shape
carat
color
clarity

8 CARAT ETERNITY BAND HELP! 3/4 or FULL?

AVETTE001

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies..

I need some help and suggestions on a 0.7 cts (each) emerald cut eternity band...
I'm a size 4 ring size and not the most graceful lady... I manage to damage a lot of things!
That said, I'm debating between a 3/4 or full eternity band and was wondering a few things:

1. Are the larger stone eternity bands uncomfortable? I'm leaning more towards the gallery setting as per photo below.
2. Have any of you damaged any of the stones in your eternity band?
3. For this size, do you suggest a full or 3/4 eternity band? For comfort, aesthetic, and practical reasons

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 5.57.32 PM.png

Thanks so much for all your advice and suggestions! really appreciate it!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I will speak on full eternity verse half. It’s personal preference and my vote was always for full eternity. I always loved their timeless look and still do. Having said that and also have owned full eternity pieces I now lean towards half. With age and becoming a mother years ago my ring size changed. So that’s why I now look at half eternity in case I need to resize.
Also, at this carat weight have you tried on the ring and see if you like it i.e., comfortable or not? I’m sure ladies here can chime in on that

AVETTE001

Rough_Rock
I will speak on full eternity verse half. It’s personal preference and my vote was always for full eternity. I always loved their timeless look and still do. Having said that and also have owned full eternity pieces I now lean towards half. With age and becoming a mother years ago my ring size changed. So that’s why I now look at half eternity in case I need to resize.
Also, at this carat weight have you tried on the ring and see if you like it i.e., comfortable or not? I’m sure ladies here can chime in on that

Thanks so much for your input. I have tried the 70 pointers on, but unfortunately the actual size of the rings have been too big so I can't really tell. I'm a 4 ring size and usually it's size 6 or 7 in stores...

Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
There is the issue of sizing, as mentioned above to consider. Also, some people just don't like the feel of such "thickness" between the fingers, depending on how far down you go on each side. It is definitely something to get accustomed to. Your question of damage is the precise reason why some advise against a full eternity... stones on the underside of the hand can easily get damaged. You said you are not the most graceful... full diamond eternities probably aren't for wearing through all of one's daily tasks. So, definitely things to consider. I think you already know your answer ;-)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the aesthetic standpoint, I would prefer a full eternity over a 3/4 eternity. However, many choose the 3/4 because of the possible sizing issues in the future. An eight carat eternity band would be huge and thick between the fingers. It just wouldn't be - in my opinion - an every day wear ring. As others have said, the stones on the palm side of the hand would be in constant jeopardy from door knobs, car handles, grocery carts, etc. I would not go to the expense of having a ring like this made unless I could get some idea regarding the its comfort. If it's not comfortable or practical, it will probably spend the majority of time in the box. Just some food for thought.

I also notice that you are listed as being in the trade - do you not have any way of having a wax of the ring made to give you some idea?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
From the aesthetic standpoint, I would prefer a full eternity over a 3/4 eternity. However, many choose the 3/4 because of the possible sizing issues in the future. An eight carat eternity band would be huge and thick between the fingers. It just wouldn't be - in my opinion - an every day wear ring. As others have said, the stones on the palm side of the hand would be in constant jeopardy from door knobs, car handles, grocery carts, etc. I would not go to the expense of having a ring like this made unless I could get some idea regarding the its comfort. If it's not comfortable or practical, it will probably spend the majority of time in the box. Just some food for thought.

GREAT advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AVETTE001

Rough_Rock

I also notice that you are listed as being in the trade - do you not have any way of having a wax of the ring made to give you some idea?

I'm not in the trade that was a mistake on my part .. I just signed up on this site so will update that info! I will be wearing the eternity ring as my engagement ring and pairing it with a plain thin band (wedding band) which is why I decided to go a bit bigger. I do agree that perhaps it's not an every day ring to be wearing..

To your point, the next step should indeed be moving forward with the wax mold, but I wanted to get some opinions from others beforehand. If most people damaged the diamonds, then I'd probably reconsider the decision. I'm not much of of a diamond person, so don't have that much experience.

Much to consider on my end, thanks for your input!

Last edited:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock

This.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not in the trade that was a mistake on my part .. I just signed up on this site so will update that info! I will be wearing the eternity ring as my engagement ring and pairing it with a plain thin band (wedding band) which is why I decided to go a bit bigger. I do agree that perhaps it's not an every day ring to be wearing.. All things to consider thanks so much for your input!

When I was in college I babysat for a very well to do family. The wife did not wear an ER. She wore a gorgeous emerald cut eternity ring. That gorgeous band was an inspo for me for a “someday ring” and also when I fell in love with EC. It was a stunning piece. She also wore her eternity band with a plain plat wedding ring. The same look you want. Simple yet super elegant & timeless too. Her band was substantial but not that big. Maybe 3 carats or so. I would try different carat sizes bc personally, if a ring sticks out too much on the side and rubs my other fingers it’s not comfortable for everyday for me.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I love full eternities for their timeless aesthetic and the fact thst my rings spin a lot and prefer not to see a gap. I have a couple of them: asschers (semi bezels) and carre (channel setting).

yes, resizing them is a problem.

i knew that when I got them. It was a hard financial decision to make recently to increase the size due to age and weight gain...

these eternities are occasional wear... though sometimes I wear them for weeks on end... I have several ring options, so I do rotate them frequently. I do baby them... I don’t wear them when cleaning around house or in the kitchen.

I rarely work in the garden, so that helps in preserving my rings! Lol.

Including metal- the width is 5mm and the height is about 3mm. My eternities and my solitaire bands “match”, so the feeling in between fingers are quite comfortable.

with your 0.7 Carat each emerald stone with average measurements of 5.93×4.39×2.85mm from google, there may or may ormay not have issues with comfort between fingers. You are going to pair it with a thin wedding band, if I recall... and in doing so, it may cause the feeling of the eternity to be more proud than the wedding band. It may or may not be an issue with comfort and feel between the fingers.

you say thst you damage things easily, so there could be more so, given the small size of your finger the bigger size of stones and ring that you are considering, I would consider a 5-7stone ring instead of full eternity. The way thst these are set sometimes sit nicely that the spin is minimal. Here is a profile view of what it could look like.

However, I would consider checking out eBay to see if there is something similar that you are after to try it on to know if that kinda setting suits/
Feels ok for you, before making purchase. I also understand thst yiu would be looking at getting a wax pattern/ mould made with a jeweler... as long as the jeweler understands thst you may change your mind to either a smaller size eternity or scrap the project cos of your comfort level.

And as you may already know- emerald/ step cuts are more prone to seeing the fingerprints... they are broad facets v smaller facets of say the MRB... this means more cleaning!! Lol.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not in the trade that was a mistake on my part .. I just signed up on this site so will update that info! I will be wearing the eternity ring as my engagement ring and pairing it with a plain thin band (wedding band) which is why I decided to go a bit bigger. I do agree that perhaps it's not an every day ring to be wearing..

To your point, the next step should indeed be moving forward with the wax mold, but I wanted to get some opinions from others beforehand. If most people damaged the diamonds, then I'd probably reconsider the decision. I'm not much of of a diamond person, so don't have that much experience.

Much to consider on my end, thanks for your input!

I am sure that you will end up with a gorgeous band - I just hope that it will be something that you can love and enjoy every day! That look can be so elegant!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Greg... if you think you are rough on your jewelry, I would consider a big five-stone or seven-stone rather than a full eternity, if you want it to be an everyday ring.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DW is very sensitive to stones between her fingers and found it impossible to wear an eternity band. We looked closely into this and found that 1/2 rather than 3/4 was much more comfortable. These are photos of our ruby and diamond band, the stones cover only the top half of the band.

Ruby Band DK 2 (2).jpg Ruby Band DK 4 (2).jpg

DW finds this ring very comfortable to wear. You can see from this photo that any greater coverage would extend down between the fingers.

Ruby Band 6.jpg

Attachments

• Ruby Band DK 4.jpg
    Ruby Band DK 4.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Ruby Band DK 3.jpg
    Ruby Band DK 3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 36

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This really is my favorite style, but I second @canuk-gal . Especially since the ring is a significant piece, it is worth trying on a wax model (they are slightly bulkier than the finished ring, if not tremendously - this is something to ask about), I can testify that it is possible to wish for smaller diamonds for this type of ring for a good fit. Else, the emerald cuts could be narrower and less deep, but I hardly ever see such proportions between those typical for Emerald cuts & for Baguettes www (not step cuts, but narrower/longer: www).

2p

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... fishing for business...

As a member of the Trade, you cannot fish for business on this forum - as per the Terms and Conditions you signed up for when joining.

Admin should be along shortly to nuke your post but we welcome input on technical aspects of diamonds and jewellery if you would like to stick around.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of my diamond bands are 1/2-3/4. I wear them EVERY. Day. I ♥ Eternity bands, but I’m practical. I use my hands a lot at work, and it’s just not wise to wear such a delicate piece and risk the damage.

My WR is 3/4 and I, inevitably, have to have the side stones tightened from time to time because they get knocked around more than the other stones.
My finger size is 5.5. I wear 5.75-6 size rings to allow for swelling in the summer months.

I will be launching a 7 stone project, down the road. I opted for 0.25ct (each) Vintage Cut Asschers from Yoram due to size and comfort. I tried on several different sized stones, and anything over 0.30 was uncomfortable between my fingers. Even these smaller stones will cover 3/4 of my size 5.5 finger, set in a size 5.75-6 ring.

At size 4, 5 stones should cover 3/4 of your finger. 7 stones should equate to a full or near-full eternity.

My pinkie finger is a size 3.75-4. I cannot imagine a ring with the proportions you’re proposing on that finger...ever. It would be uncomfortable, and drive me insane; it’s just too much, and too heavy. But....that’s ME.

An idea I would propose, due to the proportions of the EC’s you intend to use would be to set them E-W, instead of N-S. Especially, since you’ll be wearing a band with this glorious, blingalicious piece.

Here are the threads re: my set, and my Asschers, just to give you an idea of proportion....

AVETTE001

Rough_Rock
I love full eternities for their timeless aesthetic and the fact thst my rings spin a lot and prefer not to see a gap. I have a couple of them: asschers (semi bezels) and carre (channel setting).

yes, resizing them is a problem.

i knew that when I got them. It was a hard financial decision to make recently to increase the size due to age and weight gain...

these eternities are occasional wear... though sometimes I wear them for weeks on end... I have several ring options, so I do rotate them frequently. I do baby them... I don’t wear them when cleaning around house or in the kitchen.

I rarely work in the garden, so that helps in preserving my rings! Lol.

Including metal- the width is 5mm and the height is about 3mm. My eternities and my solitaire bands “match”, so the feeling in between fingers are quite comfortable.

with your 0.7 Carat each emerald stone with average measurements of 5.93×4.39×2.85mm from google, there may or may ormay not have issues with comfort between fingers. You are going to pair it with a thin wedding band, if I recall... and in doing so, it may cause the feeling of the eternity to be more proud than the wedding band. It may or may not be an issue with comfort and feel between the fingers.

you say thst you damage things easily, so there could be more so, given the small size of your finger the bigger size of stones and ring that you are considering, I would consider a 5-7stone ring instead of full eternity. The way thst these are set sometimes sit nicely that the spin is minimal. Here is a profile view of what it could look like.

However, I would consider checking out eBay to see if there is something similar that you are after to try it on to know if that kinda setting suits/
Feels ok for you, before making purchase. I also understand thst yiu would be looking at getting a wax pattern/ mould made with a jeweler... as long as the jeweler understands thst you may change your mind to either a smaller size eternity or scrap the project cos of your comfort level.

And as you may already know- emerald/ step cuts are more prone to seeing the fingerprints... they are broad facets v smaller facets of say the MRB... this means more cleaning!! Lol.

I’m waiting for a size 4 faux version from Italo but it’s taking forever! Hopefully that’ll give me a better idea from a comfort perspective. I think I’ll try that on for a week or so and see how that goes before proceeding with the mold ..

Last edited:

AVETTE001

Rough_Rock
I agree with Greg... if you think you are rough on your jewelry, I would consider a big five-stone or seven-stone rather than a full eternity, if you want it to be an everyday ring.

What I love about eternity bands is the 360 “shine” that it has. After reading all the comments I’m now more leaning towards 3/4 version... but I’m wondering is there a way to add some “shine” to the 1/4 solid band portion? Perhaps pave or rows of smaller diamonds? Has that been done and is it even possible? Will the continuation from large stone to band with smaller stones be smooth or will it give an odd look?

AVETTE001

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I did try some EW versions on but I didn’t like the look. I was told it would around 12 stones or so for a full eternity band .. but these are just estimates they won’t know until they make the mold. And for 3/4 perhaps 10 stones

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I love about eternity bands is the 360 “shine” that it has. After reading all the comments I’m now more leaning towards 3/4 version... but I’m wondering is there a way to add some “shine” to the 1/4 solid band portion? Perhaps pave or rows of smaller diamonds? Has that been done and is it even possible? Will the continuation from large stone to band with smaller stones be smooth or will it give an odd look?

What does everyone think about engraving the plain part??

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In a size 4 if you want 8 carats you will be wearing ginormous ECs around like 0.8s... gasp, I think I am dying. While totally impractical the look is to die for IMHO. The only thing I would adore perhaps even more is the same with Asschers. Now, cannot imagine wearing something like this on a daily basis but I would try if I could.:))) Then again I would likely be paranoid every 5 minutes about having damaged a stone. If you want looks AND comfort perhaps try for a honker of an EC 5 stone.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a similar finger size as you, and my concern is, with the size of the stones going full eternity, it's going to be very uncomfortable at the sides of your finger. I can always feel it poking on the side of my middle finger, and when I close my palms/make a fist, or hold hands with my other half, I can feel it poking against my palms/fingers all the time. If you can see if you can try on a ring with a similar thickness to decide if you can live with it.

AVETTE001

Rough_Rock
In a size 4 if you want 8 carats you will be wearing ginormous ECs around like 0.8s... gasp, I think I am dying. While totally impractical the look is to die for IMHO. The only thing I would adore perhaps even more is the same with Asschers. Now, cannot imagine wearing something like this on a daily basis but I would try if I could.:))) Then again I would likely be paranoid every 5 minutes about having damaged a stone. If you want looks AND comfort perhaps try for a honker of an EC 5 stone.

Ah I should have clarified - the 8 carats was the estimate for a full eternity. I will be using .70 carats for each stone so for 3/4 band it will be less than 8 carats total :) Otherwise it would indeed be too massive lol
Although I did try on a 1 carat each eternity band over the weekend... very lovely, but too much bling for me to be comfortable with

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have much bigger fingers than you, and I can’t wear a full eternity, I find them just too uncomfortable, they keep my fingers apart IYKWIM. I have several half eternities, and I’ve never had an issue with them spinning, but at the end of the day, it’s what you feel comfortable with.

The only full eternities I’ve had, one I damaged one of the stones underneath, and the other is too tight, so I can’t wear it anymore. :cry:

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Definitely try to find something comparable to wear a little while before you decide. I had purchased a ~2.5ct five stone ring and it bothered me touching my other fingers while others are fine with 5+ ctw five stones

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly it sounds like a bad idea for multiple reasons. You say you are (awkward) not easy on rings, you want to pair with your wedding band aka every day ring, and with a size 4 ring, 8 carats is going to be overwhelming (bulky aka uncomfortable) on your finger. The other thing that confuses me, you say you are not a "diamond" person. An 8 carat eternity is an extremely blingy ring.

I think you are going to have to go much smaller with the stones.If you go a full eternity, be aware of likelihood of damaging the stones. EC stones are more vulnerable to damage than round cuts due to the flat tables and sharp edges.

My view? Start over. Try on a bunch of rings in person, including different cuts. Include eternities, but also 5, 7 stone and half bands, as well as bands that are mostly metal with stone accents that go all the way around. I think you are likely to find something that you like, that is more comfortable and doable as an every day ring. Or, take your idea and scale it way down. If same size stones, a 5 stone ring. Or use much smaller stones so there is proportionally more metal protecting the stones.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results