shape
carat
color
clarity

41 degree pavillion angle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 4:00:46 PM
Author: 96TL

Date: 7/11/2007 11:28:38 AM
Author: strmrdr
35-41 slight table leakage

AGS says this is a 1, GIA says the leakage isnt eye visible so its a EX
This is exactly my combo. I just had it appraised this week, and it was rated as an AGS 0. I dont know much about diamonds, but it looks spectacular to me.
emsmiled.gif

Here’s an opportunity to gently correct a misconception while hopefully illustrating (again) the need to “buy the diamond, not the paper.”

Technically speaking, no 41/35 combo is predicted to be 0 in the AGS cutting guidelines.They range from AGS 1-3. However, AGSL must evaluate any specific diamond to know its final grade, especially borderline configurations.

Here are cutting predictions for 6mm rounds, 41/35

Table 55% AGS1
Table 56% AGS2
Table 57% AGS3
Table 58% AGS2

Predictions for 8mm rounds, 41/35

Table 55% AGS1
Table 56% AGS1
Table 57% AGS1
Table 58% AGS2

Here are the AGSL cut guides below for 8mm rounds, 56, 57 & 58% table (posted with permission).I'd provide all the above charts but the file is too big.

41-35_8mm_Cut-Guidelines.jpg

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 2:23:24 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 7/11/2007 4:00:46 PM

Date: 7/11/2007 11:28:38 AM
35-41 slight table leakage

AGS says this is a 1, GIA says the leakage isnt eye visible so its a EX
This is exactly my combo. I just had it appraised this week, and it was rated as an AGS 0. I dont know much about diamonds, but it looks spectacular to me.
emsmiled.gif

Here’s an opportunity to gently correct a misconception while hopefully illustrating (again) the need to “buy the diamond, not the paper.”

Technically speaking, no 41/35 combo is predicted to be 0 in the AGS cutting guidelines.They range from AGS 1-3. However, AGSL must evaluate any specific diamond to know its final grade, especially borderline configurations.

Here are cutting predictions for 6mm rounds, 41/35

Table 55% AGS1
Table 56% AGS2
Table 57% AGS3
Table 58% AGS2

Predictions for 8mm rounds, 41/35

Table 55% AGS1
Table 56% AGS1
Table 57% AGS1
Table 58% AGS2

Here are the AGSL cut guides below for 8mm rounds, 56, 57 & 58% table (posted with permission).I'd provide all the above charts but the file is too big.

But wait.
Remember that in the AGS system every diamond is judged on its own merits.Borderline configurations can be + or – a grade, depending on how well (or not) they are cut and perform at the lab.Minor facets, brillianteering, optical symmetry and consistenct can influence the grade. Each diamond is judged in the AGSL ray trace, which accounts for all 57 facets (not just c/p angle).That’s why it may be possible for c/p 41/35 to earn values for 0 if all facets work in perfect harmony.Although it’s less likely for this combo than some others, it’s a diamond by diamond call.That’s why the graphics in the previous post are called ‘guides.’

Now to blow up your skirts
2.gif
check out these cut comparison charts juxtaposingAGSL predicted ‘Ideal’ grades with GIA predicted ‘EX’ grades.You will see there’s some dichotomy (GIA prefers deeper, AGS prefers shallower and they meet in the middle).

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-and-gia-cut-comparison-charts.41793/

This is why it’s critical to “buy the diamond, not the paper” in any borderline combo.When you are crunching data always keep it ‘real
.’These pedigrees (AGS 0 and GIA EX) are nice indicators, but a technical division between written grades (especially 0 and 1) doesn’t necessarily mean a diamond isn’t as beautiful as others.Count on an expert you trust to help you and, most importantly, your eyes.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2007 1:29:04 PM
Author: Lorelei
Pyramid, you are keeping us in suspenders
9.gif
, have you decided yet??????

Yes well I am getting it, but not 100% sure about it. This one is from GoodoldGold and it is the size I want and there was only one other I liked with Whiteflash but it was smaller and more expensive but then higher colour too, so it has to be this one. I might trade it in a year or two, not for size but just for cut. I think that could be difficult from here though because I'm not sure if Fedex let normal people buy insurance or if it is just companies. I probably won't even find another one in this size for a while with this colour combination so I probably will stick with it but keep looking.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are going to be over the moon with it Pyramid and I know how long you have been waiting and the work you have put into finding this diamond - yay for you BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 2:20:52 PM
Author: Pyramid
Thanks John. Yes the 40.5 pavillion angle would bother me just as much, infact I told Rhino that about one he had with a 40.6. I don''t know if it is mind clean with me, I think it is, or do I just want to follow the pack and go with what everyone consider ideal. When you say about considering the whole stone what makes a diamond with a 41 pavillion okay sometimes and sometimes not? Ha if I was Brian Gavin or Paul Slegers I would just stand at my diamond wheel and take a bit off the pavillion (just joking although maybe if I was really them I would be able to cut it to perfection, but then I would be complaining about the crown not fitting. I aslo read about Super Ideal and wonder if 41 pavillion is out of that category then and just into Ideal. I know that is being picky but..... and I also know that Super Ideal is not an industry term or so I read on the internet.
LOL. No worries Pyramid: Great cutters maximize the beauty in any given piece of rough. We all know well and respect that a diamond must be "mind clean" for people, especially those who are technically minded. In that sense we all respect our clients'' desire to like the paper too…once you see the stone the paper becomes secondary though.
2.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do not understand why we are having this storm in a teapot, but can we please take one step back, and consider this.

There is not one specific stone with an average 34/41-combination, there are a high number of different stones with this average. If you try to emulate it with Diamcalc, you are assuming a perfectly symmetrical stone, and this is basically impossible to cut. All stones deviate in some way from their average measurements, and this has certain effects.

In this way, Rhino also needs to be very careful with the generalisation of his observations. Because of the quality of stones that he sells, and the quality of the suppliers, that he works with, he is seeing a disproportionate number of rather symmetrically cut stones. This might have and probably has an effect on his observations, and it is important to bear this in mind. Therefore, I would not recommend using his observations as a general rule on all stones.

In the end, the whole question boils down to whether one is working with a retailer, who knows what he is doing, and on his supplier-cutter, who should know what he is doing. With all the possibilities of the Internet, it is people who remain most important.

Live long,

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 3:37:37 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
I do not understand why we are having this storm in a teapot, but can we please take one step back, and consider this.

There is not one specific stone with an average 34/41-combination, there are a high number of different stones with this average. If you try to emulate it with Diamcalc, you are assuming a perfectly symmetrical stone, and this is basically impossible to cut. All stones deviate in some way from their average measurements, and this has certain effects.

In this way, Rhino also needs to be very careful with the generalisation of his observations. Because of the quality of stones that he sells, and the quality of the suppliers, that he works with, he is seeing a disproportionate number of rather symmetrically cut stones. This might have and probably has an effect on his observations, and it is important to bear this in mind. Therefore, I would not recommend using his observations as a general rule on all stones.

In the end, the whole question boils down to whether one is working with a retailer, who knows what he is doing, and on his supplier-cutter, who should know what he is doing. With all the possibilities of the Internet, it is people who remain most important.

Live long,
Excellent point (bordering on ideal).
2.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/11/2007 11:35:48 AM

Oh and a 38 foot waistline would be pretty bad
9.gif

Not for me. I have about a 54" chest from years of weight training and kayaking. If I could trim the 44 inch waist from years of eating and drinking to a 38 I would be a VERY happy camper!

Wink

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 1:17:55 PM

I think there is a ring of death because I saw it on a stone I had out from a local jeweller about two years ago, under spot lighting the arrows showed up white but between the arrows all around the circle were grey and horrible looking. I posted a thread about it and I believe it was you Storm who did a diamcalc of the numbers I had from the IGI certificate. The diamcalc you did looked exactly like the diamond. So if there is no ring of death what would we call that, is that just leakage?
Ring of death exists... what I was saying is that diamond dont have one....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I received my .43 stone with the 34/41 combo and it is gorgeous. Pics can be found here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-of-my-43-bezel-pendant-from-bn.65401/

Comparing it to my center stone in my wedding band that is an H ACA that has the combo of 35/40.9, they both look very very beautiful. They do look slightly different, but the differences are very subtle. I think the 34/41 looks a little whiter and brighter, but it still seems to have substantial fire. Both are really beautiful and it is very hard to notice the differences between the stones unless you stare at them for several minutes. I really like both stones and I can't pick a favorite. They are both really lovely stones.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 3:37:37 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Live long,
Paul, well said but the same can be said of any combo,,,
a diamond could average 34.8/40.8 and be a dog that dont change my opinion that one of Brians ACA's with that combo is an exellent/ideal diamond.
The same could be said for your favorite combo.
Which I why I stressed that actual IS images of the stone trump the virtual ones I posted.

edited to remove typo.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 7:06:55 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I received my .43 stone with the 34/41 combo and it is gorgeous. Pics can be found here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-of-my-43-bezel-pendant-from-bn.65401/

Comparing it to my center stone in my wedding band that is an H ACA that has the combo of 35/40.9, they both look very very beautiful. They do look slightly different, but the differences are very subtle. I think the 34/41 looks a little whiter and brighter, but it still seems to have substantial fire. Both are really beautiful and it is very hard to notice the differences between the stones unless you stare at them for several minutes. I really like both stones and I can''t pick a favorite. They are both really lovely stones.
I think you are spot on and well said :}
There will be slight personality difference in some lighting between symetrical well cut stones in the 2 combos but both can be first rate.

96TL

Shiny_Rock
Not to go off topic, but I just remembered something. My GIA certificate shows the crown and pavillion angles being 35/40.8. My appraisal shows the angles as 35.1/41. The appraiser told me its probably just be a slight variation between the megascopes, and that its perfectly normal. Does that sound probable to you guys? I know its not a big difference, I just thought these machines were always right on.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 7:14:35 PM
Not to go off topic, but I just remembered something. My GIA certificate shows the crown and pavillion angles being 35/40.8. My appraisal shows the angles as 35.1/41. The appraiser told me its probably just be a slight variation between the megascopes, and that its perfectly normal. Does that sound probable to you guys? I know its not a big difference, I just thought these machines were always right on.
sarin and megascope will give different numbers with the top end sarin the more accurate of the 2 in most cases.
There will be different numbers between the low end sarin and high end also.

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Once the bottom main angles go over 41 degrees the center of the stone ( between the table reflection around the culet and the stars) begins to darken.

The greater the error over 40.75, the more evident it is to the naked eye.

Since most conumers don''t have the redfield images to compare to when they''re shopping in a store.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Many very well made comments here folks.

But the basic data from aGS''s earlier charts was a safe allowance for small symmetry deviations.

When entering parametric (perfectly sym virtual diamond models) into AGS''s software as it stood early this year the range does include more steep deep combinations.

This chart has GIA''s grade letter first, and AGS''s grade next. The red box is AGS''s 0 range.

But even more interesting is that rough diamond planning software is available with AGS PGS system built in - that should see the cutting of more diamond in the extreme ends of these charts and also pushing out the table ranges from this chart - but also the very small and potentially very large table sizes - where the range was about 6% under the old aGS system - it is now greater than 15%.

PGS Charts March 2007 created by Cut Group based on the results of AGS Performance Grading Software®
Parameters used in PGS: 3% girdle bezel, 55% Star (45% upper girdle) and 80% lower girdle facet length (81.5% lower facet depth).

AGS pgs2007 compared on gIA2.jpg

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Garry,
Really interesting. Can you start a new thread with more examples of the expanded AGS grading. It would also be helpful if you also outlined the older, more conservative AGS0 boundaries. Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/12/2007 8:38:19 PM
Author: whatmeworry
Garry,
Really interesting. Can you start a new thread with more examples of the expanded AGS grading. It would also be helpful if you also outlined the older, more conservative AGS0 boundaries. Thanks.
Sorry WMW, but flat out like a lizard drinking.
There are other threads where this was discussed around april I think.

And there was an example of a stone with new AGS 0 that was steepish deepish outside the 2006 estimated safe cutters guide boundary

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 8:54:40 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Garry,

And there was an example of a stone with new AGS 0 that was steepish deepish outside the 2006 estimated safe cutters guide boundary
No worries, mate!

http://www.aussieslang.com/qsearch.asp?txtSrch=flat+out+like+a+lizard+drinking&chkall=2&chkmatch=0&chkSource=0

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 9:11:17 PM

Garry,

No worries, mate!

http://www.aussieslang.com/qsearch.asp?txtSrch=flat+out+like+a+lizard+drinking&chkall=2&chkmatch=0&chkSource=0
Now there''s a useful link, by way of explanation!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

Garry,

Go lay on a hot rock Garry.
2.gif
Here are the links WMW.

in this thread. Buckle your seat belt.

As we discussed the AGSL system being fluid to account for variations in any specific diamond we discovered the original cut guidelines were conservative scenarios. The PGS data is 'best case' because it assumes perfect optical symmetry which, as Paul said earlier, is basically impossible to cut. So what will any particular combo get at the lab? I wrote this above:

'Borderline configurations can be + or – a grade, depending on how well (or not) they are cut and perform at the lab.Minor facets, brillianteering, optical symmetry and consistency influence the grade. Each diamond is judged in the AGSL ray trace, which accounts for all 57 facets (not just c/p angle).That’s why it may be possible for c/p 41/35 to earn values for 0 if all facets work in perfect harmony.'

What would be helpful for this thread (if there is interest) is for someone to produce an AGS DQD for a 41/35.x combo that earned 0 in light performance. I’ve seen it for 41/34.x diamonds but not 41/35. Of course, we're tangent-ing to the 'paper' rather than 'the stone' again...
1.gif
(what? never on PS!)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 9:23:41 PM

we're tangent-ing to the 'paper' rather than 'the stone' again...

1.gif
(what? never on PS!)

It is natural for an online community to navigate too paper and images.
What are the 4 most important things for an online seller...
1: reputation
2: communication
3: images
4: paper(grading report, sarin/helium scans)
Without using any images or paper and without referring to either tell me why someone should buy an ACA over the IGI report steep/deep diamond that local chain store Z is selling in a manner that anyone can understand.
It cant be done....

Images and paper are powerful tools in the Internet selling/buying arena for both vendors and consumers.

Date: 7/12/2007 9:56:10 PM

we're tangent-ing to the 'paper' rather than 'the stone' again...

1.gif
(what? never on PS!)

Without using any images or paper and without referring to either tell me why someone should buy an ACA over the IGI report steep/deep diamond that local chain store Z is selling in a manner that anyone can understand.

It cant be done....

Images and paper are powerful tools in the Internet selling/buying arena for both vendors and consumers.

And it is so much more relaxing than having to go sit in a jewelry store and analyze diamonds under that one particular lighting while listening to all kinds of made up and false information. Of course if you can find a great guy like the one down at Heathcliffs here in SC, well then it might be more stressful to do it online, but on average this paper and image method is just so much more pleasant I can't even begin to describe the difference.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Garry, John thank you. I guess I knew it was possible to get an AGS0 even with crown/pav angles outside the AGS0 box that shows up in the Pricescope Cut Advisor tool. I even bought a couple of them. What surprises me is really how much larger the theoretical boundary is.

Garry''s post is still very enlightening. The theoretical boundaries of AGS0 now covers 44 squares whereas in John Q''s post of 3/14/2006 with more conservative boundaries it was only 12 squares (okay the star length is different). The differences between theoretical AGS Ideal and theoretical GIA Excellent is not as wide as I previously believed.

If PGS is embedded in the rough planning software, it wouldn''t surprise me to eventually see someone stand on the edge of cliff at 35.5/41.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/13/2007 2:07:02 AM
Garry, John thank you. I guess I knew it was possible to get an AGS0 even with crown/pav angles outside the AGS0 box that shows up in the Pricescope Cut Advisor tool. I even bought a couple of them. What surprises me is really how much larger the theoretical boundary is.

Garry''s post is still very enlightening. The theoretical boundaries of AGS0 now covers 44 squares whereas in John Q''s post of 3/14/2006 with more conservative boundaries it was only 12 squares (okay the star length is different). The differences between theoretical AGS Ideal and theoretical GIA Excellent is not as wide as I previously believed.

If PGS is embedded in the rough planning software, it wouldn''t surprise me to eventually see someone stand on the edge of cliff at 35.5/41.
Even in the case of very sharp H&A''s and great star / lgf length stones it seems tiny deviations in real stones as run in Diamcalc BLR results WMW, the real stones struggle to score as high as parametric virtual stones.
So I think there is some validity to AGS''s ''candidate'' charts. But maybe there is 12 safe squares with borderline pass in AGS ideal symetry and for very fine sym the sum looks like this 44-12=32 32/2=16
So 16 half squares, plus 12 = 28 or there abouts
20.gif

And the chart uses squares, where as reality is not a bunch jaggared edged boxes.

But the crazy totally unsustainable thing are the little islands like the one in the upper right of the chart I posted. I doubt that nature works that way. But who knows?

I still have always believed the primary weakness of AGS''s system is that they use an observer that is too large and too close to the diamond in their models. This favours the additinal contrast in deeper stones and penalizes shallower stones. It also makes dirty diamonds look deader.
But it seems it is up to me to prove that

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 2:38:30 AM

I still have always believed the primary weakness of AGS''s system is that they use an observer that is too large and too close to the diamond in their models. This favours the additinal contrast in deeper stones and penalizes shallower stones. It also makes dirty diamonds look deader.
But it seems it is up to me to prove that
Garry, just solve scintillation and you and the Cut Group will be legends
1.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/12/2007 9:56:10 PM

we''re tangent-ing to the ''paper'' rather than ''the stone'' again...

1.gif
(what? never on PS!)

It cant be done....

Au contaire mon ami!

It is easily done. ACA has the reputation and communication referred to as 1 and 2 in your list. You have rightfully placed images and paper in positions 3 and 4.

For some, probably for sure you, that would be not sufficient were the images and paper not available, and thus you would never buy online. For others, a community such as this would provide the comfort level to buy from Whiteflash or others based on items one and 2 above as clearly their online reputation and communication skills are heads and shoulders above those of IGI and chain store Z.

Please never forget that for the bulk of us who sell in the "real world" as well as on line, that the vast majority of our clients NEVER ask about the paper. Our in house clients come here because of our reputation and buy from us because of our ability to communicate our love for our stones to them. So it is not only possible, but done every day, only usually not on the net.

Wink

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 10:10:12 AM
Author: Wink

Au contaire mon ami!

It is easily done. ACA has the reputation and communication referred to as 1 and 2 in your list. You have rightfully placed images and paper in positions 3 and 4.

For some, probably for sure you, that would be not sufficient were the images and paper not available, and thus you would never buy online. For others, a community such as this would provide the comfort level to buy from Whiteflash or others based on items one and 2 above as clearly their online reputation and communication skills are heads and shoulders above those of IGI and chain store Z.

Please never forget that for the bulk of us who sell in the ''real world'' as well as on line, that the vast majority of our clients NEVER ask about the paper. Our in house clients come here because of our reputation and buy from us because of our ability to communicate our love for our stones to them. So it is not only possible, but done every day, only usually not on the net.

Wink
Wink,
I love your passion for diamonds and gemstones.
Online and in person are 2 different markets and when they are sitting accross from you it can be done, online it can''t.
I think its kinda wierd not too discuss the lab results even in person before buying but if it works for you thats kewl :}

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I find it actually detrimental to my sales to stress over the documentation in person. It puts the ladies to sleep and then when they wake up they get cranky.

I usually do about a ten minute presentation on diamonds, cut color and clarity, slap it on the ASET desktop and the beauty of the ASET image takes their breath away and the guy gets out his check book. (Yes, that is really old school, now he gets out his mileage plus card.)

It takes me on average one to three hours to sell a diamond on the net. It takes me less than thirty minutes on average to sell a diamond in house, the other half hour is spent getting to know one another and sharing stories. As anyone who has ever called me knows, I do love to talk.

Wink

P.S. With the communicator it is becoming more possible since I can show the ASET image and other closeups of the diamond via the communicator. It is a wonderful tool!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 10:44:53 AM
Author: Wink
I find it actually detrimental to my sales to stress over the documentation in person. It puts the ladies to sleep and then when they wake up they get cranky.

I usually do about a ten minute presentation on diamonds, cut color and clarity, slap it on the ASET desktop and the beauty of the ASET image takes their breath away and the guy gets out his check book. (Yes, that is really old school, now he gets out his mileage plus card.)

It takes me on average one to three hours to sell a diamond on the net. It takes me less than thirty minutes on average to sell a diamond in house, the other half hour is spent getting to know one another and sharing stories. As anyone who has ever called me knows, I do love to talk.

Wink

P.S. With the communicator it is becoming more possible since I can show the ASET image and other closeups of the diamond via the communicator. It is a wonderful tool!
There is that pesky word image again.
Images are powerful enough that you started using them in your in store sales, you just bypass the using the camera step.
I get what your saying and coming from Wink but I just had to point that out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results