shape
carat
color
clarity

10 Carat Art Nouveau Zambian Emerald Ring

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
So it sounds like you love it in person but are ambivalent about the specs. I have struggled much more with the opposite -- love the specs but am ambivalent about the in-person appearance. I think beauty wins in this case.

@LilAlex
You nailed it.
That’s my stumbling block.
Could you share your reverse scenario?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto all of this. Art Nouveau is my favorite artistic time period in Europe - a fleeting, but monumental movement.

I love cabs, love the setting…I guess I just love everything about this ring!

@Cerulean thank you.
So just to add to that, my antique jewelry knowledge and journey started with Art Deco as so many others do. First love so to speak.
I was aware of Art Nouveau but was sorta meh about it.
It’s just so very different.
All those female faces, undulating hair and lilly pads :)
I think it takes awhile for the eye and mind to adjust to it but when it does….Wowzers….
Then my husband and I became involved in the Gustav Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms in Parsippany New Jersey and I became friendly with ppl who were invested in the entire movement and fanatically passionate about it.
I am not as invested as they are but it certainly opened my eyes.
An entire aesthetic carved out in a very short period of time.
Then when I tried to find high end examples in jewelry, I realized how exceedingly rare they are.
Just googling Art Nouveau emerald ring brings up two or three!!!
Heck. Googling art nouveau fine jewelry yields only a handful.
Anyway. It’s definitely a different piece but 24 hours in I gotta say she’s special.
I promise updates…..

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and sorry for the deep dive digression on the setting.
I should really be focused in on the stone.
My apologies.
I’m back on the emerald discussion….

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a magnificent post on a really gorgeous ring. Thank you for sharing such detail and photos in every possible light. This was incredibly educational. I think you’ve inspired some of us to be a little bit braver in our choices!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean thank you.
So just to add to that, my antique jewelry knowledge and journey started with Art Deco as so many others do. First love so to speak.
I was aware of Art Nouveau but was sorta meh about it.
It’s just so very different.
All those female faces, undulating hair and lilly pads :)
I think it takes awhile for the eye and mind to adjust to it but when it does….Wowzers….
Then my husband and I became involved in the Gustav Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms in Parsippany New Jersey and I became friendly with ppl who were invested in the entire movement and fanatically passionate about it.
I am not as invested as they are but it certainly opened my eyes.
An entire aesthetic carved out in a very short period of time.
Then when I tried to find high end examples in jewelry, I realized how exceedingly rare they are.
Just googling Art Nouveau emerald ring brings up two or three!!!
Heck. Googling art nouveau fine jewelry yields only a handful.
Anyway. It’s definitely a different piece but 24 hours in I gotta say she’s special.
I promise updates…..

Art Nouveau pieces that are in good condition are rare. The materials and designs of many pieces were exceptionally fragile...enamel, copper, glass and silver were commonly used in Art Nouveau works and designs were precariously elaborate.

I totally appreciate the allure of Art Deco, I fell in love with the period touring the interiors of famous Art Deco buildings in Chicago. Incredible. But yes, Art Nouveau was my first love...and that cuts deep!

But for every bold color, symmetrical pattern and geometrical shape that is the epitome of Art Deco, you'll find an organic line, fantastical creature, and a curvaceous female body in Art Nouveau. To me, they are essentially opposites (except in maybe their decadence :lol: ). Art Nouveau was also about love and worship of femininity.

I won't bore with a history lesson, but it would be fun to have pieces in one collection that are basically in communication with each other...like rivaling sisters! But you have to love it!

Let us know :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you share your reverse scenario?

I just meant a lovely sapphire "on paper" that disappoints in person.

Your emerald is killer in person but maybe spec'ed a little lower than you were aiming?

My point was just that the second scenario is way better than the first.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
629F9F17-8834-45F6-9463-596EAB822F4D.jpeg

EEC07EED-B6EA-40B4-91C9-3034C675F209.jpeg

Are you ok with the idea of babying the ring?

I walked away from the Zambian emerald cab pictured above as I wasn’t into the idea of super babying the ring. But definitely understand the appeal when they glow. What was the decision for the sapphire rings that you shared earlier?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock

I walked away from the Zambian emerald cab pictured above as I wasn’t into the idea of super babying the ring. But definitely understand the appeal when they glow. What was the decision for the sapphire rings that you shared earlier?

That’s gorgeous!
And, yes, babying the ring is one of the things I’m mulling over. Still not entirely sure how I feel about that.
As far as the sapphire rings from earlier this summer, only the larger unheated Princess Diana one is still on the table.
This is a process for sure…

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I just meant a lovely sapphire "on paper" that disappoints in person.

Your emerald is killer in person but maybe spec'ed a little lower than you were aiming?

My point was just that the second scenario is way better than the first.

Oh I see.
Exactly.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock

@icy_jade I would would help me to know the price range they were asking on that piece you passed on. Just to get a good comp.
But I totally understand if you do not so please no worries, it was just a thought.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade I would would help me to know the price range they were asking on that piece you passed on. Just to get a good comp.
But I totally understand if you do not so please no worries, it was just a thought.

I honestly cannot recall very well so take it with a pinch of salt. Think was less than $5k for a 6+ ct minor oil, brand new not preloved. It’s bluish green and very beautiful irl. This is before the pandemic happened.

Also came across this earlier today, in case it helps:

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly cannot recall very well so take it with a pinch of salt. Think was less than $5k for a 6+ ct minor oil, brand new not preloved. It’s bluish green and very beautiful irl. This is before the pandemic happened.

Also came across this earlier today, in case it helps:

Thank you!
Very helpful.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!
Very helpful.

And the price is just for the loose stone, not with any setting.

Is that better or worst than what you thought?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
And the price is just for the loose stone, not with any setting.

Is that better or worst than what you thought?

Again so difficult. Maybe a little better than I thought.
How many carats was the cab?
My ring is coming in just about $10k.
Supposed to be 10 carats so that’s $1000 per carat.
What do you guys think?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
less than $5k for a 6+ ct minor oil, brand new not preloved

This. And minor oil not moderate so there is a price diff for the treatment and being brand new too.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
This. And minor oil not moderate so there is a price diff for the treatment and being brand new too.
Oh sorry. I see 6+ carats.
Thank you.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
occasionally, in certain lighting environments, she’s downright dumpy.

Re-read your post and this kinda says stop to me. Because the 6 ct that I saw had a soft glow in almost all the lights. Dug into my photo archives and found these pics…

But of course if you love it then you love it. Sometimes there is just no reason, and no need for a reason. I’ve met stuff that evoked an emotional impulsive response in me to BUY and that’s what I’ve done before.

9C07489E-1684-4A17-A4D2-8A3F57C539F9.jpeg 1BC1C640-5B58-4444-891D-73E6F006BFF6.jpeg 5F458B3C-C7D5-4758-B749-4209F427963D.jpeg 369CEECE-220D-44A1-A60C-A409EE428B28.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless it's eBay (do not recommend for loose stones), what you pay depends upon where you live so there is that.

Agree about Art Nouveau -- my favorite of the design esthetics. And agree completely with what @Cerulean posted above. It is tough to find attractive authentic Art Nouveau jewelry. I love all the colored stones and geometry in Edwardian and Deco -- they seem to have withstood the passage of years and maybe because they were too pretty to wear! But finding Art Nouveau is tough. Son recently converted an (eBay) Art Nouveau stickpin into a pendant for his GF and it turned out great.

Our bed is original Arts & Crafts with "Art Nouveau" carved panels -- found in a corner of what might now be called an antique shop but was basically a junk store when we moved to this city (maybe $300?). Cleaned it up a bit and converted to a queen (it had been a full) with some custom aftermarket rails in quartersawn oak.

So I, too, have a soft spot for Art Nouveau. I still stop when some contemporary Masriera scrolls past on my IG feed.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Unless it's eBay (do not recommend for loose stones), what you pay depends upon where you live so there is that.

Agree about Art Nouveau -- my favorite of the design esthetics. And agree completely with what @Cerulean posted above. It is tough to find attractive authentic Art Nouveau jewelry. I love all the colored stones and geometry in Edwardian and Deco -- they seem to have withstood the passage of years and maybe because they were too pretty to wear! But finding Art Nouveau is tough. Son recently converted an (eBay) Art Nouveau stickpin into a pendant for his GF and it turned out great.

Our bed is original Arts & Crafts with "Art Nouveau" carved panels -- found in a corner of what might now be called an antique shop but was basically a junk store when we moved to this city (maybe $300?). Cleaned it up a bit and converted to a queen (it had been a full) with some custom aftermarket rails in quartersawn oak.

So I, too, have a soft spot for Art Nouveau. I still stop when some contemporary Masriera scrolls past on my IG feed.

I love Masriera. I will have to likely settle for a reproduction one day or continue to indulge in eye candy on IG, which is fine. I also love platinum which was never used in Art Nouveau.

I have seen a number of what I suspect are Arts and Crafts pieces mislabeled as Art Nouveau...lots of similarities, but they tend to be less dramatic! Although I love them as well.

Your bed sounds lovely. I bet it gives you sweet dreams :praise:

If you want some more eye candy, this is one of my favorite IG accounts: @bijouxancienslyon

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haha!!!
Your right.
I actually haven’t shopped for jade lately.
The last time was 25 years ago in Hong Kong
The hotel lobby had a to-die-for bangle in the window with a spotlight on it. We went in and I innocently asked the price.
I nodded and did the conversion calculations walking out the door ….$100,000!!!!!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
That is a stunning ring!!! Stunning!!

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
I am neither an expert, nor even well-read, on emeralds. As a frequent jewelry buyer with a little knowledge, I would be concerned with the fissures. I just found out a small ruby (.30 ct) that I inherited years ago, actually was 2 slices glued together. I had never heard of such a thing, and the stone (set in a ring) has been looked at buy at least 3 good jewelers over the course of many years who never mentioned this.

Also, I think you are spot-on with the stone looking like a very good jade, and not an emerald. In the end, what matters most is, do you like it and fell comfortable with the price being asked for it?

Good luck in your deliberations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results