carat
color
clarity

24 y/o Man needs help picking ROCK! Pics

caldwa

Rough_Rock
ProspectorGeo|1399568160|3668531 said:
Niel|1399565583|3668513 said:
When I think nurse I think sleek low profile safe setting.

Think they could reproduce something like this ?

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-sholdt-semi-bezel-engagement-ring-oec

That is a nice ring! I like that! I am going to search forums to see what nurse's have to say about their E rings lol

Could you ask her to see what type of setting she is desiring? My friend is a nurse and she has a simple solitaire setting, but she chooses to wear a simple band that my buddy got her for when she is at work. It's possible that your future fiancé could want something more than a simple, low profile solitaire for her e-ring if she is not planning on wearing it while at work.

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
I am actually getting someone to scope out her preferences as we speak. A friend of hers disguised her scheme with a simple premise:

Friend: "Help my sisters bf says he wants me to help pick out her ring, I told him yes but I don't know anything about rings or what I should advice"
Girlfriend: "????????????" (im hoping she takes the bait and speaks her mind)

So, aside from the setting...I have a color question.

I looked at EGL H's yesterday as well as an GIA I. To my surprise I wasn't disappointed really with EGL's color rating, they didn't look too bad (although two different H stones were clearly different colors haha). Afterwards I saw a GIA I, and I thought it was perfect and better than the EGL H's...

So my question is, do you think if I settle for a GIA J stone I will be happy? Im guessing the EGL H's were closer to J's and that I probably would still love a J. If I got a GIA J, I could afford to get a bigger stone! My focus has recently been on getting the best cut and using HCA to narrow selection. I have found plenty of J colored stones around 2200 or less with these qualities: 0.7 ct + SI1 (some SI2) + ExExEx+ HCA very good (or HCA excellent). I am attracted to these stones but want to make sure I am not sacrificing too much on the color. Like I said before, I will be using yellow gold and want the best "wow factor" for my buck!

Thanks!

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
ProspectorGeo|1399577049|3668590 said:
I am actually getting someone to scope out her preferences as we speak. A friend of hers disguised her scheme with a simple premise:

Friend: "Help my sisters bf says he wants me to help pick out her ring, I told him yes but I don't know anything about rings or what I should advice"
Girlfriend: "????????????" (im hoping she takes the bait and speaks her mind)

So, aside from the setting...I have a color question.

I looked at EGL H's yesterday as well as an GIA I. To my surprise I wasn't disappointed really with EGL's color rating, they didn't look too bad (although two different H stones were clearly different colors haha). Afterwards I saw a GIA I, and I thought it was perfect and better than the EGL H's...

So my question is, do you think if I settle for a GIA J stone I will be happy? Im guessing the EGL H's were closer to J's and that I probably would still love a J. If I got a GIA J, I could afford to get a bigger stone! My focus has recently been on getting the best cut and using HCA to narrow selection. I have found plenty of J colored stones around 2200 or less with these qualities: 0.7 ct + SI1 (some SI2) + ExExEx+ HCA very good (or HCA excellent). I am attracted to these stones but want to make sure I am not sacrificing too much on the color. Like I said before, I will be using yellow gold and want the best "wow factor" for my buck!

Thanks!

Hahah man. You've had several people tell you that good old gold stone is excellent. You are missin the point of the hca I think. That .7 I color from gog comes with ASET and idealscope which is better indicator than the hca.

Take our advice or don't. But I'm telling you for certain that you will be thrilled with that good old gold stone. Doesn't get much better for price.

As for a j. The egl stone you saw would have been at best a j color I'd say and probably worse. If you get a j look at ones with Fluor which will make the j look whiter.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Re read gypsys post on hca

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you have changed your mind about the setting, she wouldn't even be able to wear that with gloves as it would tear too easily either on the large prongs or the pieces that stick out. And I didn't want to say anything but it is an outdated not particularly attractive setting.....

A simple 6 prong that is set low with prongs that don't catch or a bezel or half bezel is what you should be looking for. And I agree with the others that "I" that is at GOG is going to be the best of both worlds white enough for your eyes and it's a beautiful cut. Some J coloured stones in a yellow setting will have a slight tint to them particularly around people who are colour sensitive.

How flexible are you with the stone? If you are on a budget and want a larger diamond then an Antique cut diamond or a different shaped diamond might be other options for you. Lower colours and yellow gold all look good with Antique diamonds... So something like one of these;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-and-modern/81ct-transitional-cut-diamond-brian-gavin-solitaire.html#.U2wOue0Vq5Q

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/95ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-j-si-1.html#.U2wO3u0Vq5Q

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/78ct-old-mine-cut-diamond-gia-i-vvs2.html#.U2wO9-0Vq5Q

You need to find out from her friend what she does and doesn't like first and then we can make more valid suggestions for the setting...

I am not sure if this is still for sale but here is a simple preloved setting that would work well with the GOG "I' that everyone has suggested to you, or the "I' Gypsy is suggesting below... And you could use your gold to make a band that matched;

http://loupetroop.com/listings/settings/reduced-14k-yg-4-prong-solitare-semi-mount-brian-gavin-size-6-dot-5

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
NURSE!

OK. Got four perfect settings then. NO PRONGS for nurses. Go for a bezel.

Here you go. Any of these would be gorgeous and whoever you are working with can do designs like these for you via CAD. AND they will look great with a 70 point stone size!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/ava-sholdt-18k-yellow-gold-5343y18
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/flora-sholdt-18k-yellow-gold-5347y18
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lena-18k-yellow-gold-5923y18
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/eliza-sholdt-18k-yellow-gold-5838y18

This is the stones I like ( have been posted previously for you):
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-281031

And I'll add these (don't know if they have been posted before or not):

If eyeclean: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5009646-0.76-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=5009646&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
And: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4856061-0.74-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=4856061&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
And: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5040026-0.77-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=5040026&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Can B2C have them pull these three and get you images of the actual diamonds and also an idealscope.

All of those are almost 6mm in size and tehy will make a GREAT impression. Plus they are all VS2 clarity so hopefully they will be eyeclean.

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, thank you again for all those links! This has been a really stressful experience! I want it over with! I cant wait for the easy part, the proposal.

I'm beginning to think I am spending too much on a ring! I don't know if this is something I can do, my budget has increased from 1400 for a stone to 2500. Ah! I want the best for her, but maybe I need to relax, calm down, and by a cheaper stone. How about 2000 budget on the stone?

I like the settings you suggested a lot, but when you add up all the costs I feel like I need to sacrifice somewhere....

Thanks!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your total budget for the setting and the stone? That is why I was suggesting the preloved Brian Gavin Setting which could be polished to look like new above, to save you money. Niel is amazing at finding well priced settings!!! If it was me I would stick with either the diamond Niel found or the one Gypsy found and put either into a simple elegant budget setting.

Have you heard back what sort of things she likes yet?

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1399593983|3668701 said:
What is your total budget for the setting and the stone? That is why I was suggesting the preloved Brian Gavin Setting which could be polished to look like new above, to save you money. Niel is amazing at finding well priced settings!!! If it was me I would stick with either the diamond Niel found or the one Gypsy found and put either into a simple elegant budget setting.

Have you heard back what sort of things she likes yet?

The girl said she would call me back later this evening (shes eastern time)...so hopefully I will know soon. I really want to keep everything under 3000. Total. Its going to be tough....and even with that I worry. Its going to cost me a grand to get back to the east coast haha...I want the best for her, but I don't want to go off and do something impulsive just to be able to show off a rock. Theres more important stuff you know...

(: I still want to get something that will make her feel so special...she's had it pretty tough with family and friends...so although I know she will say yes, I still want her to be swept off her feet somehow. Even if its just a .5 ct...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.K, don't panic, James Allen and Brian Gavin all make simple elegant 14K yellow gold settings that are within that budget. You could possibly call Leslie or email one of their girls and ask them if they could use your gold in one of these settings.....(talking to Leslie on the phone would probably be best). I would still lean towards purchasing the largest well cut stone that you can afford and put it into a simple non catchy 4 or 6 prong setting.

I also have to warn you that lurkers read these posts, I just checked Gypsy's link to one of the stones to add up the total price for it + a simple setting and it has sold already, so if you see something you are interested in put it on hold....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm confused. I thought you were working with someone on the setting. They would use your gold, etc?

I just posted styles for you, regardless of cost, so you could have your local person do it with your own gold.

Is that not the case?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1399595244|3668715 said:
I'm confused. I thought you were working with someone on the setting. They would use your gold, etc?

I just posted styles for you, regardless of cost, so you could have your local person do it with your own gold.

Is that not the case?

I think he started with that idea and the type of rings they design are like the one he linked.... which is why we are now suggesting other places to have the setting part made as well, and if he purchases a setting + the diamond from some places like Brian Gavin or GOG they also might give a bit more of a discount.

One of the others also suggested it might be easier to buy a diamond and setting at one of the suggested vendors and use the gold for a simple yellow band.

I've seen places that make settings like the linked pic firsthand (we used to get a lot of them through my MIL's shop for cheap settings for coloured gemstones) and the prongs are really badly done on most if not all of their settings and for the price I think there are better options.

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
You are right, I still want to use my gold. I do want to keep it in the E-ring too. I am pretty set about the jeweler I've been dealing with. He's been incredibly patient (I first stopped in his shop back in September lol)

I see what you meant with the settings, just suggestions. Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ProspectorGeo|1399595832|3668719 said:
You are right, I still want to use my gold. I do want to keep it in the E-ring too. I am pretty set about the jeweler I've been dealing with. He's been incredibly patient (I first stopped in his shop back in September lol)

I see what you meant with the settings, just suggestions. Thanks!

Ok. Whew. Just pick a style of the ones I posted and then send the link to your jeweler and ask him to make that style for you, but with your gold. And to keep it under 500 for that. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good. Now.

Call B2C about these three.

f eyeclean: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5009646-0.76-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=5009646&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
And: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4856061-0.74-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=4856061&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
And: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5040026-0.77-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=5040026&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Ask the following:
1. Have gemologist examine to see if they are eyeclean. If any are not, eliminate them from contention.
2. Place eyeclean stones on hold.
3. Have them take pictures of the stones on hold for you and send them to you.
4. Have them take idealscopes of the stones on hold and send them to you.

Then:
1. Post the pictures and idealscopes for us so we can help you chose among them.
2. Buy the stone.
3. Get it insured.
3. Take it to your local jeweler for setting.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1399565540|3668512 said:
Since she is a nurse, you will want to look for a setting that is low so that it will not get caught in gloves or rip her gloves.

Or, don't worry about that at all, because hospitals are moving toward no rings at all. I was in R.N. school in 2011, and that hospital already had a policy of no rings except a plain smooth band with no texture or holes or stones. They wanted to ban rings altogether. Fomites spread bacteria and pathogens, so I reckon that considering antibiotic resistant infections are increasing, rings will soon be banned.

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
How mad would you be if I said I want to go down to a .5 ct? They are so much more affordable!

:saint:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ProspectorGeo|1399596642|3668729 said:
How mad would you be if I said I want to go down to a .5 ct? They are so much more affordable!

Not mad at all! Its not our ring. its hers. Will she be happy with a half ct? Do you know whats normal for your area? Where do you guys live? Do her friends have large rings?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ProspectorGeo|1399596642|3668729 said:

It's your budget. Not ours. We wouldn't be mad at all.

But I would advise you to tell us more about her first.

Where does she live? What is her social group like?

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
Well I've gotten a mysterious text, "thin band, yellow gold"

lol so, at least I picked yellow. Now what the heck is thin, and why didn't she give me more details...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Text back and say what type of setting, Tiffany style 6 prong, 4 prong, bezel and see what the friend says...

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
I was sent this picture from the girl....

lets ignore the diamond, please...

aac7ki.jpg

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
ProspectorGeo|1399597513|3668746 said:
Well I've gotten a mysterious text, "thin band, yellow gold"

lol so, at least I picked yellow. Now what the heck is thin, and why didn't she give me more details...

I'm far more traditional than a lot of people on here. I think it's important to have an idea of what your gf likes, but I still think that the surprise element and a genuine effort to try and select a setting she will like always makes it more meaningful, but that's just me.

You usually can't go wrong with a classic 6 prong solitaire setting. Plus they are usually really affordable and just look elegant in my opinion.

No one on here would be mad if you wanted to go down.. It's your money. However, the difference from 2000 to 2500 is negligible when you think about the fact she will have this ring forever. However, if you can't afford it, you can't, nothing wrong with that.

I still think that GOG I colour stone in a classic setting such as a 6 prong solitaire would be gorgeous, but I'm BIAS!

For the record, my lady is nurse and wears her 1.1 ER, which is a 6 prong solitaire platinum setting and has no problem..She works in the ER too.

EDIT: Just saw your picture post. Classic 4 prong is nice too. I personally think they don't show off the roundness of a stone, but to each his own! Thats a nice simply setting! Hopefully your jeweler can make the prongs a little less intrusive! hah

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
These are both cast in something cheap, but I was told I could have it in my gold, easy.

I'd say it's thin. However, maybe I should do away with some of the prongs if I am going for a .5 ct

iqekx5.jpg

2qs2tty.jpg

Another update...

she doesn't want the ring to be to "pushy"

clueless here

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
misread the text...pushy had nothing to do with the ring or stone lol....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1399598472|3668758 said:
How about this:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4311997-0.76-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-SI1-clarity.aspx It's VERY affordable. Looks perfectly clean.

1733.21 is the price. So... that's really good!!

It's EXTREMELY well cut. And with the yellow gold, the J color will be just fine.

I would advise you to get this one. It's a really good deal. And it's a 6mm size stone.

Please put this on hold and trust me.

Gypsy, I have a feeling this is going to be ignored! haha.. Seems to be a pattern here.

But I second this stone. Seems like a great deal! It's a 60/60 stone (am I opening up another can of worms here), which I think are totally gorgeous (again preference thing), but the brilliance of these types of stones will literally blind people with the sparkle on a sunny day.

Put it on hold!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.K see the sides panels of the ring you picked looking side on they are not thin they are quite chunky looking. I have dealt with jewellers who make settings like you are suggesting and everything is made from stock standard cast pieces and purchase things for people/friends from Brian Gavin and there is no comparison their $300+ settings are thin and elegant without being cheap and nasty and I suggested them because if you talk to Leslie you might be able to use your own gold.

That being said Gypsy has made a good suggestion as well for a example picture, but I am seriously doubting your own jeweller can do thin and elegant to the same degree....

A simple 4 prong or a simple 6 prong is going to timeless and elegant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results