shape
carat
color
clarity

25th wedding anniversary -diamond selection help

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE! So, we have purchased this diamond to be set in a pave' setting. It should arrive early next week. I'm soooo excited. Our plan is to see the diamond in person. If we like it (which I really have no doubts that we will) we will be ordering a 4-5 carat diamond from JannPaul and also a diamond to match this one for a pair of diamond stud earrings. But this way if we don't like it we aren't out the cost of the larger diamond up front and we'll look elsewhere for our "special" ring. I seriously doubt that will be the case, but I feel more comfortable this way since I've never seen a MMD in person, or a cut like this in person, or bought a diamond sight unseen from a foreign country from someone I've never met. So, I'm just more comfortable seeing how this purchase goes before I make a really BIG purchase. Probably unnecessary but I feel more comfortable about it. They said It will take 3-4 maybe 5 months for JannPaul to fill the larger diamond size order.

Anyway, here is the link to the diamond we have purchased:

A new JP Nova - incredible!!!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, please post photos and video! We haven’t seen a Nova yet! And next week??? Yay!!!

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
Ok, @DejaWiz - HELP!! I'm back to the starting point. I'm hoping you can help me sift through all the diamonds. I received my JannPaul diamond. It is beautiful. I have to say that I am disappointed in the setting. I feel it was pretty high priced for what it is. The diamond itself is beautiful. But, in order to get a diamond in the 5-6 carat size it will take 5-6 months, and frankly I don't really want to wait that long if there is something just as nice here. We (my husband and I) would really like to have a new ring by Christmas. I've been searching and have come up with a couple but you seem to have more search capabilities? I have not been able to find any more GCAL 8X diamonds - and I'm wondering - how important is that? I found quite a few GIA diamonds on Adiamor but none are GCAL 8X - again, how important is that? Thoughts? These are only 2 Adiamor has quite a few but I didn't want to list them all.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...r-vs1-clarity-round-ideal-cut-lab-sku-p266798

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Ok, @DejaWiz - HELP!! I'm back to the starting point. I'm hoping you can help me sift through all the diamonds. I received my JannPaul diamond. It is beautiful. I have to say that I am disappointed in the setting. I feel it was pretty high priced for what it is. The diamond itself is beautiful. But, in order to get a diamond in the 5-6 carat size it will take 5-6 months, and frankly I don't really want to wait that long if there is something just as nice here. We (my husband and I) would really like to have a new ring by Christmas. I've been searching and have come up with a couple but you seem to have more search capabilities? I have not been able to find any more GCAL 8X diamonds - and I'm wondering - how important is that? I found quite a few GIA diamonds on Adiamor but none are GCAL 8X - again, how important is that? Thoughts? These are only 2 Adiamor has quite a few but I didn't want to list them all.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...r-vs1-clarity-round-ideal-cut-lab-sku-p266798

Sorry to hear that toadallyfoxy. JP's enhanced light performance "white series" diamond cuts are proprietary so can't be purchased in the US but you will be spoiled for choice when it comes to standard super ideal cuts.
Can you post a photo of the ring? Very curious. I've got one coming myself.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Hi toadallyfoxy!
The 5.7x from my other post looks to still be available...lots of options in the 5+ carat D-F VS1 or better range.

How do I upload a video?

I typically use Imgur, but there are many other video hosting sites that you can upload to them post the link here in your thread.

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Thanks for uploading those images and Gcal report! It's nice to see the Nova in the wild! If you have a video you can click the drop down menu next to the smiley face and copy the URL from any of the sites listed or right click on a Youtube video > copy embed code > paste it directly in a message.

Is there something in particular you are unhappy about with the ring? Also if it's not to intrusive how much you paid for the setting?
Is the metal 18kWG or platinum?

Last edited:

shellyisa

Rough_Rock

If you haven’t found a new stone yet, check out @OldWorldJewels on Instagram. I just purchased a large emerald cut through her, but had also looked at a 5+ carat round. She quoted me a fraction (around $11k a couple months ago) of what the cost is of the stones I saw posted above from Whiteflash and Adiamor. One of them was def a GCAL 8x stone, too! See link for the cert. I’ll see if I can find the video she had sent me, too.

5.09 F VS1 GCAL 8x Cert

Edited to add, I found the video tk the stone I had considered before I ended up with a 5.5 carat Emerald.

5.09 F VS1 video

IMG_5941.jpeg

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The Nova does have a slight transitional feel to its facets patterning. That’s a lot of melee on that setting. Would love to see all those sparkles if you figure out how to get videos up.

Sorry to hear that you’re disappointed after the long wait. I’m sure PS will come to your rescue!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you're let down by the setting. What is it you don't like about it? The diamond does look gorgeous, though!

1.61 ct, D, IF, GCAL8X
JannPaul Octagon Nova

IMG_7528.jpg IMG_7529.jpg IMG_7533.jpg IMG_7532.jpg IMG_7531.jpg

About to ask the literal dream to wed me.
I’ve been scouring the webs for something special. Then I came upon the nova, and it blew my socks off!

but this post got me unraveled - I’m in talks about a natural ~ 1.25ct,
but I’m honestly disappointed by these pictures, more so about the stone than the setting…

I legit thought JP was doing the lords work.. what do ya’ll think- back to the drawing board?

I’ve been scouring the webs for something special. Then I came upon the nova, and it blew my socks off!

but I’m honestly disappointed by these pictures, more so about the stone than the setting…

I legit thought JP was doing the lords work.. what do ya’ll think- back to the drawing board?

By the by, long time reader first time caller..
Have never, and I mean never posted about anything online, in any forum, ever, in my life.

But @DejaWiz is the goat, and I just gotta know.. if you had 6-12K to spend on an engagement ring .. what would you do?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
By the by, long time reader first time caller..
Have never, and I mean never posted about anything online, in any forum, ever, in my life.

But @DejaWiz is the goat, and I just gotta know.. if you had 6-12K to spend on an engagement ring .. what would you do?

Have you checked their YouTube? Their diamonds are fire.

Though, I'll concede that their settings are too busy or too delicate for me.

Have you checked their YouTube? Their diamonds are fire.

Though, I'll concede that their settings are too busy or too delicate for me.

That’s why I was dead set on getting one.. but did you see the pictures in this thread? As far as I know it’s the first pictures of
a nova in the real world.. aka ‘the wild’ .. 100% honest / by an unbiased consumer / unfiltered / in perfectly normal conditions

Last edited:

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock

I chose the decagon "King of H&A cuts" based on the below propaganda.

"
"

and

"
" title="

and

"
"

Here is a comparison video between the Nova and Decagon

"
"

To me I wouldn't be judging the diamonds based off the pictures above but that's just me. From what I understand they will make whatever ring you want.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I'm pretty sure there are some fingerprints on the stone in the photos of the Nova above. My decagon band is a true sparkler, and there are several other threads of PSers loving their JP stones and rings.

@momofive created her setting with them, as did I. They will CAD whatever you ask for.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That’s why I was dead set on getting one.. but did you see the pictures in this thread? As far as I know it’s the first pictures of
a nova in the real world.. aka ‘the wild’ .. 100% honest / by an unbiased consumer / unfiltered / in perfectly normal conditions

Yeah, I wouldn't judge on quick snaps. People here have bought JP and raved- this is the toughest crowd to impress with diamonds. Our resident gurus look at thousands of diamonds over time and if they say it's good, seriously, it's good.

* you've got two JP owners just in this thread telling you the deets.
You can also type in JannPaul in the PS search bar and it will bring up other people who've bought from them.

I chose the decagon "King of H&A cuts" based on the below propaganda.

"
"

and

"
" title="

and

"
"

Here is a comparison video between the Nova and Decagon

"
"

To me I wouldn't be judging the diamonds based off the pictures above but that's just me. From what I understand they will make whatever ring you want.

I’m very confused.
If I ever said I bought something off of propaganda, I would for sure be saying that as a forewarning.

I’m obviously not basing my life-decision off of random out of focus pictures on a forums.. but I think it’s relevant when the first person who posts about actuality of ‘the new holy grail’ of diamonds’ (or anything else for that matter).. it’s in one’s best interest to investigate.

Propaganda is our common downfall, after all.

Yeah, I wouldn't judge on quick snaps. People here have bought JP and raved- this is the toughest crowd to impress with diamonds. Our resident gurus look at thousands of diamonds over time and if they say it's good, seriously, it's good.

* you've got two JP owners just in this thread telling you the deets.
You can also type in JannPaul in the PS search bar and it will bring up other people who've bought from them.

Like, I hear you, but I also know that there are like a gazillion impressive ‘diamonds’ on Etsy. Until you see it I guess…

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
I’m very confused.
If I ever said I bought something off of propaganda, I would for sure be saying that as a forewarning.

I’m obviously not basing my life-decision off of random out of focus pictures on a forums.. but I think it’s relevant when the first person who posts about actuality of ‘the new holy grail’ of diamonds’ (or anything else for that matter).. it’s in one’s best interest to investigate.

Propaganda is our common downfall, after all.

I say propaganda in relation to all advertising and am very put off by marketing in general. Watch/listen to that FAQ and judge for yourself. I was instantly captured by the unreasonable levels of honesty. Maybe I was tricked though!

I say propaganda in relation to all advertising and am very put off by marketing in general. Watch/listen to that FAQ and judge for yourself. I was instantly captured by the unreasonable levels of honesty. Maybe I was tricked though!

Right, and you just happen to, conveniently, have the ultimate balance of skepticism and love. A lesser person would perhaps question how it is that you, a newly registered account, ‘broke the news’ on the nova.. and then subsequently is only commenting on posts where people can be tilted towards … dare I say it?? a brand which you may / or may not be affiliated. it’s almost like… oh I don’t know… it is a marketing ploy or something??

but what would be the benefit? probably ain’t worth-while spreading the word here.. not like anyone interested in buying diamonds ever peruse these grounds.. amirite?

Last edited:
18 posts.
I don’t think any is about anything but ‘JP
is hype’ jargon
IMG_2475.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2476.jpeg
    IMG_2476.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 4
I’m so ducking done..
I still a feel like a JP octa nova wouldve been amazing.. but now I’ll never know , cause I never trust shits who do ‘incognito advertising’.

I don't know what you paid but it may indeed have cost less than what a JP H&A cut oval would. You could always call or flick them an email to ask.

My experience - I was just about to buy the most perfect precision cut white flash round diamond, I was aware, of in the biggest size my gf would tolerate (1.5ct) for over 5000 aud (~3200USD). I called JP on a whim after watching his 1hr + video how he came up with the decagon. They had a decagon with better specs at the same size for 4000 aud (~2550USD). It is also not a one to one comparison because the decagon, if the propaganda is to be believed, performs 40-50% better in terms of "light performance" than a "super ideal" cut diamond.

There may be a similar value comparison to be made with the standard cut oval vs the H&A cut. It would at the very least completely eliminate the bowtie effect so something to ask yourself would be how much is that worth to you. Also I have heard the in terms of round cut diamonds at least, higher light performing diamonds can appear bigger than poorer light performing diamonds. As Jax mentioned though, it might not look like a traditional oval, if you absolutely need that then don't hesitate, just get the regular cut oval and be happy!. For me anyway, I value that the diamond cut I am getting as an E ring is special and not very many people in my area will have, The diamond in the video is a massive size (for me) and pretty special in its own way, each to their own I suppose.

For me, at the carat weight my partner wanted, I thankfully wasn't budget constrained. But if I was, and I didn't have a size limit (or minimum), I would have focussed on maximising cut/"light performance" first then work out how much size I could get based on my budget.

The ring is also something that could be factored in. A ring in platinum 950 ruthenium 50, the best common fabrication platinum alloy IMO, would have cost me at least 2000 aud (~1280USD) but JP's was ~1000 aud (~640USD) 18K white gold is half FYI. I also consider JP's ring quality to be very high and it would have been hard for me to match even at the higher price. They are going to be making a custom video of the diamond being set as well which is a pretty big value add IMO.

The diamond in the video to me looks like something special. Sorry if I'm just confusing you, it's a pretty tricky decision as it is!. Consider also I'm no expert so there's that.. Whatever you get will likely represent tremendous value compared to what was available just a few years ago. Inflation seems to be crazy with everything except for diamonds, something, as a buyer, I'm exceedingly grateful for!

IMG_2478.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I’m so ducking done..
I still a feel like a JP octa nova wouldve been amazing.. but now I’ll never know , cause I never trust shits who do ‘incognito advertising’.
Well, I don't know about any of that ^^...

Good thing is you're still in the right place. People will help you in whatever direction you want to go. If JP isn't for you there are great stones from many places/sources out there. There's labs too.
Don't give up. It takes time.
Here's a bunch of JP specific threads to look at if you haven't already. There really are many in real life people who have bought and loved, and some who decided against. It's always good to read all the reasons.

Once you go through those and figure out where to begin, start your own thread (if you click on forum at the top of the page and find rocky Talk- up there's a thread button and it will guide you from there) ask for help so PSrs can focus on helping you specifically. That's usually how we do it. It can sometimes take a day or two for answers.
* we do this because we love gems, jewelry and want to help. We don't ask for payment. All we want is pictures when you get your piece.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Like, I hear you, but I also know that there are like a gazillion impressive ‘diamonds’ on Etsy. Until you see it I guess…
Here, it's math. Cut parameters. Angles and degrees.
I wasn't kidding when I said the resident gurus have probably looked at thousands of diamonds.

Well, I don't know about any of that ^^...

Good thing is you're still in the right place. People will help you in whatever direction you want to go. If JP isn't for you there are great stones from many places/sources out there. There's labs too.
Don't give up. It takes time.
Here's a bunch of JP specific threads to look at if you haven't already. There really are many in real life people who have bought and loved, and some who decided against. It's always good to read all the reasons.

Once you go through those and figure out where to begin, start your own thread (if you click on forum at the top of the page and find rocky Talk- up there's a thread button and it will guide you from there) ask for help so PSrs can focus on helping you specifically. That's usually how we do it. It can sometimes take a day or two for answers.
* we do this because we love gems, jewelry and want to help. We don't ask for payment. All we want is pictures when you get your piece.

Am I wrong though?
Are you not deterred when ‘underground savants’ have ad-bots lurking in forums?

Anyway, ~6-12 (pref 8-9)K USD,
where would you look?

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
For the record - I don't work for JP. I bought an E-ring and am maybe guilty of being overly enthusiastic about it. You believe what you want to believe though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results