shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 5.58 ct Blue Sapphire (Gemsthailand)

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
justin, congrats on 2 lovely years and many more to come. we have missed around here.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: Two years already?!!

Time flies, doesn't it?

Many congrats on your two year anniversary. :appl:

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the kind words! We had a wonderful anniversary, and yes time does fly! Every year that goes by I am reminded to make the most of each day because they go quick!

I missed you all very much! I am excited to be back. So many beautiful gems and caring people is what makes this the best Forum ever!
~Justin

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm coming late to the party - but, Happy Anniversary!!! I have really enjoyed reading your thread, seeing all of your beautiful pictures, and while I wasn't around two years ago when you were picking your wife's stone - I have to say that it is absolutely fantastic! Thank you for sharing so much with us!

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful ring and couple.
And such a great chronicle of your journey and love for each other.
All the best on your second anniversary and a wish for many more decades of happiness!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the best PS thread ever. Congratulations Justin and thanks for sharing and warming my heart for the day! :appl:

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Justin_Cutter|1311177611|2973025 said:
pwendyp|1311176691|2973003 said:
Tis a beautiful sapphire and a stunning blue...

I was just on ebay, so had a peek at the company you mentioned it was from, to see what they had...and...they have your stones' twin for sale!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-58-CT-C...0021?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item3a61a61ef5

It can't be though - can it?

And Lo...'Gemsthailand' is another 'Natural Sapphire Company' - another twin!

:))

I have already spoke to Gemsthailand about this and the listing should be pulled today. The sale of the Sapphire was tentative until it passed either GIA or AGL report. Which we just found out yesterday that it did pass as a natural untreated stone.

And yes he does list it as the natural sapphire company but from what I can see his customer seem happier than the "natural sapphire company" we are all familiar with here in the states :)) . He has been in the sapphire business a long time. I will be doing a full review on the company Gemsthailand to inform the community.

~Justin

Justin, congratulations on your engagement and on an excellent deal! A similar stone from Natural Sapphire Company runs closer to 50k!

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-5-blue-sapphires/p-53200-cushion-blue-sapphire-b5677/

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much for these comments! They truly warm my heart.

My wife just said,
"I wish PriceScope had a Like button!!!" :))

psproot12:

Thank you and yes I agree it was a incredible deal.

The sapphire you linked is nice however windowed it may be. All the specs do look very close to my wife's sapphire. The color is a bit different and of course the origin of the stone is different which I am sure is playing into the exponential price jump. However I don't believe that sapphire is worth $54,604. I could understand if they were asking around $25k, but $50k is stretching it!

I wasn't ever suppose to say this but since Gemsthailand is no longer selling sapphires I suppose it would be ok. I didn't pay $12,950 like the listing says. I payed $9,500 for my wife's sapphire. Considering the size, color, cut, clarity (loupe clean) and lack of treatment I feel its one of the better deals I have ever seen. Are there better sapphires out there? Absolutely and some are in this very forum! :love:
But at the end of the day I would of had to pay at least double to get a better sapphire than I did at the time.

I am very grateful to Gemsthailand for giving me such a great price. I believe their sapphire stock sold out within 1 year of the creation of this thread unfortunately :blackeye:. Last I checked they had moved into the resort hotel trade in Thailand. I wish them the best, but I hope someday they get back into the gem trade again!

~Justin

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
I agree that the Ceylon origin likely contributes to the extreme pricing, however it does not nearly justify the insane 50k ask. Perhaps if it was from Kashmir, but a Ceylon origin holds little weight when compared to Kashmir for sapphires, Burma (Myanmar for rubies) and Colombia for Emeralds. Either way, you acquired a stunning stone, at a remarkable price and it's not like anyone looking at the stone set in the ring can tell the origin :D

Natural Sap. also, seems to have ludicrous pricing on Madagascar sapphires as well

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NSC caters to a different market. People who are looking for unheated sapphires but don't have the time or inclination to research or shop around will find NSC to be the right place for them. NSC has a very large inventory and an actual brick and mortar presence. Not everyone feels comfortable or enjoys the online shopping experience. There are those who prefer dealing with the vendor face to face, seeing and touching/comparing a variety of sapphires at the same time and a one stop shop (stone and setting from the same place). All these contribute to their higher pricing, including other factors that I am likely unaware of.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1399379840|3667145 said:
NSC caters to a different market. People who are looking for unheated sapphires but don't have the time or inclination to research or shop around will find NSC to be the right place for them. NSC has a very large inventory and an actual brick and mortar presence. Not everyone feels comfortable or enjoys the online shopping experience. There are those who prefer dealing with the vendor face to face, seeing and touching/comparing a variety of sapphires at the same time and a one stop shop (stone and setting from the same place). All these contribute to their higher pricing, including other factors that I am likely unaware of.

For the very reasons you have highlighted is why NSC was the first place I looked when I started my search. In the end the risk of internet buying was outweighed by the better pricing. But like you said internet gem buying is not for everyone.

I can easily see the appeal of a NSC type store.

~Justin

psproot12

Shiny_Rock

I get what you're saying but I would never fork over 2-3x per carat to deal with vendor face to face and to touch the stone :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does NSC allow AGL reports? If not, I wouldn't bother with them because they only have an LIBS machine, and that is not as accurate as an LA-ICP-MS machine, which AGL has access to.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1399557293|3668447 said:
A few stones come with GIA memos and GIA tests for diffusion (and I'm sure they have a LA-ICP-MS ).

Yes, GIA does. I just hope NSC allows customers to send gems to GIA, which do not already have GIA reports.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Hey friends,
I wanted to update you regarding Gemsthailand. After a few years in the hotel business they have returned to the gem trade and have a new ebay store called Thailand Blue Stone.
Here is a link to the store front. http://www.ebay.com/usr/thailandbluestone?rt=nc

I was pleased to hear this as I was very sad to hear that they had quit selling gems back in 2013. minousbijoux, or LD if you see this please add them back to the trusted vendor list. :appl:
I guess I am sentimental, but it is nice knowing that the company that sold me my wife's sapphire is still in the trade. I wish them the best and I will forever be a greateful customer.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday Season!
~Justin

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Justin_Cutter|1450915472|3965507 said:
Hey friends,
I wanted to update you regarding Gemsthailand. After a few years in the hotel business they have returned to the gem trade and have a new ebay store called Thailand Blue Stone.
Here is a link to the store front. http://www.ebay.com/usr/thailandbluestone?rt=nc

I was pleased to hear this as I was very sad to hear that they had quit selling gems back in 2013. minousbijoux, or LD if you see this please add them back to the trusted vendor list. :appl:
I guess I am sentimental, but it is nice knowing that the company that sold me my wife's sapphire is still in the trade. I wish them the best and I will forever be a greateful customer.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday Season!
~Justin

Hi Justin,
I have checked this vendor's ebay store and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATURAL-GEM-4-26-CT-FLAWLESS-STUNNING-GEM-TOP-ROYAL-BLUE-KANCHANABURI-SAPPHIRE-/201488265431?hash=item2ee9a2f0d7:g:SY4AAOSw2s1UrfPO

Is it worth buying? It is heated though :(

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
I would say its not worth that price. It appears to be to dark and will most likely window based off the pictures I am seeing.

You could ask for a hand shot but I think it is going to be very dark.

~Justin

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results