shape
carat
color
clarity

A Catch All Thread for SMTB

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Over in CS forum, a really fun and interesting thread idea was started a while ago - the Catch All Thread, where folks post anything and everything about their projects & gems.
Updates, photos, ideas for pieces, questions and requests for opinions, what item is in the mail, what item you are looking forward to purchasing or dreaming about...

I thought it would be fun to start one over here too, so 'talk about it, or better yet show us' on anything SMTB ! :wavey:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good idea AJ. I'm going to take some pics of my loose estate diamond and post it. I have plans for that one and I'm in the design stages of a custom pendant project now. That's with a different new diamond :).

How's your ring coming along?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl said:
Good idea AJ. I'm going to take some pics of my loose estate diamond and post it. I have plans for that one and I'm in the design stages of a custom pendant project now. That's with a different new diamond :).

How's your ring coming along?

Hey GG,
long time no chat! :wavey:

oohh, you've been busy - looking forward to seeing/hearing more about your estate diamond and custom pendant, please do post.

OEC Ring is all finished, and if I may so so is freakin fabulous! :love: It is really the most beautiful thing I will own, I couldn't have asked for it to come out any better, and the experience with RDG was exemplary.
I will have it early next week - woot!

I should have my new setting tomorrow morning for my 3 stone. I am temporarly changing it to a solitaire and moving the side stones to earrings. I am very excited. I couldn't fully commit to anything and I HAD to have a new setting due to damage in my last one ;( We are 4 weeks away from the wedding and this is just perfect timing.

I also got my sapphire ID jewelry band and I love it!! I have been waiting to post it until my ring is done (so.. a week from tomorrow?) and it's driving me nuts.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
bean said:
I should have my new setting tomorrow morning for my 3 stone. I am temporarly changing it to a solitaire and moving the side stones to earrings. I am very excited. I couldn't fully commit to anything and I HAD to have a new setting due to damage in my last one ;( We are 4 weeks away from the wedding and this is just perfect timing.

I also got my sapphire ID jewelry band and I love it!! I have been waiting to post it until my ring is done (so.. a week from tomorrow?) and it's driving me nuts.

Hi Bean,
thanks for adding your update - looking forward to seeing your new solitaire and sapphire band!
Do you mind if I ask who you went with for the re set?

Tell me about waiting = driving nuts, lol..the lead time was actually comparatively short on my new ring,
but the waiting is still torture :oops:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fun! :))

I'm on the wait for a pair of diamond toe rings - hey, if I'm going to be traditional and wear toe rings on both feet (metti actually is traditional for married women, how marvelous ::) ) they may as well sparkle, right?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great idea.

1. AJ you better post pictures as soon as possible, I have been eagerly awaiting your reset. I adore your style for rings, it is similar to my own, and your diamond is about the size of mine you know :Up_to_something:

2. Gemgirl, loose diamonds laying around?? That is simply not allowed. Diamonds should be worn don't you know?

3. BEAN you are going solitaire? I can't wait! Goodness, you know as a solitiare I bet your rock will attract a lot of attention. I will be curiuous to see.

4. Yssie woop woop toe rings! And where are your wedding photos and update too? I really want to hear all about it. Welcome back, I missed you 8)

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
ooo this sounds like fun! a great way for us to live vicariously through each other until we start new projects of our own :)

right now i am waiting on my engagement ring reset from JbEG. we've been working on it since June and i am dying to see the final product. hopefully i will receive it sometime next week.

my second project is my wedding band which was supposed to be done with my new ering but we ended up coming short on funds. we just bought a house and have been putting most of our money towards that and don't want to cut ourselves to short of money in case something happens. we won't be married til june so we still have time to save up :)

in the meantime, i'm working on trying to build a budget-friendly colored ring to distract me from waiting and adding something fun that won't break the bank. i've been following LOGR on ebay and coming up with cool ideas for a RHR.

Yssie, those toe rings sound like a lot of fun!

i'm also looking foward to seeing everyone's new sparklies ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thanks Dreamer :)) the pics are getting sorted, slowly but surely!

Bean - I also missed that you were changing your ring, I'll be interested to hear how you like your new solitaire, that's quite a change!
Sweetpea - Next week?? That's awesome!! And congrats on your new house! :appl:

AJ - you're making us wait on pictures?? Tease :nono:
That ring has a cult following - so many PSers waiting to see what's at the end of the journey! :sun: :bigsmile:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
AJ - you're making us wait on pictures?? Tease :nono:
That ring has a cult following - so many PSers waiting to see what's at the end of the journey! :sun: :bigsmile:

ha ha, aww yss its not on purpose I promise! I do have a small number of photos of the finished product from RDG, but by Mike's own admission he is a killer goldsmith but not much of a photographer :D
Fingers crossed it should be here early next week, I promise I won't hold out for long!

Dreamer_D said:
Great idea.

1. AJ you better post pictures as soon as possible, I have been eagerly awaiting your reset. I adore your style for rings, it is similar to my own, and your diamond is about the size of mine you know :Up_to_something:

Hey DD, I'll be interested to see the PS reaction actually. It is certainly unique, and I adore that about it!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
fun! :))

I'm on the wait for a pair of diamond toe rings - hey, if I'm going to be traditional and wear toe rings on both feet (metti actually is traditional for married women, how marvelous ::) ) they may as well sparkle, right?

ah, super fun Yssie! I wish I had the confidence to pull off something like that - do you mind to mention who is making them?

sweetpea&babycorn said:
ooo this sounds like fun! a great way for us to live vicariously through each other until we start new projects of our own :)

right now i am waiting on my engagement ring reset from JbEG. we've been working on it since June and i am dying to see the final product. hopefully i will receive it sometime next week.

my second project is my wedding band which was supposed to be done with my new ering but we ended up coming short on funds. we just bought a house and have been putting most of our money towards that and don't want to cut ourselves to short of money in case something happens. we won't be married til june so we still have time to save up :)

in the meantime, i'm working on trying to build a budget-friendly colored ring to distract me from waiting and adding something fun that won't break the bank. i've been following LOGR on ebay and coming up with cool ideas for a RHR.

Yssie, those toe rings sound like a lot of fun!

i'm also looking foward to seeing everyone's new sparklies ::)

Hey sweetpea - wow, since June that is super patient, I can't wait to see your JBeG.
Do you think you will also have them make your w-ring when your funds recover (Congrats on the House BTW!) :appl:

:devil: You know you all owe photos now, right?

yssie- OK diamond toe rings? Awesome! Can't wait to see!!

aj- I agree that I have checked your OEC thread several time hoping to see your new project :devil:

The setting I ordered was from since1910.com it is a stock setting in 18kwg but took about 2+ weeks to make. Due to complications with other online vendors (sending my ring in) this was a good choice for me for a temporary setting. I also ordered some 8 prong stud settings (a la Bliss) from ID Jewelry too.

Sadly, when my setting came in today it was a 7 and not a 7.25. I know it's not a huge deal but 7.25 is THE perfect size for me. I would've sent it back to be sized but I just don't have time. Wedding is in 4 weeks and the ring/ earrings *should* be done in 2 weeks from now, since I guess the place I brought them was super busy. Never ending saga :D I could write a book about the last month of problems I've run into with vendors, shipping, settings, non-working holidays, email, sizing... anything that could go wrong IS going wrong :errrr:

Here is a sneak peek at the new setting.. I know it looks very "prong-y" but it really isn't in person. I am also getting the prongs shaped a little bit (or.. at least I was told they would do it).. :D

Sorry to leave anyone else out, I am about to pass out I'm so tired. Will read more later.. where is the snoozing emotie?

eta: oh flipping bird. This picture is right-side up on my computer. I am not amused that my pictures upload this way :o if everyone could just tilt their head...

photo.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bean I love the new setting! For 1/4 size I would have the jeweler just shave some metal off the inside. You know that is like about half the thickness of a piece of paper right? 8)

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D said:
Great idea.

2. Gemgirl, loose diamonds laying around?? That is simply not allowed. Diamonds should be worn don't you know?

3. BEAN you are going solitaire? I can't wait! Goodness, you know as a solitiare I bet your rock will attract a lot of attention. I will be curiuous to see.

4. Yssie woop woop toe rings! And where are your wedding photos and update too? I really want to hear all about it. Welcome back, I missed you 8)

Oh I KNOW! Mon dieu! They need a home.

The truth is the bigger one (1.21ct J/VS2) estate stone was at GIA getting her birth certificate, and her little sister, a pristine G/SI1 sixty-two pointer has been at WF for a few weeks now waiting for me to finish my pendant sketch. I'll have to work on that this weekend. If I get the shape absolutely right for my pendant stone, I want to turn that halo into a ring for the larger stone next year. But in the meantime....... I've been looking for an inexpensive setting to put it into until I can save the money for the custom mounting.

Bean, I live not all that far from Since 1910 and I was thinking of going over there to look at their stock settings. Would you mind if I asked how expensive your solitaire setting was?

Dreamer- I know.. but when my fingers swell the 7 is tight.. when they are cold a 7.5 falls off.. :wacko: crazy hands.

gemgirl- No problem! So this particular setting they don't sell without a stone. I had picked a different setting that they did sell without a stone (art carved) and was ready to pay for that one, but I guess it didn't come in a size for bigger stones. So... at that point I was ready to pull out my hair, but Brad over there helped me out. I paid a bit over the regular price for the setting. Sans stone it is $445, and I got it for $545.. but then I also am paying $275 to have my 3 stones set in their new home(s) at a local jeweler. I needed to stay under $1000 for the budget, and with the 8 prong earrings I am at $945. Pretty much the first time ever that I have stuck to a budget :naughty:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
bean said:
Dreamer- I know.. but when my fingers swell the 7 is tight.. when they are cold a 7.5 falls off.. :wacko: crazy hands.

gemgirl- No problem! So this particular setting they don't sell without a stone. I had picked a different setting that they did sell without a stone (art carved) and was ready to pay for that one, but I guess it didn't come in a size for bigger stones. So... at that point I was ready to pull out my hair, but Brad over there helped me out. I paid a bit over the regular price for the setting. Sans stone it is $445, and I got it for $545.. but then I also am paying $275 to have my 3 stones set in their new home(s) at a local jeweler. I needed to stay under $1000 for the budget, and with the 8 prong earrings I am at $945. Pretty much the first time ever that I have stuck to a budget :naughty:
hey Bean, I'm the same as you when it comes to finger size and find that quarter makes all the difference -I'm sure my finger varies at least a half size on most days. I am sorry to hear you have been experiencing difficulties with your vendors and purchases, that is never fun :(sad but good for you as it sounds as if you're taking it on the chin and keeping that wedding goal in sight! :))
speaking of budgets, my hat off to ya love for sticking to yours! I made a designated budget for the next year for anything gem & jewellery related, and about 3 months in, its almost all up, lol :lol: But hey, I've acquired some items I've been keen on for awhile so I'm havin fun, so what ya gonna do right - I'll be living vicariously through you gals for rest of the year me thinks ;-) :bigsmile:

My best wishes for your upcoming wedding day lovey, I hope it is everything you wish.

LOL Aj my yearly budget was shot when I started buying pearls... :) I have just been trying to be really good with not buying anything around the wedding. :tongue: I figure the next best thing is just to set a budget per project... :naughty:

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
So fun to hear about everyone's projects! I'm hoping to get to NYC soon to find some settings - the loose stones aren't diamonds, but hopefully I'll find some diamond halos for earrings and/or pendants. I just got bit by the eternity band bug too, but that'll have to wait, especially since I'm cursed with tidal fingers - they swell and ebb on a regular basis. :cry:

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
OH it is so nice to know that I am not the only one waiting on projects... Yup I have 2 in the works :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I should have my new ering setting early next week. Had to have a new ring made due to weight loss. Also wanted to have it done before sister's wedding on October 17.

Also if you look in rocky talk I decided I couldn't stand waiting any longer for one of there bezel eternity bands (Hubby doesn't know about this one :naughty: ) just hoping to add in to the already existing stackers. I have found that I am able to still wear my stackers because I wear 3 or 4 at a time so they aren't too loose.

I am missing wearing my other right hand ring, which is a Simon G Santa Barbara band but need to wait til my weight stabilizes so know what size to make it.

That bring very thing up to date for now. Thanks for letting me share. :bigsmile:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cellentani said:
So fun to hear about everyone's projects! I'm hoping to get to NYC soon to find some settings - the loose stones aren't diamonds, but hopefully I'll find some diamond halos for earrings and/or pendants. I just got bit by the eternity band bug too, but that'll have to wait, especially since I'm cursed with tidal fingers - they swell and ebb on a regular basis. :cry:

Ahhhhhhh! That would be me too, but more to the point, my fingers permanently shifted up a quarter size when I went through menopause. I haven't worn my eternity band since then because I wind up shredding the skin off of my poor knuckle trying to get the ring on and off. (Mine is a platinum channel set and I suspect that also has something to do with it) But..... when I was visiting with Yekutiel, I asked Tami about her wedding set. It was a Yekutiel original. It was a lovely shared prong eternity, both her e-ring and w-band. I mentioned to Yekutiel that I won't be buying another eternity anytime soon because I can't wear the one I already own! He said "no problem, just bring it in when you come back to see us. I can fix that". I asked how? and of course he just smiled, shook his head and said "I have a way, buy whatever you like". And so I am going to bring him my eternity the next time I visit and if his method of slightly enlarging it works? I'll buy another, as long as I know I have the option of having it stretched a tiny bit. Just something to think about.

Meanwhile, I *have to have* that ruffled diamond halo mounting you bought on your last trip. Have you ever seen something and it just stays with you? Just stays stuck in your mind? That mounting is stuck in my head and I won't be happy until I make one of my own. I am SO bad! I'm gonna' have to buy another center stone.....

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bean said:

Thanks so much bean! I can't wait to see all of your stones in their new homes.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i'm waiting for this to arrive...

BrianGavin_Trellis3x3b_092810.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta said:
i'm waiting for this to arrive...

OH Rosetta, I had no idea you were waiting a new BGD setting. Give us the stats please!!! I am sure it is going to be lovely :love:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
the centre is just over 2.5 ct, J SI2 (eye clean, except for a pronged white dot inclusion according to BGD, but i'm yet to see it)

0.4 ct J VS2 sides

it's modelled after yssie's (hi yssie :wavey: ) fabulous ring, but smaller centre, thinner shank. i also asked for the smallest, pointy-est prongs possible.

i wont get it until later this month, but i can't wait! :appl:

i'll leave the rest of the glamour shots till the ring arrives.

it will be my wedding set, worn with a plain band, for when i want a bit more va va voom (i currently wear a 1 ct cushion on a pave band day to day)

thanks for your interest brightice :))

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl said:
cellentani said:

Ahhhhhhh! That would be me too, but more to the point, my fingers permanently shifted up a quarter size when I went through menopause. I haven't worn my eternity band since then because I wind up shredding the skin off of my poor knuckle trying to get the ring on and off. (Mine is a platinum channel set and I suspect that also has something to do with it) But..... when I was visiting with Yekutiel, I asked Tami about her wedding set. It was a Yekutiel original. It was a lovely shared prong eternity, both her e-ring and w-band. I mentioned to Yekutiel that I won't be buying another eternity anytime soon because I can't wear the one I already own! He said "no problem, just bring it in when you come back to see us. I can fix that". I asked how? and of course he just smiled, shook his head and said "I have a way, buy whatever you like". And so I am going to bring him my eternity the next time I visit and if his method of slightly enlarging it works? I'll buy another, as long as I know I have the option of having it stretched a tiny bit. Just something to think about.

Meanwhile, I *have to have* that ruffled diamond halo mounting you bought on your last trip. Have you ever seen something and it just stays with you? Just stays stuck in your mind? That mounting is stuck in my head and I won't be happy until I make one of my own. I am SO bad! I'm gonna' have to buy another center stone.....
Ok gemgirl, we need to talk this weekend!! I'll bring the ruffled halo, lol.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh AJ, excuses excuses :devil:
Re toe rings - ebay specials! We'll have to see how they turn out...

bean - I'm with you on finger size nitpicking! I don't even need a mandrel to tell if something is the slightest bit off ;(

Rosetta - gorgeous ring ;)) is that yellow gold or unplated white?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on wedding bands in early November and I'm waffling on bezel band or a really skinny prong set (maybe fishtail) eternity. I'm getting prices on the teeny fishtail eternity this week. It may be what ends up making the decision for me!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
@ AJ: I've been following your OEC thread and am dying to see how it turned out. I'm sooo excited for you!

@Yssie: I love that you're getting diamond toe rings.

@ Rosetta: :love: :love: OMG...lovely!

I'm waiting to see if SingleStone can modify one of their settings for an OEC and use rose cut diamond melee instead of single cut and, of course, a quote. The setting on their website has single cut melee with a rose cut center stone, but don't want to give up my OEC. ha ha.

rosetta :love: I love that setting... I did inquire about that one too (not through BGD though) .. it's perfect!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparklyOEC said:
I'm waiting to see if SingleStone can modify one of their settings for an OEC and use rose cut diamond melee instead of single cut and, of course, a quote. The setting on their website has single cut melee with a rose cut center stone, but don't want to give up my OEC. ha ha.

mmmmmmmmm :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results