shape
carat
color
clarity

99.2% of recent US Covid deaths were unvaccinated people

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Disgusting and one sided without a willingness to see through your hateful attitude. I find your comments to be hateful - and yes, in your previous comments you wished people dead. I find this to be a trait of a disgusting human being.

Honestly most people I know wish unvaccinated people would just stay home and let the whim of whatever higher being they believe in take control. For better or for worse.

We had almost 2 months here where surgeries were cancelled. A doctor live tweeted a 20 something person dying of an aneurysm because the ORs were all converted to covid units. I personally know someone who had to wait 6 weeks for cancer surgery and it affected their outcome.

When the innocent are dying because the ignorant are selfish it makes people angry.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
and who can say that a person that has antibodies aren't as protected as one vaccinated?
Well, science and the experts who study the subject(s) do, and have said, just that.
That's what they've been trying to tell us. It's the reason vaccines were developed for many diseases in the first place.
Naturally acquired protection against one variant doesn't translate to the next because of variation. It also isn't as robust. It offers much less protection than one would imagine.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
And for anyone wanting a reality check about what surviving Covid can be like, this eye opening RadioLab episode many of you NPR listeners may have already heard, about medical interventions the general public overwhelmingly thinks of as safe (like intubation) which Drs by the same overwhelming margins say they would never, ever want done to them (they’d literally rather die):

Intubation is a terrible, horrible thing. I have intubated hundreds of people in my career. There is so much that can go wrong. Last week a colleague was intubating a morbidly obese patient (as happens to many of the morbidly obese and unvaccinated who catch COVID) and there was literally a moment when I took a sterile prep to clean the patient's neck so that I could CUT access to his airway if needed (scalpel in my pocket, already). Thankfully the patient was temporized with another airway device until we could get a tube in. Thanks to my colleague, the patient was asking for his/her glasses in the ICU that night.

W

westofhere

Intubation is a terrible, horrible thing. I have intubated hundreds of people in my career. There is so much that can go wrong. Last week a colleague was intubating a morbidly obese patient (as happens to many of the morbidly obese and unvaccinated who catch COVID) and there was literally a moment when I took a sterile prep to clean the patient's neck so that I could CUT access to his airway if needed (scalpel in my pocket, already). Thankfully the patient was temporized with another airway device until we could get a tube in. Thanks to my colleague, the patient was asking for his/her glasses in the ICU that night.

I had NO idea about this till I heard the RadioLab story. Also that doctors overwhelmingly don’t want defibrillation if they have a heart attack—so scary. I think most people, if they knew, would prefer death to brain damage as a result of medical intervention :(

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
As a general aside of being important to note:
93% of all new cases are Delta variant currently.
And Sturgis expects up to 700k people this year.
So we'll be waiting to see what the damage is, I expect.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
As a general aside of being important to note:
93% of all new cases are Delta variant currently.
And Sturgis expects up to 700k people this year.
So we'll be waiting to see what the damage is, I expect.

My guess is that late summer and early fall will look a lot like last year in the Midwest. The surges in Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan were insane. I'm sure it's all coming from Mexico, though, right?

meanwhile my colleague in Maryland took a call from a Florida ER doctor asking if they had capacity to take a transfer. Because he'd called a whole bunch of hospitals in states between FL and Maryland with no luck.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that wishing people dead is pretty bad (excluding mass murderers, dictators, etc). But I would say I don't think @westofhere *wished* anyone dead. What I interpreted was that she hopes that those who choose not to be vaccinated don't take up hospital space that others who cafnnot be vaccinated need. I would 100% agree with her.
+1
BTW, more than one poster has somehow misinterpreted a post as "wishing death" upon another.
It also happened to me in this very thread, see posts # 165 through about 199.

I was mystified at the coincidence of two people making the same irrational, bizarre, and inexplicable mistake in reading comprehension, so I asked my SO.
He immediately said, “Oh, those two posters may have been raised Catholic.”
He was not only raised Catholic, his mom’s a Catechism teacher, so this 'disgusted at wishing death on someone' reaction was no surprise to him.
The Catholic Church’s Catechism, aka CCC, is nearly 1000 pages of Catholic teachings, I presume for the training children and adult converts in the Catholic ways.

Per the CCC wishing someone dead falls under the seven deadly (mortal) sin of wrath.
(CCC 2302–03) Hatred is the sin of desiring that someone else may suffer misfortune or evil, and is a mortal sin when one desires grave harm.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins#Wrath
Here we also see the term 'hatred' connected to 'wishing death on someone'.

I’m not saying both of these posters are Catholic, but religious teachings do find their way into secular American life.
Just look on a US dollar bill.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok I know this sounds heartless but I’ve gotten from feeling sorry for unvaccinated people who regretted not getting the jab and being severely ill or dying from the virus, to feeling quite unmoved about such stories. Not sure if it’s a factor of reading too many of such stories or just losing patience with the unvaccinated.

In case I’m misinterpreted, not wishing death on anyone!! I just don’t feel as sorry for people like that anymore.

Meanwhile, I’m glad that majority of the people in my country is/will be vaccinated. As of 7 August 2021, 69% has completed their full regimen, and 79% has received at least one dose. We are creeping towards the 80% mark! I know I’m lucky to have access to vaccines and to be where vaccine hesitancy is low so that we can finally achieve “herd immunity”.

As a parent of 2 young kids, I hope the vaccines will be tested and safe for kids soon. I don’t think I’ll feel fully secure until they are vaccinated too.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My guess is that late summer and early fall will look a lot like last year in the Midwest. The surges in Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan were insane. I'm sure it's all coming from Mexico, though, right?

meanwhile my colleague in Maryland took a call from a Florida ER doctor asking if they had capacity to take a transfer. Because he'd called a whole bunch of hospitals in states between FL and Maryland with no luck.

Or worse, possibly. Triaged care will become a household topic.
This was just released and hasn't gone through review yet, but it had me wondering how quickly they can tweak the next inevitable round of vaccinations with (most recent and not the last variant)Lambda over here in South America, and looking resistant.

*But can they see Mexico from their porch?:nono:

Vaccine hesitancy plants a veritable variant garden.

W

westofhere

@icyjade, your country is a model for the world to follow. It sounds like you’ll reach herd immunity.

@kenny: that’s fascinating! I suppose the sin is related to “playing God,” which is why Catholicism also callously considers suicide a sin. Ironically, not getting vaccinated (unless doctors advise such) is of course playing God by causing both one’s own death and the death of others—it’s a choice both suicidal and homicidal.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Now put on your bullet proof vest!. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.. :bigsmile:
It's not as though you are in the kitchen all the time. You skip out on lots of direct questions and are only in the kitchen when you deflect or nitpick something else.

I really appreciate your reply. So, knowing what we do know about the mutation rate (thus far), would you say if we were to immunize the entire country (USA) the pandemic would ebb? Or would it continue to flow because what we do in the USA is but a fart in the wind when it comes to breadth of the power of this ubiquitous, totally terrifying virus that we know nothing about.
This is a false dichotomy. I, for one, would say that the virus would continue to mutate, and the pandemic would continue because even if we immunize the entire USA, there's the entire rest of the world that is mostly unvaccinated. I scoff at the sentimentality of the language "totally terrifying virus that we know nothing about."

My personal view is that unless we are able to vaccinate the entire world at around the same time, the virus will continue to mutate. Evolutionarily speaking, the virus will likely become more infectious and less deadly over time, as has happened with the Spanish flu virus and the common colds. Yes, I'm using colds in the plural because there's a large number of viruses we all refer to as the common cold that I've can catch.

However, the number of lives lost before the virus mutates to become less deadly, is the big unknown, so ethically speaking the vaccine would still save lives, even if the virus cannot be entirely eradicated.

I have no faith in free human behavior, so I expect the virus will rage on and take years for the developing world to overcome. And all those restrictions and inconveniences too the world economy will continue so that it impacts an entire generation of people.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not quite, but they will contribute to our total. Our government request each American to get vaccinated in the meantime they open up the southern border. Why would any one take them seriously? :rolleyes:

Q

Queenie60

+1
BTW, more than one poster has somehow misinterpreted a post as "wishing death" upon another.
It also happened to me in this very thread, see posts # 165 through about 199.

I was mystified at the coincidence of two people making the same irrational, bizarre, and inexplicable mistake in reading comprehension, so I asked my SO.
He immediately said, “Oh, those two posters may have been raised Catholic.”
He was not only raised Catholic, his mom’s a Catechism teacher, so this 'disgusted at wishing death on someone' reaction was no surprise to him.
The Catholic Church’s Catechism, aka CCC, is nearly 1000 pages of Catholic teachings, I presume for the training children and adult converts in the Catholic ways.

Per the CCC wishing someone dead falls under the seven deadly (mortal) sin of wrath.
(CCC 2302–03) Hatred is the sin of desiring that someone else may suffer misfortune or evil, and is a mortal sin when one desires grave harm.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins#Wrath
Here we also see the term 'hatred' connected to 'wishing death on someone'.

I’m not saying both of these posters are Catholic, but religious teachings do find their way into secular American life.
Just look on a US dollar bill.

I happen to be one of “those posters “ you’re referring to. And please don’t use my Catholic Religion to make your point. I don’t appreciate this and find it to be quite offensive.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happen to be one of “those posters “ you’re referring to. And please don’t use my Catholic Religion to make your point. I don’t appreciate this and find it to be quite offensive.

Thank you for telling us my SO's theory was correct.
And, even if you're not conscious of it, you've used religion to "prove" your point; it's even the origin of your point.

What is quite offensive is you publicly judging and shaming me here according to your religion's standards when I'm not a member.
Each religion's teachings apply only to its members, or do wear a burqa and stay strictly kosher, and halal etc. etc. etc.?

Again, you might want to read up on reading comprehension.
For the life of me I couldn't fathom how two different posters read X, but saw wishing death on someone.
Now I know.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People have their own views regarding religion. You have stated your views about your faith many times here @Queenie60. Kenny has a different view. Is he not allowed to state how he feels? That hardly seems fair or right. How is it offensive that he has a different view?

Our life experiences shape how we view things. We should all try walking in another’s shoes before judging them. Most often we would stumble in their footsteps.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

Oh yes FL hospitals are hitting records for inpatient admissions, cancelling surgery to turn PACUs into ICUs, EDs full, setting up tents, people who really should be admitted but aren’t THAT bad being sent home, people needing non-covid care are being seriously delayed and there’s no beds for transfers so calling other states… it’s horrific.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not quite, but they will contribute to our total. Our government request each American to get vaccinated in the meantime they open up the southern border. Why would any one take them seriously? :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Nothing has changed around here I see! Just a teeny bit into that article:

"Some flights scheduled to deport migrants had more than 25 percent of passengers test positive before departure, leading Immigration and Customs Enforcement to remove those migrants from the flights for quarantine in the U.S., according to the document."

DF, no one here (except for maybe a few members that enjoy a venue for expressing their ongoing outrage) takes YOU seriously! I suppose it's why many still find your trollish Hangout persona acceptable. Make no mistake, derailing a thread to showcase your xenophobic paranoia is being a classic troll. I suppose every forum needs one; I guess you can be commended for doing it so well and so consistently for so long.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I work in leadership at a hospital. We're at capacity, as are most of the hospitals in the area. The area hospitals have had patients waiting in our ER for hospital beds for hours to days. This is with relatively low Covid hospitalization numbers. This is very concerning for when Covid numbers do start to increase. Sturgis is happening this weekend and I saw photos of thousands of unmasked attendees, so it's only a matter of time until they return to their home cities with Covid.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Sturgis is happening this weekend and I saw photos of thousands of unmasked attendees, so it's only a matter of time until they return to their home cities with Covid.

Didn't you get the message? ... Losing your life is better than losing your freedom.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sturgis is happening this weekend and I saw photos of thousands of unmasked attendees, so it's only a matter of time until they return to their home cities with Covid.

And no doubt some are arriving in Sturgis already infected. Might as well brew a batch of new covid variants as they pollute the air with gas fumes. Maybe they think the gas fumes will kill the virus. Can't wait to see that touted on Fox, OANN, and Newsmax -- inhaling gasoline fumes cures covid!

W

westofhere

Good lord:

“A new public opinion poll from the Economist/YouGov offers additional proof of the mass derangement that is afflicting TrumpWorld and the MAGAverse. Roughly 30 percent of Republicans say they believe it is "definitely" or "probably" true that the government has put microchips in the COVID-19 vaccines.”

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose every forum needs one; I guess you can be commended for doing it so well and so consistently for so long.
Hi Maria, Long time no see! . :wavey: My job is to keep an eye open on all the crazy liberals here especially teachers... ;))

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Good lord:

“A new public opinion poll from the Economist/YouGov offers additional proof of the mass derangement that is afflicting TrumpWorld and the MAGAverse. Roughly 30 percent of Republicans say they believe it is "definitely" or "probably" true that the government has put microchips in the COVID-19 vaccines.”

Oy.
First, just no. Also, needle sizes.
Second, why bother?
They already carry cellphones everywhere.
Third, if they're going to go the woo way, I suggest holding out for InnerSpace tiny submersible awesome. Much cooler.
Stomach_07.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results