shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW A 5ct OEC Finds a New Home and Some TLC

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is beyond.. congratulations and many more years of great health and enjoyment! WOW...

Reactions: prs

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg its perfect!!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing stone and collection!! Happy 40th Anny too! What a way to commemorate it!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl:F A B U L O U S!!! :appl:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! What a lovely journey to your DW's dream ring!

Congratulations on your 40th anniversary!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOW!! She is a BEAUTY!! Loved hearing your journey in making this fabulous ring possible. Congrats on your 40th anniversary!!
Thank you!

Truly one of the most beautifully cut OEC’s. The re-cutting added even more life and glory to this spectacular stone. You are so lucky! Thank you for sharing all the info about the process and the stunning photos. Please continue to share more pics! Swoon, my heart !

Thank you for the kind words, I do have more photos!

Congratulations on finding the right OEC for you and your DW. It looks beautiful and bright and huge. DK did a lovely job on the setting. It showcases the gorgeous stone perfectly.

Thank you, and yes DKJ did a wonderful job on the setting.

Now THAT'S a ring!

Congratulations, @prs - I'm so glad I could be of any assistance in the creation of such a beautiful jewel! May your DW wear in good health always and may you have many, many more wonderful years!

<3

Thank you so much for your kind words, @mrs-b you are always an inspiration to us! =)2

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2:
Thank you!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! Loved hearing the story of the TLC rehab for this beauty. Congratulations!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@muesli @Aurora26 Thank you so much

Dang that’s gorgeous! :love:
Congrats on your search proving fruitful for you and your wife.
I would love to hear the details of the transformation, when you choose to do so. And to hear how this final result (what a beauty) differs (or not) from what you originally thought you wanted. :)

@Rfisher Thank you! Details will definitely be upcoming shortly. I'm kinda posted out for today. :lol-2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great story for a beautiful diamond! How wonderful to be able to rehab that diamond to its current state. It looks beautiful on her - happy anniversary to you both with best wishes for many happy returns!!

What an absolute STUNNER of a stone and ring!! It is gorgeous!!! Congratulations on your anniversary and I echo others in saying that I would love to read about the search/recut in more detail :D

idealw2boys

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your 40th! She’s a lucky lady with a once in a lifetime diamond to match the worthy milestone celebration!
Beautiful just beautiful!

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
Thud!!! Beautiful! Many congratulations to you both on your 40th anniversary.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond looks great! I love the setting!

Dididudu16

Shiny_Rock
Happy 40th anniversary! I LOVE that ring!!! :kiss2: Thank you for sharing the story of your journey, I’m sure your wife is thrilled by the end result! Enjoy!

ellekay

Rough_Rock
5 cts--yowza! It's like a headlight on her hand. I've fallen in love with OECs recently--these pictures were so great. Congrats on the milestone!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are no words :kiss2::kiss2:

Congratulations on your 40th, you certainly know how to celebrate!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary!
Gorgeous diamond and ring to celebrate this momentous occasion.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just one word to describe it - glorious!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this so much. Happy 40th anniversary to you and your darling wife @prs. :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on 40 years of marriage and on finding the perfect stone (or rather creating it!) for your sweet wife. The stone is stunning and the setting is simple perfection!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! She is a beauty!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow it’s magnificent!!! :kiss2: Your wife is a very, very lucky lady!!! Happy anniversary!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my word IT'S GORGEOUS!!!!!

I am so, so happy for you and your dear wife! I love that the cutter kept so much of the personality of the original stone, just with an improved facet pattern and restoring it to glory. This stone, and your journey, is very similar to my own dearly loved diamond. My OEC was also recut, wound up at 5.03, and is a low N or a high OP. I feel like these stones are such tremendous values, I would take a spectacularly cut OP OEC over a colorless super-ideal every time, and your money goes sooo much further with the OP OEC.

My understanding is the reasons are two-fold. One, the spectacular cut which is returning all the light to your eyes. However, this is not the only reason because a perfectly cut OP OEC will face up a lot lighter than a super-ideal modern brilliant OP. The second reason is that the wide, geometric facets are basically mirrors reflecting your surroundings, to a much greater degree than splintery modern brilliants. If you had an OP-tinted wall mirror, you wouldn't see the tint, you would just see the mirror.

Congratulations!!

Thank you so much for your kind words, and your very informative comments on why some OECs face up so white. This phenomenon of some OECs facing up so much whiter than their base color is so interesting and not fully understood! It's definitely a topic that deserves its own thread.

At the beginning of our search DW quickly found she actually preferred warmer stones, and was perfectly OK going down to an L color. And yes, I'm sure the fact these lower color stones are much more affordable helped influence her decision. :) The idea that we might end up with an O-P stone never even occurred to us. We did have the opportunity to see quite a few L color OECs during our search and found a huge variation in how white they looked face up. We had actually never seen an O-P stone until we saw this one, and it just blew us away. :dance:

For our 25th anniversary, my wife's first ER upgrade was to a GIA 2.05ct G color, excellent cut MRB, so I thought it would be interesting to take some side by side photos. This first one definitely shows why the big difference in the GIA color grades. Fortunately we don't normally view our diamonds thru the pavilion. :mrgreen2:

5.05ct O-P OEC vs 2.05ct G MRB 5.jpg

However in any direct light all my face up photos look like this; it's tough to tell the difference.

5.05ct O-P OEC vs 2.05ct G MRB 2.jpg

In more shaded areas the color does start to show in the OEC, but it tends to be camouflaged by all the color being picked up from the surroundings.

5.05ct O-P OEC vs 2.05ct G MRB 1.jpg

5.05ct O-P OEC vs 2.05ct G MRB 3.JPG

I guess bottom line is my wife is thrilled with her O-P OEC, and that's what really counts!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs I think all of us would LOVE a step by step, leave no detail out, photo heavy explanation of the recut journey. It is a fantastic ring. Thank you for sharing.

Step by step coming soon, I promise.

This exactly--please share more! @prs it is just glorious. I met you and your DW briefly in the middle of one of the cutting stages and thought already that it was one of the most beautiful diamonds I'd ever seen. It seems to be even more so now and looks magnificent on her finger.

Thank you Kim, it was great meeting you, even though we were all masked and socially distanced. =)2 I do hope the project you were working on turns out as well as ours!

Wow! That’s definitely worth the wait and effort searching. Congratulations on a beautiful upgrade and setting!

Thank you!

Stunning in every detail from the stone through to the setting. Congrats to you both.

Thank you. Amy did a fantastic job on the setting.

This is the mother of ALL rings!!! :kiss2:

I love your journey & the details are super interesting to read through, so thanks for sharing. I wish my husband would indulge me like this, but he's tight. That diamond is dreamy - what a character!

Your wife must be completely blown away & congratulations on 40 years,

Thank you so much. DW is actually our CFO and she's the penny pincher! I do get some input, and when it comes to jewelry she often allows me to influence the budget in the upwards direction. :mrgreen2:

Gorgeous. More photos please!

More photos coming!

Beautiful stone and I adore the setting!

Thank you!

Happy anniversary!! And what a journey it has been to find the diamond, recutting it and the amazing setting to put her in. I would love to hear more details about the whole process so please share!

Will be upcoming for sure!

Wow. Just wow.

Thank you!

So happy you ended up with a stone you love! Doing a rehab on an antique stone to make it even more beautiful and safe from chipping is an excellent idea! I am sure your wife is thrilled!

Your fantastically beautiful AVR by Yoram helped provide our OEC inspiration.

Magnificent, fab, gorge!!

Oh, and yuuge! LOVE!!

Thank you so much!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoooooollyyy Moly!!! Gorgeous!!! I'm so happy you're willing to share the whole adventure with us. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy anniversary to you and your lovely wife...and holy guacamole to that mind blowing, incredible, OEC. The setting is perfection and the recut really made the diamond shine. I absolutely love the warm color! My new ring is an O colored diamond too and I think it’s crazy how much they change with different lighting environments. That and how freaking bright / white can they look face up. I bet your DE can’t stop smiling!

AD14182D-E654-423A-8D9C-B153F5DD6BF0.gif

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
THUD! DEAD.
I'm so glad the persistence paid off. What a fantastic result! I'm so glad you left a little wonkiness..I believe that and a slight warmth are the hallmark charm and appeal of an OEC. I'm so happy things worked out this way for you guys!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Happy anniversary to the two of you! 40 years is quite an accomplishment. Here's to 40 more!

I welcome your DW to the O-P OEC club! Hers is absolutely beautiful. How exciting to have given the OEC a face-lift. It never would have occurred to me to have it recut until recently reading @Polyhex thread about hers. Both turned out breath taking!

Thank you for welcoming us to the O-P OEC club. It's a club we didn't even know we wanted to join until we got here! :mrgreen2:

I absolutely LOVE the side view of the ring on your hand. It's beautiful, enjoy it.

Thank you so much. Here's another side view for you. :)

5.05ct OEC Crown 101.jpg

HI:

Your wife has an amazing collection of jewellery. Congrats on your anniversary and this lovely gift.

cheers--Sharon

Thank you for the kind words.

Congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary-that's one stunning ring to commemorate it!

Thank you!

:shock: :shock: Storytime! Storytime!:love::love:
Happy Anniversary:bigsmile:
I want to hear more on the recut journey!
Gorgeous, just gorgeous.

Thank you, story of our recut journey is in the works! :mrgreen2:

Gorgeous humongous beautiful ring!!!!
Happy Anniversary!!!!!

Thank you, I think the proportions of our stone are very similar to your gorgeous beauty!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Wow @prs ,congrats on your 40th wedding anniversary and the beautiful OEC! I’m blown away by
your find and your recut story! I hope to get to own something just as spectacular when I get to my 40th wedding anniversary. Your DW has great taste and she wears the ring beautifully❤️!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results