shape
carat
color
clarity

$10,000 ring stolen enroute via USPS :'(

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
Can anyone give me the correct way to send a $10,000 ring to a customer? I purchased a diamond, mailed my tacori setting to the vendor, and when it was shipped back the package had been intercepted. The ring was stolen, the box was retaped and delivered to me. The package was shipped USPS overnight delivery with signature confirmation. Can any other vendors chime in and tell me if this is proper? The package was insured only for $100 because the company says they have an umbrella policy with Jewelers Mutual to replace "with like".

The federal investigator from USPS says that express packages get tossed into a bin with the rest of the mail, whereas registered mail gets signed for by each person that touches the package. The investigator told me that he was appalled this was sent regular mail, even express.

Is he correct? How do you mail your rings and diamonds to people? And what do I do now?

_11243.jpg

_11244.jpg

_11245.jpg

_11246.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THAT IS AWFUL!!! I would be just sick :nono: ... I hope it was insured!!!

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
Mayk- that's my problem :( I have insurance through USAA, but they don't cover it when it is "in the hands of the federal government." I have it covered under my valuable personal property with USAA also, but it doesn't cover it because it was still considered in the process of being set. :( I have to rely on their insurance policy but I have no idea what I am entitled to expect. I asked for a refund and they said no way, they can only replace with "like". I don't want to do business with them anymore. I've had nothing but heartbreak every step of the way. The first time they sent it to me the prongs were terrible and the stone was incredibly loose! So now I think they might replace the setting but I'm afraid there is no way to get a stone like that again :(. And I don't want their bench touching my new ring since it's obviously inept :(

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I've shipped to vendors (JbEG, DBL, Sareen, ERD) I've always paid them for postage. They send two labels. Always addressed in such a way that it doesn't SCREAM JEWELRY.. You should use two boxes, I pack my jewelry boxes in a plastic bag, wrap them in bubble wrap and tape them to the inside of the box so they don't slide around.. then there is a label for the interior box.. and the interior box is placed inside a larger box... with the generic label. No issues, thankfully, and I've shipped a bunch.. also stuff I've sold like on ebay.. same packaing practice...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Search craigslist. I've seen people have much trying to find stolen things there.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
Thank you Mayk for your input. Do you insure the package through the delivery service (USPS, FedEx etc) or do you rely on your umbrella policy to cover if such a loss occurs? (Is that rude to ask?) and do you just ship express or registered?

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
Neil - I have about 10 ads posted on Craigslist now. I've even offered a $1000 reward for recovery. To twist the knife in my heart, I had a scammer from the Midwest call me and tell me he had my ring and would mail it back if I wired him the money. An actual person on an actual phone call. Not like an anonymous email or something. some people are really awful ;(

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
USPS that was correct
But you did not use "registered, insured"
Next time use USPS, Registered, Insured". I think they insure up to $25K. It has to be packaged properly with paper tape, no plastic tape.
Whenever I sent diamonds back to a jeweler, I use the above way. It is slow, but always gets there.
It is signed for and locked up at each location. If it ever goes missing they will cut the "baxxs" (or appropriate part) off the last person to touch it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry.

I send everything registered mail. It's the safest and best way, and generally the cheapest too.

Many vendors use FedEx though, but they get insurance from a 3rd party.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
susanrachel28|1382659592|3544048 said:
Thank you Mayk for your input. Do you insure the package through the delivery service (USPS, FedEx etc) or do you rely on your umbrella policy to cover if such a loss occurs? (Is that rude to ask?) and do you just ship express or registered?

Sorry.. I should have told you that.. I've actually done both... I would rather purchase the carrier's insurance even with the extra cost to me it's worth it. I don't want to have to use my Jewelers Mutual unless I lose it or someone steals it...

For a while I had my rings in my husband's handgun safe.. I was always worried someone would break in and steal the handgun safe. Probably not the best place to put them :nono:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I understand you correctly, a vendor sent your completed ring express mail covered by their company insurance policy. That is done all the time by many vendors other than the ones I have dealt with used UPS or FedEx. So there is nothing unusual about it. As an individual I have to use registered mail since that is the best way to send a valuable item insured, unless I pay for the vendor's mailing label and am covered by their insurance.

If you have a return policy on the diamond (which I hope you do), there should be no issue with getting a refund. And obviously they owe you the money for your Tacori setting as well, since I would assume it was covered in the shipping of the completed ring.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
Willy diamond - thank you for that information. I did not know there was specific products like tape that should be used.

Laila619- I appreciate your input. I am grateful for letting me know because I have little experience with this!

Mayk- thanks for the update! It is helpful to hear from someone with your experience!

Diamond seeker2006-
diamondseeker2006 said:
If I understand you correctly, a vendor sent your completed ring express mail covered by their company insurance policy. That is done all the time by many vendors other than the ones I have dealt with used UPS or FedEx. So there is nothing unusual about it. As an individual I have to use registered mail since that is the best way to send a valuable item insured, unless I pay for the vendor's mailing label and am covered by their insurance.

If you have a return policy on the diamond (which I hope you do), there should be no issue with getting a refund. And obviously they owe you the money for your Tacori setting as well, since I would assume it was covered in the shipping of the completed ring.

Thank you for letting me know this. I have never purchased a diamond before online so I didn't know if it was a common practice to mail that way. The only input I had was from the federal investigator. So what do I do if the company insists they cannot issue a refund but only a replacement? And imply that the replacement must be from their own inventory? They did offer me a choice between two very large almost 2.5 carat stones in simple solitaire settings as a replacement but it isn't what I want and I'd rather put that $10k towards something else. I really would prefer not to do business with them anymore but I'm not getting any straight answers from them about what I am entitled to.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
Oh and I had the diamond on lay-away with them so it is a final sale. No returns :(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, then you'll need to make the best possible deal with them. First, tell us about the diamond you bought. Did it have a grading lab certificate such as GIA? If so, it will be easy to replace with a similar diamond. But run it by us and we'll tell you if the replacement is a good one. Post the report on the first diamond if you have it. Or find out the report number so it can be looked up.

They would have to replace a Tacori setting with a Tacori setting. Do not settle for less than that!

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
Thank you diamond seeker. Here is the report. I know it's not a perfect diamond, but it was so pretty :) and it said faint blue on the fluorescence but with the yellow (I'm guessing?) it glowed white under a black light.

_11264.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I overlooked that it was an OEC. How beautiful to have a light yellow OEC in a Tacori setting! I am soooo sorry this happened, but you have every right to have it replaced with equal quality. They have to order you the same Tacori setting OR they need to give you the money from the insurance claim so you can buy another one. If you don't like their setting job, just have the new diamond sent to you and then have the Tacori dealer have it set. That is the best option anyway. Your challenge is going to be insisting on a fair resolution and that includes the replacement or payment for the lost Tacori setting AND an equivalent OEC diamond.

Is this a PriceScope vendor by any chance?

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Is this a PriceScope vendor by any chance?

Yes, I think so. I'm not sure what price scope vendor means, but they are very highly regarded on here. I researched them extensively prior to making a purchase and really it was their customer service in discussing my ring that made me go with them in the first place. Other companies lack the personal interaction but have much larger inventories. I chose them because this little spitfire stone had so much personality and I really liked their company vision. I really liked the person I was working with but now I feel like they just want to brush me under the rug :( :nono:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the shipment was covered under your jeweler's Jewelers Mutual policy, have them start a claim. A JM commercial policy is better insurance than what USPS is selling anyway.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
denverappraiser|1382667737|3544158 said:
If the shipment was covered under your jeweler's Jewelers Mutual policy, have them start a claim. A JM commercial policy is better insurance than what USPS is selling anyway.

They told me they sent the documents yesterday to JM for the claim. Do you know what my rights are as far as the equivalent replacement is? What if I don't like the stone? Do I even have a choice?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
susanrachel28|1382667911|3544163 said:

They told me they sent the documents yesterday to JM for the claim. Do you know what my rights are as far as the equivalent replacement is? What if I don't like the stone? Do I even have a choice?
You are not the insured, the jeweler is. That said, JM is generally both fast and reasonable. Pretty much they will use that EGL-USA report and whatever other paperwork you have about the item as a purchase order to find one that's comparable. If you don't like what they find and they get tired of negotiating abut it, they'll cash out at what they estimate it would cost them to find one that comparable. You can then shop for yourself.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
denverappraiser|1382668497|3544173 said:
susanrachel28|1382667911|3544163 said:

You are not the insured, the jeweler is. That said, JM is generally both fast and reasonable. Pretty much they will use that EGL-USA report and whatever other paperwork you have about the item as a purchase order to find one that's comparable. If you don't like what they find and they get tired of negotiating abut it, they'll cash out at what they estimate it would cost them to find one that comparable. You can then shop for yourself.

Thank you for that information. It is much appreciated.

zz00ter

Rough_Rock
Are you sure the jeweller actually put the ring in the box?
Such an easy insurance scam to pull.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh no! That is just awful. I really hope you can get this resolved soon.

With regards to your question as to how to send an expensive jewelry item in the mail, here's how it's done in my experience:

Sent via UPS or FedEx, overnight or 2day generally.

Packed in bag with packing list, taped to the inside of a small box. Box sealed. Place box in tamper proof bag. Place bagged box into larger box and ship using nondescript label. Our shipments are registered and covered by company insurance. If something were lost in the mail, the customer would not be held responsible for the loss. :nono:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi all,

We're the jeweler being referenced here. For the sake of keeping everything straight, I'd like to clarify a few details:

We ship via Fed Ex, UPS and USPS. All shipments are fully covered via our 3rd party insurer, and we always use a zero value with the carrier because obviously we don't want carrier employees to know that they are handling a high value package. This is normal practice, as is using USPS Express Mail for packages valued up to $25k (next day service, while Registered can take up to 2 weeks.) SusanRachel's package was fully insured during transit. Also, paper tape doesn't apply to Express packages - that is reserved for Registered Mail only.

She received the package and it was immediately evident to her that the box had been tampered with. She did everything right - she opened it in front of the mail carrier, alerted us immediately and filed a police report. The ring was stolen from the box, and it was taped back up and delivered to her empty. Had we known that she had experienced USPS anomalies in prior weeks, we would have certainly shipped via Fed Ex, but we had no idea about this until after the theft (she only put 2 and 2 together after the incident as well.)

We immediately notified our insurer and let SusanRachel know that we would do everything in our power to make her whole, and then some. We were sick over this loss - this is the first loss we have ever incurred. As the loss payees ourselves, we asked her what she wanted - she told us that another Tacori would be too painful for her (bad association due to the loss) so we offered her 2 much larger, whiter stones set in a simple solitaire. We also offered her a comparably sized stone (actually still a little larger and whiter than her original stone) in a more ornate custom Tacori-inspired setting (so that it would be similar but not the same). She asked for more time to think about what she wanted, and we of course agreed and sat tight waiting to hear from her.

We have never denied SusanRachel any of the various cash out/replacement scenarios she's requested since the loss. Because we don't exactly know what our insurer will approve, we've had to say, "we don't know, but we'll ask our insurance rep and get back to you." She had requested cash-out and we inquired on the same day with our insurer and let her know the following morning that it has been approved. Shortly thereafter (earlier today), she requested an in-kind replacement and in this case, we have told her that we acknowledge her request and will get back to her as soon as we confirm this with our insurance rep and they advise us how to proceed.

In the past two days we've told her that she can receive either cash or she can receive an in-kind replacement (and of course she can preview and approve the stone before committing to it). If she wishes to have the same Tacori mounting (we just received this request for the first time today), then we will reach out to our trade contacts because we're not a Tacori dealer. But we can get her another Tacori if that's what she wants.

SusanRachel, we understand that this is a devastating loss and an emotional time for you. We are walking the fine line between being sensitive to your feelings and keeping the process moving forward. Truly, our sole objective is to make you happy. If what you want is a diamond similar to the one you lost, we will scour the globe to find it (though I'm being honest when I tell you that it won't be easy to find a 1.5ct light yellow OMC with flourescence, and for that I'm sorry. OMC's are very rare these days, let alone one as specific as this, but we will move mountains to try and find a similar stone.) But if you want to consider other options, then we can revisit some of the stones we offered to you when the loss first occurred, or we can call in new stones from other dealers for your consideration.

All we need to know is: would you prefer cash or replacement? We would love nothing more than to get this settled and buttoned up so that you have a beautiful ring on your finger. As we've told you before, we feel terrible for the loss you incurred. If we could go back in time and ship the package differently, we would.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
susanrachel28|1382664012|3544093 said:
Willy diamond - thank you for that information. I did not know there was specific products like tape that should be used.

Laila619- I appreciate your input. I am grateful for letting me know because I have little experience with this!

Mayk- thanks for the update! It is helpful to hear from someone with your experience!

Diamond seeker2006-
diamondseeker2006 said:

Thank you for letting me know this. I have never purchased a diamond before online so I didn't know if it was a common practice to mail that way. The only input I had was from the federal investigator. So what do I do if the company insists they cannot issue a refund but only a replacement? And imply that the replacement must be from their own inventory? They did offer me a choice between two very large almost 2.5 carat stones in simple solitaire settings as a replacement but it isn't what I want and I'd rather put that $10k towards something else. I really would prefer not to do business with them anymore but I'm not getting any straight answers from them about what I am entitled to.

SusanRachel, we cannot issue a refund because you purchased your diamond from us over a year ago, and your setting was purchased elsewhere. Refund is not in any way applicable here. But we did let you know that we can give you a cash settlement from the insurance claim, so that you can go buy whatever you want, wherever you want. You were never told "no way" by anyone from JbEG. If you want cash, we can give you cash. If you want an in-kind replacement, we can replace it for you.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
ericad|1382680758|3544269 said:
susanrachel28|1382664012|3544093 said:

Diamond seeker2006-
diamondseeker2006 said:

SusanRachel, we cannot issue a refund because you purchased your diamond from us over a year ago, and your setting was purchased elsewhere. Refund is not in any way applicable here. But we did let you know that we can give you a cash settlement from the insurance claim, so that you can go buy whatever you want, wherever you want. You were never told "no way" by anyone from JbEG. If you want cash, we can give you cash. If you want an in-kind replacement, we can replace it for you.

Woah what?! I was never told about a cash settlement. I was told that you didn't know how to proceed if I wanted to purchase from someone else. And I knew a refund was out of the question because of layaway, but I only received the ring in April, and the prongs were horribly done and the stone itself was LOOSE! I sent it back (reluctantly, but I really am fond of Grace and she does have wonderful customer service) and then finally it was sent back to me after MONTHS, early October, when it was stolen. I literally had that diamond on my finger for two whole hours in April before several people here on PS told me to put it away because I would lose it due to the amount of shake. I emailed Grace yesterday and told her I found a suitable replacement and wanted a refund of what I paid to put towards this instead since you don't have any light yellow stones in my price range that have the fluorescence like my other stone. She said she didn't know how to proceed and would get back to me when she heard from the representative from JM. So please tell me what I am entitled to. What are your suggestions for an in-kind replacement and how much is the cash settlement offer? I've invested a lot of money, time, and emotional effort in this ring to include shipping and taxes and not to mention you never returned my Asha (small in comparison, but still $). I just feel very sad that it took me coming here to receive an answer ;( :nono: and all I was trying to do was ask questions to be prepared to negotiate a fair settlement with you guys.

As for my emotional investment, this is my *one thing* that I can wear and see when I'm in ABUs to set me apart and make me actually feel like a woman when I'm wearing combat boots. I've been saving, literally, for years. This has been such a disappointment and I am completely heartbroken.

D

Deactivated member 42515

This thread is making me feel weird and something is fishy. I highly doubt that jbeg didn't try to make you happy. They are one the nicest, most kind vendors on here and they ALWAYS bend backwards for their clients. I'm sure that you were not the exception. I'm believe that was Erica is saying is true.

Maybe in your emotional distress, you misinterpreted some of their emails.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
ericad said:
Hi all,

We're the jeweler being referenced here. For the sake of keeping everything straight, I'd like to clarify a few details:

We ship via Fed Ex, UPS and USPS. All shipments are fully covered via our 3rd party insurer, and we always use a zero value with the carrier because obviously we don't want carrier employees to know that they are handling a high value package. This is normal practice, as is using USPS Express Mail for packages valued up to $25k (next day service, while Registered can take up to 2 weeks.) SusanRachel's package was fully insured during transit. Also, paper tape doesn't apply to Express packages - that is reserved for Registered Mail only.

She received the package and it was immediately evident to her that the box had been tampered with. She did everything right - she opened it in front of the mail carrier, alerted us immediately and filed a police report. The ring was stolen from the box, and it was taped back up and delivered to her empty. Had we known that she had experienced USPS anomalies in prior weeks, we would have certainly shipped via Fed Ex, but we had no idea about this until after the theft (she only put 2 and 2 together after the incident as well.)

We immediately notified our insurer and let SusanRachel know that we would do everything in our power to make her whole, and then some. We were sick over this loss - this is the first loss we have ever incurred. As the loss payees ourselves, we asked her what she wanted - she told us that another Tacori would be too painful for her (bad association due to the loss) so we offered her 2 much larger, whiter stones set in a simple solitaire. We also offered her a comparably sized stone (actually still a little larger and whiter than her original stone) in a more ornate custom Tacori-inspired setting (so that it would be similar but not the same). She asked for more time to think about what she wanted, and we of course agreed and sat tight waiting to hear from her.

We have never denied SusanRachel any of the various cash out/replacement scenarios she's requested since the loss. Because we don't exactly know what our insurer will approve, we've had to say, "we don't know, but we'll ask our insurance rep and get back to you." She had requested cash-out and we inquired on the same day with our insurer and let her know the following morning that it has been approved. Shortly thereafter (earlier today), she requested an in-kind replacement and in this case, we have told her that we acknowledge her request and will get back to her as soon as we confirm this with our insurance rep and they advise us how to proceed.

In the past two days we've told her that she can receive either cash or she can receive an in-kind replacement (and of course she can preview and approve the stone before committing to it). If she wishes to have the same Tacori mounting (we just received this request for the first time today), then we will reach out to our trade contacts because we're not a Tacori dealer. But we can get her another Tacori if that's what she wants.

SusanRachel, we understand that this is a devastating loss and an emotional time for you. We are walking the fine line between being sensitive to your feelings and keeping the process moving forward. Truly, our sole objective is to make you happy. If what you want is a diamond similar to the one you lost, we will scour the globe to find it (though I'm being honest when I tell you that it won't be easy to find a 1.5ct light yellow OMC with flourescence, and for that I'm sorry. OMC's are very rare these days, let alone one as specific as this, but we will move mountains to try and find a similar stone.) But if you want to consider other options, then we can revisit some of the stones we offered to you when the loss first occurred, or we can call in new stones from other dealers for your consideration.

All we need to know is: would you prefer cash or replacement? We would love nothing more than to get this settled and buttoned up so that you have a beautiful ring on your finger. As we've told you before, we feel terrible for the loss you incurred. If we could go back in time and ship the package differently, we would.

Wow Erica, I missed this the first time. I only saw the later reply first. As this is the first time I've ever spoken to you, I must say you are very nice and diplomatic. I appreciate your attention now, but why wasn't this sent to me privately? I never outed you and I wasn't planning on it. I also was not told a cash settlement was even an option. In fact I was told cash not an option and had to be replaced with like. I confirmed this on JM website. The first I heard if cash was here on this forum. As for the replacement, Military legal advised me to tell you to accept a replacement in kind and well, in the military we kinda do what we're told most of the time. I don't even know what my rights are. I don't know what I'm entitled to. The two stones you offered me, one was an M, and one was a U-V. They both are beautiful and big, but certainly the U-V was not whiter. And I don't think it's fair that you include the offer for the ornate setting. I had been burned by your bench the first time (if they had done the prongs correctly the first time we wouldn't be discussing this now) and I feel it would be unwise to trust an entire ring to them, although I've seen things your company has created for other PSers and they are beautiful... Don't know what happened with mine :(sad And I told you I needed time because I was scheduled for major surgery the week after it got stolen :(sad I really wish this had just been presented to me privately rather than out here in the forum. I don't want to be shunned for being unhappy with you guys. This is the one place that understands my fascination with diamonds. 8) I've always said how nice you are, and I learned here on the forums that you and your bench are not the same. I also think you guys have a wonderful eye for beautiful stones. I just feel like I have some horrible luck and no one cared (till now).

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
YT said:
This thread is making me feel weird and something is fishy. I highly doubt that jbeg didn't try to make you happy. They are one the nicest, most kind vendors on here and they ALWAYS bend backwards for their clients. I'm sure that you were not the exception. I'm believe that was Erica is saying is true.

That's fair, given their reputation.

Grace did immediately respond when I told her it was stolen. She listened to me while I sobbed on the phone incoherently telling her what happened. They are the nicest vendors I've ever dealt with, I've always said that. But their options were not pleasing to me. I didn't want the two stones that were presented. I didn't want their bench to recreate something for me. I wanted to be able to take my money elsewhere because they didn't have any stones that were in my budget with the specs I wanted. I knew my little gem was a special find which is why I went to great lengths to put it on layaway last September. When I was told they didn't know how to proceed I was upset because I felt like I was getting the run around and didn't know what to do. That's why I came here. I didn't name them and I wasn't planning to. I just needed advice :(sad And I must have misinterpreted their email because I was never aware of a cash settlement. I will go reread them now.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
susanrachel28|1382684593|3544299 said:
YT said:

That's fair, given their reputation.

Grace did immediately respond when I told her it was stolen. She listened to me while I sobbed on the phone incoherently telling her what happened. They are the nicest vendors I've ever dealt with, I've always said that. But their options were not pleasing to me. I didn't want the two stones that were presented. I didn't want their bench to recreate something for me. I wanted to be able to take my money elsewhere because they didn't have any stones that were in my budget with the specs I wanted. I knew my little gem was a special find which is why I went to great lengths to put it on layaway last September. When I was told they didn't know how to proceed I was upset because I felt like I was getting the run around and didn't know what to do. That's why I came here. I didn't name them and I wasn't planning to. I just needed advice :(sad And I must have misinterpreted their email because I was never aware of a cash settlement. I will go reread them now.

First, I am sorry about your loss, it had to be heartbreaking. That said, this whole thread seems weird. I have never personally experienced or seen Jbeg do anything other than bend over backwards to accommodate clients and make them as happy as possibly. So to see it thrown out here that they are giving you the run around or not giving good service seems off to me. But maybe (understandably) heightened emotions are coming into play with that assessment?

Could it be possible they said they didn't know how to proceed because you changed your mind more than once on how you wanted it resolved, which required them to check with insurance each time to make sure it is an option Jbeg and you could persue? I highly doubt they would ever give you the run around to get out of this situation. It sounds like they and their insurance are working hard to accommodate your changing desires on how to resolve this. Erica said in her post earlier that they got the cash out approved and let you know that, if that is what you want then take the offer. But then you requested the in-kind replacement, so they have to check on that. It takes time. The back and forth of wanting a cash out, then a replacement is going to make the situation more exhausting and frustrating for you. It appears to me that you need to take some time, take a deep breath, decide how you want to move forward, and commit to it.

If you didn't want the information aired out on here, I wouldn't have started a thread discussing it and posting pictures from their photo site, which the majority of psers could identify immediately. It is not wrong of you to post, but don't expect them to sit silently as your side is being laid out-they have a right to explain their side too. And in my opinion they are doing everything within their power to fix this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results