shape
carat
color
clarity

24 y/o Man needs help picking ROCK! Pics

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
I am new here, so I hate to just barge into the community and ask for your help. I'm returning to the east coast after doing long distance for 8 months and I am going to pop the question. My surprise potential is limited though...she knows I am coming home partly because of her as well as some other stuff. We've been together since middle school and marriage is something we openly discuss. And for those of you who are wondering, yes, we have broken up a few times (only for a short period of time) haha
Anyways, although I care what her opinion is, I really want to surprise her with my choice! I know her well enough to gauge her style, but I don't know diamonds well enough to gauge quality and deals. lol

Anyways, the ring is a going to be a solitaire made in 16K yellow gold, (using gold I have found panning in streams over the years...believe it or not!) I'm not set on a rock yet, she's size 6 and is tall and thin if it helps. Can you guys tell me what you think about these two stones?

Thanks for your feedback.

2a6nlag.png

1687acg.jpg

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!

First off though, people in here, myself included are going to tear those stones simpy because they appear to be graded by EGL Israel, which is probably the worst lab of the ones talked about consistently on here (by a large margin)

I didn't plug your diamonds into the HCA but can already tell you that the stone on the left is way too deep.

May I suggest you just post your max budget and let us pick a gorgeous stone for you online? If you can go that route? You will get a far better deal and much much more gorgeous stone.

PS. That is super cool that you "mined" the gold yourself!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, I'd pass on the first larger choice due to too deep and table too large for Ideal proportions. The smaller choice looks promising but would need crown and pavillion angles. Is your budget about $2-2.5k for the stone? Would you be opposed to some online vendor options? Will your local jeweler (who I assume you've discussed casting your setting) be willing to set an online stone? Cool idea about using your own found gold! What other metals will you use for the alloy?

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinion! My jeweler actually told me about the lab and he told me "sometimes you wonder if they are on drugs..."

He actually had two stones shipped, the third I laughed at and wouldn't consider because black specs were visible with the naked eye. He seems like an honest guy and actually recommended the smaller stone because he thought it was better... even though it was cheaper. He also pointed out that although it has same color rating, the smaller one is definitely more yellow when you see them compared next to each other. In the end, he recommends the smaller one based on inclusions and overall dimensions. I like the bigger one though! ahh!

Price on diamond im willing to spend...2500. Max. I desire quality over size and appreciate an honest salesperson.

Thanks for your advice and any recommendations.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
ProspectorGeo|1399494682|3668053 said:
Thanks for the opinion! My jeweler actually told me about the lab and he told me "sometimes you wonder if they are on drugs..."

He actually had two stones shipped, the third I laughed at and wouldn't consider because black specs were visible with the naked eye. He seems like an honest guy and actually recommended the smaller stone because he thought it was better... even though it was cheaper. He also pointed out that although it has same color rating, the smaller one is definitely more yellow when you see them compared next to each other. In the end, he recommends the smaller one based on inclusions and overall dimensions. I like the bigger one though! ahh!

Price on diamond im willing to spend...2500. Max. I desire quality over size and appreciate an honest salesperson.

Thanks for your advice and any recommendations.

Well for a max budget of 2500 (US I assume) you can get a far far better diamond than the ones offered there. I appreciate you have an honest jeweler, but you could get a fantastic AGS0 stone that will blow your gf socks off it will sparkle so much for that price.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's great you are using your gold for the setting. But that setting design is very risky. Do you know that? I personally wouldn't advise against that choice unless she's picked something very close to it in the past.

I like the stone Neil suggested.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will be MUCH better off purchasing a GIA certified diamond, like the ones members are suggesting to you.... EGL International are usually 3 to 4 or 5 grades wrong (this can be up to 6 or 7) in colour and usually 2 or 3 in clarity and EGL US is usually 2 to 3 incorrectly graded in colour and 1 to 2 in clarity. The reason for this is EGL labs grading systems are NOT as strict as GIA. Also what EGL classify as excellent or Ideal cuts frequently are not that well cut by GIA standards.

So what I am saying here is that if you compare apples to apples you might think you are getting a bargain/saving money when buying an EGL stone but really when you are getting a average cut stone that is really several shades lower than you think and a lower clarity that you think then you would be better of buying a comparable GIA graded diamond that is certified a lower colour and clarity - that really is the SAME colour and clarity but a better cut than your EGL stone.

In layman's terms a H SI1 EGL USA is probably a J/K/L I1 to SI2 at best and if they are EGL International stones (if the lab they were certified in was Israel they have FAR lower standards than GIA) they are probably a L/M/N/0 colour and I1s or lower in clarity.... probably both just average cuts. I used the selection tools to help eliminate diamonds on an EGL USA graded stone for a new member yesterday and their "Ideal" cut diamond got a mediocre score on the HCA tool (look at the tool bar above) what this means is it would NOT be what GIA classifies as an Ideal cut stone.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1399498152|3668076 said:
I think it's great you are using your gold for the setting. But that setting design is very risky. Do you know that? I personally wouldn't advise against that choice unless she's picked something very close to it in the past.

I like the stone Neil suggested.

This is an excellent point as well, is this like a setting she has picked in the past while you were looking at things or something she said she would like to own? I am asking because the gaps between the metal will be difficult to keep clean, the band part in the top where the two parts end will get caught on everything and the prongs possibly will as well. Unless she specifically said she loves this ring it is not a practical design.

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
I found a GIA cert diamond I like...

Please tell me what you think?

9jdb8l.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is not a well cut stone.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
ProspectorGeo|1399515569|3668234 said:
Why do you say that?

I don't mean to be rude, whatsoever. But you seem to be ignoring any advice on here.. The cut grade on that diamond is "good" far from "excellent" with a table of 68% which is ridiculous.

Again...Why not just let us on this forum pick you out a gorgeous stone for your budget? You seem to be learning diamonds and people on here are experts. However, it seems like you are far off in terms of finding a great stone. Let us help you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ProspectorGeo|1399515569|3668234 said:
Why do you say that?

a cut being "Good" is actually far from it. You might benefit from learning more about diamonds before purchasing. But, if you don't have time to learn (short shopping time/ feeling overwhelmed) people can definitely help you find one. Keep in mind, cut is actually the most important part of the diamond. As it is what make a diamond sparkle. You could get the largest, whitest, IF diamond around, but if its well cut i won't sparkle the way people want a diamond to, so it might as well be a CZ. Cut i king

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA Cut Grades:
1. Excellent- category is too broad and includes many duds. Use HCA to narrow and get an idealscope.
2. Very good- Not good enough, 99% are terrible.
3. Good- Terrible
4. Fair- NOT
5. Poor- Execrable

Here:
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough. And do not consider anything except GIA Ex or AGS 0 or 1 stones. EGL is a bad value and should not even be considered.
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex get the angles and table and depth from the certificate (you can just get the lab report number and look up the angles on the GIA website with report check), and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. 2 and under is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score under 2 is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. Brian Gavin, White Flash, High Performance Diamonds, James Allen, Good Old Gold and Engagement Rings Direct.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Again. I would reconsider the setting. Those very large prongs, six of them, will overpower a 70 point stone.

Here are some 4 prong settings in a similar style that might be a better fit:

There's this:
http://shopping.schubachstore.com/site/cart_imgs/10797_REG.jpg

How about something like this in yellow gold:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/flora-sholdt-18k-white-gold-5347w18

Or this:
http://www.maevona.com/product/MVA33_EOR

Or this:
http://www.maevona.com/product/MVA21_WES

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the plethora of information and tips! I think I am being impulsive because I am experiencing a time crunch, please don't think im being stubborn! I am trying to learn although I am sure my impulsivity suggests otherwise! I bet the salepeople would suggest otherwise! As they have definitely invested some time in me!

I initially wanted to stay away from buying online, but I am warming up to the idea! I like the north American diamond dealers website, the search function is amazing! I will do some board research to see what everyone thinks about them and gauge their reputation! Thanks again!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give us your budget, the rough outline of specs you would like and everyone will suggest stones and put the links to them for you. Unlike salespeople no-one here makes a profit we have no vested interests in telling you what to buy other than we all like to see each member get the best possibly price they can on amazing looking diamonds that we know they will be proud to own. Gypsy is a guru of finding amazing stones, Niel the guru of finding bargains. I know buying online seems a bit daunting but you will find a much nicer diamond at the places these members are suggesting than with sales people that care more about meeting sales targets for the week...

If you call somewhere like Brian Gavin, they might be able to manufacture one of their settings using your gold for you, Good Old Gold, Engagement Rings Direct and a few other places may be able to as well, it doesn't hurt to ask.

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I am hoping to buy the best rock possible for $2500. I initially was set on best quality rather than size...then I saw some larger stones and fell in love with the idea of some bling. Shortly after I realized what I was caught up in...impulsivity and stupidity! I am not set so much on size now....just the best possible diamond for a yellow gold ring.

Thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ProspectorGeo|1399535085|3668350 said:
Thanks! I am hoping to buy the best rock possible for $2500. I initially was set on best quality rather than size...then I saw some larger stones and fell in love with the idea of some bling. Shortly after I realized what I was caught up in...impulsivity and stupidity! I am not set so much on size now....just the best possible diamond for a yellow gold ring.

Thanks!
How about...

0.608ct G VS2 Eye Clean H&A AGS000 $2452
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3045699.htm?source=pricescope

0.536ct F VS2 Eye Clean H&A AGS000 ACA SuperIdeal $2457
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3055257.htm?source=pricescope

Or stretching the budget:
0.713 H VS2 Eye Clean H&A AGS000 $2982
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2978565.htm?source=pricescope

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy this stone. Its in budget, nice specs, in house so they can ship it right away sense i know you're in a time crunch.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/12221/

A few of us have addressed the setting issue and you haven't responded, but i chime in and say do reconsider that ring design. It looks a bit 80s and will not flatter your stone like other settings. You say someone is making it with the gold you've found, can they do any other designs for you?? I love yellow gold and i can understand the sentimentality/ practicality of using gold you found for free, but use that gold for a different design if at all possible. If you describe her style or post pics of settings she's like before, we can point you in the direction if more safe and timeless solitaire designs. :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your idea of using the gold that you found but might I suggest that you have it made into a wedding band since you are
under a time crunch. That way it is just as sentimental (maybe more) and you wont have to rush into getting it done.

Here is a long list of stones that could work. I dont really have time to narrow it down right now. Plus I dont know if your priority is
size/color/clarity...
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/?CaratFrom=0.70&CaratTo=10.00&Cut=Ideal,Excellent&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=2590&Sort=Carat%20asc,%20DefaultOrder&ViewsOptions=Images&TabSelected=3&advancedParameter=pn&showAdvanced=show&DiamondID=206930,314810,307460,317076,312111,314742,311386,298316&Polish=&Symmetry=&Lab=&Flour=&DepthFrom=60.0&DepthTo=62.0&TableFrom=53.9&TableTo=56.9

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
I second Niel's selection. The three you picked out are all gorgeous and you wouldnt be disappointed, but going with an I colour stone would save you a bit and allow you to put that money towards size.

I also like the idea of using your gold as a wedding band and doing something more traditional for your engagement ring. The style would take away from the sparkle of your diamond I think.

Let us know what you decide.. nice thing is all the diamonds listed here from Niel and yourself... all the work has been done for you.. They are all great.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
I am new here, too, and I love the idea of you using panned gold you found that is so awesome! I have read tons of forums on here and I have learned many things, one of which is if you are lucky enough to have Gypsy comment on your thread, listen to her she knows what she is talking about :) I think it is so great you will be using the mined gold, but definitely I would consider and pick or have a setting designed like one of the 4 settings she posted it will really flatter the stone more (and remember we are coming at this from a female prospective :) I especially love #2 it's real unique and I think the bezel will make the stone look even larger, but all of those 4 she posted would be really nice for it. She has a real eye for design! And def go with a GIA stone for sure so you really know what you are getting! Good luck! If you are looking for custom setting design, and if some of the awesome designs shown here are out of your budget, I have just worked with JuliaB jewelry on Etsy and I love her and her prices are great for custom https://www.etsy.com/shop/JuliaBJewelry?ref=shop_sugg I don't work for her or anything just a customer and she is so very helpful. If she does custom work for you it will be 6-8 weeks though so keep that in mind. Just thought I'd throw some help in the ring, but everyone else on here is way more experienced than I and can tell you all you need to know about diamonds, but definitely get a GIA for sure and think about the best setting to flatter the stone, and the best setting from a woman's prospective :) Good luck!

ProspectorGeo

Rough_Rock
I've been rethinking the setting...

The comment about looking like it was from the 80s did the trick...

Haha, yeah I want her to like whatever it is...but I am open to alternative options. I am pretty set on solitaire rings. Also, she is a nurse...So I know this is a big deal when considering what to get her. I still am set on a solitaire. Maybe I can find something with a nicer band that she can wear at work and leave the rock at home? My mom is a chemist and always has her rock on her hand (2ct under latex gloves haha) So, I know its possible.

I am set on supporting this business for the actual setting/ring...

www. (nospace) thejewelers (nospace) guild(nospace) .com

Im sorry to botch that link up, but I don't want people searching for his business to stumble across a thread where I'm indecisive on setting and calling one of them 80's-esque! lol

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since she is a nurse, you will want to look for a setting that is low so that it will not get caught in gloves or rip her gloves.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a low profile semi or full bezel will be your best bet

if you like any of these stones put them on hold, people will buy them before you. I still think if you want size and a nice cut, clarity, and color id buy that good old gold one. Its in house they should be able to ship it fast.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results