shape
carat
color
clarity

7 carat Unheated Cornflower Blue Sapphire

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joining in the bandwagon of blue sapphires lately. I've been deciding on this stone for a while but finally got it.

It's a 7.03 carats unheated Ceylon Cornflower Blue sapphire with an AIGS lab report.

I took a photo with different lighting conditions and the stone holds great color on all types of light (even in incandescent!). I was really searching for an unheated blue to have more crystal...but the thing about cornflower blues are they are usually heated and included, it is difficult to find an eye clean stone (price would be over the roof as well!). Heating somehow takes away the trasparency and velvet that can both be present in unheated cornflowers. This stone has a fingerprint which is visible is some angles but the color(nice open color) and transparency is difficult to find in unheated blues so I got it.

Here's the stone in natural daylight and under LED lamp:

image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpg

In direct sunlight together with an almost 5 carat eye clean GRS Pigeon's Blood Unheated Ruby (asking price was a lot and I find the stone dark).

image.jpeg

I also compared the stones with other unheated blues. There was another 7 carat GRS blue (not described as royal). It has a nice color in some light but turns dark in some (while the cornflower I got appears almost royal blue in the same light). Also there is a smaller "Deep Royal" which is too dark IMHO and a 4+ carat cushion that appears steely (has a gray modifier)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't care for that so-called pigeon blood red ruby, looks more like a garnet to me, but I think your sapphire is a lovely color.

Thanks! I think GRS had placed quite a range on "Pigeon's Blood", just my opinion with the rubies I've seen with the designation.

Reactions: T L

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! Love it. Look forward to seeing it set! :love:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire is gorgeous!:wavey:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So pretty....and I don't even care for sapphires usually!

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Awesome!!!

Loreal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a beauty!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a great color - smart move to get it. That will make some ring!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous. I want one like this!

Would you mind sharing the vendor?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! A bigger than usual unheated cornflower blue that is decently clean and bright and doesn't wash out in some lights has been quite a hunt.

@sapphiredream, I got this from a dealer in Bangkok, where I had to do and stop for a day because they don't have an online shop. Many first hand dealers and wholesalers in Bangkok don't have online shops. I will reply to your thread on the gem show on this. :)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice catch.............it's BEAUTIFUL!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone! A bigger than usual unheated cornflower blue that is decently clean and bright and doesn't wash out in some lights has been quite a hunt.

@sapphiredream, I got this from a dealer in Bangkok, where I had to do and stop for a day because they don't have an online shop. Many first hand dealers and wholesalers in Bangkok don't have online shops. I will reply to your thread on the gem show on this. :)

I am in the US - and with an item of this price, I would prefer shopping here.
Would you say that you can find better prices for the same quality in Bangkok?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am in the US - and with an item of this price, I would prefer shopping here.
Would you say that you can find better prices for the same quality in Bangkok?

With gemological knowledge, connections, experience, and good negotiation skills, you could. Bangkok is a gem trading hub, Many who actually buy in Bangkok though that get good prices buy in bulk or on a regular basis. I saw in another thread that you want precision cut stones. In such a case, you can check Tucson out or the precision cutters here (such as Precison Gem and Mastercutgems). Many buyers in other countries are not particular with precision cut and local cuts mostly prioritize weight. The precision cuts I see are mostly for American and Japanese markets. There are precision cutters based in Thailand such as Jeff Davies and The C Axis. You can ask precision cutters to give you notice (or source a stone for you perhaps) once they encounter one according to your specs.

Good gem shows are nice because you will be able to see many stones and experience is not a bad thing. The more stones you see, the better you become at not getting ripped off.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome color! Congratulations!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
With gemological knowledge, connections, experience, and good negotiation skills, you could. Bangkok is a gem trading hub, Many who actually buy in Bangkok though that get good prices buy in bulk or on a regular basis. I saw in another thread that you want precision cut stones. In such a case, you can check Tucson out or the precision cutters here (such as Precison Gem and Mastercutgems). Many buyers in other countries are not particular with precision cut and local cuts mostly prioritize weight. The precision cuts I see are mostly for American and Japanese markets. There are precision cutters based in Thailand such as Jeff Davies and The C Axis. You can ask precision cutters to give you notice (or source a stone for you perhaps) once they encounter one according to your specs.

Good gem shows are nice because you will be able to see many stones and experience is not a bad thing. The more stones you see, the better you become at not getting ripped off.

So I guess maybe attending some shows first and then continuing the search online.

I am definitely very particular about precision cut.
I am a sparkoholic when it comes to gems - if it doesn't sparkle at the top of its refractive index lungs, it doesn's count. :)

I am in the process of purchasing a garnet stone from JD - but going internationally with a sapphire might feel a bit more risky.

Again - your stone is a amazingly beautiful in color. And that carat weight...hmmm...yum!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I guess maybe attending some shows first and then continuing the search online.

I am definitely very particular about precision cut.
I am a sparkoholic when it comes to gems - if it doesn't sparkle at the top of its refractive index lungs, it doesn's count. :)

I am in the process of purchasing a garnet stone from JD - but going internationally with a sapphire might feel a bit more risky.

Again - your stone is a amazingly beautiful in color. And that carat weight...hmmm...yum!

The sparkle is more than the cut. It is also the clarity and/or transparency of the stone.

A stone with a precision cut can still lack sparkle if it is has an inclusion in the stone that can affect brilliance. Also, blue sapphires can be silky of which they appear velvety than sparkly. Some blue sapphires can lose some transparency when heated.

So for the sparkle, you will need a combination of cut, clarity, and transparency (crystal).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your sapphire sure is happy to be Blue !

... and the four stones on your hand make a great lesson in classical sapphire, methinks - very citable [I am smiling at the remaining darkest stone: every glint of light surviving its absorbtion, is so vivid blue ... Not holding it above yours, sure enough. Perhaps too much to be said about these too-dark reds & blues that somehow got the conventional acolades]

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's very lovely, the size and colour are beautiful. I'm also drawn to the darker ones. Maybe in a setting the darkest would lose the light return but they look pretty on your hand. :love:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats some kinda ROCK!!!:love::love::love: that color is my sweet spot.

I personally love silky stones but I'm a bit of a weirdo I guess;-) to me the stone looks like the perfect balance of silk/sparkle, can't wait to see how you set this one:appl:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy camoly!! That is huge! Great score on this one. The color is beautiful and I prefer it to all the other blues in your pics. :love:
Do you have any setting plans yet?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That looks fantastic!!! Great find!

I probably don't want to think about the price tag on that ruby - but it looks *very* dark.

Arcadian - not that weird ;-) I'm another fan of silk - at least just the right amount of it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow! Love your sapphire--look forward to seeing it set!

cheers--Sharon

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone!

Holy camoly!! That is huge! Great score on this one. The color is beautiful and I prefer it to all the other blues in your pics. :love:
Do you have any setting plans yet?

Definitely a ring with diamond melees in white gold. I haven't really thought of a design yet. :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh this is beautiful!!! Love the color and the size - congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results