shape
carat
color
clarity

$10,000 ring stolen enroute via USPS :'(

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi SR - Grace here. Yes, I would urge that you please re-read my email to you this morning (10:44am) - in it, I stated that I have made the request to JM for a direct pay-out to you and that the rep told me this was possible, pending submission of some paperwork from me - comps for the setting, invoice from us for the stone, etc. I submitted the docs ASAP as I felt that you were anxious to get a new ring, and that was certainly understandable. As a matter of fact, I did tell you that it would be our preference that JM pay your (new) preferred vendor directly, if they would approve that. You were considering buying from 2 different vendors - again, I told you we were OK with that IF JM would approve.

In the emails we exchanged about possible replacement options (we showed you 3), you said you didn't love any of them them. I said I understood and left it at that. Its not our style to do hard sells - not a peep was again mentioned in regards to those so I hope that in my communications, you did not feel that I was forcing you to pick from what you referred to "limited inventory." You showed interest in our Lily setting - I showed you one we had available - you passed, and again, I did not push it. We offered to make you a setting similar to your Tacori- you said no, and again, we left it at that.

We honestly thought that offering you 2 much bigger, whiter stones (albeit in a solitaire) were great options but of course, you need to love your new stone as well.

Some unkind things have been said in regards to our bench's work (keeping in mind that by the time we received the mounting, it has been worked on badly (your own words) by another jeweler - bad sizing job, and blobby prongs. We tried to repair to the level you wanted and I'm really sad that just when it appeared to be perfect, the ring went missing (it took several tries and for this, I thank you for your patience). You and I, I think, were equally excited when the ring was finally ready to come home.

Im also a little saddened by your statement that you feel that I am brushing you under the rug. I have responded to all your emails promptly. It's just unrealistic to expect to have answers from a company like JM in less than 6 hours. Nevertheless, I pushed our rep and got you an answer the following day. And when you emailed this afternoon to say that you would now prefer a like Tacori replacement and diamond (per the legal advise you received), this meant changing course again, so of course, I would need to let our insurer know this.

Never, at any point, have I denied you anything. In my emails, I have always said - "let me check, and get back to you." And I have.

Am I confused by the statements here? Yes, I am, to be honest.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
This is a very professional and straight-forward response. It also explains a lot of the murkier details in this thread. I've never dealt with JbEG personally, but from reading these posts and past reviews, I can honestly say that they seem to offer a high level of customer commitment and care. On the other hand, I can understand why the OP is so upset. An engagement ring is more than just a piece of jewelry - it's a part of who you are (in many cases). As such, there is a certain intrinsic value that is very difficult to replicate. I think that emotions are very high right now and that the OP is hurt by what has occurred. This makes it easy to become defensive or find fault with other people's opinions. There is nothing wrong with that, per se (and you are entitled to a certain degree of sympathy), but I think you should take a step back, take a deep breath, and really evaluate the situation. Even if you felt that JbEG wasn't willing to work with you before, it's clear that they are now. It does take time when dealing with insurance and legal issues, but that will give you more time to find the perfect replacement, if you haven't already. :) Also, I don't think that you should be upset by the fact that they posted in this thread. Since you originated the thread, and since they are members here at PS, it is natural that they would try to clear the air. I hope that you don't take offense to what I'm saying. I think that this is an issue that can be amicably resolved, given the right amount of time.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
Grace! Yes I completely misunderstood! When you initially told me that you wouldn't be paid until I chose something, then you would send an invoice, then you would be reimbursed by JM... I thought that meant I would have to purchase something THEN insurance would mail me a check. Does that make sense? I don't have $10k to do that so I was frightened that I would just lose all my money. When you told me this morning that JM would issue the check out to me I did not understand that was a cash settlement to be made prior to me purchasing elsewhere. I tried calling to talk to you about it yesterday and I was completely frustrated that you responded in an email 5 minutes afterwards. I just wanted to talk to a live person. I find things get misunderstood when it's in email. Probably my fault, and I'm sorry. I am really doing the best I can to learn all of this.

I am sorry for saying unkind things about your bench. I have seen beautiful things from your company, but my experience just was not so. I think it must be a fluke, maybe the person was having a bad day, I don't know, but I was really disappointed when I had to send my ring back to you last April. I know you guys are capable of beautiful rings because I saw many many examples here on PS. I also trusted you to send it to your NY bench, who is probably amazing... But I never saw the finished product. The pictures online of my ring are beautiful. I tried to cut out all telltale signs of your logo in the picture. It's as small as my phone would let me crop. I didn't realize people would be able to tell right away that it was your site.

The two bigger stones are very beautiful and I really do appreciate the offer. I think I am afraid that I will be completely dissatisfied with a solitaire and end up pursuing an elaborate setting again and go through this all over again. My initial reaction is to cut my losses and to just walk away and maybe that's the lesson I need to learn here. Maybe I need to learn to accept compromise, especially when it's in my favor. I am heading to bed now but maybe we can talk in the morning. You have always promptly returned my emails and I do appreciate that.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
smilligan|1382688613|3544316 said:
This is a very professional and straight-forward response. It also explains a lot of the murkier details in this thread. I've never dealt with JbEG personally, but from reading these posts and past reviews, I can honestly say that they seem to offer a high level of customer commitment and care. On the other hand, I can understand why the OP is so upset. An engagement ring is more than just a piece of jewelry - it's a part of who you are (in many cases). As such, there is a certain intrinsic value that is very difficult to replicate. I think that emotions are very high right now and that the OP is hurt by what has occurred. This makes it easy to become defensive or find fault with other people's opinions. There is nothing wrong with that, per se (and you are entitled to a certain degree of sympathy), but I think you should take a step back, take a deep breath, and really evaluate the situation. Even if you felt that JbEG wasn't willing to work with you before, it's clear that they are now. It does take time when dealing with insurance and legal issues, but that will give you more time to find the perfect replacement, if you haven't already. :) Also, I don't think that you should be upset by the fact that they posted in this thread. Since you originated the thread, and since they are members here at PS, it is natural that they would try to clear the air. I hope that you don't take offense to what I'm saying. I think that this is an issue that can be amicably resolved, given the right amount of time.

I think you are completely right. I am completely intimidated by trying to start over. I do feel that they are willing to work with me, but I needed to know what I was entitled to ask for. I have never filed a claim so I didn't know the process. I appreciate your response :))

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
susanrachel I'm SO sorry that you've lost your ring.

I did find one stone that *might* work. It's an AVC that is 1.39 carats and is in a setting (I'm sure they'd be willing to remove it considering what has happened) and they also carry many lines of designer settings. Its actually a PSers mens ring. Beautiful stone too!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11224/

ETA: DBL seem to have a lot of stones that might work too

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/categories/loose-diamonds#colors=diamond_color_yellow&intensity=&shapes=old_mine_brilliant&carat-min=&carat-max=&price-min=&price-max=&cat_id=207&ring_types=&page=1

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If JM allows you to do a cash out option, I think you should do that. Right now emotions are pretty high, and you wouldn't want to have to make a decision right now when have negative emotions attached to it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1382716614|3544488 said:
If JM allows you to do a cash out option, I think you should do that. Right now emotions are pretty high, and you wouldn't want to have to make a decision right now when have negative emotions attached to it.

Ditto. Then there is no time pressure. You can do this project again when your heart is ready.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cygnet|1382679306|3544259 said:
Oh no! That is just awful. I really hope you can get this resolved soon.

With regards to your question as to how to send an expensive jewelry item in the mail, here's how it's done in my experience:

Sent via UPS or FedEx, overnight or 2day generally.

Packed in bag with packing list, taped to the inside of a small box. Box sealed. Place box in tamper proof bag. Place bagged box into larger box and ship using nondescript label. Our shipments are registered and covered by company insurance. If something were lost in the mail, the customer would not be held responsible for the loss. :nono:

UPS or FedEx don't provide insurance to individuals to cover jewelry loss over $100.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DbEG... how horrible for you and what a good vendor you are.. I had to give up an original engagement ring that was an old european cut and hope to - in the future - replace it and will be sure to look at your site.. I like the amount of pictures you place of your stones/rings.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SusanRachel! I can't speak for anyone but me, but I would never shun you.. I think emails are very difficult to get points across and being robbed is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo emotional (having had my car broken in to.. valuable items stolen out of the trunk.. house keys.. oh it was a mess).. so the feeling of violation is VERY STRONG.. the JbEG seems very accomodating and I'm sure this rarely if ever happens to them but it is business and I'm sure they are aware it COULD happen, first off let me say the POOPHEAD(s) who did this are the ones who have caused this strife for YOU and your vendor.. maybe they be caught and incarcerated till kingdom come.. :) an honest business and an honest client and an evil carrier of some kind.. one HOPES there may be cameras about.. ... I am very very sorry as I said to you I have experienced this violation.. To your vendor.. I think you did a great job of doing your business and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from you.. and SRachel I look truly forward to seeing your new ring at some point in time!! Peace to you always.. and also to JbEG.. :sun:

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion, you should not be hesitant to continue to work with them after this experience. They have the best customer service and are helping you to replace something that, in a way, is irreplaceable, because of the nature of the stone. Erica and Grace will bend over backwards to find a resolution.

In regard to sending the ring back because of the prongs - I would have never done that. My rings came from JBEG - vintage art deco setting from the 30s. When it was appraised, it was noted to be in "good condition." After wearing it a few days, it was scratching my finger. There is very delicate filigree and some of it was broken and it needed to be laser welded, due to the age of the setting. They graciously offered to pay for the repairs that my local jeweler made, so I would not have to send it back. I sure this could have been an option for you too.

It is my understand that they sell consignment and estate pieces, so they may not be able to replace the piece in exactly the same setting, because they are not a Tacori dealer and you did not pay retail price for the setting.

They have so many other lovely rings you could pick that would make you stand out in your ABUs.

Please let them help you resolve it. And, we will be here to support you if you want to show us the opinions they are giving you.
What about one of these beauties:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/175ct-est-Old-European-Cut/21058567_dP35Vc#!i=1674487029&k=DFnKfZW

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Modern-and-Estate-Pieces/153ct-Light-Yellow-Diamond/23766473_sJGvT3#!i=1925146479&k=JZwDFCN

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Susanrachel -- I'm so sorry about what happened to you. Sounds like this is a very emotional and stressful time, but I promise it will all work out because the JbEG ladies are really the best. It might be good to step back, take a deep breath, and think about what new ring you would love to see on your finger. Maybe it's best not to try to re-create the original exactly, since it would be so hard. Maybe something new that would be totally cool and unique and lovely. I hope you'll have something like that soon!

Here's what I'm curious about, in the quote below, bolded...

ericad|1382679692|3544262 said:
She did everything right - she opened it in front of the mail carrier, alerted us immediately and filed a police report.

is it a good practice to open your packages *in front of the mail carrier* ??? I never do that. Is that a common practice? Is that the only way to prove that something was stolen out of your package?

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
GemFever|1382739796|3544707 said:
is it a good practice to open your packages *in front of the mail carrier* ??? I never do that. Is that a common practice? Is that the only way to prove that something was stolen out of your package?

I think ericad was trying to say that if the package appears damaged or tampered with, it is best to open it in front of the mail carrier. That way, you will have a witness and they can't say that you lied and stole it yourself to file a false claim.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smilligan|1382746042|3544763 said:

I think ericad was trying to say that if the package appears damaged or tampered with, it is best to open it in front of the mail carrier. That way, you will have a witness and they can't say that you lied and stole it yourself to file a false claim.

This. The shipping box looked damaged, so she opened it in front of the mail carrier.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
smilligan|1382746042|3544763 said:

Exactly this. Even if she had opened it at home, the claim would have been fine, but because she noticed the tampering immediately , it was great thinking on her part to ask the carrier to stay until she opened the box.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started having things shipped to the Fed Ex Shipping Center and I do just that... I open it in the store... I don't usuall whip out what's in the box in front of everyone but I look to make sure things are as they should be... I think this is a great practice a lot less opportunity to be pilfered...

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the replies guys. Now it makes perfect sense. Good thinking on the part of the OP!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1382747720|3544784 said:
I started having things shipped to the Fed Ex Shipping Center and I do just that... I open it in the store... I don't usuall whip out what's in the box in front of everyone but I look to make sure things are as they should be... I think this is a great practice a lot less opportunity to be pilfered...

Yes, I do this too . When I have an expensive item I have it shipped "hold for pickup" to my local FedEx. Then I know it won't be left at my doorstep and also I know that I will have a witness when I open it or if there is tampering.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
D_GURU|1382814157|3545148 said:
Susan,

Sorry about the loss and the emotional distress that comes with it,

running a business i understand the whole thing coming online is really bad for any company

if you are ok with the option, i would recommend you to take the insurance check (for the full amount you paid) and take this offline, i do see from all the posts JBEG trying everything to make this right for you.

Do you mean offline like in private or off line as in not using an online vendor ??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly think this is a case of misunderstanding due to the emotional nature of the situation. JBEG does have great customer service and I am pretty impressed that they filed the claim and got a reply from JM so quickly! :appl:

But to the OP, I think you are uncertain about what you want at this point, and you absolutely need to take the cash settlement and take some time to choose a new ring. Best of luck to you in finding one that you'll love even more!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SusanRachel, I am so sorry this happened to you...that is terribly upsetting! If it were me though I would totally continue to work with JbEG because they are the best in terms of customer service and quality IMO. They will make it right! I can understand how you feel because of all that you have been through and ofc it is understandable if you just want to cash out and start over when you are feeling ready to but, if you stick with Erica and Grace I know you will end up with the ring of your dreams. They will do everything within their power to get that for you. Just food for thought.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, sorry to hear about your loss, and the emotional trauma you must be going through.

I hope you would be able to reach a satisfactory arrangement with the vendor, and be able to put this to bed and move on.

Better to lose material possession than one's sanity, IMHO.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results