carat
color
clarity

7 carat Unheated Cornflower Blue Sapphire

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby? Nah!
Sapphire? You clearly picked the right one!

jewelsforalltosee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Seaglow wow! Gorgeous! I love the large size and the color is amazing!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a gorgeous, lively color! I admire your good taste!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone you picked is by far my favorite of the ones you showed. A real treasure!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
The stone you picked is by far my favorite of the ones you showed. A real treasure!
Such a gorgeous, lively color! I admire your good taste!

Definitely!
(And at this size...I also admire the budget :mrgreen2: ).

I would love to see how such a giant sapphire looks like on hand.
Hopefully the OP will show us pictures once it is set.
It's just not often that you see a gorgeous blue 7 ct sapphire on hand.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The sparkle is more than the cut. It is also the clarity and/or transparency of the stone.

A stone with a precision cut can still lack sparkle if it is has an inclusion in the stone that can affect brilliance. Also, blue sapphires can be silky of which they appear velvety than sparkly. Some blue sapphires can lose some transparency when heated.

So for the sparkle, you will need a combination of cut, clarity, and transparency (crystal).
Congrats on your sapphire purchase! That's a big league rock. You clearly have a sharp eye and a great feel for the market.

I will also echo some of your comments on precision cutting of colored gems. In my travels in Asia buying gemstones I came to greatly respect the "liberties" often taken by local cutters to bring out the overall beauty of rare materials. And through trial and error of re-cutting native cuts, I found that often a precision makeover succeeded in making the stone LESS pretty!

It's important to keep in mind that the primary value factor in a colored gem is, well, color. If you can get even color AND brilliance, so much the better, but sometimes the two have an inverse relationship. (The same is true of colored diamonds - in most cases dialing up light return results in dialing down color saturation). In darker tone materials that can be a good thing, but altering angles on the pavilion to "precision" proportioning dictated by refractive index can also introduce extinction into an otherwise open, even color that performs in a variety of lighting environments.

Your gem appears to have the best of all worlds. And having spent time watching miners in Sri Lanka sifting for hours in gravel pits to come up with a few shards of corundum, I can attest that an untreated beauty the size of your stone is indeed a MAJOR treasure!

mayday

Shiny_Rock
Seaglow I so appreciate you telling us what motivated your choice in selecting this absolutely beautiful sapphire. You help us all learn, so thank you!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! It will definitely be set with a halo but I'm thinking a halo whether it is a halo with some pattern or a traditional one.

Thank Texas Leaguer for sharing your thoughts and your experience in Sri Lanka. :)

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your sapphire purchase! That's a big league rock. You clearly have a sharp eye and a great feel for the market.

I will also echo some of your comments on precision cutting of colored gems. In my travels in Asia buying gemstones I came to greatly respect the "liberties" often taken by local cutters to bring out the overall beauty of rare materials. And through trial and error of re-cutting native cuts, I found that often a precision makeover succeeded in making the stone LESS pretty!

It's important to keep in mind that the primary value factor in a colored gem is, well, color. If you can get even color AND brilliance, so much the better, but sometimes the two have an inverse relationship. (The same is true of colored diamonds - in most cases dialing up light return results in dialing down color saturation). In darker tone materials that can be a good thing, but altering angles on the pavilion to "precision" proportioning dictated by refractive index can also introduce extinction into an otherwise open, even color that performs in a variety of lighting environments.

Your gem appears to have the best of all worlds. And having spent time watching miners in Sri Lanka sifting for hours in gravel pits to come up with a few shards of corundum, I can attest that an untreated beauty the size of your stone is indeed a MAJOR treasure!

Thank you, Texas League for this very informative detail.
I did not know that a precision cut could, in fact, negatively affect maximization of color in a gemstone.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BEAUTIFUL!! :appl: :appl:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After 3 years, I’ve finally had a chance to have the stone set into jewelry. The stone is accentuated by pink and colorless natural diamond melees in a flower design setting.

69CC8ED4-690D-4EA9-AEF2-C952BEA2F4E0.jpeg 4571821B-B725-4EB1-A530-3E1038922572.jpeg F5130FCD-78FE-455D-BFC7-793182EFC110.jpeg 3240F8A7-CCA8-47AB-8457-8B1DEC6FE95D.jpeg 17B192BD-6453-44D4-8187-EA6061E96C8B.jpeg 97267156-7D4C-45CB-B4D5-41F6591AABEE.jpeg

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Seaglow wow wow wow! I remember when you first bought it loose and am so happy you set it! Gorgeous color, and a fantastic size! Hope you are well!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Seaglow wow wow wow! I remember when you first bought it loose and am so happy you set it! Gorgeous color, and a fantastic size! Hope you are well!

Thanks! Hope you and your family are all well, too!

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I hope you wear that honker every single day!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats, that turned out spectacularly well!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How incredibly beautiful! I love the setting you chose. It’s perfect!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous! Love the design. It does complete justice to the gem and looks great on your finger.

Congratulations!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After 3 years, I’ve finally had a chance to have the stone set into jewelry. The stone is accentuated by pink and colorless natural diamond melees in a flower design setting.

That is sensational! I usually do not care for halos but that is both unique and lovely (a seldom-seen combination!).

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amazing ring! Congrats!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring! And such a beautiful blue. Who made the ring for you? He or she did such a great job. It’s a gorgeous design

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, spectacular ring, fit for royalty!
Congratulations, I hope this beauty brings you so much joy, it’s stunning.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring! And such a beautiful blue. Who made the ring for you? He or she did such a great job. It’s a gorgeous design

Hi Acinon! The design was a collaboration between me and a local setter in Bangkok. I supplied the melees and I did want a ring that will not be too high when set. Thanks and be well!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the compliments, everyone! wishing all of you are well and sparkling!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Love the blue and the totality of the ring.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! Enjoy it in good health!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's incredibly gorgeous!! I LOVE everything about it... color, size, setting. Amazing!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk about having presence! I love the blue and with the striking halo setting, it is a showstopper.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results