shape
carat
color
clarity

$14-15k Stud Budget - what would you do??

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
So "super" ideals versus what I call non branded ideals...

Sorry if I'm a broken record but I think that we have a different batch of posters nowadays. Between mom and I we have BGD signature, bg blue, Quadex, and tightly spec'd non branded stones that i had called into BGD and IDJ. Personality plays a big part. My mom won't search and wants the best of whats within her budget and exists, so shopping straight from a super ideal's existing inventory works best for her.

For me, I like actively participating in the hunt, and I'd rather save off the top of what I'd pay to a "super ideal" vendor, and Yekutiel knows me and only needs 15 minutes to search the computer and have it run to his store for him to comment on and take images and videos. He keeps my search parameters tight with the angles and percentages blah blah, and i tell him the budget, color and clarity tolerances. I personally think that all my ideal and branded ideals perform just as well.

I may be easy going in real life but I'm a bit OCD and persnickety with bling, to the point where I loved my diamond rep so much when I was being helped at BGD that when she left slinging bling, later missed it, and wanted to go back to it part time, I facilitated her going to work at my fave non branded vendor so that I could get the same brain and service.

Let's go back in time to the days where Bliss would marvel at her "mazel" diamonds that she got from IDJ and would compare them with WF and Tiffany.

So yeah, you can get great diamonds from virtual stock but you need to trust the vendor to understand the parameters we want to work within and how tight they are. They can be show stoppers too.

Peace!

Thank you so much for the input! Really appreciate your perspective and I'm sure this is very helpful to others debating super ideal v. non-branded ideal question as well. (And side note that I always get a kick out of your posts) I've asked Jonna at IDJ if they can find what I'm looking for within budget, so I might ping you again for your thoughts on what she is able to find, if you don't mind!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the input! Really appreciate your perspective and I'm sure this is very helpful to others debating super ideal v. non-branded ideal question as well. (And side note that I always get a kick out of your posts) I've asked Jonna at IDJ if they can find what I'm looking for within budget, so I might ping you again for your thoughts on what she is able to find, if you don't mind!
Awww thank you for the side note :kiss2:. Tell Jonna, "ask Yekutiel if Pinto Bean would like these. :lol-2:"

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your input!! I LOVE your collection and your videos of CBI fire! I also recently came across your thread comparing the different sizes of CBI stones, which was super helpful. I wish I had smaller earlobes!!

I have raised the subject of a budget increase with my husband before and he was very, very unreceptive, but it is true that you never know how circumstances may change in the future.
Your budget is robust for studs but with diamonds we can always go larger right. Get largest you can for your coin and wait few years and mention upgrade. That’s what I did and he took it much better later

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one of the very best jewelry decisions I have ever made was to go with Whiteflash ACA studs. Why? Because I could start with a size and price I was comfortable with and then upgrade size (or any other specs). I had .80 ct each (6mm), 1.15 cts each (6.7mm) and now I have 1.3 each (7 mm). Each time I thought I had my final pair, but even now, I wish I could do a really final upgrade to 1.5 cts each :lol: , but I probably won't because I have custom platinum settings this time and hate to waste them (seeing as I have wasted two other pair of platinum settings!).

Most people I know locally don't have over 1 ct per ear, but I really have room for larger studs. I am hearing you say that you feel under 7mm is going to be small, but I would have a talk with your husband about letting this be your starter pair and then upgrading for an anniversary in a few years to your desired size. 7mm is not large to me at all anymore, and I know I could go to 7.4-7.5 easily. I'll show you my pictures of the 6.7mm and the 7mm so you can see. My studs have been H VS2 all this time, and they show as bright and white on the ears. I would recommend G for you, because I think they will show up as white and I am hoping you can upgrade later (and then you'll know if G is your goal or F).

If you compromise and get some GIA ex studs and then want to upgrade later, you'll take a hit selling those in order to buy others. I just think that holds more risk than buying from a vendor who will give you full value towards an upgrade. If your husband won't budge, then I personally would say that I want to save longer and add to the budget.

First are the 6.7mm and then the 7mm:

WF.2.32ctwH  2015-03-17 2.jpg 2.55ctw H VS2 studs 6 sml.jpg

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My studs are actually BGD blues (H with SBF)... and I do love them. But my priority was less about size though, and more of the ‘best of the best’ mindset that pinto bean talked about her mum having. I have seen the GIA XXX stones that IDJ choose when requested and they’re really not bad. They are wizards at maximising size for budget!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Your budget is robust for studs but with diamonds we can always go larger right. Get largest you can for your coin and wait few years and mention upgrade. That’s what I did and he took it much better later

Haha true and I'm glad that strategy worked for you! I think you are right - gotta think about the long game haha :D

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
The one of the very best jewelry decisions I have ever made was to go with Whiteflash ACA studs. Why? Because I could start with a size and price I was comfortable with and then upgrade size (or any other specs). I had .80 ct each (6mm), 1.15 cts each (6.7mm) and now I have 1.3 each (7 mm). Each time I thought I had my final pair, but even now, I wish I could do a really final upgrade to 1.5 cts each :lol: , but I probably won't because I have custom platinum settings this time and hate to waste them (seeing as I have wasted two other pair of platinum settings!).

Most people I know locally don't have over 1 ct per ear, but I really have room for larger studs. I am hearing you say that you feel under 7mm is going to be small, but I would have a talk with your husband about letting this be your starter pair and then upgrading for an anniversary in a few years to your desired size. 7mm is not large to me at all anymore, and I know I could go to 7.4-7.5 easily. I'll show you my pictures of the 6.7mm and the 7mm so you can see. My studs have been H VS2 all this time, and they show as bright and white on the ears. I would recommend G for you, because I think they will show up as white and I am hoping you can upgrade later (and then you'll know if G is your goal or F).

If you compromise and get some GIA ex studs and then want to upgrade later, you'll take a hit selling those in order to buy others. I just think that holds more risk than buying from a vendor who will give you full value towards an upgrade. If your husband won't budge, then I personally would say that I want to save longer and add to the budget.

First are the 6.7mm and then the 7mm:

WF.2.32ctwH  2015-03-17 2.jpg 2.55ctw H VS2 studs 6 sml.jpg

THANK YOU. This is so, so helpful and I truly appreciate all the insight. PS is awesome because you get to benefit from the experiences and trial and error of so many other PS'ers. I'm really glad that I made this thread and I think I've made up my mind! Will report back)

Oh and p.s., I could see you ending up with 3ctw one day.... ;-)

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
My studs are actually BGD blues (H with SBF)... and I do love them. But my priority was less about size though, and more of the ‘best of the best’ mindset that pinto bean talked about her mum having. I have seen the GIA XXX stones that IDJ choose when requested and they’re really not bad. They are wizards at maximising size for budget!

I love fluorescence! And BG stones - I got to see his signature EC, round, and cushion in person and they were all incredible. I am going to go look up your studs now - I am sure they are amazing!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you speak to IDJ, find out if the studs are available for future upgrade and if so, what the policy is.

Upgrade policies are important to factor in.

For me, I hit a dead end when it came to upgrading my bg blue where the cost just was too high to jump to the next noticeable size.

While I love my non branded stones, I will say that the best studs I've seen to date are @Dee*Jay 's ACA honkers. They're huge. Like Pamela Anderson boobies huge. And they make you stare. Like you would at Pamela Anderson running on the beach in that red bathing suit. Just throwing this out there (cuz i need a break from folding clothes).

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hahaha @PintoBean thats hilarious! I’m gonna go look up DeeJay’s studs now. I already have a certain image in mind though.

Mine are a lot smaller than the OP is looking for- and you are correct in saying that the BGD stones come with a hefty price tag! They do indeed. I’m not sure I could afford to upgrade these, though I did it in an odd way. I already owned one of my 0.8ct stones, so went and sold my preowned pair of BGD Ks to afford the purchase of a second stone separately from the blue range.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

This is the best advice I’ve read all day :D!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results