shape
carat
color
clarity

4.40ct Pink Sapphire ring - Keep or send back?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a preloved pink sapphire ring on Etsy and I could really use some advice from my fellow bling lovers. It’s not precision cut, which I’m ok with. However, there are quite a few surface abrasions on the sapphire. There are also a couple inclusions but it’s the abrasions I’m most concerned with. I’m still within my return / refund period so I’m looking for opinions.

Has anyone polished out these kinds of abrasions? How much weight did you lose? I’m deciding if it’s worth getting into a project with this little lady.

Heres a pic of the whole ring, before I get into the macro shots of the inclusions / abrasions.

48643AB5-F1E0-4537-B7E7-1B564E0587C7.jpeg

And now the close up pics with my loupe.
FEA4C817-F822-44DF-A2C2-B3175BC0D865.jpeg 194C07F9-BE5E-4A9F-981C-DFB810BA8A43.jpeg 40347111-B086-4C56-BAF7-7D84B1044064.jpeg

Is that round blotch an inclusion or damage?
692F705F-1187-4801-B09D-ED49B5125020.jpeg

I really don’t see anything with just my eyes, except for this surface abrasion (along the left center facets). When the sun hits it, I can make out a line.
406F8F7E-1118-4994-A457-7650E5C9CC12.jpeg F47A8D0A-46DC-444D-9720-C29AD03B762A.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I'm curious too:think: I bet just a light polish wouldn't drastically affect weight. If you can't really see them I wouldn't be too fashed about them.

There is a lot to love about that ring and that sapphire is a honking good size with great color!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you really really like the color?
What does it do in artificial lighting? Bleed or go grey/mute?
Basically I’m asking Is it worthy of entry into your gorgeous collection of vivid and saturated?

It’s a lovely size on your tiny fingers tho!
If it could be a project stone - how interesting!!!!!
But I could see, also, not having an issue with it is, as is.

Out of morbid (nosy) curiosity, do you have a UV light?

Last edited:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for keep. What a pretty color!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love it! It is beautiful and such a rich color. I also don’t have any expertise about polishing abrasions etc. I suppose some of it depends on the price you paid. Like if you got a real deal then I would be even more inclined to keep it. I’m still inclined because it’s so beautiful!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The lustre is just amazing! If the abrasions affected the sparkle then I would do it, but it seems like you don’t notice it with the naked eye, which is how you’re seeing it most of the time.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous color!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure it’s a natural sapphire?

Does it have the proper paperwork?

That would be my biggest concern.

As for facet abrasions, I’ve seen them on corundum, but considering what a hard stone it is, I’m trying to think what caused all that other abrasion on the girdle.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

As for facet abrasions, I’ve seen them on corundum, but considering what a hard stone it is, I’m trying to think what caused all that other abrasion on the girdle.

Good point - is it natural.
The abrasion could well come from diamond worn adjacent.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In agreement with @T L I do think a polish is also a good idea.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is SO pretty!! I can't help with your questions, but it really is lovely.
Thank you. :love:

I love it and I would leave it alone since minor abrasions doesn’t bother me unless it on the table and will affect performance. But that’s just me. Enjoy your new bling. :D
Thanks for your input. I was a little nervous with the vendors pics but I was happily surprised at how much better it looks in person.

Ooh, I'm curious too:think: I bet just a light polish wouldn't drastically affect weight. If you can't really see them I wouldn't be too fashed about them.

There is a lot to love about that ring and that sapphire is a honking good size with great color!
Thank you! It is a great size and I love that about it so I would hate to see it lose a lot of weight being polished. On the good side, they really aren't very noticeable to the naked eye.

It's gorgeous and looks beautiful on you! Maybe one of the gem experts or jewelers on here will chime in.

Thank you! :mrgreen:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you really really like the color?
What does it do in artificial lighting? Bleed or go grey/mute?
Basically I’m asking Is it worthy of entry into your gorgeous collection of vivid and saturated?

It’s a lovely size on your tiny fingers tho!
If it could be a project stone - how interesting!!!!!
But I could see, also, not having an issue with it is, as is.

Out of morbid (nosy) curiosity, do you have a UV light?

I actually really do like the color. It may not be as saturated as some of my other gems but it's beautiful in its own right. I especially like the purple tint to it. I'm also happy that it looks pretty clean to the naked eye.

I do have a UV light. I'll try and pull that out later.

It’s gorgeous gorgeous GORGEOUS!
Doesn’t bother me a bit

Thank you! :mrgreen:

Another vote for keep. What a pretty color!
Thank you! I really like the purple pink color on it. I'm leaning towards keep right now but I may reach out to someone to see how much I could lose if I have the abrasions buffed out. Decisions, decisions. lol

I love it! It is beautiful and such a rich color. I also don’t have any expertise about polishing abrasions etc. I suppose some of it depends on the price you paid. Like if you got a real deal then I would be even more inclined to keep it. I’m still inclined because it’s so beautiful!
Thank you. I think I paid a fair price for it (~4k) and I believe it would be a challenge to find a similar 4ct stone in this price range. That alone makes me think I should keep it. The thought that I could do a cluster halo on it makes me like it even more. :lol:

Oh my. That looks delicious.

Thank you!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes to keeping it! Very good pricepoint! Love the crystal clarity!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will loose maybe 5-10 points - definitely do it - and have the yuck prongs pushed over and made into tallons when resetting it.
The cut is way better than most colored gems.
Thank you for your input. Ideally, I'd like to keep it over 4cts because the size certainly plays a role for me. 5-10 points doesn't seem too bad.

I would likely be resetting it into a halo ring...with claw prongs of course. :mrgreen:

The lustre is just amazing! If the abrasions affected the sparkle then I would do it, but it seems like you don’t notice it with the naked eye, which is how you’re seeing it most of the time.
Thank you. It does look lovely in person. It's mostly the abrasions I'm worried about. I really don't see them with the exception of the two along the facets at the left side of the table (pic shown above). Under direct sunlight, that tends to catch the light and looks kind of like a really thin line, if that makes sense. Not bad, just a little more noticeable.

Gorgeous color!
Thank you.

It does. It came with a GIA report, which I'll add in a second.

The abrasions on the girdle are at the north & south points of the ring. Maybe it rubbed against a wedding band?

I love this! I would definitely have her tidied up. That colour is so pretty!
Thank you. I'm going to have to reach out to a couple people in the trade.

In agreement with @T L I do think a polish is also a good idea.
Thank you. I'm leaning that way too. While I can't really see them with my naked eye, they are still bothering me. lol.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have a recommendation on who could polish the abrasions off of the stone?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so happy that you are happy with it.

it’s going to make one absolutely freaking amazing cluster for you.
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

hopefully some people’s will chime in on repolishing recommendations and experiences.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the rich purplish-pink color of the sapphire! What a great find!
I really enjoy working with Jerry Newman at Gemart Services for stone tweaks. He will give an honest evaluation by email if you reach out to him. I think he would need to have the stone sent to him loose though.
David Klass also should be able to help you with it. He mentioned to me once that he works with someone who does a great job on polishing out abrasion. He could also polish the metal and tighten the prongs while he has the ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally trust Jerry Newman and have sent stones to him in the past.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Your other 2 rings are gorgeous BTW!
The new ring is a nice size sapphire with a pretty color.
Did you purchase it at a good price to compensate for the cost repolishing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results