shape
carat
color
clarity

99.2% of recent US Covid deaths were unvaccinated people

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happen to be one of “those posters “ you’re referring to. And please don’t use my Catholic Religion to make your point. I don’t appreciate this and find it to be quite offensive.

I'm not religious but I believe in freedom of religion.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm not religious but I believe in freedom of religion.

Would you feel the same way about Americans joining Al Qaeda? Depending on how you count what is and is not religion, self-proclaimed religious organizations can perpetuate lots of misinformation and hate.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Didn't you get the message? ... Losing your life is better than losing your freedom.

Oh my. Have you never seen Braveheart? What a cozy perch you have, living in the freest country in the world.

Give me liberty or give me death? No? Nothing?

DB8A1DAD-4A39-4966-98D4-7FA51A79AA1F.jpeg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Are you trying to say that people have the freedom to make irresponsible and selfish decisions? I say yes, but only to a point that they don't infringe upon the safety or freedoms of others.

Being unvaccinated absolutely infringes upon others.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oh my. Have you never seen Braveheart? What a cozy perch you have, living in the freest country in the world.

Give me liberty or give me death? No? Nothing?

DB8A1DAD-4A39-4966-98D4-7FA51A79AA1F.jpeg
America isn't the freest country.
I hope you've done more than watch the movie, it's super historically inaccurate.
These banner memes and phrase drops are a false equivalence bordering on the nonsensical.
They also weren't 'free'. Even if you qualified as citizenry. At all. You picked the worst examples for your argument.

You fundamentally misunderstand. You're free to make the choice and free to suffer the consequences of said choice. Just like the growing possibility of gov't as well as private business being able to implement vaccine mandates and passports to forcibly protect the populace during an ever more deadly pandemic.
The concept isn't new and is already required for school children or international travel.
You are not free to endanger or infect others without consequence. We've been altogether too lenient about it this time trying to appeal to communal decency.
I suppose we'll have to go back to forced vaccination like we had to do for small pox.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Are you trying to say that people have the freedom to make irresponsible and selfish decisions? I say yes, but only to a point that they don't infringe upon the safety or freedoms of others.

Yes, yes I am saying that.

My body, my choice.

Requiring someone to inject a substance into their bodies that is still awaiting FDA approval infringes on others.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, yes I am saying that.

My body, my choice.

Requiring someone to inject a substance into their bodies that is still awaiting FDA approval infringes on others.

So you're acknowledging that your choice is selfish and irresponsible. Noted.

The vaccines DO have FDA authorization for use. So your attempt at defending your stance is based on faulty information.

"My body my choice" is associated with the freedom of choice for women seeking abortions. So, by association, you must agree with their plight? I certainly do.

Last edited:

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
@hmr_mama , Hard times happen when people don’t listen to epidemiologists, scientists and doctors during a pandemic.

America isn't the freest country.
I hope you've done more than watch the movie, it's super historically inaccurate.
These banner memes and phrase drops are a false equivalence bordering on the nonsensical.
They also weren't 'free'. Even if you qualified as citizenry. At all. You picked the worst examples for your argument.

You fundamentally misunderstand. You're free to make the choice and free to suffer the consequences of said choice. Just like the growing possibility of gov't as well as private business being able to implement vaccine mandates and passports to forcibly protect the populace during an ever more deadly pandemic.
The concept isn't new and is already required for school children or international travel.
You are not free to endanger or infect others without consequence. We've been altogether too lenient about it this time trying to appeal to communal decency.
I suppose we'll have to go back to forced vaccination like we had to do for small pox.

It's hard to take a source seriously that lists Hong Kong as the freest economy in the world. I mean, come on.

Yes, Braveheart is historically inaccurate. Got it. I was really getting at men (and women) the world over have sacrificed everything for freedom. It's sad that a little bit of fear can make people forget that.

I do understand. Free to choose, free to suffer the consequences. And you also, were free to choose to inject yourself and you're free to suffer consequences.

Communal decency, by the looks of this thread, is an oxymoron.

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to take a source seriously that lists Hong Kong as the freest economy in the world. I mean, come on.

Yes, Braveheart is historically inaccurate. Got it. I was really getting at men (and women) the world over have sacrificed everything for freedom. It's sad that a little bit of fear can make people forget that.

I do understand. Free to choose, free to suffer the consequences. And you also, were free to choose to inject yourself and you're free to suffer consequences.

Your first and third points, I can applaud, but the others don't make sense. Fear makes people forget the sacrifices made for freedom? It would make sense if you're talking about fear of retaliation from oppressive regimes, but from context you seen to be talking about coronavirus?

You yourself may choose to not vaccinate because you're not afraid of the virus, but I would like to point out a good number of the unvaccinated are also making their choice based on fear. By extension, those who vaccinate are afraid of the virus, what's those who don't vaccinate are afraid of the vaccine. I don't see many choosing not to vaccinate as their ultimate expression of freedom.

Oxymoron involves putting opposites together. Communal and decency are not opposites, so therefore you have misused the term of oxymoron.

If decency is what you expect of a commune, then no one is more decent than the Communists by that line of reasoning? I think you're trying to sound smart with the oxymoron claim while not keeping your head cool in the kitchen.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you feel the same way about Americans joining Al Qaeda? Depending on how you count what is and is not religion, self-proclaimed religious organizations can perpetuate lots of misinformation and hate.
No, not if they join to support terrorism...:nono:. Most Muslims aren't terrorists.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was really getting at men (and women) the world over have sacrificed everything for freedom. It's sad that a little bit of fear can make people forget that.

I'm not even sure what you mean by the first bolded phrase, but the only sense I can make of what this sentence might mean is that you are saying that it's worth giving up your life, to have the freedom not to be vaccinated. Is that what you are saying?

Your second statement might make sense if it only impacted the individual, but we know that's not the case of what we are talking about here, a potentially deadly virus. So aren't you really saying that not only are you free to suffer the consequences of getting ill, but you are also free to make others suffer the consequences for your actions? If you get sick and need a hospital bed, you are very likely taking that bed from someone who needs it for a different reason, and if vaccinated, you probably wouldn't have the need. So your choice certainly can make others suffer consequences, whether you are willing to acknowledge that or not.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Your first and third points, I can applaud, but the others don't make sense. Fear makes people forget the sacrifices made for freedom? It would make sense if you're talking about fear of retaliation from oppressive regimes, but from context you seen to be talking about coronavirus?

Yes, I couldn't possibly be talking about the fear of retaliation from oppressive regimes. That's clearly not the road we're headed toward.
You yourself may choose to not vaccinate because you're not afraid of the virus, but I would like to point out a good number of the unvaccinated are also making their choice based on fear. By extension, those who vaccinate are afraid of the virus, what's those who don't vaccinate are afraid of the vaccine. I don't see many choosing not to vaccinate as their ultimate expression of freedom.

I see your point. Fear is bipartisan. Your truth is subjective. Their truth is subjective. We'd be a lot better off if we realized that none of us are 100% right.
Oxymoron involves putting opposites together. Communal and decency are not opposites, so therefore you have misused the term of oxymoron.

If decency is what you expect of a commune, then no one is more decent than the Communists by that line of reasoning? I think you're trying to sound smart with the oxymoron claim while not keeping your head cool in the kitchen.

I do realize what an oxymoron is. The community here and decency ARE opposites. I was saying communal decency is an oxymoron in PS land. Your communist comment is a stretch. The word communal isn't a direct reference to communism. It refers to anyone within a community. I think we all expect a fair amount of decency within our communities. Would you like me to stir the gravy?

You'll be thrilled to know that this will be my last post in this thread. It's been fun, but I must get back to the land of the living.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll be thrilled to know that this will be my last post in this thread. It's been fun, but I must get back to the land of the living.
1237346uf0ylvkf5u.gif ...don't give in to the herd!. Put on your bullet proof vest and. boxinggy2.gif

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

Aren’t you the one who’s afraid of a vaccine?

It’s sad that brilliant men and women have fought so hard to end this pandemic and a little fear is going to make it drag on and on.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My point exactly!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the topic of ignorance.

069E5F56-07C0-46F5-8DB2-7500B615BA60.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Interesting…
I can't say that I blame them.

Expect much more of this.
Also, some concerning news out of Mississippi

Last edited:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

More to debunk the notion that only the elderly need to be concerned about this......​

More than 5,000 Florida students isolate or quarantine because of a school district’s covid-19 spike​

A Florida school board is set to hold an emergency meeting this week to consider a mask mandate as more than 5,000 students and hundreds of employees in its district are in isolation or quarantine because of a surge in coronavirus cases and possible exposure.

Hillsborough County Public Schools, which includes Tampa, said Monday that 5,599 of the district’s students and 316 of its staff were either in isolation because of a positive test or in quarantine after coming into close contact with someone who tested positive.
The meeting Wednesday comes as the district’s case count, which stands at around 730, is nearly 20 times higher than it was at the same time last year.

“We’re at that place,” the board’s chair, Lynn Gray, told the Tampa Bay Times. “It’s unavoidable.”
Tanya Arja, a spokesperson for Hillsborough County Public Schools, told The Washington Post on Tuesday that the district is following quarantine and isolation guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Florida Department of Health. The CDC recommends that people should quarantine for 14 days after their last contact with someone who tested positive, while those in isolation should be at home at least 10 days since symptoms first appeared.

The meeting will cover mitigation strategies “up to and including mandatory face coverings for all students and staff,” according to the district, which is one of the largest in the country. The Hillsborough County district had about 220,000 students in the last school year. If enrollment rates were similar this year, about 2.5 percent of the district’s students were homebound as of Monday because of outbreaks.

Florida is in the midst of a record-breaking stretch of coronavirus cases, averaging more than 21,700 new cases, according to data compiled by The Post. With more than 16,800 Floridians hospitalized for covid-19, the state accounts for nearly 1 in 5 of the nation’s total hospitalizations.
An analysis by The Post last week found that more than 10,000 students and staff across 14 states have been exposed to the virus this school year.

A mask mandate in the district would violate an order from Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) prohibiting schools from requiring face coverings. After initially threatening to withhold school officials’ salaries if they resisted his anti-mask rule, DeSantis recently backed down, saying school officials pushing for masks should be responsible for the “consequences of their decisions.”

Some parents worry Florida schools aren't doing enough to protect their kids from the coronavirus as Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) doubles down on his mask mandate ban. (Drea Cornejo/The Washington Post)
The Biden administration last week offered federal funds to school administrators in Florida if the governor made good on his threats. Education Secretary Miguel Cardona wrote in a letter to DeSantis and Richard Corcoran, the state’s education commissioner, that the U.S. Education Department “stands with these dedicated educators who are working to safely reopen schools and maintain safe in-person instruction.”

If the board enacts a mask mandate, it will join a handful of other state school systems that have defied the governor’s order. Officials with Miami-Dade, Florida’s largest school system, said it would join other school districts Monday in requiring masks for students when classes start next week. Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho noted that when the mandate is official, students could opt out only for medical reasons.

Hillsborough County resident Amy Nell is one of the Florida parents suing DeSantis, contending that the governor’s restriction on mask mandates and other mitigation measures will risk the health of people in the state, including children resuming class in the fall. Nell told The Post last week that she had received daily notifications of new cases in the first four days of school.

“It’s nerve-racking to expect that call or text from the front office every day that more kids are sick, and that at some point, we will undoubtedly have to quarantine,” Nell said.

The scheduled meeting in Hillsborough County will come days after several educators in Broward County died of covid-19 within a 24-hour stretch. Addison Davis, the superintendent of Hillsborough County Public Schools, tweeted over the weekend that the district hoped the community would continue to practice safety measures to help protect students.

“We’re going to make sure we still follow every statutory requirement, all the legal ramifications,” Davis told MSNBC last week. “But at the same time show that sensitivity with covid in our community and put mitigation strategies to be successful.”
The mask requirement being considered in the Hillsborough County district would be effective through at least Sept. 3, officials said.

“The most important thing is the welfare of our children getting this virus,” board chair Gray said to the Times. “That’s my major concern, and that’s it.”

elizat

Ideal_Rock

More to debunk the notion that only the elderly need to be concerned about this......​

More than 5,000 Florida students isolate or quarantine because of a school district’s covid-19 spike​

A Florida school board is set to hold an emergency meeting this week to consider a mask mandate as more than 5,000 students and hundreds of employees in its district are in isolation or quarantine because of a surge in coronavirus cases and possible exposure.

Hillsborough County Public Schools, which includes Tampa, said Monday that 5,599 of the district’s students and 316 of its staff were either in isolation because of a positive test or in quarantine after coming into close contact with someone who tested positive.
The meeting Wednesday comes as the district’s case count, which stands at around 730, is nearly 20 times higher than it was at the same time last year.

“We’re at that place,” the board’s chair, Lynn Gray, told the Tampa Bay Times. “It’s unavoidable.”
Tanya Arja, a spokesperson for Hillsborough County Public Schools, told The Washington Post on Tuesday that the district is following quarantine and isolation guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Florida Department of Health. The CDC recommends that people should quarantine for 14 days after their last contact with someone who tested positive, while those in isolation should be at home at least 10 days since symptoms first appeared.

The meeting will cover mitigation strategies “up to and including mandatory face coverings for all students and staff,” according to the district, which is one of the largest in the country. The Hillsborough County district had about 220,000 students in the last school year. If enrollment rates were similar this year, about 2.5 percent of the district’s students were homebound as of Monday because of outbreaks.

Florida is in the midst of a record-breaking stretch of coronavirus cases, averaging more than 21,700 new cases, according to data compiled by The Post. With more than 16,800 Floridians hospitalized for covid-19, the state accounts for nearly 1 in 5 of the nation’s total hospitalizations.
An analysis by The Post last week found that more than 10,000 students and staff across 14 states have been exposed to the virus this school year.

A mask mandate in the district would violate an order from Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) prohibiting schools from requiring face coverings. After initially threatening to withhold school officials’ salaries if they resisted his anti-mask rule, DeSantis recently backed down, saying school officials pushing for masks should be responsible for the “consequences of their decisions.”

Some parents worry Florida schools aren't doing enough to protect their kids from the coronavirus as Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) doubles down on his mask mandate ban. (Drea Cornejo/The Washington Post)
The Biden administration last week offered federal funds to school administrators in Florida if the governor made good on his threats. Education Secretary Miguel Cardona wrote in a letter to DeSantis and Richard Corcoran, the state’s education commissioner, that the U.S. Education Department “stands with these dedicated educators who are working to safely reopen schools and maintain safe in-person instruction.”

If the board enacts a mask mandate, it will join a handful of other state school systems that have defied the governor’s order. Officials with Miami-Dade, Florida’s largest school system, said it would join other school districts Monday in requiring masks for students when classes start next week. Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho noted that when the mandate is official, students could opt out only for medical reasons.

Hillsborough County resident Amy Nell is one of the Florida parents suing DeSantis, contending that the governor’s restriction on mask mandates and other mitigation measures will risk the health of people in the state, including children resuming class in the fall. Nell told The Post last week that she had received daily notifications of new cases in the first four days of school.

“It’s nerve-racking to expect that call or text from the front office every day that more kids are sick, and that at some point, we will undoubtedly have to quarantine,” Nell said.

The scheduled meeting in Hillsborough County will come days after several educators in Broward County died of covid-19 within a 24-hour stretch. Addison Davis, the superintendent of Hillsborough County Public Schools, tweeted over the weekend that the district hoped the community would continue to practice safety measures to help protect students.

“We’re going to make sure we still follow every statutory requirement, all the legal ramifications,” Davis told MSNBC last week. “But at the same time show that sensitivity with covid in our community and put mitigation strategies to be successful.”
The mask requirement being considered in the Hillsborough County district would be effective through at least Sept. 3, officials said.

“The most important thing is the welfare of our children getting this virus,” board chair Gray said to the Times. “That’s my major concern, and that’s it.”

So I live in the county mentioned.

National news has part of this wrong.

Hillsborough County did a work around. Masks are mandated unless the parent opts out with a signed form. This policy was required on day one of school.

The national news hasn't been good with reporting the full data for Florida across the board. The school board is actually holding another meeting to determine whether or not to make the mask policy stronger, not to try to weaken the policy.

Fwiw, we have a 14-year-old in high school. About 75% of the kids at his school and teachers are wearing masks. Around 25% opted out.

So while technically it's not 100% a mandate, parents do have to opt out and the vast majority are wearing masks, at least at the school that the kid in our house attends.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Delta variant is being compared to the chicken pox in regards to how easily it is transmitted. If 25% percent are opting out of wearing a mask, that is a huge problem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results