shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stoned setting...and then the diamond!

puncho

Rough_Rock
Hi all, stumbled across this website and wow the amount of knowledge here is great. I didn't know there was so much to know about diamonds, really opened up my eyes!

So I'm looking at a 3 stone (round diamond flanked by side trillion diamonds) setting for an e-ring. I'm reading through the tutorials right now and looking for a 1-1.2 carat, but in the meantime, my gf's sister told me about a setting that she liked and I contacted the jeweler. 1_456.jpg
Is there a name for the setting?

He mentioned that the setting (14K Gold) would cost around 1550 to 2000 USD (2000 to 2500 CAD, since he's in Vancouver) depending on the stones (she wants the trillion diamonds, 0.25 - 0.3 carats depending on size of main stone, instead of the 3 separate ones), and there's an additional $400 for diamond insurance for the setting process since I will be getting the main stone elsewhere. They will also charge an additional $230 to change the design of the ring (she would want thinner prongs, slightly higher setting on the diamonds).

Does this sound reasonable? If not, any recommendations on any jewelers in the Seattle area? What about online? My only hesitation with using someone else is if they are not able to accurately reproduce the setting (e.g. height and angle of the side trillion diamonds) since as we all know attention is in the details!

16_4.jpg
Top one

10_13.jpg
Top one again

Thanks for any insight!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does that cost include the trillions? I would most definitely get at least one other quote from a reputable bench before committing. The thing is, if you go with a well regarded online vendor, they will do a CAD of the setting and work with you on the details and you will approve of the details along the way (unless you are getting something hand forged). The jeweler you are considering should be doing the same.

I would insure the loose diamond yourself so you shouldn't have to pay extra for insurance. When the diamond is set, you can update the policy to cover the whole ring.

Greenlake Jewelers comes to mind as far as custom work in the Seattle area. David Klass does very nice custom work at reasonable cost. He's in LA.

Do a search for both in the search bar to see examples of their work.

Edited to say: I understand you wanting to get the details right. That setting is not complicated or elaborate so any good bench should be able to get it right with your input.

Where are you getting the center stone?

https://www.facebook.com/greenlakejewelry/

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com

https://www.facebook.com/david.klass.jewelry/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 400 dollars is unreasonable I feel. And the 250 for the design change, well, that depends if the original price includes the trillions or not.

puncho

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies!

I'll take a look at the greenlake one.

The quote includes the trillion diamonds. Yes they'll do a CAD and then print out a 3D resin of the setting. I'll be looking at the center stone here using the pricescope search after I've read up all the advanced tutorials.

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if it includes the diamond, that's good. Setting an outside stone should NOT cost so much though. Maximium 100 USD.

So what is your stone budget and what do you want for it?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
There are lots of examples of 3 stone rings with a modern round center stone and flanked by trillions. I don't see why the jeweler would need to adapt that setting? That kind of sets off alarm bells for me.
Those are most likely stock settings and not start from scratch custom.
I would do a search here for 3 stone with trillions and look at examples, as well as look at who made them.
Also I would focus on finding the right center stone first before you do anything other than talk about the setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results