t go anywhere and save it, and after the job loss in a few months you turn around and find a kick ass paying job-then you''ll be able to add to the $1000 and take a BETTER honeymoon. It sucks, but sometimes you have to take one for the team and just ride it out. I''ve not been on a vacation since February 2003, so I know what it feels like to want to GO somewhere and DO something-but that''s just not always possible.
Honestly, I think some people just get so stressed out with what''s to come that they react in ways that perhaps isn''t the smartest decision. I think it''s to make yourself feel that despite the changes approaching, everything will be ok. I eat cookies. Smurfy takes vacations.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:23:10 PM

Oh hey! I just noticed that! Keep this one w/the pink hat tho-she''s so smoochable!
Agreed! Love the one with the pink pom-pom hat. She''s such a cutie.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, every time you post you have a different avatar and each is cuter than the last!!
DITTO.

Over.

**Scuttles back over to LIW where she belongs...**

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:17:28 PM
Author: princesss
Well, this thread was good for something. Lucyandroger, I''m totally stealing your idea for our anniversary. I''ve got the day off and we''ll do a staycation!
Woo hoo!!! That''s awesome! Happy Anniversary
36.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:28:30 PM
Author: fiery

Honestly, I think some people just get so stressed out with what''s to come that they react in ways that perhaps isn''t the smartest decision. I think it''s to make yourself feel that despite the changes approaching, everything will be ok. I eat cookies. Smurfy takes vacations.
I do think you''re completely right. However, I''d still try to talk a friend out of doing it, even if it is understandable.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:28:34 PM

Date: 1/8/2010 5:23:10 PM

Agreed! Love the one with the pink pom-pom hat. She''s such a cutie.
Thanks
4.gif

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! This thread took a lovely turn. I''d be willing to bet she does not come back after this......
32.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:18:26 PM

Sorry Loves. It''s just that this is the 4th time she has ''threatened'' to leave/take a break, and it is ALWAYS when she asks for advice and then doesn''t want to hear it.

Perhaps her dad will come through with a honeymoon trip as well?

::crossesfingers::

And don''t forget the pregnancy scare... That $1000 "emergency fund" is exactly one prenatal visit with ultrasound. The avg cost of a birth in the US without health insurance is over 30k, so perhaps a good emergency fund amount would be 30xs larger than what is currently saved.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2010 2:27:46 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
Hudson, we have 2 savings accounts set up, one for our honeymoon and one for emergencies. We put equal money into both each month. However, thank you for the off topic input.
I somehow missed this part. So the amount in your "emergency fund" would be around 1K? I really don't know how to say this any nicer, but even my high school going brother has an emergency fund bigger than yours and he has barely any expenses/responsibilities. You've got to be kidding.

Didn't you almost not buy 30$ shoes for your wedding because you couldn't afford it? Your parents ended up buying it for you. My good lord. My 12 year old cousin has a better sense of his finances.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:31:56 PM
I do think you''re completely right. However, I''d still try to talk a friend out of doing it, even if it is understandable.
Agree also ... but most folks do their naughty, self-destructive behavior alone in the dark, with the blinds closed and hope people don''t find out because of the SHAME! (Perhaps I''m giving too much away here
3.gif
)

Building a float & parading your nekkid dysfunctional self down cyber Main Street and expecting folks to throw confetti? Ur doin it rong.
31.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:42:26 PM
Author: girlface
lucyandroger: What a great idea! And even better, you get to really know and explore your hometown, which I find, not many people actually do!

And Meresal: My family would also be slapping me around right now, if this was my dillemma.
So true! It''s amazing what you discover when you slow down, stop being stressed for a moment, and look around.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:37:54 PM
Author: decodelighted

Agree also ... but most folks do their naughty, self-destructive behavior alone in the dark, with the blinds closed and hope people don''t find out because of the SHAME! (Perhaps I''m giving too much away here
3.gif
)

Building a float & parading your nekkid dysfunctional self down cyber Main Street and expecting folks to throw confetti? Ur doin it rong.
31.gif
You OBVIOUSLY haven''t been by my neck of the woods. I have a 3pm showing of my cooking eating habits on the beach with a special showing at 8pm on Saturdays.

17.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:37:54 PM
Author: decodelighted

Agree also ... but most folks do their naughty, self-destructive behavior alone in the dark, with the blinds closed and hope people don't find out because of the SHAME! (Perhaps I'm giving too much away here
3.gif
)

31.gif
Deco, I just cracked up at "ur doin it rong" LOL

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, I get it. It is frustrating, and that''s why I thought the best advice to Smurfy was just to not post about this sort of thing.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto El. Fiery, if you''re eating cookies and you really shouldn''t be because it''s affecting your health or whatever, as your friend I will snatch those cookies away from you. Or at least verbally berate you until you stop eating them. And I would expect you to tell me when I''m doing something that is detrimental to my long-term goals as well, no matter how much I want to punch you in the face because what you''re telling me means I can''t do what I want.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2010 5:03:03 PM

Date: 1/8/2010 4:57:05 PM
Author: sunnyd

100% agree. Smurfy, you need to get real. Seriously. Having $1000 in savings does not qualify as adequate emergency funds, ESPECIALLY when you both have unreliable jobs (which you are losing!!) and an unreliable car.

Maybe instead of asking questions like these over and over and getting PO''d and leaving when you keep getting the same good advice over and over, take it to heart for once! You''ve around the block here, you know that people don''t tell you what you want to hear.
38.gif
Her arguement is that she has seen too many young people die, and she wants to live life to the fullest.

I would LOVE to introduce her to my brother, who is the exact same way, and thinks that you should only have jobs that you enjoy. He is an increible person, but he has now been laid off 4 separate times, and is currently in his 5th sales job. Finally a good one with an up and coming company.
He is 37 and lives life to have fun. Which means never being able to visit for holiday''s, hasn''t been able to afford a new car EVER, and I just found out that he still gets help from my parents about once or twice a year... usually car related.

At some point you have to stop spending and save a significant amount of money, especially if you want to talk kids and a house.

ETA: I''m kind of surprised with all of the Unders. With the next few days being a weekend, I was worried that the line was too early Monday morning.
3.gif

Monarch- The ''line'' is Monday at 8 am. If you think she will post before, then you bet ''under''... if you think it won''t be until after, then you bet ''Over''.
So. If the argument is dying young...I have a question. And it''s seriously off topic. Smurfy, do you and your DH have life insurance policies? In the event that one of you dies, since you have what you have described as your "large debt" have you thought about what will happen? Either of you could be not only left without your spouse, but left without that person''s income plus saddled with all of that debt, funeral costs, etc. If I were you, I''d be thinking about using some of your savings money to pay insurance premiums. Did your financial counselor bring up planning for the future at all? Or just come up with a strategy for right now? Either way, it is a conversation you might consider having sometime soon.

Meresal, my ex-husband had similar spending habits to your brother. It was awful. And you know what? He has lost the house we lived in, and is filing for bankruptcy now. Because he pi**ed away every single cent he ever earned. He out-earned me times 4 and still "borrowed" money from me constantly. But you know what else? WE TOOK REALLY AWESOME VACATIONS. Totally worth it.
20.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I will even be an awesome enough friend to dispose of the cookies for you
11.gif
so you are no longer tempted!

Smurfy - a rule I hear over and over about building a safe savings is to save enough to have a cushion of 6 months worth of living expenses.

I must admit, right now I am not a rich human being. I''m floating up the poor college student creek, very close to where you are, though not quite there. Mine is mainly due to Christmas depleting my funds, combined with several driving trips across our state, But I''ve installed a plan to build up our finances, and our savings.

one of the best things I''ve heard is to put away 10% of your paycheck every week. I plan on doing this and some hopefully. I do hope you come back, and I do hope that you take the advice to heart, instead of getting mad that others didn''t tell you what you wanted to hear. It''s a tough reality we face in this world. I don''t know WHEN SO and I will get to take a vaca , but I do know that we are going to make sure we have the finances before hand. I wish you the best... and I hope you wake up to what reality is like with finances.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 6:17:03 PM
Author: monarch64

Honestly, I think some people just get so stressed out with what's to come that they react in ways that perhaps isn't the smartest decision. I think it's to make yourself feel that despite the changes approaching, everything will be ok. I eat cookies. Smurfy takes vacations.
I do think you're completely right. However, I'd still try to talk a friend out of doing it, even if it is understandable.
Ditto El. Fiery, if you're eating cookies and you really shouldn't be because it's affecting your health or whatever, as your friend I will snatch those cookies away from you. Or at least verbally berate you until you stop eating them. And I would expect you to tell me when I'm doing something that is detrimental to my long-term goals as well, no matter how much I want to punch you in the face because what you're telling me means I can't do what I want.
LOL! Uncontrollable crying always makes it harder for me to swallow.

Fiery- Definitely keep the poms! She is so stinkin' cute! I'm sure she'd LOVE a lil sibling, and think of the cute family portraits!
31.gif
(I'm trying...)

Girlface- She will definitely be back. No doubt.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 6:17:03 PM
Author: monarch64

Ditto El. Fiery, if you''re eating cookies and you really shouldn''t be because it''s affecting your health or whatever, as your friend I will snatch those cookies away from you. Or at least verbally berate you until you stop eating them. And I would expect you to tell me when I''m doing something that is detrimental to my long-term goals as well, no matter how much I want to punch you in the face because what you''re telling me means I can''t do what I want.

Even if deep deep down inside your heart and soul you know what you''re doing isn''t wise...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results