carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 2.22 ct Fancy Light Marquise in 18k Georgian inspired Colette ring

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the saga has finally concluded!

This diamond was found by @Niel, fostered by @pearaffair, and has finally found it's forever home with me!
The diamond is a 2.22ct Fancy Light Brownish Yellow Marquise that was originally in a engagement style white gold setting, but was dying to be reset into a richer yellow gold to really celebrate the color.

A very big thank you to all the pricescopers who helped me to collect photos of inspiration pictures to help me realize what I wanted and what to show my jeweler. At the wise suggestion of @Niel, I didn't do a bezel, but instead did a colette which I (if I understood correctly) is an old Georgian jewelry style. It gives the look and most of the protection of a bezel without covering the girdle and darkening the stone.

I sent a BUNCH of pictures to my jeweler. And asked that the ring be hand cast/made to be true to the antique roots. I wanted it to look hand made and didn't want it to look too modern or too clean/perfect. So no CADs, just faith in my jeweler to make it happen. It turned out GREAT. It's not to everyone's taste I'm sure, but I adore the antique look of it. It is a hefty, commanding ring. Something I imagine someone from Game of Thrones would wear :D

The reset has really amped up the color!

Here is the thread with all the various inspiration photos
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bezelling-a-marquise.244555/

Here are some pictures of the old setting:

Edit: The original ring was named Hazel. I was going to rename her Beau but now that I see her it doesn’t quite fit and I already have another piece of jewelry made to commemorate my fluff ball.

So open to suggestions for names! Definitely needs to be something that would fit in in something like Lord of the Rings lol.

636DBE94-5A30-4529-B2DF-E0DAB31137FF.jpeg BEB3CA1C-F3C1-4E11-A0DE-4404AA46D5EE.jpeg

And now here comes my onslaught of new pictures!

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! Huge transformation & you are right about the colour - it’s now popping more of a yellow & looks amazing!

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
This is glorious - I absolutely love it! The colour really sings in that new setting - brilliant collaboration by you, your jeweller and everyone here who inspired you!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is rich! I love it! Looks like a statement piece that is easy to wear!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!
Sadly no sunlight today so I’ll add more pics when I get a chance to capture some better sparkle.

I went with a satin finish and am glad I did. I think it would have been TOO shiny otherwise.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Sublime yet fierce. I love it. Wear it with much happiness!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, super nice ring! Congratulations.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! Huge transformation & you are right about the colour - it’s now popping more of a yellow & looks amazing!
Thanks! It's quite the chameleon I'm finding... I love the color though. And I don't know if it's the color of the fact that the stone is bigger and physically deeper. But I find that it looks so much more dimensional than my MRB stones.. Like there's a bit of a hall of mirrors effect with all the faceting that when you stare into it and move it a bit it sort of has a kaleidoscope effect where it seems like it stretches on forever into the diamond.

This is glorious - I absolutely love it! The colour really sings in that new setting - brilliant collaboration by you, your jeweller and everyone here who inspired you!
YES! Could not have done it without the brilliant PS minds :) I had no idea what a collete setting was!

This is rich! I love it! Looks like a statement piece that is easy to wear!
I think the close up photos make it seem a lot bulkier than it actually is. It wears very easily and isn't actually that "in your face". I think the satin finish helped keep it more subtle and less looking like I'm wearing a shiny gold nugget.

Sublime yet fierce. I love it. Wear it with much happiness!
Thank you! I'm certainly happy staring at it :)

Wow, super nice ring! Congratulations.
Thanks! This will be the last ring project for a few months at least!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gaaaahhhhhj she’s exacrlt how I imagined she should be she’s perfect I love her

Thanks so much for bringing her into the PS family! I was actually pretty nervous while she was getting made, wasn't sure my jeweler could pull it off, especially after there was a thread where another PSer had a bad experience with a bench attempting a collete. But it all worked out. Phew

She needs a naaaaaaaaamme though. Something epic like Sauron lol

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of "while she was getting made", here were some photos from the jeweler (to attempt to reassure me that things were ok".

The wax:
9E88801A-8F7B-4F80-AA7A-91887568C1DD.jpeg

Post casting, pre-prongs
1BB4C8C5-FE1E-4354-94DE-FE3EADCFB477.jpeg 522871B6-E100-405C-804D-07027142F75D.jpeg 0620A9D3-A7EA-4A3A-A4E4-3F0F3F516A4D.jpeg

Grooves cut for prongs
2F18FCFE-F77F-46A9-A8B2-02A3F69F8188.jpeg 7C316582-5744-4E7C-A9BC-5D39E1652991.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for bringing her into the PS family! I was actually pretty nervous while she was getting made, wasn't sure my jeweler could pull it off, especially after there was a thread where another PSer had a bad experience with a bench attempting a collete. But it all worked out. Phew

She needs a naaaaaaaaamme though. Something epic like Sauron lol

Ok let me think on this. I love how fat she is now

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok let me think on this. I love how fat she is now

Haha fat! She is a hefty gal these days... I may try to weigh her when I get back. It's probably more than twice the weight of my 5 stone ring!

Reactions: AV_

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic! I love it in this new setting!:appl:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I love the new design! :kiss2:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning ring. It really brings out the colour of the stone but in a much nicer way than the original setting. Like, it was lovely in the original setting but now it's awesome!

Names. Hmm. What about:

Elrond - vault of stars

Or

Galadriel - glittering garland.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Or, a dwarfish name (and they're so stocky and solid in the books, right?)

Glóin (Glóinn) - glowing one.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing transformation!!! Love the setting choice!!! :appl::appl::appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful and rich look! I love the clean and fresh lines of the setting and the sexy warmth of the stone. Stunning!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol no I just meant she’s so chubby in shape- not that the ring was fat.
Post 1117482747 more photos

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It's a beauty.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the new design! :kiss2:
Meeee too. I love having jewelry that is a little bit off the beaten path!

Names. Hmm. What about:
Elrond - vault of stars
Or
Galadriel - glittering garland.
Haha how do I figure out to pronounce those?..

Or, a dwarfish name (and they're so stocky and solid in the books, right?)
Glóin (Glóinn) - glowing one.
Oooh! I love the idea of a dwarven name! They are also associated with gems and mining and shiny :D
Hmm I may have to go google me some Dwarves

Thanks @CravingDiamonds @Acinom @ac117 @mrs-b !

Lol no I just meant she’s so chubby in shape- not that the ring was fat.
Post 1117482747 more photos
I will try to get better photos when it's not so overcast :/
Before the reset she performed best in dappled sunlight. I'm curious to see how she'd looks in candle light now though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results