shape
carat
color
clarity

A hard decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I''m not usually catty, but football season is over, and I''m in a gambling mood...

Over/Under Next Post- Monday at 8am EST

For the record, if I had shared all of the information with my family that Smurfy did with us over the last few months about car and money trouble, my parents would slap me for thinking about taking a vacation when I was going to be UNEMPLOYED!

Makes me wonder why she came here for advice instead of her own friends and family? Maybe she already knew what their responses would be?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:33:02 PM
Author: hisdiamondgirl
Date: 1/8/2010 4:23:14 PM

Author: swimmer

Guys, one of the biggest red flags here is honeymooning in JULY IN ORLANDO? Dear Lord Smurf, that is going to be freaking hot. I lose that lovin'' feeling when its over 90something every day but perhaps NW folks are into that.

Good luck finding a new job!
Please! Tell me about it! !I have to go to a wedding 4th of JULY in MIAMI!!!
29.gif
29.gif
Can I just go nekkid?!?!

Yes! and that comes with an all expenses paid trip to the Miami Dade County lockup!!!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Smurfy, while I originally only answered the question that you asked, I hope that you do take what you are hearing hear to heart.

Sometimes parts of life are harder than others. It seems, from your previous posts, that you are in one of those hard times right now. Your hard times seem to be financially related (job loss, DH job loss in the past, car troubles). It really doesn''t seem like you are in any sort of position to be spending any amount of money on anything fun. This is a hard part of reality for many people. This means, no clothes shopping, no vacations, no eating out, making your own coffee, etc. Not fun, but essential to keep you from drowning, losing what you do own, ruining your credit.

If I were going to be losing my job in 3 months, my mind would be so far away from trying to figure out what trip I should go on this summer. If I had an ill-functioning car my mind would be so far away from trying to figure out what trip I should go on this summer.

What happens if, when you do lose your job, your DH loses his too? Or your car breaks again and is beyond repair this time? Or you get (oooops) pregnant? Or one of you gets sick?

I can pretty much guarantee that if, in your current situation, you DO spend money on whatever trip you decide to go on, that SOMETHING bad will happen. That''s just how life works. And when it does happen, you''ll be kicking yourself for spending money that you could have had.

I think that you should decline the graduation, decline your sisters wedding, and postpone the honeymoon until you have not one, but two FUNCTIONING, SAFE, RELIABLE cars, and two steady, reliable JOBS!

This is just friendly advice, that I hope you do read and consider. I would hate to see you being discussed in the welfare thread over in hangout..
37.gif
2.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:35:30 PM
Author: meresal
I''m not usually catty, but football season is over, and I''m in a gambling mood...

For the record, if I had shared all of the information with my family that Smurfy did with us over the last few months about car and money trouble, my parents would slap me for thinking about taking a vacation when I was going to be UNEMPLOYED!

Makes me wonder why she came here for advice instead of her own friends and family? Maybe she already knew what their responses would be?
I ACTUALLY LOLed at work.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:28:48 PM
Author: fiery
I must get married and become a newlywed asap.
Honeymoon baby
31.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:34:56 PM
Author: rhbgirl24

Date: 1/8/2010 4:27:42 PM
Author: lucyandroger
I have a suggestion. My BF and I have been short on TIME recently so occasionally we do a vacation at home. We clean the apartment (now house) until it''s spotless beforehand and then act as if we''re on vacation. For us that means we get to eat out at fancy restaurants, go shopping in the fancy boutique stores, enjoy a walk around the monuments (we live right outside DC), go ice skating or bowling or catch a movie. Basically, we vacation in our hometown but really relax and recreate how we would be on vacation. It''s great because there''s no travel time and you feel like you can splurge on things because it''s never anywhere near as expensive as actually travelling and paying for airfare/hotel. Just a thought...

Thats a VERY cool idea.... must try that sometime. We haven''t even had a weekend home for OURSELVES in probably 6 months (the only time together has been our honeymoon) so this idea really really appeals to me!!
Ditto! This is hands down one of the coolest suggestions I''ve seen on PS. BF and I are short on time and working to build up our savings, so this is the perfect idea for us! And we''ve got our 5 year anniversary this month. This is the pefect idea, and just in time. Thank you!!!!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:37:41 PM

Date: 1/8/2010 4:28:48 PM
Author: fiery
I must get married and become a newlywed asap.
Honeymoon baby
31.gif
On second thought, maybe not
32.gif

lol

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:36:45 PM
Author: girlface
Smurfy, while I originally only answered the question that you asked, I hope that you do take what you are hearing hear to heart.

Sometimes parts of life are harder than others. It seems, from your previous posts, that you are in one of those hard times right now. Your hard times seem to be financially related (job loss, DH job loss in the past, car troubles). It really doesn''t seem like you are in any sort of position to be spending any amount of money on anything fun. This is a hard part of reality for many people. This means, no clothes shopping, no vacations, no eating out, making your own coffee, etc. Not fun, but essential to keep you from drowning, losing what you do own, ruining your credit.

If I were going to be losing my job in 3 months, my mind would be so far away from trying to figure out what trip I should go on this summer. If I had an ill-functioning car my mind would be so far away from trying to figure out what trip I should go on this summer.

What happens if, when you do lose your job, your DH loses his too? Or your car breaks again and is beyond repair this time? Or you get (oooops) pregnant? Or one of you gets sick?

I can pretty much guarantee that if, in your current situation, you DO spend money on whatever trip you decide to go on, that SOMETHING bad will happen. That''s just how life works. And when it does happen, you''ll be kicking yourself for spending money that you could have had.

I think that you should decline the graduation, decline your sisters wedding, and postpone the honeymoon until you have not one, but two FUNCTIONING, SAFE, RELIABLE cars, and two steady, reliable JOBS!

This is just friendly advice, that I hope you do read and consider. I would hate to see you being discussed in the welfare thread over in hangout..
37.gif
2.gif

There''s a welfare thread over in Hangout???

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I feel bad that this thread went the way it did. I have to say that I agree with most posters.

If I KNEW I had the savings and was secure, I''d choose my sister''s wedding personally, b/c it''s my sister.

And btw, no nekkid... not legal here in the sunny state. BUT good news is we have lots of water parks
11.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:39:29 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

37.gif
2.gif

There''s a welfare thread over in Hangout???
LuckyStar posted something that veered off into welfare.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
lucyandroger: What a great idea! And even better, you get to really know and explore your hometown, which I find, not many people actually do!

And Meresal: My family would also be slapping me around right now, if this was my dillemma.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:37:27 PM
Author: elledizzy5

I ACTUALLY LOLed at work.
I know you want in on this
22.gif

Fiery- Not intersted in the slightest??
9.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:42:26 PM
lucyandroger: What a great idea! And even better, you get to really know and explore your hometown, which I find, not many people actually do!

And Meresal: My family would also be slapping me around right now, if this was my dillemma.

A really awesome point. There are parts of my town I have yet to explore that I would love to!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meresal, I don''t know how to gamble on sports or anything besides blackjack, BUT Monday sounds about right.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock

37.gif
2.gif
100% agree. Smurfy, you need to get real. Seriously. Having $1000 in savings does not qualify as adequate emergency funds, ESPECIALLY when you both have unreliable jobs (which you are losing!!) and an unreliable car.

Maybe instead of asking questions like these over and over and getting PO''d and leaving when you keep getting the same good advice over and over, take it to heart for once! You''ve around the block here, you know that people don''t tell you what you want to hear.
38.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm not usually catty, but football season is over, and I'm in a gambling mood...

If I had been drinking something, I would've spit it out when I read this.

eta: Under

Smurfy, I'm going to have to agree with the others. I too am sorry that your thread went this way, but I think it's a case of posting too much personal information and then expecting people to forget about it when you post something else. I think everyone's advice was valid and I hope you think about it. And think about the "stay-cation" (gosh I hate that word) idea. I think you live in Colorado, right? There are a ton of awesome places you could go without even having to stay in a hotel!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:51:26 PM
Author: monarch64
Meresal, I don''t know how to gamble on sports or anything besides blackjack, BUT Monday sounds about right.
To bet on an over/under, you have to decide whether you think the debated event will happen before or after the line Meresal has set.

Under.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 4:57:05 PM
Author: sunnyd

100% agree. Smurfy, you need to get real. Seriously. Having $1000 in savings does not qualify as adequate emergency funds, ESPECIALLY when you both have unreliable jobs (which you are losing!!) and an unreliable car.

Maybe instead of asking questions like these over and over and getting PO'd and leaving when you keep getting the same good advice over and over, take it to heart for once! You've around the block here, you know that people don't tell you what you want to hear.
38.gif
Her arguement is that she has seen too many young people die, and she wants to live life to the fullest.

I would LOVE to introduce her to my brother, who is the exact same way, and thinks that you should only have jobs that you enjoy. He is an increible person, but he has now been laid off 4 separate times, and is currently in his 5th sales job. Finally a good one with an up and coming company.
He is 37 and lives life to have fun. Which means never being able to visit for holiday's, hasn't been able to afford a new car EVER, and I just found out that he still gets help from my parents about once or twice a year... usually car related.

At some point you have to stop spending and save a significant amount of money, especially if you want to talk kids and a house.

ETA: I'm kind of surprised with all of the Unders. With the next few days being a weekend, I was worried that the line was too early Monday morning.
3.gif

Monarch- The "line" is Monday at 8 am. If you think she will post before, then you bet "under"... if you think it won't be until after, then you bet "Over".

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
do you mind explaining this over/under further? I don''t believe I"ve heard of such?
15.gif
<--- shamed face for being sheltered
25.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:00:30 PM
Author: stephbolt

To bet on an over/under, you have to decide whether you think the debated event will happen before or after the line Meresal has set.

Under.
I''m going with over. Only because her time zone is behind EST so she won''t be at work until later than 8 am EST.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monday huh? Is that further than four hours from now? Am bad w/math. Can we bet on new names? "SmurfyDisproved" has a nice ring about it.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:04:04 PM
Author: dragonfly411
do you mind explaining this over/under further? I don''t believe I''ve heard of such?
15.gif
<--- shamed face for being sheltered
25.gif
The number/time/whatever for a certain event (total points in a game, number of rebounds a player will have, time smurfy will next post) is set by the betting controlling entity. Betters can the place their bet on whether the actual number will be above or below that number, and win money(or bragging rights) accordingly.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:04:11 PM
Author: Clairitek

Date: 1/8/2010 5:00:30 PM

Meresal, I don't know how to gamble on sports or anything besides blackjack, BUT Monday sounds about right.

Under.
I'm going with over. Only because her time zone is behind EST so she won't be at work until later than 8 am EST.
Ya, I messed up when I put EST. I was thinking noon was better. Sorry, hubby is trying to hone my Bookie skills.
16.gif
I'm a work in prgress.

However, that is still taking into account that she could get so mad at this thread she could come back and post almost immediately!

Deco- LOL! We'll just start a new saying... "You're in Smurfy Denial"... "It aint just a river... it's Smurfy Denial"

ETA: Too far...

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I know Mere. Ha, it''s like a damn broken record. Oy.

I say....over. I think I''m the only one.
3.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:03:03 PM
ETA: I''m kind of surprised with all of the Unders. With the next few days being a weekend, I was worried that the line was too early Monday morning.
3.gif
I guess we''re all just a bunch of cynics.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:03:03 PM
Date: 1/8/2010 4:57:05 PM

Author: sunnyd

Maybe instead of asking questions like these over and over and getting PO''d and leaving when you keep getting the same good advice over and over, take it to heart for once! You''ve around the block here, you know that people don''t tell you what you want to hear.
38.gif
Her arguement is that she has seen too many young people die, and she wants to live life to the fullest.

I would LOVE to introduce her to my brother, who is the exact same way, and thinks that you should only have jobs that you enjoy. He is an increible person, but he has now been laid off 4 separate times, and is currently in his 5th sales job. Finally a good one with an up and coming company.

He is 37 and lives life to have fun. Which means never being able to visit for holiday''s, hasn''t been able to afford a new car EVER, and I just found out that he still gets help from my parents about once or twice a year... usually car related.

At some point you have to stop spending and save a significant amount of money, especially if you want to talk kids and a house.

ETA: I''m kind of surprised with all of the Unders. With the next few days being a weekend, I was worried that the line was too early Monday morning.
3.gif

Monarch- The ''line'' is Monday at 8 am. If you think she will post before, then you bet ''under''... if you think it won''t be until after, then you bet ''Over''.

Over and I accept Pay Pal for my winnings.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:10:22 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Over and I accept Pay Pal for my winnings.
We''re betting karats
31.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thread has gotten a bit mean-spirited, no?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
You''ll have to split ''em with me, HH!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:08:05 PM
and win money(or bragging rights) accordingly.
Are you implying that we don''t win money? I was planning to put my winnings towards a vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results