shape
carat
color
clarity

5.4ctw studs!! Erika Winters/Jewels by Grace custom settings

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Re: 5.4ctw studs!! Erika Winters/Jewels by Grace custom sett

Wow!!! Sooo beautiful to see Erika's Grace inspired ring setting in an earring. You must be over the moon about them. :love: They look stunning on you! Erika and her bench are perfectionists. I doubt anyone would ever be disappointed by any of her custom works of art. I wish I could take pictures like her and yours are just as amazing and with a P&S camera too. Thank you so much for sharing.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock

Yssie, they are spectacular!!!

The size, the setting, the execution - absolute perfection!

Funnily enough, I remember when an Indian poster (btiger?) posted her 6ctw studs a few years ago and mentioned that Indians love jewellery, you commented something along the lines of it never happening for you...

AND LOOK NOW!!!!!

Congratulations darling Yssie, wear them in good health!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

These are STUNNING. Omg, I so heart these studs!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Yssie, your new earrings are sheer perfection in every way imaginable! :appl: The design, craftsmanship and wonderful size of your stones are extrodiarnarily beautiful! :clap: Wow! They are gorgeous! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Your photos are amazing too!

picante27

Shiny_Rock

these are stunning!I absolutely love the way you set them :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1438639554|3910647 said:
I have to ditto Sharon's comments. WOW is right. :love:
Thanks for elaborating for me about the weight and I absolutely agree about the slightly thicker posts helping prevent them from cutting into the earlobe. Thank you for the amazing pictures. You have mastered taking pics of them on your ears and your new pics are gorgeous. :appl: Of course the earrings and the model are both gorgeous so you really couldn't go wrong. :bigsmile: Enjoy your new earrings in health and happiness!
Missy, you really are so sweet ::)

I'm actually celebrating today, a bit. For the last few months I've been getting these inexplicable dizzy spells :(sad they don't happen at any particular time, and there doesn't seem to be any specific trigger, and there doesn't seem to be anything at all wrong otherwise! I always get a half minute or so of warning, but I've been scared to go anywhere out of the ordinary by myself or eat anything new or really do anything that might bring one on. As of today it will have been two full weeks since anything's happened... and I'm very hopeful that it's gone, as mysteriously as it came :))

The longer, thicker posts make SUCH a difference!! The double-notching makes them feel a lot safer, too. Now all that's left is finding the right backings...

ihy138|1438640722|3910663 said:
Yssie - oh, my!! These are the pinnacle of perfection - new meets old. I am dying a little inside, but in the best way possible! First, they are PERFECT on your ears. Are you an ear model IRL? Second, the setting is incredible. I saw these on Erika's Instagram and drooled for a bit. The only downside to them is that you can't see them all the time as you would a ring on the hand. I hope you are looking in the mirror often. ;-) Congratulations on these true heirlooms. Wear them in good health!
Thank you so much ihy!! "New meets old" - that's exactly what I wanted to achieve ::) I didn't want to go too vintage-y or deco-esque geometric (even though I *love* those looks) because I didn't think they'd work with the stones. I guess... these are the first non-branded pieces I've owned that I really think of as heirloom-worthy, and that's both thrilling and humbling at the same time. My RDG is just too personalised and I can't see it appealing to many people at all, and all the others - well, they weren't made with "forever" in mind and I don't expect them to last that long. These, though, I very much hope they'll stick around for a good long time!

I find myself looking for reasons to walk past darkened glass... :bigsmile:

Butterfly17|1438641492|3910674 said:
Wow! These are absolutely gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen earrings so perfect in my life. The settings are fabulous!
Thank you Butterfly!! ::)

Jimmianne|1438641511|3910675 said:
The most beautiful studs ... both stones and basket design. Quite honestly it would be difficult, if not impossible, to imagine ear studs to top these ~and~ they look wonderful on you. Congratulations!!!
Now back for another in-depth look :love: :love: :love:
Wow, thank you Jimmianne!! This entire project has ben a series of things that could have gone many ways all falling perfectly into place - I feel very lucky all around ::)

I never, ever imagined I'd own earrings like this. I love them, I love everything about them, and I hope to enjoy them for a very long time!

CRYSTAL24K|1438642651|3910682 said:
Stunning! Gorgeous! :love:
Thank you Crystal!

lorrissey|1438651910|3910771 said:
Holy Moly!!! Those are the earrings to end all earrings. Gorgeous, stunning, fabulous!
Thank you! As the other half says... they'd better be, LOL :bigsmile:

Phoenix|1438654834|3910787 said:
Goodness gracious me!!! Those studs are absolutely mesmerising!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:love : :love: :love: :love: I absolutely LOOOOOOOOOOVE them!!!

My goodness!! The settings are just pure perfection!! And the stones are HUGE!! I am soooooooo happy for you!

Wear them in great health and happiness. Please take more photos!!
Thank you Phoenix!!! They've been in the works for a long time - I'm super excited ::)

I just LOVE having big earrings! I wanted studs like yours when I first saw pics of your old pair years and years ago - I adore earrings and these are more than I could have dreamt of. They don't look nearly as big in my ears as yours do in yours, and m2b's look in hers, but... guess you can't have everything :halo:

I remember that we were talking about "wearability" at one point and you told me to go for it because you were sure I'd be wearing them all day, everyday, regardless of whether or not they're strictly appropriate for the environment for at least a year :devil: So far I have in fact worn them every single day... so your point was obviously well-taken :bigsmile:

Are you still considering another smaller pair?

_lovesvintage_|1438685653|3910917 said:
Wow!!! Sooo beautiful to see Erika's Grace inspired ring setting in an earring. You must be over the moon about them. :love: They look stunning on you! Erika and her bench are perfectionists. I doubt anyone would ever be disappointed by any of her custom works of art. I wish I could take pictures like her and yours are just as amazing and with a P&S camera too. Thank you so much for sharing.
Thank you lv!!! I absolutely love her setting and I'm very happy with how it translated into earrings :love: I am completely over the moon with them!!

Erika really IS a perfectionist. It was lovely to work with her and not feel any need to keep track of or worry about anything - I was completely confident she'd take care of everything related to my project in the way I'd want it taken care of, either by deciding herself or asking me for my opinion... I've had them for three weeks now and I still feel a bit giddy looking at them in their box :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And... trying that comparison again with a better pic:
2.5ctw OECs (left) and 5.4ctw MRBs (right)

yssie-wffinal-onear1.png earfin_0.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1438642037|3910678 said:
Yssie|1438638839|3910639 said:
Ha, like I'd ever tell you to shove off silly! I like to talk about projects! So far I am figuring to wear this as a rhr, so not on the same hand. I just am iffy b/c the chryso is 7.1 or 7.2 mm's so quite a bit bigger than my avc's. Even on a different hand, I worry it will take the focus from my princess bride set. It's in 14kyg and silver now...wasn't a fan of the yg w/it at first but changed my tune after wearing it. I dunno, I'm so in love w/the unplated 18kwg of my SS set, I am tossing that around as an option. Erika has such cool looking metals!
All the chrysos I've seen are super sparkly but... diamonds are diamonds, nothing beats the sparkle of a diamond. Or, in your case, three diamonds :sun: I really, really don't think any non-diamond solitaire will outshine your three-stone!

Well, you know how I feel about unplated WG :bigsmile: but I do think if you're concerned about them competing, even on different hands, differentiating them as much as possible has some definite advantages - it's just so much harder to compare very different looks. Erika's finishes are what got me hooked... that sort-of-brushed sort-of-distressed yet-perfectly-applied texture, and the precise changes in texture from one element to another... gorgeous!!

Maybe plating with 22k..? I have a handful of 22k pieces - some made in the US (alloyed with silver) and some from India (alloyed with copper). The ones made here have this very, very slight greenish look - especially compared with the ones from India - if your stone goes chartreuse at all that could suit really nicely!

You have some fun decisions!! :appl:

Resonance.Of.Life|1438647514|3910731 said:
Haha, I suppose I shall get onto getting them pierced now! I am so close to a cushion.. we'll see in a couple of days if it pans out ;-)
Wait... WHAT? I'm texting!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A couple more pics from yesterday :bigsmile:

My two pairs of diamond studs. The smaller pair are 0.1ctw baby bezels, my first (and only!) Blue Box experience - they were a surprise gift from my ILs the first time they came out to visit (shortly after DH and I got engaged) and they're easily among my most-beloved pieces ::)

psnew_1_img_6152.png

- - - - - - - -

My ideal cut diamonds - 5.4ctw studs, 2.7ctw ACA eternity from WF (18 15pointers), and WF bangle with 1ctw ACA melee :sun:

psnew_2_img_6081.png

- - - - - - - -

This is pretty much all I've been wearing the past couple of weeks - studs and eternity! The office is usually an icebox so I keep a plain stacking band in my purse, too.

3_new.png

- - - - - - - -

And another handshot...

4_hand.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Trekkie|1438796358|3911531 said:
Yssie, they are spectacular!!!

The size, the setting, the execution - absolute perfection!

Funnily enough, I remember when an Indian poster (btiger?) posted her 6ctw studs a few years ago and mentioned that Indians love jewellery, you commented something along the lines of it never happening for you...

AND LOOK NOW!!!!!

Congratulations darling Yssie, wear them in good health!
Trekkie, love :wavey: It's GOOD to "hear" from you!! How's life these days? Where in the world are you now!? Still in SA?

Oh my goodness, I had literally just had the SAME thought a couple of hours ago! I had to look them up - it *was* btiger, and I said pretty much exactly that: that there was just no way I'd ever have earrings like that, Indian or not :bigsmile: It's completely, totally astounding to think that I actually do!! And thank you so much :))

Me, I'm pretty much the same as ever! Still trying to figure out how to put a camera on one of my cats' collars ::) Probably Mina, she'd be most entertaining (I'm pretty sure she spends all day migrating from sleeping place to sleeping place, with a few hours of sleep in-between said migrations - I don't know why I find that as amusing as I do...)

Okay, putting a lid on the ramble :devil:

Yimmers, picante - thank you ::)

Rockinruby|1438883827|3911898 said:
Yssie, your new earrings are sheer perfection in every way imaginable! :appl: The design, craftsmanship and wonderful size of your stones are extrodiarnarily beautiful! :clap: Wow! They are gorgeous! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Your photos are amazing too!
Thank you Rockin!! I love them - I think they're just so perfect, in every way ::) The settings are incredible in-person: they're very delicate but they seem strong at the same time, and the stones are so nicely set - no hair getting caught in the prongs or anything like that at all, which was definitely one of my concerns with super-pointy claw prongs on earrings... :love:

Erika and co. did an amazing job on these :))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Erika's finishes give me palpitations. It's like brushed..but pebbly..but yet different still, all combined. You're right, diamonds v yellow chryso, they're different enough. I think even if both rings were in the same metal the chryso would be it's "own". It's fun to get back into a project. I'd thought I'd be done w/projects after doing this reset but your earrings have given me the thought to have my lobes re pierced and have earrings made that I came up w/in one of my insomnia laden nights. I'd shake my fist at you for giving me ideas but...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1438998357|3912390 said:
Erika's finishes give me palpitations. It's like brushed..but pebbly..but yet different still, all combined. You're right, diamonds v yellow chryso, they're different enough. I think even if both rings were in the same metal the chryso would be it's "own". It's fun to get back into a project. I'd thought I'd be done w/projects after doing this reset but your earrings have given me the thought to have my lobes re pierced and have earrings made that I came up w/in one of my insomnia laden nights. I'd shake my fist at you for giving me ideas but...

...A just desert for such impiety :bigsmile:

The finish is awesome IRL!! It does look "antiquey", but antique pieces have that finish all over, and in the process of acquiring it have usually lost a lot of detail - the *precision* with which her bench applies the finish is IMO part of what's so lovely and special about it! I love the changes in texture - from sort-of-brushed to high-polish to engraved/milgrained detail...

I wonder if it's more prone to showing scratches though? My DH has a brushed band and scratches do seem to show up a lot more - they're shiny against a brushed, sheen background, vs. dull streaks against a shiny, reflective background. Well - once upon a time he had a brushed band. It turned into a canvass of scratches and nicks and he asked me to try to restore the finish, and I totally failed... so it met my dremel for a date night and emerged spotlessly polished and glossy. Now it's - again - a canvass of scratches and nicks, of course.

Haha welcome back to the world of projects ::) I really DO think your diamonds and chryso are different enough that they won't be directly competing. If you were talking about another diamond I'd question it, but... I actually didn't know you'd have to re-pierce! Do you wear ear clips or anything right now?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nope, I've not worn earrings for years. I developed an allergy to silver in my ears, so I will have to see if I can tolerate golds..otherwise I dunno what I'll do-if surgical steel can be the posts on gold earrings maybe? I've got barely visible holes now-I was at one point able to force a post thru but now I can't-the backs of my lobes have grown over, tho I can feel where the holes are and see the spots on the fronts.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

whoa. beautiful!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

YOU are the architect of the earrings I've been admiring on Instagram and FaceBook these last few weeks ... how wonderful! These are absolutely superb, and they look magnificent on you. I think I sense a tidal wave of resets a'coming ... ;-)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock

I have been on vacation and just now have the chance to post on this thread. I haven't read all of the comments, but I have drooled over all of the pictures! Every woman should have a "statement" piece of jewelry that is her signature and you have created something really special. Your earrings are incredible - I hope you receive many years of enjoyment from wearing them.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow!!!!!!!! They look so beautiful on you Yssie!

gatorgirl

Rough_Rock

Your new earrings are absolutely gorgeous and look stunning on you! :love:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

So have you received the new backings yet for your earrings? I was just wondering if you might consider the double sided earring look that is popular now. Something can be created in your style, yet be a sturdier backing... I would think. Whatever you decide to do I hope you get the backing that makes you feel more secure about wearing them. :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1439004916|3912419 said:
Nope, I've not worn earrings for years. I developed an allergy to silver in my ears, so I will have to see if I can tolerate golds..otherwise I dunno what I'll do-if surgical steel can be the posts on gold earrings maybe? I've got barely visible holes now-I was at one point able to force a post thru but now I can't-the backs of my lobes have grown over, tho I can feel where the holes are and see the spots on the fronts.
A good friend of mine can't tolerate most metals in her ears - she does exactly that: surgical steel posts/hooks. Lighter than platinum and about as non-reactive as it gets... I think it's pretty common for (other) body jewellery, too - at one point I had a diamond set into a bar for my navel piercing (right before I ripped it out :(sad ) and there was no question about what metal would be used!
I've heard piercing over/through scar tissue is a lot more difficult than the first time?

In other news - MY YELLOW IS HERE!!!!! I've been playing with it all afternoon :sun: So - I'm officially joining you in a Project Yellow :bigsmile:

artdecolover71 said:
whoa. beautiful!
Thank you!!

Circe said:
YOU are the architect of the earrings I've been admiring on Instagram and FaceBook these last few weeks ... how wonderful! These are absolutely superb, and they look magnificent on you. I think I sense a tidal wave of resets a'coming ... ;-)
Circe! :wavey:

Hah, thank you!! Ode to the mind-boggle that is the internet, indeed :bigsmile:

I still adore everything about them! That the design shouldn't overwhelm the stones was really important to me... there's so much more space to work with in the gallery than I'm used to, and I know that when I was first thinking about custom settings there was an unmistakable temptation to *fill it* - and in the process go totally overboard! Erika really did a marvellous job adjusting her design for these ::)

I assume life with a half-year-old is keeping you busy!! I'd love to get together next time we're in the same place - I think I'll be coming down to the city in a few weeks, maybe we can work something out :))

Sundial said:
I have been on vacation and just now have the chance to post on this thread. I haven't read all of the comments, but I have drooled over all of the pictures! Every woman should have a "statement" piece of jewelry that is her signature and you have created something really special. Your earrings are incredible - I hope you receive many years of enjoyment from wearing them.
I hope your vacation was wonderful Sundial :appl: And thank you!! They are definitely my statement pieces - they're the earrings I didn't even bother dreaming about, because there was obviously just no way they'd ever come to reality in my reality... I hope to enjoy them very much for many, many years ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Callie, gatorgirl!! :bigsmile:

_lovesvintage_|1439392749|3913700 said:
So have you received the new backings yet for your earrings? I was just wondering if you might consider the double sided earring look that is popular now. Something can be created in your style, yet be a sturdier backing... I would think. Whatever you decide to do I hope you get the backing that makes you feel more secure about wearing them. :)
_lv_ I did get them, thank you for asking! I actually got them a few days ago but didn't get a chance to try them until yesterday ;(

I am delighted (and, admittedly, quite surprised) to discover that they do the job fabulously! I had pretty much resigned myself to having to go custom, so this is a nice bit of luck :))

Earrings with designs that go behind the ears - I know what you're talking about and I actually LOVE the look, especially for larger designs! I love the dimensionalilty that extra space affords - and it's such an easy way to add a bit of edge, no extra piercings, no other permanent body modification needed... :devil: I haven't actually tried any on, though!

Here are a couple of quick pics of the new friction backs, if there's any interest in the differences - new on the bottom in both. Both are plat950/Ru. These new backs grab the posts and hold on for dear life - there's absolutely no way they're sliding off on their own!! The pads are about the same size - the old (flowery) ones measure 9.4mm by my calipers and the new (ugly) ones are 9.8mm, but they're noticeably heftier and the metal is a LOT thicker - and I'm a lot happier! :appl:

bacs.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I SOOOO SUPER LOVE the comparison pic of the old and new studs. Of course you would wear them every single day... :). Do you even remember that you have them on? They are SERIOUSLY FABULOUS.

And now I am staring at your PHAT eternity. DOH... I'm wearing my LOVE and I am wondering if I would like it better with a band. Instead of my ering. It's such a different look.

Now I am thinking at some point I would consider moving up on my studs. Those huge diamonds look so lovely and natural on your ears... ***sigh***

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Welll hey then..that sounds like I'd be able to do a pair of earrings yaaaay! :appl: JD maybe is going to give that a no bueno but...eh, he'll suffer thru it I guess..I've not talked to anyone about re piercing them so I'm not sure how it is..It makes sense to me tho, what you say. I'll check into it tho before having earrings made..my luck I'd find out there's something wrong and they can't be pierced again.

OOOOOO yellow is here! Did you post pics of it in CS yet????

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1439427656|3913918 said:
I SOOOO SUPER LOVE the comparison pic of the old and new studs. Of course you would wear them every single day... :). Do you even remember that you have them on? They are SERIOUSLY FABULOUS.

And now I am staring at your PHAT eternity. DOH... I'm wearing my LOVE and I am wondering if I would like it better with a band. Instead of my ering. It's such a different look.

Now I am thinking at some point I would consider moving up on my studs. Those huge diamonds look so lovely and natural on your ears... ***sigh***

Ack, no, your Ering reset is perfection!!!!
Don't you dare even think of replacing her!!!!!!!!
:bigsmile:

Aww thank you, again! My eternity is 15pointers - it's actually... a bit small, I think, compared to the studs. I have this weird hangup about "proper proportions" - I can't define or explain that because even I don't know what it means until something is "improperly proportioned" to my eyes! Aesthetically I think larger stones would make for a better "set", but practically speaking these sit about as high off the finger as I'd be comfortable wearing (and replacing this band with a slightly larger version isn't worth what it would probably cost, anyway) :rodent:

So... I've been meaning to talk to you about that Perlee bracelet you tried on... I'll ask in the Hangout thread ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1439435936|3913957 said:
Welll hey then..that sounds like I'd be able to do a pair of earrings yaaaay! :appl: JD maybe is going to give that a no bueno but...eh, he'll suffer thru it I guess..I've not talked to anyone about re piercing them so I'm not sure how it is..It makes sense to me tho, what you say. I'll check into it tho before having earrings made..my luck I'd find out there's something wrong and they can't be pierced again.

Ask forgiveness rather than permission? :saint:
I'm considering testing that philosophy... there's this gorgeous calico cat I've been feeding outside the office and I think I'm getting closer to trapping her...

Yeah, I talked to a tattoo guy about repiercing over scar tissue once and he said no problem, but it'd be better to shift it slightly if possible, rather than go through. Mine is WAY worse than what you're describing though, I'm guessing (well, uneducatedly guessing, but educatedly hoping!) yours really won't be any problem if you decide to go for it :bigsmile:

I haven't posted Yellow yet! She's gorgeous - and seriously camera-shy!! I'll try again in the sunlight tomorrow ::)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Keep coming back to your thread hoping for more gorgeous pics :naughty:
And yay!!! So your zircon is ready and already set in your beautiful setting!! I cannot wait to see the pics over in the CS section.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love the new pics, Yssie! All of your pieces are beautiful! I love rose gold with white metals...such pretty bracelets and the Cartier ring ties them together!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yssie|1439439707|3913967 said:
packrat|1439435936|3913957 said:

Ask forgiveness rather than permission? :saint:
I'm considering testing that philosophy... there's this gorgeous calico cat I've been feeding outside the office and I think I'm getting closer to trapping her...

Yeah, I talked to a tattoo guy about repiercing over scar tissue once and he said no problem, but it'd be better to shift it slightly if possible, rather than go through. Mine is WAY worse than what you're describing though, I'm guessing (well, uneducatedly guessing, but educatedly hoping!) yours really won't be any problem if you decide to go for it :bigsmile:

I haven't posted Yellow yet! She's gorgeous - and seriously camera-shy!! I'll try again in the sunlight tomorrow ::)

Ha, yeah, forgiveness rather than permission, that'll work! He's the one who told me I could buy something w/his Sergeant raise, so that's what he gets! ('course, it would be many years worth of the raise but hey, why quibble on minor details?)

Is your Yellow a zircon? I can't remember! Dying to see tho!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

New camera... couldn't resist taking new pics... ::)

y_arrows_copy.png

- - - - - - - - - -

y_disp1.png

y_smalldisp.png

y_disp2.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Duplicate*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results