shape
carat
color
clarity

25th wedding anniversary -diamond selection help

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
Hi, its our 25th and hubby and I are looking at diamonds to upgrade my wedding ring. These are all GCAL 8X and I was wondering what your opinion of these diamonds are. They are all from Adiamor - I didn't find any diamonds at any other vendors that compared with comparable pricing and also after the research I've done I don't want a diamond that isn't GCAL 8X. But, if anyone knows of a diamond at a vendor that I have overlooked I'm very open to suggestions.

The most important factor for me is the sparkle / fire of the diamond. I want SPARKLE! As long as it is sight clean and colorless to the naked eye.

Cost/budget isn't really much of a concern. We've worked extremely hard over the last 25 years and we can afford to get what we want.

Carat size - staying under 6 carats: I've always dreamed of a big diamond but it still needs to fit on my finger - finger/ring size: 6.5

And yes, I will need a new setting - so any advice of where to look for settings designed for large carat center diamonds would also be much appreciated. Here are links to some of the diamonds we are considering. Also, I do have a deposit down on one of these diamonds (not telling which one - I want unbiased opinions!) but I'm waiting until Monday to officially pull the trigger and make sure I'm comfortable with the diamond we decide on.

THANK YOU in advance. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
The G’s are blue so unless you wanted that I’d toss those out of consideration

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
can you explain to me what you mean about the "G" color diamonds being "blue"? If G color is nearly colorless what do you mean by it's blue?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you explain to me what you mean about the "G" color diamonds being "blue"? If G color is nearly colorless what do you mean by it's blue?

The G diamonds, and a few of the others on your list, have blue nuance, which is sometimes the case with HPHT diamonds. This means instead of being tinted yellow (like most natural diamonds), they are tinted blue.

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
The G diamonds, and a few of the others on your list, have blue nuance, which is sometimes the case with HPHT diamonds. This means instead of being tinted yellow (like most natural diamonds), they are tinted blue.

Does that become pretty noticeable when its in a setting with other diamonds?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does that become pretty noticeable when its in a setting with other diamonds?

It depends on how color-sensitive you are. At G color, it might be noticeable.

The 5.23 D may have subtle blue nuance, but it'll be a lot less noticeable than in a G.

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate everyones input. Heres another question: why is it that when I run a diamond search the only company that seems to have GCAL 8X diamonds is Adiamor. Am I missing something here? Is GCAL 8X not really "all that"? I was under the impression that GCAL 8X was truly the creme de la creme - am I a victim of good marketing?

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
One other question: if the blue nuance is so undesirable why is there such a huge difference in price between these 2 diamonds:

5.54ct, G, VVS1: $19,014
5.23ct, D, VS1 : $14,367

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@toadallyfoxy GCAL 8x is simply another type of systemic certification. Those categories are still somewhat broad. Here on PS, the experts are looking at many things which are not noted on certificates: tinges (blue, grey), pavilion twist, painting & digging, ring of death, graining, and numerous other things that can affect a lab diamond’s optical performance.

Rest assured if the experts here say it’s a good diamond, it is!

Are you set on Adiamor? There are other good online retailers. Adiamor’s settings seem to have been hit or miss lately, but other people can comment more on that than I can. I bought my stone online and had it set by a trusted local jeweler. You could also have it set by David Klass or other reputable jewelers who set outside stones.

Your latest choice, the 7ct+ has blue nuance, too. It’s easiest to see blue nuance on the side view. Some people don’t mind it, and some people even like it. It’s a matter of personal taste. We’re just here to make sure you’re informed.

What an exciting upcoming purchase!

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
How much weight do you give to the scintillation video? For 2 of the diamonds the scintillation video shows a large spot where there appears to be no light return:

5.23, D, VS1
5.04, F, FS1

I've attached screenshots that I took at the end of the scintillation video IMG_6932.PNG IMG_6935.PNG

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
@toadallyfoxy GCAL 8x is simply another type of systemic certification. Those categories are still somewhat broad. Here on PS, the experts are looking at many things which are not noted on certificates: tinges (blue, grey), pavilion twist, painting & digging, ring of death, graining, and numerous other things that can affect a lab diamond’s optical performance.

Rest assured if the experts here say it’s a good diamond, it is!

Are you set on Adiamor? There are other good online retailers. Adiamor’s settings seem to have been hit or miss lately, but other people can comment more on that than I can. I bought my stone online and had it set by a trusted local jeweler. You could also have it set by David Klass or other reputable jewelers who set outside stones.

Your latest choice, the 7ct+ has blue nuance, too. It’s easiest to see blue nuance on the side view. Some people don’t mind it, and some people even like it. It’s a matter of personal taste. We’re just here to make sure you’re informed.

What an exciting upcoming purchase!

thank you for your detailed response!

No, I am not set on Adiamor in the least. I am set on the best stone I can find at a fair market price (note I said fair not cheapest). I am only trying to do my utmost due diligence before making a big purchase.

This purchase is a celebration of 25 years of ups and downs, joy and sadness, laughter and tears. A celebration of commitment and promises made and kept. And of love, that after 25 years continues to grow every day. Suffice it to say I feel I am the luckiest woman in the world.

You are the 2nd person today who has personally recommended David Klass to me - I think that is a sign on who I will be having do my setting.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
The inclusions in the 5.23 D VS1 are unlikely to be visible to the naked eye. I wouldn’t pay much weight to the scintillation animation at all. It could easily just be a dirty/misaligned scanner/camera messing it up.

Pricing for lab diamonds have always been all over the place. Prices don’t necessarily reflect quality. As long as the diamond checks out I would go with the savings.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
So here are some things to consider:
1. What size are you thinking?
2. What’s your budget?
3. What color range? You seemed to be fine with D-G, but just in case, it’s best for us to ask.

We’re assuming you want a round stone from your videos above. Once you give us those parameters, several of us can try to find something that has a superior cut. It’s cut quality that determines light performance.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inclusions in the 5.23 D VS1 are unlikely to be visible to the naked eye. I wouldn’t pay much weight to the scintillation animation at all. It could easily just be a dirty/misaligned scanner/camera messing it up.

Pricing for lab diamonds have always been all over the place. Prices don’t necessarily reflect quality. As long as the diamond checks out I would go with the savings.

I agree on both points. The pricing may reflect the cost to acquire it or time in inventory.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since budget is not a primary factor, might I suggest a JannPaul super ideal cut diamond? Maybe even one of their proprietary cuts? A JannPaul stone will almost certainly surpass most GCAL 8x in quality. They are one of only a few super ideal cut lab diamond vendors, and they're very highly recommended on this forum, both in quality and in customer service.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you for your detailed response!

No, I am not set on Adiamor in the least. I am set on the best stone I can find at a fair market price (note I said fair not cheapest). I am only trying to do my utmost due diligence before making a big purchase.

This purchase is a celebration of 25 years of ups and downs, joy and sadness, laughter and tears. A celebration of commitment and promises made and kept. And of love, that after 25 years continues to grow every day. Suffice it to say I feel I am the luckiest woman in the world.

You are the 2nd person today who has personally recommended David Klass to me - I think that is a sign on who I will be having do my setting.

Take a look at Frank Darling's selection of GCAL 8x as well. They usually have similar inventory to Adiamor, and I've read that their in-house settings are exceptionally made and better than many other vendors.

GCAL 8x will be better than the vast majority of other diamonds out there, but we've found individual cases where their requirements were not quite as stringent as, say, Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds or JannPaul's own requirements for their in-house super ideal cut diamonds.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
OMG - @kim N’s right! A JannPaul 25th anniversary diamond would be amazing! They have videos on YouTube and Instagram about their super ideal cuts. I personally have a band with decagon melee, and the light return is spectacular. There are lots of past PS threads about past purchases, too.

If you go through Jann Paul, you will have exquisite customer service but also a several month wait. The larger the stone, the longer the wait. But 25 yrs was a long time, so what’s a few months more? :love:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, toadallyfoxy!
Congratulations on your 25th anniversary - what an amazing milestone!

After reviewing all of the GCAL 8X diamonds that you posted, only one really stands out and above to me: the 5.23 D VS1 HPHT, although it does appear to have a very tiny bit of grayish-blue hue to it. Might be from the photography environment... definitely worth seeing with your own eyes.

I scoured some other sellers and found the following...I won't post links so that they don't get sniped by anonymous lurkers before you've had a chance to look them over, so if you'd like the links, just say the word.
In no particular order:

5.1x F VS1 HPHT GIA graded
40.6/35/56 combo
Priced just under $8800
Video:

5 7x D VS2 HPHT IGI graded
Hearts and Arrows designation
40.7/35.1/55.5 combo
Priced around $9500
Video:

5 1x F VS1 HPHT GIA graded
40.8/34.5/56 combo
Priced around $8900
Video:

Last edited:

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
Hello! It's been a very busy and long day and I just now had a chance to quick check my thread for messages. Tomorrow I'll have time to sit down at my desk and check over all your responses in detail. I just wanted to thank all of you for your responses and let you know I'm not ignoring you all!!

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
I have just finished researching Jann Paul and I'm very impressed. So I just sent out an email to set up an online meeting. As was so eloquently pointed out by @0515vision after 25 yrs whats a little longer to wait - and I couldn't agree more!! I'm going to call Adiamor in the morning and pull back on our deposit, as I am clearly not ready to pull the trigger yet and there are some options I had not considered. I'm SOOO glad I decided to stop lurking, make an account and post a message here to get some advice / feedback. You guys have been awesome. I'll keep you posted on what I hear back from Jann paul. @momofive , your decagon studs are gorgeous! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I have just finished researching Jann Paul and I'm very impressed. So I just sent out an email to set up an online meeting. As was so eloquently pointed out by @0515vision after 25 yrs whats a little longer to wait - and I couldn't agree more!! I'm going to call Adiamor in the morning and pull back on our deposit, as I am clearly not ready to pull the trigger yet and there are some options I had not considered. I'm SOOO glad I decided to stop lurking, make an account and post a message here to get some advice / feedback. You guys have been awesome. I'll keep you posted on what I hear back from Jann paul. @momofive , your decagon studs are gorgeous! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great choice to weigh all options and to engage with JannPaul!
JP's specialty cuts being shown off around here are like seeing the eighth wonder of the world.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
if you place an order with them, be sure to ask for a video. It’s free. Granted, it will add some time to your order because they have to coordinate with the cinematographer, but the video is just so special. You can see some on their IG and Youtube pages. Keep us posted!

toadallyfoxy

Rough_Rock
UPDATE! So, we have purchased this diamond to be set in a pave' setting. It should arrive early next week. I'm soooo excited. Our plan is to see the diamond in person. If we like it (which I really have no doubts that we will) we will be ordering a 4-5 carat diamond from JannPaul and also a diamond to match this one for a pair of diamond stud earrings. But this way if we don't like it we aren't out the cost of the larger diamond up front and we'll look elsewhere for our "special" ring. I seriously doubt that will be the case, but I feel more comfortable this way since I've never seen a MMD in person, or a cut like this in person, or bought a diamond sight unseen from a foreign country from someone I've never met. So, I'm just more comfortable seeing how this purchase goes before I make a really BIG purchase. Probably unnecessary but I feel more comfortable about it. They said It will take 3-4 maybe 5 months for JannPaul to fill the larger diamond size order.

Anyway, here is the link to the diamond we have purchased:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE! So, we have purchased this diamond to be set in a pave' setting. It should arrive early next week. I'm soooo excited. Our plan is to see the diamond in person. If we like it (which I really have no doubts that we will) we will be ordering a 4-5 carat diamond from JannPaul and also a diamond to match this one for a pair of diamond stud earrings. But this way if we don't like it we aren't out the cost of the larger diamond up front and we'll look elsewhere for our "special" ring. I seriously doubt that will be the case, but I feel more comfortable this way since I've never seen a MMD in person, or a cut like this in person, or bought a diamond sight unseen from a foreign country from someone I've never met. So, I'm just more comfortable seeing how this purchase goes before I make a really BIG purchase. Probably unnecessary but I feel more comfortable about it. They said It will take 3-4 maybe 5 months for JannPaul to fill the larger diamond size order.

Anyway, here is the link to the diamond we have purchased:

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for you! Not one but three potential JannPaul diamonds?! I have no doubt you're going to love the first one. Can't wait to see them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results