shape
carat
color
clarity

4.40ct Pink Sapphire ring - Keep or send back?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the rich purplish-pink color of the sapphire! What a great find!
I really enjoy working with Jerry Newman at Gemart Services for stone tweaks. He will give an honest evaluation by email if you reach out to him. I think he would need to have the stone sent to him loose though.
David Klass also should be able to help you with it. He mentioned to me once that he works with someone who does a great job on polishing out abrasion. He could also polish the metal and tighten the prongs while he has the ring.
Thank you for your recommendation! I just reached out to both Jerry and DK. It's funny but it never occurred to me that DK would have a polisher on his team. That would certainly be convenient. :mrgreen:

I personally trust Jerry Newman and have sent stones to him in the past.
Thank you! I just reached out to him to see what he thinks.

Your other 2 rings are gorgeous BTW!
The new ring is a nice size sapphire with a pretty color.
Did you purchase it at a good price to compensate for the cost repolishing?
Thank you. I added them in to give a better idea of color / saturation. They are a couple of my favorites. :mrgreen: I did get a good price on the ring and it looks better in person than I had hoped so I think a little re-polishing would be worth it.

You have a GIA report that identifys the stone without carat weight - if you ever want to sell it - you are covered!
Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't realized that. I assumed I would have to get a new report once it was polished.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can get that report upgraded if the stone looses a tiny bit of mm's - for a reduced price after it is reset.
Or when loose get a full report with weight.
I will give you 50:50 odds the stone is not exactly 4ct when it is removed and weighed.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would leave it alone for now.
Why? its going to get wear and tear as time goes on while your wearing it so wait until its more obvious to get it re-polished and cleaned up.
Someone mentioned synthetic as weaker, synthetic sapphire is tougher than the vast majority of mined sapphire out there.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would leave it alone for now.
Why? its going to get wear and tear as time goes on while your wearing it so wait until its more obvious to get it re-polished and cleaned up.
Someone mentioned synthetic as weaker, synthetic sapphire is tougher than the vast majority of mined sapphire out there.
Disagree Karl, the OP is considering reseting it and that is the perfect time to repolish.
Having done this at least 1,000 times for clients over 4.5 decades - I have been accused of swapping gems for better stones by clients! The tiny scratches that we can not see really dull the stone.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Disagree Karl, the OP is considering reseting it and that is the perfect time to repolish.
Having done this at least 1,000 times for clients over 4.5 decades - I have been accused of swapping gems for better stones by clients! The tiny scratches that we can not see really dull the stone.
I missed that a reset was being considered.
That changes things and I would probably have it done while being reset.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is lovely. I would not polish it -- then you would be forced to track every nick and abrasion that it collects under your watchful eye! The stone is pretty exposed. I do not know if it is original to the ring but it was mounted high like that before, based on where the "door-dings" are.

Performance still looks good. It's a big stone so the abrasions are small relative to the length of the meet-lines, imo. Spouse "loved" her sapphire over a decade of hard daily wear -- to the point that it needed to be "re-polished." Looks "like new" now but we both like it a little less (crisper-looking but lost some of the glow) and she's afraid to beat it up now...

I view it like refinishing hardwood floors. You can always do it next year. And there are a finite number of times you can do it. We had a second leak in our home shortly after our floors dried out from the first leak. Was really glad that we we did not refinish the floors :mrgreen2:.

EDIT: I think that was a steal at $4K, if I read correctly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s any consolation, I have the auction catalog for Elizabeth Taylor’s jewels when she passed away in 2011. Her ruby ring, a drop dead gorgeous Burmese gem of eight carats, was blown up in detail in that catalog. OMG did that stone have facet abrasions!! She obviously didn’t care, and that’s a multi million dollar gem, and she loved that stone calling it the “most perfect colored gem she ever saw.” The abrasions were obviously a sign it was well loved! I suspect a prior owner of your gem felt the same way.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it’s any consolation, I have the auction catalog for Elizabeth Taylor’s jewels when she passed away in 2011. Her ruby ring, a drop dead gorgeous Burmese gem of eight carats, was blown up in detail in that catalog. OMG did that stone have facet abrasions!! She obviously didn’t care, and that’s a multi million dollar gem, and she loved that stone calling it the “most perfect colored gem she ever saw.” The abrasions were obviously a sign it was well loved! I suspect a prior owner of your gem felt the same way.

Every sapphire or ruby that has been worn every day for +10 years needs repolishing at the time the prongs need retipping.
It makes sense not to let the bench jeweler decide to tip in-situ and remove the stone and solder on fresh prongs. Most sapphires do not mind being heated to red hot (covered in a flux) but any veils and fissures will expand and cause tears!
To not repolish this beautiful gem when resetting is plain and simply stoopid.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will give you 50:50 odds the stone is not exactly 4ct when it is removed and weighed.
Do'H
I just noticed the topic of the thread - the stone is 4.40ct - I had it in mind as 4.00ct.
There is no way on this planet that a professional repolisher will take this stone under 4.20ct.
It may only loose as little as 0.05ct

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I looked at the pics, the amount of abrasions led me to think the stone may be a Tourmaline rather than a Sapphire!

The colour is nice and it is a good size.

I believe the Sapphire is a good candidate for a precision re-cut, and would only buy the ring if the price is right.

Personal opinions/preferences and all that.

DK :))

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is lovely. I would not polish it -- then you would be forced to track every nick and abrasion that it collects under your watchful eye! The stone is pretty exposed. I do not know if it is original to the ring but it was mounted high like that before, based on where the "door-dings" are.

Performance still looks good. It's a big stone so the abrasions are small relative to the length of the meet-lines, imo. Spouse "loved" her sapphire over a decade of hard daily wear -- to the point that it needed to be "re-polished." Looks "like new" now but we both like it a little less (crisper-looking but lost some of the glow) and she's afraid to beat it up now...

I view it like refinishing hardwood floors. You can always do it next year. And there are a finite number of times you can do it. We had a second leak in our home shortly after our floors dried out from the first leak. Was really glad that we we did not refinish the floors :mrgreen2:.

EDIT: I think that was a steal at $4K, if I read correctly.
You did read that correctly. :mrgreen:

I do love a “well loved” gem but I’ll be the first to admit that I try not to loupe my gemstone rings because I’m afraid of what I’ll see. :lol: In this case I’m considering polishing it because I’ll be switching out the setting and I’d love to put her best foot forward.

Man, who doesn’t get gobsmacked at the sight of Elizabeth Taylor’s jewelry collection?! :kiss2: I just went and looked up her ruby ring and…wowza! That‘s an incredible gem! I think there’s something special about a person wearing their jewelry with all that joy and appreciation. Both Elizabeth Taylor and the prior owner of this ring.

Do'H
I just noticed the topic of the thread - the stone is 4.40ct - I had it in mind as 4.00ct.
There is no way on this planet that a professional repolisher will take this stone under 4.20ct.
It may only loose as little as 0.05ct
Thank you for chiming in. I just sent it out to DK to have his polisher check it out. I really hope to lose as little as possible.

When I looked at the pics, the amount of abrasions led me to think the stone may be a Tourmaline rather than a Sapphire!

The colour is nice and it is a good size.

I believe the Sapphire is a good candidate for a precision re-cut, and would only buy the ring if the price is right.

Personal opinions/preferences and all that.

DK :))

Thank you. The price was good, which is the only reason I’d consider taking on this project. I don’t think I’ll be doing a precision recut because I don’t want to lose a lot of weight. Right now I’m interested in having it polished up.
Late to the discussion but have to tell you I love it!! That pink with slight purple tinge gets me weak in the knees. Absolutely keep it. To me color is #1. If you love it-keep her. I was going to say what @2Neezers did...I bet DK could take care of the whole thing. (One stop bling shop.) :)
Thank you! I love the purple pink color too! I actually just sent it over to DK today. The polisher is going to take a look before I make any final decisions. :mrgreen:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is going to look like a handfull of exquisite hard candy when you're done with it..what a gem of a find and WHAT a gorgeous color..can't wait to see it finished.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to look like a handfull of exquisite hard candy when you're done with it..what a gem of a find and WHAT a gorgeous color..can't wait to see it finished.

Thank you so much! I can’t claim the find, as that right goes to the lovely @Rfisher. She knew I was looking for something like this and was sweet enough to send me the link. No one enables you as well as a fellow bling fanatic. :love::lol:

I just sent it to DK so I’m crossing my fingers while I wait to hear what the polisher thinks. Feeling optimistic.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! I can’t claim the find, as that right goes to the lovely @Rfisher. She knew I was looking for something like this and was sweet enough to send me the link. No one enables you as well as a fellow bling fanatic. :love::lol:

I just sent it to DK so I’m crossing my fingers while I wait to hear what the polisher thinks. Feeling optimistic.

Man oh man I thought hitting a ‘buy it’ button on a gamble piece myself was nerve wrenching enough.
But suggesting something for someone else to buy is x10!!
- my intestines are still in knots :lol: :lol:

I do hope DK can get you an answer (no guarantees of course) before your return period is up.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man oh man I thought hitting a ‘buy it’ button on a gamble piece myself was nerve wrenching enough.
But suggesting something for someone else to buy is x10!!
- my intestines are still in knots :lol: :lol:

I do hope DK can get you an answer (no guarantees of course) before your return period is up.

Oh man, I can only imagine. Too much pressure! :shock: Still, I’m grateful to you for looking around for me. It’s beyond sweet.:love:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It‘s beautiful!! I know you are going to enjoy wearing it, Elle. What a great find!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point in my life, I'm thrilled about the ring, but the real meaning is @Rfisher being so selfless as to link you to such a beautiful ring. Gets me all choked up...:cry2: I mean, that's what friends are for, right?! :lol-2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It‘s beautiful!! I know you are going to enjoy wearing it, Elle. What a great find!!
Thank you. I‘m not going to complain about the finger coverage, that’s for sure! :lol:

At this point in my life, I'm thrilled about the ring, but the real meaning is @Rfisher being so selfless as to link you to such a beautiful ring. Gets me all choked up...:cry2: I mean, that's what friends are for, right?! :lol-2:

Yes, 100%! @Rfisher is the real gem here! :love: :mrgreen:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As someone who has not left well-enough alone with an old cut stone, and got my antique diamond repolished due to small abrasions... I would strongly urge NO repolish. Your current cut is GORGEOUS. I’d look at it for the artistry of that cut, the way the cut enables that luscious rich color, and just basically, being the way it is as a relic of a different era of stone cutting. Your halo idea looks FABULOUS, and I’d seek out old cuts for the halo. This is just my opinion.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the colour and ring but wouldn’t touch the sapphire. Leave well alone. One of the abrasions looks like it’s by a natural inclusion that could open up another world of issues. Nobody gets close enough (apart from PSers) to notice things like this. It’s not worth the risk.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on how deep the abrasions are. Sometimes a partial recut is needed if they are too deep, less the stone's table and crown looks wonky after just a repolish.

Best advice is to send it into someone who recuts/repolishes stones to see what they say. Looking at blown up pictures just won't help a lot. A cutter/polisher will need to see it in person.

I’d do it before they become worse and then you would need a crown/table recut.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Just read you are sending to a lapidary to evaluate. Good deal. Doing the best thing.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a terrible poster. I swear I didn’t abandon this thread. I just sort of…temporary abandoned it…:shifty:

I sent the ring to DK and he removed it from the setting. His polisher did an amazing job. Seriously, I think it looks fantastic! :kiss2: It was very inexpensive for anyone considering having a gem polished. Definitely was worth it to me. It was a nice bonus to be able to send it to someone I’ve already worked with and trust.

Pre polish stats (from the Gia report on the set ring):
4.4cts (11.21mm x 8.44mm x 5.83mm)

Post polish stats:
4.70cts (11.16mm x 8.38mm x 5.72mm)

Now for the pics. I took a screenshot from the first video just in case you don’t want to watch. :mrgreen: I’ll admit, I was initially terrified when I saw this video. There’s a large noticeable mark on the upper left side and all those horror stories of cuttings / polishings gone wrong started flashing through my mind. Thankfully, Amy let me know it was just some leftover wax. *Insert deep sigh of relief here.* I saw it in person (and under my loupe) and it looks gorgeous! I’m very happy with how it turned out.

The stone is now with AGL. I figured an updated report on the stone was in order, especially since it’s loose.

650917A1-167A-42BC-8706-814E9B71FA28.jpeg

Videos:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s amazing they can do that - repolish the scratches out like that.
and what a surprise on the carat weight - wow.

Can’t wait to hear what AGL says. (Not that I expect anything different from GIA, but still…..)
I’ll attempt to not bug you again in a couple weeks. I’m sure the wait is hard enough without me poking - ha!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results