shape
carat
color
clarity

10 Carat Art Nouveau Zambian Emerald Ring

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Deep exhale.
So you all are either going to love this piece or not so much.
I must admit she’s quiet. Classy quiet.
But also mysterious, diabolical, impish, rare, blindingly-outrageously-juicy 9526FA0E-B661-43F7-B978-129CE3EF30B6.jpeg 2E75BF32-D6BB-4E0E-A4B3-42A4732B66BC.jpeg 39F4E564-53E7-4162-B518-4355ADFF426B.jpeg 0161D11E-854F-4B86-BBD4-DE6B8A15DFED.jpeg 1A0E103F-B10A-4236-986E-BB80408CD7A1.jpeg , intoxicating and then, occasionally, in certain lighting environments, she’s downright dumpy.
But then aren’t we all????!
I have always gravitated to her whenever I visit my fave jeweler.and she sits very innocently and quietly in the antique ring case.
But when I put her on my finger and she catches the light….breathtaking.
She is GIA certified as Zambian moderate oil.
The setting is honest to goodness to die for Art Nouveau at its best. Feels like a comfortable million bucks on the hand. Almost a greenish gold. Or is that the jelly-bean cabochon emerald reflecting off those swirls and fronds.
Anyway, I would love to hear the experts advice.
I just felt she was special.
Waaaay more than I was planning on spending so she’s home with me “on approval”.
This is a big deal purchase.
39F4E564-53E7-4162-B518-4355ADFF426B.jpeg . Ve 0161D11E-854F-4B86-BBD4-DE6B8A15DFED.jpeg 1A0E103F-B10A-4236-986E-BB80408CD7A1.jpeg

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Let me be the first to say I will be heartbroken if you don't keep this beauty!! She's just stunning!! :kiss2:

Ahhh @lala646 thank you for that.
Honestly I’m still learning but I’m trusting my eye much more now.
There is just something about it.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
487961D7-C2D0-415B-8A37-8236C3ECB8F8.jpeg
An hour later (7pm EST) outside reading…

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Addendum to the above.
So I did all my layperson research and realize that Zambian emerald mining began in 1976.
Yes. There are a very few rare emeralds that were mined in Zambia in the 1920’s,
However, my Jeweler and I have no way of knowing if this is one of them.
So the price reflects that.
I hope that helps my experts out there!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow.
Im not a fan of cabochons and I do prefer Columbian origin (prefer the blue/ green toning) but that is a stunning ring.
I‘d be tempted over to the Zambian Cabochon side with that beauty.:kiss2:

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
It's an absolute LOVE from me! Art Nouveau jewellery (or Art Nouveau anything in general) is one of my first loves, and it never fails to tug at my heartstrings. The juicy green emerald cab gives me major sorceress vibes.:kiss2: I think the internal complexities (from your 3rd photo) add interest and wouldn't bother me if they don't affect the stone's structural integrity. And it seems bright and saturated enough in dim lighting?

And if you keep it you must post it to the cab thread! (I've been meaning to myself and I even have my photos taken, but I'm the worst at sharing pictures. Cabs are awesome and I love looking through that thread for all the more recent goodies. )

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Wow.
Im not a fan of cabochons and I do prefer Columbian origin (prefer the blue/ green toning) but that is a stunning ring.
I‘d be tempted over to the Zambian Cabochon side with that beauty.:kiss2:

@Bron357 I am the same. Cabs simply don’t sparkle so I was never taken with them.
But this!!!!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
It's an absolute LOVE from me! Art Nouveau jewellery (or Art Nouveau anything in general) is one of my first loves, and it never fails to tug at my heartstrings. The juicy green emerald cab gives me major sorceress vibes.:kiss2: I think the internal complexities (from your 3rd photo) add interest and wouldn't bother me if they don't affect the stone's structural integrity. And it seems bright and saturated enough in dim lighting?

And if you keep it you must post it to the cab thread! (I've been meaning to myself and I even have my photos taken, but I'm the worst at sharing pictures. Cabs are awesome and I love looking through that thread for all the more recent goodies. )

I have asked that question and I am assured that the surface reaching fissures do not affect integrity.
Perhaps that’s always the answer.
But then again, it is an emerald so….

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
It’s fantastic! It’s a great find - and looks wonderful on your hand. It’s almost like a planet rather than a pedestrian cab…. A lovely, translucent on the edges, undeniably green planet. Lovely - I can’t wait to hear what you decide.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it! It's mesmerising. Any further thoughts on keeping it or not?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it. I love glowy cabs with vibrant colors -- cabs that did not "need" to be cabs.

I love the simplicity and it does look very pretty and elegant on your hand -- could almost be to-die-for jadeite.

I am fine with Zambian origin.

I don't love "moderate oil."

Art Nouveau plus Zambian emerald = Frankenstein ring, presumably. Not a deal-breaker. Is it "Art Nouveau style" or an actual old ring? One of the prongs -- at 12:00 in the video -- is a little wonky and that would fit with a re-purposed mounting and/or a custom-cut cab.

It's really lovely and checks most of my boxes. So, like cars and houses, it comes down to price :)

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I love it. I love glowy cabs with vibrant colors -- cabs that did not "need" to be cabs.

I love the simplicity and it does look very pretty and elegant on your hand -- could almost be to-die-for jadeite.

I am fine with Zambian origin.

I don't love "moderate oil."

Art Nouveau plus Zambian emerald = Frankenstein ring, presumably. Not a deal-breaker. Is it "Art Nouveau style" or an actual old ring? One of the prongs -- at 12:00 in the video -- is a little wonky and that would fit with a re-purposed mounting and/or a custom-cut cab.

It's really lovely and checks most of my boxes. So, like cars and houses, it comes down to price :)

So these are exactly the issues.
The setting is legit Art Nouveau.
Super elegant.
Now. The stone.
Most likely 1976 or after.
Small chance it could be earlier but no way of knowing.
Zambian I’m on board with too because the color is so spectacular.
Moderate oil. F2 on the GIA certification
I’m still mulling THAT one over…..

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Oh.
And one more question thrown out to the experts.
Do you think most ppl will just think it’s a very nice jade ring?
I mean she has her moments when she sort of just sits there and doesn’t glow.
Not that I care what other ppl think.
Because I don’t.
But will it bug ME???
I’m thinking of that too.
I will report back to you all.
I had to dash out unexpectedly for work early this morning to put out an emergency and didn’t put on any jewelry so I can’t resume getting to know her until later today…..

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is very special. She is a chameleon, which I really like, and don’t see the “downright dumpy” you mention. How long do you get to try her at home?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
She is very special. She is a chameleon, which I really like, and don’t see the “downright dumpy” you mention. How long do you get to try her at home?

@kgizo
I get to keep her until Monday!!!
And she’s not exactly “dumpy” I mean she’s just not faceted so it is taking my eye a little longer to appreciate her subtle glow.
I would be effusive in my admiration of her but I have died of jealousy, so….

@PreRaphaelite awwww. Thank you! Coming from you very high praise indeed.
Are you ok if she is, in fact, a more modern cab set in an honest-to-goodness antique setting?????
Would love your opinion.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one more question thrown out to the experts.
Do you think most ppl will just think it’s a very nice jade ring?

I would hope so! Have you shopped jade of that quality? Way harder to find than an emerald. And never in that size.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I would hope so! Have you shopped jade of that quality? Way harder to find than an emerald. And never in that size.

Haha!!!
Your right.
I actually haven’t shopped for jade lately.
The last time was 25 years ago in Hong Kong
The hotel lobby had a to-die-for bangle in the window with a spotlight on it. We went in and I innocently asked the price.
I nodded and did the conversion calculations walking out the door ….$100,000!!!!!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
a more modern cab set in an honest-to-goodness antique setting
100% and if she is as alluring and soulful as she looks, I’d consider the setting as a vehicle and feel free to reset in literally anything that you like the look of. I suspect this stone is more ‘magic’ for you and less about oiling or technical specs that you’re interested in. No shade intended to the finest stones intended - but the heart has its reasons!

The stone and setting are lovely separately and lovely together. Gah! I would love more pics!

Edited to add: while I love the setting now, in my imagination this stone would be equally as powerful in the pinnacle of an Egyptian snake motif, an egg resting in its fangs… not sure if that makes sense

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s stunningly, gorgeously juicy and delicious!! I love it! Enjoy!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moderate oil. F2 on the GIA certification
I’m still mulling THAT one over…..

So it sounds like you love it in person but are ambivalent about the specs. I have struggled much more with the opposite -- love the specs but am ambivalent about the in-person appearance. I think beauty wins in this case.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Ditto all of this. Art Nouveau is my favorite artistic time period in Europe - a fleeting, but monumental movement.

I love cabs, love the setting…I guess I just love everything about this ring!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
100% and if she is as alluring and soulful as she looks, I’d consider the setting as a vehicle and feel free to reset in literally anything that you like the look of. I suspect this stone is more ‘magic’ for you and less about oiling or technical specs that you’re interested in. No shade intended to the finest stones intended - but the heart has its reasons!

The stone and setting are lovely separately and lovely together. Gah! I would love more pics!

Edited to add: while I love the setting now, in my imagination this stone would be equally as powerful in the pinnacle of an Egyptian snake motif, an egg resting in its fangs… not sure if that makes sense

Totally!
Wow.
Mic drop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results